200M Slayer? Piece of Cake! - I'm Baaaaaaaack!

As of 7/8/2014

SLAYER XP: 46,345,120

Ohai!

This is, more-or-less, my scenic tour of the road to 200M Slayer. I realize this is quite a hefty undertaking. At this point in time, 17 players have it, with many more on the doorstep. Nonetheless, the skill does still take some time and dedication.

About Myself

I have been playing RuneScape on and off for several years. I started playing more seriously in June of 2008. I have always enjoyed the Slayer skill, and so I searched for a clan chat of likeminded players and that is how I stumbled upon Slayer Guild Version 1, or SGV1 for short. They have been almost a second family for nearly five years; I have never found any guild or group in RS or any other MMO that has been as fun as SGV1. And so in part, I dedicate this blog to them.

Why 200M Slayer?

I love combat. I hate skilling. In fact, you might note that Slayer is my only non-combat 99. I'm OK with that. I don't play as often as I did years ago, and so now my goal is to do what is fun and makes me happy. I have loved the Slayer skill since it came out, and when I was a nooblet, I was in awe of those players who not only had 99, but went above and beyond. I remember running into Mythiquedame one day at like, bloodvelds. At the time she was ranked 6th in the skill, and at the time no one was anywhere 200M. She was the first "semi-famous" RS player I had met, and I had decided from then on, that I too would continue my Slayer training beyond that elusive 99.

What about other skills? Why not max?

Well, as I said, I hate skilling. I also sort of abhor getting too "efficient." I appreciate the time and effort some of my friends both in game and on TIF to figure out the best way or fastest way to do something, but I always have to temper that with how enjoyable the task will be for me. Maxing just isn't a goal that appeals to me. That being said, I DO complete some daily challenges and use my pendants. I have a side goal of getting some skills high enough to open all my effigies. Maybe I will max through effigies someday. Who knows?

Y u no has rapier?! and Y u no use cannon? *UPDATED 7/8/14*

I never liked cannons. I'm too lazy to keep refilling them, and I can't justify the cost. I'm not a fan of dungeoneering, really. Someday, I am sure my guildmates will twist my arm enough to at least get a rapier. Eventually. Well, I guess I needed less twisting than I thought. Since starting this blog, I have done enough solo dungeoneering to earn my first chaotic.   Incidentally, after obtaining drygores, I turned my chaotic maul back into tokens and used them to buy my charm imp.  So now, I'm back to having no chaotic weapons.

And now for the other stats:

DEFENSE XP: 88,981,339
CONSTITUTION XP: 51,864,356
RANGE XP: 19,627,341
MAGE XP: 19,352,800

TASKS COMPLETED: 1722

**Dungeoneering Goals:**

* 90 Dungeoneering
* Chaotic Maul
* Chaotic Crossbow
* Offhand Chaotic Crossbow
* Charming Imp
* Demonhorn Necklace
* Herbicide

Current Quest goals - UPDATED 7/8/14 - :

* All Fired Up
* Back To My Roots
- Tribal Totem
* Carnillean Rising
* Catapult Construction
* Clock Tower
* A Clockwork Syringe
* Do No Evil
- Dealing With Scabaras
- Contact!
* Demon Slayer
* Diamond in the Rough
- Stolen Hearts
* Eagle's Peak
* Elemental Workshop IV
- Elemental Workshop III
* Elemental Workshop II
* Enlightened Journey
* Fur 'N'Seek
- Rag and Bone Man
* Grim Tales
* Gunnar's Ground
* Haunted Mine
* In Pyre Need
* Let Them Eat Pie
* Meeting History
- Making History
* Observatory Quest
* Olaf's Quest
* One Piercing Note
* Perils of Ice Mountain
* Prisoner of Glouphrie
* Ratcatchers
* Rune Memories
* Salt in the Wound
- Kennith's Concerns
* Some Like It Cold
- Hunt for Red Raktuber
* A Soul's Bane
* Spirits of the Elid
* TokTz-Ket-Dill
* What's Mine is Yours
* Within the Light

Good luck, Rapier isn't essential to Slayer thesedays seeing as the majority of weaknesses are Magic/Ranged related.

But not using a Cannon is a strange one, good luck nonetheless.

Good luck, Rapier isn't essential to Slayer thesedays seeing as the majority of weaknesses are Magic/Ranged related.

But not using a Cannon is a strange one, good luck nonetheless.

I got 99 slayer before doing the cannon quest hahha.

Good luck.

