got hacked what to do (solved on 10-29)

hlpmee

Yesterday morning, I typed the username and password as usual, press Enter, desperately saw this message: "incorrect username match password" or something like that. Shocked.

When I was trying to recover password, soon found out registered email is not matched either. I wrote this info on a piece of paper elsewhere, and not sure if I memorized it right.

This morning I found the paper, tried to recover again, not matched. Shocked.

After virus scan (nothing found) and a few forum searching, finally found a topic "hijacker set registered email" on support forum.

Create a free account and post some details after the topic.

Now I'm a little calm, thinking what might be wrong, regretting not setting bank pin, surprising what hackers can do these days.

While I'm waiting the appeal result, what else should I do?

Aha_its_you.png

Also when you get the account back there's a few steps you can take to help secure things for the future:

1) Link it to a gmail account that has 2 step verification turned on - these are much harder for players to hijack and seeing how email is central to recovery now this is a big help.

2) Setup a bank pin - having a bank pin is the difference between being hacked and losing what you are wearing vs losing your entire bank and cash pile

3) Turn on JAG - It's not a perfect 2 step verification system but it certainly has it's benefits and can effectively lock down your account so select computers making it very hard to hack.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

If nothing comes up after doing virus scans and using anti malware software such as MalwareBytes or SpybotS&D then you probably lost your account to a phishing site (a fake runescape login page) rather than from a keylogger. I do NOT reccomend playing around with HijackThis unless you understand what you are doing as you can seriously damage your computer by removing the wrong things.

As Sy Accursed said there are a number of things that you can do to increase the security of your account:

1. Firstly put on a bank pin immediately. It's a simple addition and ensures that if someone managed to get onto your character they will be unable to siphon off your bank immediately as they will have to wait several days for the pin to reset.

2. Secondly activate JAG. This locks your account to a whitelist fo computers and means that even if someone has your password they will be unable to login to your character on an unauthorised computer.

3. Lastly make sure you are using Gmail or another email providor which has a 2-step verification service. 2-step verification is a system where you not only have to enter your password but you also need to enter a time limited code which either shows on your phone using a smartphone app for sms text message.

If you use all three systems listed above then you are going to be very secure. I could tell you my username and password right now as well as the email address I use for RuneScape and I guarantee you that you would be unable to "hack" my account.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

If you want fast replies, either use the support forum, or email them at [email protected]. Threaten to remove your membership (request your credit card be removed from the account), you'll get a reply within 2-3 hours. And no, I'm not joking.

• Like 1

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

So I was ranting on the support forum, complaining not get response from Mods after 48 hours.

There's a guy said he hasn't get response for 17 weeks...

Damn, this guy really destroyed my last faith, and I believe in him.

Then I cancelled my membership (gracefully they have a cancel by card option).

Aha_its_you.png

You really just have to contact their billing team, contacting their accounthelp email won't do anything. Threaten them by asking them to remove your credit card details from your account manually, it's better if you had a recurring membership.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

In the not so long past I had one of my lesser accounts gets recovered. It's literally been 6+ weeks of nothing on the side of getting a reply from Jagex on both the official forums and through their billing support e-mail. I've all but given up on ever getting that account back.

"And with the first round rapture draft pick, God selects...... Macho Man Randy Savage ohhhh yeaaah brother!"

Also ranting on the support forums won't help matters.

Ranting appears childish, impatient etc. and in a case like this will really put people off helping you. It's just human nature, working in customer service is someone has an issue and is relatively pleasant about it you'll bend over backwards to sort it out and give them a voucher, if they get all ranty and impatient you'll get p****d off and put it further down your to do list and not bother with those extra little outside the normal procedure things you could do to solve it quicker.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

bottom line: if Jagex have stated their response times, they should keep it. customer services is key for all successful business.

Anyways, after sent email following Piu's advise 48 hours ago, I just got reply from Mod Pheby ([email protected]) confirmed my membership is cancelled while asked me do not hesitate to contact them if I have any further issues.

So I describe the situation again, and wait.

Aha_its_you.png

You don't even need an email or recovs if you can remember your first few passwords. I was on a war against the chinese probably 6 months ago and they kept changing my pw + email for the account and I kept putting in my old passwords to get it back.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

I just try to recover my account again. But this time I can fill the recover form because registered email is removed, good start here.

one week since hacked;

5 days since post on support forum;

I email to [email protected] about 8 hours ago; so if anyone have the same problem, try them all, I'm not sure which action is best.

Update: I receive the appeal successful email very soon! now I'm back.

Thanks for all the good advises above, I will use to improve my security. Woot!

Aha_its_you.png

Did you request your account to be locked when you e-mailed their billing support team? Because that was the point of the e-mail, to get your account locked so that if you have a bank pin or anything, your account would be locked before your pin goes off.

[email protected] is not going to help you at all. Trust me.

Effectiveness as follows:

1. Manually recover the account since registered e-mail is removed.

2. Forums (do not rant, instead post according to what they ask on specific threads, e.g. previous passwords, all recovery information)

3. [email protected]

You don't even need an email or recovs if you can remember your first few passwords. I was on a war against the chinese probably 6 months ago and they kept changing my pw + email for the account and I kept putting in my old passwords to get it back.

You can't even recover your account if the hacker sets his registered e-mail on your account.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

Glad that the problem is solved.

I'm just curious, did you have a bank pin and was anything lost on your account?

zuzmo.png

collio.png