Master Skillcapes & Combat Improvements

Kimberly

Forcing?

Honestly some of you guys talk so much shit about some stuff. If I decide that I want a firemaking cape, and I buy the logs for it, then at what point in that process did someone force me? I set myself a goal and decided to work towards it. And no, just because Jagex put the goal there does not mean I was subliminally manipulated into getting it. There's no conspiracy. Maybe I just wanted the bloody cape.

/rant

• Like 2

Asmodean <3

Good for you. The rest of us want Firemaking to do something, but we're going to have to sit through another 10 achievement cape updates and 20 endgame bosses before they do so much as add a new log. All while being told (by both Jagex and players) that nothing we manage to accomplish in the meantime is worth anything unless we get a completionist cape, of course.

• Like 6

Good for you. The rest of us want Firemaking to do something, but we're going to have to sit through another 10 achievement cape updates and 20 endgame bosses before they do so much as add a new log. All while being told (by both Jagex and players) that nothing we manage to accomplish in the meantime is worth anything unless we get a completionist cape, of course.

Firemaking has received more updates than construction, that's the one skill that really needs attention.

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

Firemaking has received more updates than construction, that's the one skill that really needs attention.

Besides the fact that you're completely missing the point, construction has a major overhaul already in the works, and firemaking, as far as we know, has nothing planned at all.

Besides the fact that you're completely missing the point, construction has a major overhaul already in the works, and firemaking, as far as we know, has nothing planned at all.
I still feel that fm should be a facet to another skill. They should name it survival. The skill shouldnt have a traditional training method, but could be trained through most other actions. And through leveling it you gain subtle perks to the others.

Firemaking is like saying i have 99 cooking, but my proficiency is only that in making a grilled cheese sandwich.

• Like 3

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I am a person who cares about experience, and would set the goal for a 120 cape.

That doesn't mean I don't want them to make meaningful content though...you act as if they are opposites of each. So I shouldn't train any of the skills if I think they should be updated? Then I would be sitting around playing like a quarter of the skills in the game.

Unff. That Farming cape. <3

Sadly it'll be years before I don one of those. still 5.4m exp off 99.

Lame patch notes as has become the norm in recent weeks.

As for the Master Skillcapes, what could possibly go wrong? It's not like the last time skill capes and comp capes were released that the gaming culture was completely ruined, is it? Oh wait...

I don't really understand why you say this.

I never played before Skillcapes were released, so i'm not asking just to be difficult, but i'm asking because i genuinely don't understand. 

The way i see it, it makes for a more goal oriented player. I don't think you can blame an item for a rotten community.

He keeps thinking the 120 capes will skyrocket resource prices like the 99 capes did when they first released, ignoring the fact that barely anyone is going to go on a manhunt to get the 120 capes because unlike Dungeoneering, there's no incentive past 99 > 120. 

I don't particularly care about resource prices. They will be perpetually kept high because of the experience craze, which I suppose the capes are part of, but only really an acceleration of that trend, not something new.

And as for the bit about 'blaming the rotten community' in that post you quoted, no. That's a clichéd cop-out. More often than not, it is people's conditions and environment that determines their behavior by incentivizing them to do particular things. I would much rather blame crappy incentives rather than the usual 'it's just people, or human nature' or whatever.

Forcing?

Honestly some of you guys talk so much shit about some stuff. If I decide that I want a firemaking cape, and I buy the logs for it, then at what point in that process did someone force me? I set myself a goal and decided to work towards it. And no, just because Jagex put the goal there does not mean I was subliminally manipulated into getting it. There's no conspiracy. Maybe I just wanted the bloody cape.

/rant

It has absolutely nothing to do with a conspiracy, so claiming it is is a rather desperate attempt to avoid substantive argument. It's about incentive structures, nothing else - that's something that's quite easy to understand. Also, it's about incentives at a general level, not an individual level. You like skilling or pursuing mounds of experience? Good for you. There are other people that play this game, aside from you, and many of them are pressured in a soft way (that's incentives) by this sort of stuff to do stuff that is otherwise pointless and they wouldn't have done otherwise. Jagex, as Runescape's authority, is who determines goals, achievements, prestige, respectability, and so on - thus all players to an extent look to them for validation. So criticizing them for master capes is fair game, as it's just another incentive that is going to push the game in a certain way - a direction many of us happen to dislike.

Your ranting doesn't address any of this, not really constructive and it avoids any of the real concerns various posters have brought up.

The construction overhaul was, if I am not mistaken (which I might be), planned for last year. After missing that deadline, Jagex admitted this year that they haven't really started on the construction overhaul, and don't intend to release it anytime soon.

I am a person who cares about experience, and would set the goal for a 120 cape.

That doesn't mean I don't want them to make meaningful content though...you act as if they are opposites of each. So I shouldn't train any of the skills if I think they should be updated? Then I would be sitting around playing like a quarter of the skills in the game.

It's not really about what you choose to do as an individual. There will always be all sorts of individuals who pursue all sorts of different things. That is not necessarily the problem. The real important thing is overarching incentives set by Jagex because they have an institutional force behind them and will encourage or discourage legions of players in doing or refraining from doing stuff. So if you and Fall Star and whoever else want to get 120 in whatever skill - fine, I personally don't care, go at it. Jagex setting 120s as an official standard for gameplay is a completely different and something far more important. It superimposes onto everyone the obsessions of a small and peculiar minority - that I am not fine with and opposed to.

This should all be really super easy to understand. Yet it seems everytime we broach this subject, some incensed person from experience craze community comes along and takes it personally - it's not about that.