WILDERLAND FROM 2006-2014 RIP

2u5xfeq.png

The dark one will take your soul

MINING GOLDS MEMBER SINCE 2013

I got my 99 in May of 2010, prior to most of my guildmates even having chaotic weapons, and well before I even had extremes or turmoil. Cannons just never really appealed to me. I tried it, but found they were just too much work!

About 2 years ago I was about the same stats with the same goal as you, although my ambition for 200M faded away pretty quickly and I only ever managed to hit 70M. I wish the best of luck to you!

oaM0.png
fXPnd.png

I am actually kind of happy about that since Range and Mage are the two combat skills I still need to finish off. Ganos, for example, are a very nice source of Magic XP.

Also, I'd like to thank the random guy at Ganos today who suggested that instead of safespotting with Deflect Mage that I just tank the buggers and keep Soul Split turned on. Made my task so much nicer.

Finished a task of vyrewatch and a task of gargoyles tonight. I knew about certain untradeables being able to be noted with the KK update, but I did not realize that vyre corpses can now be put into yak! That makes tasks in Darkmeyer that much easier now. Also, their weakness may be thrown, but Blisterwood Polearm still cuts through 'em like a hot knife through butter. Also, I assume gargoyles may have been one of the monsters they adjusted with the update today, as I did a task last night with the same method and gear, and I was doing a lot of splashing. Tonight I was actually one-hitting a few of them with Wrack. Talk about a fast task, I did 210 and still had half my Steelie left!

Started a warper tortoise task tonight. Still haven't decided if I want to finally give up and start skipping these. Other tasks have become so quick that these are starting to be boring. I think they were more fun when they were weak to melee.

Only other notable events tonight were: 88 Thieving, and finally reaching the Scythe region in POP.

OK, I finally finished my warped tortoise task. Finally. Couple of observations: They are stupidly slow even with bolts. Granted, I am using rune cbows with broads, but even with Anguish on, and extreme range pots, even abilities are less than stellar. I did these once before post-EoC, so I am guessing their defense may have been buffed up, and not brought back down with yesterday's update. That and I got more perfect shells than regular shells. Long story short, these are so dreadfully boring it's not even worth it for me anymore. These were a fun, quick task when they were still weak to melee. I foresee myself cancelling these, if not blocking them in the future.

Kuradal must want me to level up Magic, however, as she is sending me right back to Gargoyles when I get back from work. I won't complain. :D

Finished another task of Gargoyles, followed by a fairly profitable task of Ganos. Both went very very quick, and my next Magic level is closer on the horizon. Task 1190 is abyssal demons, but I'll save that for later.

I've gone and taken advantage of the 1-year subscription, so I finally broke down and used the Runecoins to buy bankspace. I am a hoarder in the worst way and I could never properly build a loot tab, since I am constantly scrambling for space. Now, that won't be a problem so I will try and hold onto drops for a little bit. Maybe I will sell every so often, or maybe I will see how long I can resist the urge. :P Nonetheless, I will periodically take screenshots of my collection of stuff.

Had a productive evening with roughly 160k Slayer XP gained. Tore through abyssal demons, then back to gargoyles. My next task was dagannoths, and one of my guildmates suggested barraging them at Waterbirth. I tried it, not having really used barrages before, but what a difference! Talk about a lightning fast task. After that I got 246 dark beasts, which were somewhat slow even having been fixed with the last update. I never really noticed the big difference between rune crossbows and upper tier weapons until now. Crystal bow was faster on dark beasts, despite them being weak to bolts. Maybe, just maybe, I might have to do enough dungeoning to get a chaotic crossbow. Following that, I went back to abyssal demons for another easy task, plus a clue scroll with no notable reward. Next up tomorrow is an aquanite task.

In other notable news:

97rangem.jpg

But I hate cannoning, LOL. I don't even own one. :P

In my late-night haze, however, I decided to get the parts for a Royal crossbow, so at least once I get that made I'll have that at my disposal, too.

You hate clicking a cannon, yet you titan tasks? Titan management requires like 3x as much work as clicking a stagnant cannon every minute.

If you can't afford cannonballs, that's one thing, but don't say it's because you dislike using one.

Good luck with your goal.

But I do dislike using one. :P. And to be fair, I am probably far from efficient when it comes to using my titan as well, but I've become accustomed to that. Cannons have always seemed like a big hassle to me.

I have always been sort of a broke noob, so yes, cost does play a factor. But I also dislike having to devote 4 inventory spaces to the cannon, worrying about it degrading on me, retrieving it. That's 4, 5 if you count ammo, extra spaces I could use for loot. Yes, I realize for many, speed and efficiency demands use of a cannon. And that many who are after XP gains often leave most of their drops, if not all of them, behind.

