Behind the Scenes: June 2013

helring

I slipped off into sarcasm at the end there, and looked over stuff that wasn't even worth commenting on (like loyalty points etc), but my general point is, READ THE DAMN BTS BEFORE YOU INSTANTLY WHINE AND CRITICISE IT. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ALL THIS (to use how you describe it) "EXCLUSIVE" HIGH LEVEL STUFF, WHY DON'T YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT? This applies to everyone who complains about the favouritism of high level players.

Maybe its time to stand up cause you it looks like you have been siting on a stick.

Oh and by the way that long winded diatribe so far off base you'd need the space shuttle to connect your post to what he wrote or reality for that matter (level 95 slayer not high level...lol).

If you're gonna troll, do it right, watch the pros. 8-)

I don't even..

I referenced virtually every part of the BTS post to his complaint that it was another month of "high level content", in which I commented upon the updates, showing how the majority of them were not infact high level. What else did you think I was talking about..

Then, if you read my more recent posts, you'd see that I'm NOT saying 95 Slayer isn't high level. I'm saying the 81 Slayer requirement to access the dungeon is not.

As for the stick up my arse, clearly you know something that I don't. Should I wish to watch the pro's, I certainly wouldn't be watching you for advice. I would only do so should I want the opposite.

To be fair, most of what was mentioned in the BTS will definitely not be June content; they are merely mentioning a list of future updates.

From what has been confirmed to be June content, we are left with the new Ranged slayer dungeon and the new crystal key, which happens to be only obtainable through high-level means.

Oh, a high levelled update? KILL IT, BURN IT WITH FIRE!

I don't see why some people have problems with getting content which you may have to work for, it gives you a goal to aim for.

(Only quoting you because it is related)

Robbstarkded.png

I don't really think the definition of "high/mid/low-level content" is dependent upon the current high scores/playerbase. If it's dependent upon anything, it's dependent upon current game content and hours of commitment required. Otherwise, it's absolute; not relative.

77yLQy8.png

New trees: New foliage that's sure to make the cut!

It's only graphics, but still cool.

Why are we assuming new trees is only a graphical update and not a woodcutting update to tie into the construction update?

Because the highest level useful tree is at level 54 (arctic pine), and I don't think Jagex will add low-level trees.

People still use yew/magic logs for bonfiring, I don't see how these aren't useful.

Robbstarkded.png

I don't see why some people have problems with getting content which you may have to work for, it gives you a goal to aim for.

That might be because you don't have to work for it. Not everyone is so eager to spend 40-100 hours doing something they can't stand, when there's a good chance that the update will have peaked within the first three weeks.

Already got plenty of goals in RL to occupy my time. I'd rather not add RS to the list. :P Though I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had an abundance of free time and/or the only goals in my life pertained to RuneScape.

77yLQy8.png

That might be because you don't have to work for it. Not everyone is so eager to spend 40-100 hours doing something they can't stand, when there's a good chance that the update's 'peak' will be long gone by the time they get to play it.

I don't have to work for it anymore*.

Lets just release lvl 60 content which will be useless within a week, we don't have enough of those updates do we?

Lets grind just for that 99 cape and not for any other benefits the skill may bring.

Already got plenty of goals in RL to occupy my time. I'd rather not add RS to the list. :P Though I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had an abundance of free time and/or the only goals in my life pertained to RuneScape.

So someone can't play RS for an hour or two a day and have goals (in RS and RL)?

Robbstarkded.png

Lets just release lvl 60 content which will be useless within a week, we don't have enough of those updates do we?

Lets grind just for that 99 cape and not for any other benefits the skill may bring.

I guess addressing the point is too much to ask? You only have to look at the number of active players and the distribution of the high scores to see how "well" this current trend is working.

I guess addressing the point is too much to ask? You only have to look at the number of active players and the distribution of the high scores to see how "well" this current trend is working.

From what I saw, you believe that everyone should be able to benefit from an update while it is at it's peak?

Or was it that people shouldn't need to work for the benefits received from an update?

Too many low level updates will make the higher levels bored, there seriously needs to be some high level updates. The minute their is one, the update is instantly hell-spawn to the lower level players because they can't do it.

Tough luck, nothing should be handed to you on a silver platter.

Robbstarkded.png

So someone can't play RS for an hour or two a day and have goals (in RS and RL)?

Can't really have more than 2 goals in your life at a time. Otherwise you get very little accomplished due to lack of focus. Besides, 1-2 hours a day isn't really enough to keep up with the game and its community these days.

77yLQy8.png

Can't really have more than 2 goals in your life at a time. Otherwise you get very little accomplished due to lack of focus. Besides, 1-2 hours a day isn't really enough to keep up with the game and its community these days.

So if I wanted to improve my health, learn more of a language, study harder for certain subjects and eat more healthily then I couldn't do it?

I could ride a bike while listening to the language, when I get home I could eat and apple while studying. 4 goals achieved.

It's hard to have more than 2 goals which will occupy a certain space of time but you can have many goals to be achieved throughout each day.

Robbstarkded.png

So if I wanted to improve my health, learn more of a language, study harder for certain subjects and eat more healthily then I couldn't do it?

I could ride a bike while listening to the language, when I get home I could eat and apple while studying. 4 goals achieved.

It's hard to have more than 2 goals which will occupy a certain space of time but you can have many goals to be achieved throughout each day.

You could "do" all of those things, but you wouldn't get much done in any of those areas. Self-discipline and motivation are limited resources which get depleted pretty quickly. What you speak of sounds simple enough in theory, but in practice, it's basically impossible for most people. Additionally, without focusing on only 1-2 goals a time, you're probably going to end up very mediocre in the areas of your focus, as opposed to being exceptional in those areas.

Similarly there's a difference between doing things just to maintain your current standard of living, vs goals, which improve your standard of living. Going to school and studying for exams isn't a goal. Going to work every day to make money isn't a goal. Because if you drop out of school or lose your job, you're [bleep]ed unless you've got a means to support yourself already. But if you already had a full-time job which supports you well enough, then going to school and studying could be a goal.

77yLQy8.png

New trees: New foliage that's sure to make the cut!

It's only graphics, but still cool.

Why are we assuming new trees is only a graphical update and not a woodcutting update to tie into the construction update?

Because the highest level useful tree is at level 54 (arctic pine), and I don't think Jagex will add low-level trees.

If the highest useful tree is at 54 is that not MORE of a reason to assume 'new trees' means new tree types to you know fill out the gapping holes and predominantly useless higher levels?

Plus imo it'd be entirely out of place on the list if it was just graphics, everything else on there is some form of content.

As for the high-level debate: I've personally always thought of high-level being around 90+ after all 92 is the half way point of maxing so it's pretty generous to let it be even that low. Sure arguably as you level you can gain xp faster but the rate xp goes up id disproportionate to the xp gaps between levels and in my experience 92-99 is a far greater slog than 1-92.

Also @ above debate: utter horse poop. You can have lots of goals and get lots done to all of them quite easily. Determination and motivation are very subjective things sure some people may struggle and lose focus given too many goals but that is not true for everyone, don't over generalise. I personally have loads of goals at any one time - some long term, some short term, some medium term. Some that require me to timetable out effort too, others that come naturally. But I give them my all and get them all done. Also the idea that study can't be a goal if that's all you do is utter rubbish; even at school level you can have real goals to study harder in certain areas and in later education you only go there because of your goal.

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

You could "do" all of those things, but you wouldn't get much done in any of those areas. Self-discipline and motivation are limited resources which get depleted pretty quickly. What you speak of sounds simple enough in theory, but in practice, it's basically impossible for most people. Additionally, without focusing on only 1-2 goals a time, you're probably going to end up very mediocre in the areas of your focus, as opposed to being exceptional in those areas.

Similarly there's a difference between doing things just to maintain your current standard of living, vs goals, which improve your standard of living. Going to school and studying for exams isn't a goal. Going to work every day to make money isn't a goal. Because if you drop out of school or lose your job, you're [bleep]ed unless you've got a means to support yourself already. But if you already had a full-time job which supports you well enough, then going to school and studying could be a goal.

I don't know how it got this off topic but if you aren't willing to put in the time/effort then you shouldn't get the benefits.

This was my argument.

Robbstarkded.png

^ Yes!

Except that's not at all what I was saying. I'm just trying to say that most of the arguments that elitists such as yourself like to throw around are complete bullshit, and that's being generous.

