Things in RuneScape that make no sense.

Blaze The Movie Fan

How come you don't need a hammer or anything like that when eating lobsters?

In real life, the lobster shells are too defensive to chew.

So if they can be eaten in one bite, and doesn't require anything, how come watermelons need to be sliced?

You can actually eat watermelons directly without using a knife in real life.

toolbelt ;)

Well, that still counts as using a knife since you are using one from the toolbelt.

So if they can be eaten in one bite, and doesn't require anything, how come watermelons need to be sliced?

toolbelt ;)

Well, that still counts as using a knife since you are using one from the toolbelt.

i mean that we could secretly be using the hammer from out toolbelt, or when cooked it is prepared to eat though not visible from the inventory image

baileydafrog.png

We could start a TV show: the deep dark culinary secrets of RuneScape. Learn how to crunch lobsters in one bite and swallow giant sharks whole!

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

toolbelt ;)

i mean that we could secretly be using the hammer from out toolbelt, or when cooked it is prepared to eat though not visible from the inventory image

we didn't have a toolbelt way back, but we did have lobsters :P

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

toolbelt ;)

it's only really the claws you actually need tools for, the main meat you can get by hand with twisting so meh, either  way pain in the ass!

baileydafrog.png

toolbelt ;)

it's only really the claws you actually need tools for, the main meat you can get by hand with twisting so meh, either  way pain in the ass!

But my point still stands though. Watermelons take a lot less effort to eat than lobsters do.

You don't need a knife you can just use your hands to open the watermelon.

But my point still stands though. Watermelons take a lot less effort to eat than lobsters do.

If I knew how to do this in real life with a full size watermelon I would be eternally grateful...well not really, but I could impress a few people.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

If I knew how to do this in real life with a full size watermelon I would be eternally grateful...well not really, but I could impress a few people.

Darn I'm such a moron.

Why do I talk out of my ass so much? I don't do it intentionally, and I don't even know why I do it.

There is one minor annoyance I need to point out.

I'm not making a whole thread about this in the rants forum since this annoyance is incredibly minor.

It's the text "You eat cabbage, ew."

I find this incredibly insulting since I find cabbages in real life to be incredibly delicious, and not disgusting in the slightest. What the heck? Do the game developers have a problem with cabbages or something?

• Like 2

Most people around the age of the former "targeted audience" especially back in the day were probably teens, and that age demographic is not particularly fond of cabbages, or vegetables in general, for that matter. It's just supposed to be a bit of humor, nothing to be offended about :).

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

There was a jmod that was all about cabbages, it kind of became a big joke, but I am not to sure about what exactly ad I wasn't playing at that point.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something I recently discovered.

Apparently I need to use 10 prayer points to read the book of Zamorak.

What the heck? It's a damn book, why does it take prayer points to read it.

Well it's not just book, it's the (un)holy book of Zamorak :P. An interesting fact nonetheless though, nice find!

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that the buildings we keep our things in RuneScape are called "banks".

Do the people who made the game even know what a bank is?

A bank is where you keep your money, that's it.

I think where we keep our items can more be referred to as a storage unit than a bank.

Throw it on the floor.

I think where we keep our items can more be referred to as a storage unit than a bank.

Not true the public consumer side of banks do primarily deal with money it is true, but most 'posh' banks also after safety deposit boxs where you can keep your valuables or whatever the hell you want.

Not to mention that banks profit and pay interest by using the money to trade in stocks, shares and sometimes even goods.

And going back historically to when our economies were more bartering of goods than predefine currency money what would evolve to become 'banks' would be holding all sorts of random goods for the wealthy.

Banks being used to store items is a perfectly legit real world thing.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Not true the public consumer side of banks do primarily deal with money it is true, but most 'posh' banks also after safety deposit boxs where you can keep your valuables or whatever the hell you want.

Not to mention that banks profit and pay interest by using the money to trade in stocks, shares and sometimes even goods.