So yes, it is both because of cost, and what I perceive to be a hassle.

I know but, I used to be the same, hate using a cannon, thought it wasnt worth the cost and time (this was when it was more expensive).

But try it out for 10 tasks, then you will get in the habit of using it. Your experience will shoot through the roof. Like Rizhou said, using a titan is much higher apm, and if you can handle a titan, you can most definately handle a cannon :)

And it is even better to use a cannon now because it is cheaper and you can alter what experience it gives. Plus you need the range levels haha :P But I suppose you will get 99 anyway on the way to 200M slayer.

It's really up to you but, I haven't met one person who has not used a cannon once they have given it a serious go.

imp7C.jpg

(22:28:44) <@Leik> LE INTORNUTZ SPEEK xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Mish.png

It's really up to you but, I haven't met one person who has not used a cannon once they have given it a serious go.

I don't use cannon anymore, used to use to pre-EoC

*Just slays using momentum anyway*

Well you're the first then haha. But yeah, I admit I am an efficiency [bleep], I cringed a little when you said you used momentum. But then again we all play this game our own way for our own enjoyment, which is why I havent scaped in over a month because it's just not fun anymore.

• Like 1

imp7C.jpg

Mish.png

Well you're the first then haha. But yeah, I admit I am an efficiency [bleep], I cringed a little when you said you used momentum. But then again we all play this game our own way for our own enjoyment, which is why I havent scaped in over a month because it's just not fun anymore.

Oh trust me, I don't judge anyone who plays this game for efficiency. I mean, hell, we wouldn't have a player who has gained 200M in 24 skills and on the doorstep of another if there wasn't some thought and effort put into optimal XP gains over time. I've played other MMOs where emergent gameplay has changed the game from what the devs intended it to be into a grindy, automated race to the top. I'm loath to mention WoW on here, but there's a reason they say the game doesn't "start" until you reach max level.

RS is how I relax after I come home from work and take care of my IRL responsibilities. But, I'm not totally closed off to new possibilities. I'll take you up on your challenge, Mish. I'll try cannoning the next 10 tasks (that are cannonable) and see how I feel about it. I'll confess I'm a little apprehensive, LOL.

>_> I suppose I shouldn't tell you barraging dagannoths last night was the first time I've ever even USED ancients. :P

Oh trust me, I don't judge anyone who plays this game for efficiency. I mean, hell, we wouldn't have a player who has gained 200M in 24 skills and on the doorstep of another if there wasn't some thought and effort put into optimal XP gains over time. I've played other MMOs where emergent gameplay has changed the game from what the devs intended it to be into a grindy, automated race to the top. I'm loath to mention WoW on here, but there's a reason they say the game doesn't "start" until you reach max level.

RS is how I relax after I come home from work and take care of my IRL responsibilities. But, I'm not totally closed off to new possibilities. I'll take you up on your challenge, Mish. I'll try cannoning the next 10 tasks (that are cannonable) and see how I feel about it. I'll confess I'm a little apprehensive, LOL.

>_> I suppose I shouldn't tell you barraging dagannoths last night was the first time I've ever even USED ancients. :P

In the end it is up to you of course, but amongst serious slayers (you included because of your goal), cannon is considered mandatory. If you don't want to use a cannon that is totally up to you, but be prepared to be criticised about it. Just play for fun man, if I were to go back to RS I would probably just slay and play minigames and not worry about maxing.

imp7C.jpg

Mish.png

Knocked out about another 80k last night. Aquanites are pretty fast now, I really don't know why people hate them so much. I mean, I was doing them before, but they have really improved in speed with EoC. Desert Strykewyrms are about the same as they used to be. Maybe a little faster, but not by much. I am frustrated with that whole glitch with fighting familiars. I had almost forgot about it, and ended up getting so fed up with my titan steeling my kills and having the wyrms disappear that I just dismissed him and finished the task solo.

Task 1200 is Abby demons, but I'll likely be away for most of the weekend, so I'll save it for next time.

Couldn't sleep last night, so I popped on for a bit and knocked out a few more tasks. Abby demons, Ice Wyrms, Abby demons again, and then Dusties. Going to Nechs when I get home from work. 23M is coming up soon, and so is 33M Constitution.

Been crazy busy with IRLScape lately, but I managed to pop on for a bit to knock out some more tasks. Nothing too exciting, really. I did find Ice Barrage makes short work of Living Rock Creatures. That was kinda fun. However, I did encounter a couple milestones.

33M CONSTITUTION XP

33mhp.th.jpg

95 MAGIC!

95magic.jpg