HELP! Runescape Not Working On My Computer!

Aceethan

So, ever since the day of the bot nuke, Runescape will not work on my MacBook. Runescape does however work on my Mac desk top, and my grandparents old Dell, and my other grandparents older Dell. It tells me that I don't have Java , and or the correct form of Java, but I could play before the bot nuke and now when I go to the Software Update, there are no Java updates! Where do I get Java? The other three computers seemed to gain it automatically, but when I look for ways to obtain Java, the only option seems to be going and buying a 30$ program install, but I didn't need to do that for my other Mac or even the older Dells. What the heck? If someone has any idea how to fix this, the advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Aceethan, have you tried the Mac OS X RS Client Download, direct from Jagex's own RuneScape website? :geek:

~D. V. "Question needing asking..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

That wasn't very helpful. When I click, Play Runescape, it takes me to this screen.

G4VCy.png

When I hit the first, click here, it takes me to this screen.

3PTG8.png

When I hit the big red, Free Java Download, button it takes me to this screen.

v0saq.png

And then when I go to the Software Update there is no Java update.

THIS IN RESPONSE TO EZEE

Aceethan, have you tried the Mac OS X RS Client Download, direct from Jagex's own RuneScape website? :geek:

I could for sure do this, but I shouldn't need to. There has to be a way to install Java, but I don't know how.

Well, I am not familiar with macs so probably won't be a big help here, but have you tried to check on the Java site which version of Java you have installed? It's a link right below the download button.

Also, what version of the OS do you have?

I could for sure do this, but I shouldn't need to. There has to be a way to install Java, but I don't know how.

Just tried. This came up.

2CiT4.png

Seeing this, it sounds to me like you're hosed. Apple is probably no longer putting out updates for Java for the OS X version that is running on your MacBook. Worse, your MacBook may have a CPU that is no longer compatible with Java, and as equally can't accept an OS X upgrade (which would provide more Java upgrades) for the same reason. :geek:

Sorry, Aceethan, because it looks like you're totally out of luck. Might I suggest buying a PC instead? Honestly, they don't cost as much as Apple-made products, and there happens to be a far greater and longer compatibility lifetime when it comes to things like Java. Anyway, I just don't see the point in putting up with the trouble that Apple causes with Java, and I know that no one wants to have to shell out ~$2000 for an Apple-made system that's only going to do well for just a few years. :(

~D. V. "This is my opinion... No offense intended to die-hard Apple users!" Devnull

=========================================

EDIT: Just saw your additional posts... You should report that issue to Jagex, and fast. They might be able to help you get playing with the client, since everything else has failed. If, and only if, that doesn't work, then what I posted above still fully applies. :huh:

~D. V. "Wishing I had checked Post Preview first..." Devnull

Edited by D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Well, I am not familiar with macs so probably won't be a big help here, but have you tried to check on the Java site which version of Java you have installed? It's a link right below the download button.

Also, what version of the OS do you have?

Version 10.5.8

If it's the 64-bit version, you can only play with the downloadable client. If it's the 32-bit version, you cannot play at all.

That is due to this.

Apple has stopped the support for any version below 10.6, which probably means that you should invest in getting the new OS. I expect you might have issues with other Java applications as well.

Seeing this, it sounds to me like you're hosed. Apple is probably no longer putting out updates for Java for the OS X version that is running on your MacBook. Worse, your MacBook may have a CPU that is no longer compatible with Java, and as equally can't accept an OS X upgrade (which would provide more Java upgrades) for the same reason. :geek:

Sorry, Aceethan, because it looks like you're totally out of luck. Might I suggest buying a PC instead? Honestly, they don't cost as much as Apple-made products, and there happens to be a far greater and longer compatibility lifetime when it comes to things like Java. Anyway, I just don't see the point in putting up with the trouble that Apple causes with Java, and I know that no one wants to have to shell out ~$2000 for an Apple-made system that's only going to do well for just a few years. :(

~D. V. "This is my opinion... No offense intended to die-hard Apple users!" Devnull

I appreciate the advice, but I'm not going to switch to a PC just for gaming. I've owned both PCs and MacBooks and I've come to the conclusion the Macs are far superior, in everything except gaming. No Runescape is annoying, but doesn't warrant a change.

If it's the 64-bit version, you can only play with the downloadable client. If it's the 32-bit version, you cannot play at all.

That is due to this.

Apple has stopped the support for any version below 10.6, which probably means that you should invest in getting the new OS. I expect you might have issues with other Java applications as well.

Well thats really annoying, stupid Apple.

Well, it might be enough if you buy the newest (or newer) version of the OS, without having to switch to PC altogether. No idea how much those upgrades cost though.

Yeah.... Me neither

(Sorry about the triple post, it was an accident)

The reason you're not allowed to play Runescape currently is due to Apple disabling Java on all of their devices [Mac OSx].

"That update also reconfigures the Java web plug-in to disable the automatic execution of Java applets by default (in Lion, at least...)."

The is because of a virus/malware called "Flashback" that was using a Java intrusion. http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/12/apple-releases-fix-for-flashback-malware// and http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57410050-248/mac-flashback-malware-what-it-is-and-how-to-get-rid-of-it-faq/

Both of those explain exactly what this is. But, do NOT be discouraged. You can still play RS [Though, I do agree you should upgrade to 10.6/10.7 for better support].

You're welcome to go to the Runescape Tech Help forums for expert advice/help from their own support staff regarding how to handle this. In the meantime I will be going through this topic and typing up a detailed 'How-To' on how to get you back onto Runescape.

Also, might I point out. This isn't a "Upgrade your Java" it's a 'Hold on, we're disabling your java while we find a permanent fix for this intrusion. You can however re-enable it if you see fit, however we cannot give any advice if you do so.'

This, right now is your best bet. Try it out, to see if it MIGHT work. This also brings up if you're on 32bit or 64bit. [Like Jonanananas states below in the link regarding Mac OSC 10.5 running on 32bit no longer supports Runescape might be the cause.] < for your Macbook

That is due to this.

Others have stated, that Apple no longer supports Java for anything under 10.6 [snow Leopard] However, you can find the correct version by going to Apple's Support website: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1359

Also. Can you please find out your current MacBook's Processor? You can do that by: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3696

This can help me, along with some others to correctly identify your problems.

[However, like stated. You honestly should update your Macbook. My Old macbook still uses 10.4.11 8S165 because I honestly have no reason to upgrade it. (I have other mac's that are up to date)]