Richard III

Ezkaton

So for all those like me who are history buffs, there is a possibility of Richard III having been found in the Greyfriars car park in Leicestershire. And as Professor Lin Foxhall says: "Archaeology almost never finds named individuals" so this is an extraordinarily amazing find!

The skeleton they have found seems to fit in with what would be expected - ie. Caved in skull (Richard is said to have had his skull bashed in by chroniclers) and scoliosis which would have made one shoulder look slightly higher than the other.

What're your thoughts on it. Also this could open up to an interesting discussion about the House of York vs the House of Lancaster.

Article for those interested: http://www.bbc.co.uk...rshire-19561018

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

^Its odd I absolutely love history and could bore someone for hours talking about ancient Rome but when it comes to archaeology I feel like falling asleep. Nonetheless this is a pretty cool find. Don't know much about Richard III bar whats mentioned in Shakespeare - shall have to do some reading.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

The bit I don't understand is I heard they sent the bones from DNA testing to find out.

How exactly is DNA testing supposed to find out considering we don;t have Richard III's dna in the first place?

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The bit I don't understand is I heard they sent the bones from DNA testing to find out.

How exactly is DNA testing supposed to find out considering we don;t have Richard III's dna in the first place?

I would suppose they have some DNA of one of his relatives and they're going to compare them. I guess.

This is a remarkable find for archeologists though! Shows you can find history anywhere.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Giordano has it Sy. They have the DNA of some of Richards direct descendants down the matriarchal line (it's important because... I'm not too sure), or something to that effect my mum was telling me about earlier; and therefore they'll be comparing the DNA from the bones to the DNA of his descendants to see if they can try to legitimately claim a match. So we'll see in 12 weeks!

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Giordano has it Sy. They have the DNA of some of Richards direct descendants down the matriarchal line (it's important because... I'm not too sure), or something to that effect my mum was telling me about earlier; and therefore they'll be comparing the DNA from the bones to the DNA of his descendants to see if they can try to legitimately claim a match. So we'll see in 12 weeks!

Still seems rather odd to me. I mean even in the grandchildren generation it is possible (not likely but possible) that none of his DNA would remain.

Even if you took a linear model ergo kids = 50%, grandkids = 25% etc. It seems like the generation they actually have would have very small odds of holding any matching genes

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Still seems rather odd to me. I mean even in the grandchildren generation it is possible (not likely but possible) that none of his DNA would remain.

Even if you took a linear model ergo kids = 50%, grandkids = 25% etc. It seems like the generation they actually have would have very small odds of holding any matching genes

Not quite how DNA works.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_DNA_test

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Mitochondrial DNA (which is likely what they will be testing for) is only passed down maternally. Without going into too much detail (I'm not a geneticist), this means that your mother, her mother, and all her mothers down the line all had the same DNA, barring any random mutations, seeing that there is no paternal DNA to recombine with.

Article: http://en.wikipedia....tochondrial_dna

• Like 1
22031_s.gif

You guys are right. They found a direct descendant of Richard. The researcher mentioned in one of the articles the phone call he had to make to her telling her that she was a descendant of an English King. I'd loved to have seen her reaction.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

You guys are right. They found a direct descendant of Richard. The researcher mentioned in one of the articles the phone call he had to make to her telling her that she was a descendant of an English King. I'd loved to have seen her reaction.

Do they get anything for that? Do they at least get to shake hands with the Queen?

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

^ nope. There was a documentaryages ago where they traced the English royal line to the Earl of Loudoun who unfortunately died recently.

Also, I love archaeology, surely there's lots of skeletons around with caved in skulls

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

Hehe knew you'd be delighted with this :P

I'll look through the genome book I have and try to find the explanation with the DNA stuff; but I'd guess it'll just be that they'll find specific codes of the DNA of the skeleton and compare it with the descendant and see if there is a match in any specific coding

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

I saw this on reddit a couple of weeks ago, they had confirmed that there was a church or something like that there that in and of itself was a significant find, and said that it was found by combing the piping and finding matching stone samples. They believed the place was his burial ground. I look forward to the results!

• 2 weeks later...

Do they get anything for that? Do they at least get to shake hands with the Queen?

She gets an awesome conversational topic. Also, she can say "And I'm the bloody queen of England!" with more accuracy than most.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

I look forward to hearing more about this possible find. Richard III is definitely one of the more interesting figures from the English history.

A reading tip for anyone who'd like to know more about Richard III: "The Daughter of Time" by Josephine Tey. It's a fun detective novel that at the same time debunks a lot of the myths surrounding Richard.