What Regular People Think of RuneScape (RS3 vs OSRS)

Piu

subjects aged 19 to 24? pretty sure they have tried runescape earlier than not-oldschool 2007 lol

Not everyone has played RuneScape.

Yeah its a pretty naive statement to try and even imply everyone of a certain age has played Runescape.

Between High school, college and university I have met in total 1 person who has played runescape (aside from my brother and a few friends who dipped in for like a week but didn't stay based on me playing it)

I mean it was only like a year or 2 back they were celebrating 200 million accounts being created - when you take into account bots and normal players with multiple accounts your looking at maybe 100m actual people who have ever made an account(s) (and that is probably being quite generous given how prolific bots were and how many accounts a single user could've had) that's 1/10th of a billion aka less than 1/70th of the world population. Heck 100m is only 1/3 or the entire US population, let alone the rest of the world. Heck statistically speaking if you took one of my larger uni lectures (~500 students) you'd only expect 7 people in the entire room to have made an account. Not even considering actually playing the game for any sustained time, just making an account.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Just one thought I would put on this thread, in direct response to the last few minutes of the video...

It would be a bad idea to remove the Cooking Tutor from the old tutorial system.  It is useful to know how to 'craft' some foods, which is specifically what that tutor showed how to do.  Removing that tutor would cause the loss of people learning how to easily do that part of cooking, and leaving it somewhat unknown as to how to combine things to make foods.  Cooking has more to it than just fishing a lobster and frying it on a log-based fire, right? ;)

Other than that, it was interesting to see how those test subjects reacted to both games. :shades:

~D. V. "Good video... Whoa, don't kill that tutor!" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

The points in favor of 07scape also apply to RSC, but noone is playing that... Really, you need to move on. Runescape wasn't super popular in 07 because of the gameplay and graphics. 

lolwut?

The peak period of RS was 2004-7, right? That's as popular as it ever got.

• Like 1

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

The points in favor of 07scape also apply to RSC, but noone is playing that... Really, you need to move on. Runescape wasn't super popular in 07 because of the gameplay and graphics. 

lolwut?

...It was super popular in 07 because it was just about the only free/cheap MMO out there. The graphics in particular were considered a joke even within the community, those outside of it were outright hostile toward them. Please remove the rose-tinted lenses.

• Like 1

lolwut?

...It was super popular in 07 because it was just about the only free/cheap MMO out there. The graphics in particular were considered a joke even within the community, those outside of it were outright hostile toward them. Please remove the rose-tinted lenses.

The only ones who thought the graphics mattered were MMO elitists. It's true the graphics were primitive, but that being a deterrent to game-play is simply a myth. In fact, it helped define the game, and made it attractive to others like myself. Graphics are literally a superficial way of judging quality.

By any measure, RuneScape had a huge player base. WoW's playerbase for comparison was about 8 million total at that time (March 2007). That's composed entirely of subscriptions. RuneScape's playerbase was 18 million including members, according to some estimates. That's 15 million active free players, 3 million subscriptions. But 9 million total seems to be the agreed upon estimate for 2007. That's larger than WoW, and the largest MMO at the time. Period.

RU_Insane.png

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support

And that's related to what I was saying... How? I'm arguing that being a largely free game had more to do with its success than its graphics (I assume xpx is doing the same).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Qeltar (who you're citing, however indirectly) frequently argue in 2007-2009 that the Gowers owed a big part of their success to being in the right place at the right time? You know, when he wasn't dispelling so many other myths about the game's "glory days"?

I misread xpx's comment. I thought he said RS wasn't super popular at all.

Being a free browser MMO certainly helped fuel its success. I simply see the graphics as a plus. But, I think there are other reasons why its success endured, and not simply why it found success to start. Being the most updated MMO probably helped. And of course, many games, companies, etc. can owe their success to being in the right place at the right time. It's a meaningless statement.

You know, when he wasn't dispelling so many other myths about the game's "glory days"?

What myths were those? I'd love to read a bit about them, if possible.

RU_Insane.png

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support

You know, when he wasn't dispelling so many other myths about the game's "glory days"?

What myths were those? I'd love to read a bit about them, if possible.

He dispelled the myth that berserker and warrior rings improve dps

• Like 1

TBH They missed the facebook bandwagon. If it's actually possible to make RS run from a facebook account (I am not tech savvy, so excuse me if it's impossible =/).

While a lot of people hate the miniclip era it did bring a lot of fresh/new players (myself included).

somehow, I enjoyed the concept that new players sprung fully formed from a closet with no memories more than the new intro, because it could have been made into some sort of insanely contrived backstory later

8f14270694.jpg

TBH They missed the facebook bandwagon. If it's actually possible to make RS run from a facebook account (I am not tech savvy, so excuse me if it's impossible =/).

While a lot of people hate the miniclip era it did bring a lot of fresh/new players (myself included).

Because that 'login in with facebook' button does not exist at all...other than the last like 3-4 years it's been right there as a feature.

Besides I don't think Facebook can do them much good for them now, their target audience are the age range that are kinda anti-facebook now.

Facebook sort of jumped the shark in terms of the youth market when everyones parents/grandparents etc. got on board with it in the past few years because it lost that anonymity the kids like when their parents can see everything they are posting and saying and therefore have to 'behave' properly.

The social media markets that are 'hot' right now for youth is youtube, podcasts, instagram, vine, twitter, twitch and reddit mostly and Runescape/Jagex are already exploiting 5 of those and the other two are kinda hard to work for business ends.

NB: When I say youth I am specifically referring to the low-mid teens that make up runescapes primary target market rather than a full spectrum of teens-young adults-mid-twenties ssssh lets pretend I'm only 19 still.

• Like 4

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue