advice on next weapon/armor purchase

necrophyte

first of all, althoigh already some 7-8(?) years playing rs, i am only playing it regularily since the introduction of daily tasks, and this also rarely more than 20-60mins daily, so my levels are far below this forums average. i also only dont play pvp at all (except during the current world event).

my relevant levels are:

att 80

def 76

str 81

con 81

ran 71

mag 72

pra 75

sla 76 

shall i focus on improving anything specific here?

my primary focus is melee..

currently my main weapon is an abyssal whip - working on slayer lvl 80 for the vine whip.

armorwise i am using the full zamorak warpriest (lvl 75, hybrid) set, and a bandos warshield.

now just out of curiosity i have bought a zamorak godsword and was quite impressed with its performance against mature grotworms and some (arma vs bandos world event) pvp, compared to the whip which is slashing type, too.

so would you recommend using the whip (later vine whip) or a godsword (or another weapon) as my main weapon? not having the bandos warshield equipped reduces my max health quite a lot, and for dragons i need the dragonfire shield, hence this is the main downside of the godsword. 

and my second question is about the armor - from what ive read/heard so far, this <god> warpriest hybrid armor isnt that good as it sounds - lvl 75 hybrid.

would you recommend getting bandos armor? since my budget is not that high (about 15m atm), i could only afford the chestplate+tassets to still have some acceptable amount of money left..

or another armor? i also have some barrows items, which i do not use though, as being degradeable is something i just dont want to cope with (time wise, since i do not play that much that i could get the money repairing requires). so id prefer some non-degradeable armor.

thanks!

Rule 1 of combat:

Use both hands

This means either use a 2h weapon (such as godswords) or dual wield (such as an abyssal whip and an enhanced excalibur)

In general, this is what you should be using

Dual drygores (level 90) > dual chaotic claws (level 80) > godsword/Saradomin sword/Zamorakian spear  (level 75) > Verac's flail/other barrows weapons (level 70)

You want to use power armor to increase your DPS (damage per second). For melee this is Torva > Bandos > Rockshell. Don't bother with hybrid.

Don't worry about weaknesses. They don't really matter.

ok thanks, ive already been dual-wielding, but since im far away from having the hard/elite tasks completed, i do not have the enhanced excalibur; did it with the whip & dragon mace to combine slash & crush damage. though i prefered the bandos warshield more since i lasted noticeably longer before having to restock on food when doing slayer tasks.

so whats the point with hybrid?

looking at the stats, zamorak warpriest looks really good - as an example:

warpriest of zamorak helm

armor 226

life bonus 720

type hybrid

level 75

helm of neitiznot

armor 196

life bonus 660

prayer bonus 3

type melee

level 55

so except for the prayer bonus, the warpriest helm looks superior in every aspect, by far.

and still i should rather get full melee power armor (eg. bandos, as soon as i can afford all parts)?

regarding weaknesses - dont know exactly how it affects damage dealt to me, but the weaknesses matter very much when fighting creatures using approx. same lavel weapons but one of the type it is weak against, and another which it isnt.

thanks!

While weaknesses don't tend to matter for higher level players, they'll make quite a difference for you. Try to use at least the right style (melee/ranged/mage) whenever possible, worrying about the specifics (stab/slash/crush etc) probably isn't worth it.

Always use prayers and potions of course too

• Like 1

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Warpriest is better than nezzy helm because the nezzy helm is 20 level below the warpriest level. If you compare the warpriest to dragon full helm, you'll find they have the same stats, so Bandos and the likes will be better.

All hybrid gear have -15 defense rating, so while you need 75 defense to wear it, you only get protection up to the stats of 60 gear. The plus side is it hybrid and can be used for all combat classes.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

ok, well this is new that hybrid gear has -15 defense rating.

regarding helm of neitiznot - i just compared it since it is widely used, and ive been using it before warpriest.

well ok then ill try to get the bucks for full bandos set..

thanks!

Neitiznot used to be widely used, but it isn't anymore. Only look at the level of equipment and the classification of power, tank and hybrid.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I'd suggest getting a Saradomin godsword if you can afford it and then killing blue or frost dragons using anti-fire flasks. Also bandos would prove to be more effective than the zamorak war priest armor as it gives a damage boost, ultimately speeding up your kills. The Neitiznot helm isn't as good as it used to be so I would avoid using that helm at all costs.

Sattern.

I'd suggest getting a Saradomin godsword if you can afford it and then killing blue or frost dragons using anti-fire flasks. Also bandos would prove to be more effective than the zamorak war priest armor as it gives a damage boost, ultimately speeding up your kills. The Neitiznot helm isn't as good as it used to be so I would avoid using that helm at all costs.

Sattern.

Don't get a saradomin godsword. 38 mil could get you a saradomin sword (same dps) a set of full bandos armor and still have ~17.5 mil leftover to put into prayer or herblore to help you get to turmoil/extremes or overloads. Personally I would put it into herblore to get closer to super antifires so you don't need a shield anymore for dragon tasks (although you could always just prot mage and regular antifire). 

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

Don't make super anti fires unless you plan to kill the qbd

Like they're seriously inefficient to make and they provide no marginal benefit

Dragonfire has a max hit of like 2k with no protection and they only use it every 5 or 6 attacks. Regular anti fires and protect from magic and a couple pieces of food is more than enough to get you through an inventory.

saradomin godsword would be amazing, but 38m is like exactly double the money i own at present :/

sold zamorak and got bandos now, since the 5s bind effect turned out not to be that useful as i thought, so the less expensive one seemed wiser, and earned the ca. 1.6m back through some buying low/selling high and selling of slayer loot (luckily i had grotworms as a task) now since yesterday.

i think ill wait till i can afford the whole bandos set and still have a few millions left, and then do some slaying/killing of higher enemies for money earning.

i was actually quite satisfied with my performance vs blue/red/black dragons using dragonfire shield & abyssal whip, though id rather level up my ranged lvl for them, but i dont like all the effort (whether timewise or financial) needed to acquire arrows/bolts, hence im using ranged very rarely. i like magic for combat much more, but need to level up a bit more, compared to my melee stats; same regarding equipment.

but when i get high enough combat wise, i will definitely use potions instead of the dragonfire shield. right now it wouldnt matter that much since i still need at least 5+ hits per blue dragon, in best case, ie. each does full damage. 

maybe i should sell some of my stored loot to buy bandos armor.. got hundreds of dragon bones, raw rocktails (that i cannot cook yet), 2k of magic logs.. ive been collecting them long, and keep them, dont know why exactly :D yes, all the bones for ectofunctus prayer xp, but i think their monetary value is higher than their prayer xp, especially since ectofunctus prayer xp isnt boosted/influenced by bonus xp, festive auras, urns etc.