Too many low level updates will make the higher levels bored, there seriously needs to be some high level updates.

Jagex seems to have taken note. They've done such a good job that all of the low- and mid-level players have abandoned ship, because there's no lasting, meaningful content for anyone below level 80 base. But as long as high levels are happy, that's okay, right? :thumbup:

I don't know how it got this off topic but if you aren't willing to put in the time/effort then you shouldn't get the benefits.

In theory, great idea. In practice, you're telling new players that they should only be able to have fun after putting in enough time into broken and outdated content to finish the Wheel of Time series on audiobooks at least ten times, when you've had the advantage of close to a decade where they did create meaningful mid-level content and when high level content was still viable. You couldn't be any more out of touch if you tried. The ways that you and I used to get this far simply don't work anymore, especially nowadays when decent MMORPGs are a dime a dozen.

• Like 2

^ Yes!

Except that's not at all what I was saying. I'm just trying to say that most of the arguments that elitists such as yourself like to throw around are complete bullshit, and that's being generous.

Too many low level updates will make the higher levels bored, there seriously needs to be some high level updates.

Jagex seems to have taken note. They've done such a good job that all of the low- and mid-level players have abandoned ship, because there's no lasting, meaningful content for anyone below level 80 base. But as long as high levels are happy, that's okay, right? :thumbup:

In theory, great idea. In practice, you're telling new players that they should only be able to have fun after putting in enough time into broken and outdated content to finish the Wheel of Time series on audiobooks at least ten times, when you've had the advantage of close to a decade where they did create meaningful mid-level content and when high level content was still viable. You couldn't be any more out of touch if you tried. The ways that you and I used to get this far simply don't work anymore, especially nowadays when decent MMORPGs are a dime a dozen.

Oh I am an elitist and also a veteran player now? I started in late 2008, not close to a decade.

Here in caps, so you don't miss the point.

I AM SAYING THAT NEW PLAYERS WILL BE ABLE TO WORK UP TO A HIGH LEVEL WHILE STILL HAVING CONTENT, WHEN THEY REACH A HIGH LEVEL, THEY WILL STILL HAVE CONTENT TO USE.

Robbstarkded.png

Do you usually only play 1-2 hours a day? Or is it more like 5-6?

10/10 predicted this would be said at some point.

Not going to lie, I use to play a lot due to problems at home. RS was a way to get away from things, I could sit there and play RS and talk to people and forget about everything.

So now it is 5 years later, I play a few hours a week, sit here and revise while the firemaking is done. I talk to people on skype when we go to boss and I have fun while doing so.

Because I am a highish level now does not mean that everyone follows your stuck up view that we all play for many hours each day, I have a social life, I work hard at school and I go home and relax, sometimes on RS, sometimes doing other things.

Robbstarkded.png

People either stick with the game and become high levelled quickly due to the extraordinarily inflated xp rates compared to even 2 years ago, let alone further back, or quit because of the rampant botting which makes much low levelled content less enjoyable and less rewarding. There is plenty of low and medium levelled content. Basically every quest is aimed at low/medium levelled players, along with all but a couple of tasks.

Bear in mind also that all skills contain a high density of new content at the low and medium levels, with the content becoming much sparser at high levels.

Overall I'm looking forward to the ranged slayer dungeon, although having it should have been on task only.

• Like 3

Asmodean <3

I'm not sure how many hours you play per day impacts the difficulty. If anything it makes it easier, because more of your time is spent on less repetitive, faster dailies.

• Like 2

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I'm not sure how many hours you play per day impacts the difficulty. If anything it makes it easier, because more of your time is spent on less repetitive, faster dailies.

This.

The first 30 minutes I play each day are worth 3.5 hours of mining and half an hour of dg. Add in daily sof which tends to give 10-30 minutes of agility xp a day in a few ticks, and things like the daily abby demon challenge if you have the mask of the abyss which lets you guarantee a 250K slay/hr task once a day (usually around 70-80k slay a day, which is quite a nice chunk), and someone who plays for an hour or less a day can quite easily gain 4-5 hours of xp.

The more time you spend in game after that first hour or so, the value of that time decreases until you're left with traditional training.

Asmodean <3