And going back historically to when our economies were more bartering of goods than predefine currency money what would evolve to become 'banks' would be holding all sorts of random goods for the wealthy.

Banks being used to store items is a perfectly legit real world thing.

Alright, let's think about this.

Where do most of us keep our DVDs, Blu-Rays, books, video games, food, and more? In our house of course. Can you think of anyone, anyone at all that keeps any of these in the bank?

No one does. And that's a fact.

We only keep our money and that's it.

If you can name me one instance where someone keeps a blu-ray, book, or something like that in the bank, I might take your word for it.

I never said we keep that kind of stuff in our banks all that often.

However that does not alter the fact that banks do offer safety deposit boxes where you CAN keep anything stuff you like - it is just a service people most commonly use for valuables like jewellery, antiques, sentimental items etc.

IT's also not a fact that no-one keeps that stuff in safety deposit boxes - there'll be plenty of rare, valuable or sentimentally valued books lurking in safety deposit boxes and I'm sure among the billions of people in this world there are at least one or two overly rich people who'd stick a DVD, Blu-ray or video game in a safety deposit box for some odd reason. Heck with video games it may not even be that odd a reason since some of  the 20th Century gaming consoles and their games are becoming increasingly rare and increasingly valuable.

Given the historical nature of the Runescape world vs real world culture it makes perfect sense - they don't have electronic money, or debit cards they deal entirely in things that physically exist. Slap on the fact the society of Gielinor would be considered more of a bartering goods for goods society than a cash for everything society and banks would be opening to storing a variety of valuable trade goods as forms of currency outside of just gold. Then wedge in the safety deposit box notion and they'd gladly being storing our valuables for us too.

The thing is with a game like Runescape just because it doesn't conform perfectly to what we in the modern world do and how our institutions work does not mean it doesn't make sense.

The use of the word Bank refers to services and formats more commonly used in the past before we moved away from bartering and into electronic currency etc. but there are still instances of that service remaining in safety deposit boxes.

I mean if your gonna claim banks make no sense because of modern standards without any consideration of what came before and the other services they provide then you could claim almost nothing in-game makes sense as it doesn't fit modern standards,

People walking around armed to the teeth with swords etc - People don;t do that now, doesn't make sense.

People being freely allowed and encouraged to slaughter rare and sentient animals - doesn't male sense, animal rights groups would stop it.

People relying on wood fires and stoves for cooking - nope no sense there electric and gas cookers everywhere these days.

The list could go on. The fact is you'll never find much sense comparing Runescape purely to modern society alone, you have to consider historic societies and what things meant/were in their cultures.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I never said we keep that kind of stuff in our banks all that often.

However that does not alter the fact that banks do offer safety deposit boxes where you CAN keep anything stuff you like - it is just a service people most commonly use for valuables like jewellery, antiques, sentimental items etc.

IT's also not a fact that no-one keeps that stuff in safety deposit boxes - there'll be plenty of rare, valuable or sentimentally valued books lurking in safety deposit boxes and I'm sure among the billions of people in this world there are at least one or two overly rich people who'd stick a DVD, Blu-ray or video game in a safety deposit box for some odd reason. Heck with video games it may not even be that odd a reason since some of  the 20th Century gaming consoles and their games are becoming increasingly rare and increasingly valuable.

Given the historical nature of the Runescape world vs real world culture it makes perfect sense - they don't have electronic money, or debit cards they deal entirely in things that physically exist. Slap on the fact the society of Gielinor would be considered more of a bartering goods for goods society than a cash for everything society and banks would be opening to storing a variety of valuable trade goods as forms of currency outside of just gold. Then wedge in the safety deposit box notion and they'd gladly being storing our valuables for us too.

The thing is with a game like Runescape just because it doesn't conform perfectly to what we in the modern world do and how our institutions work does not mean it doesn't make sense.

The use of the word Bank refers to services and formats more commonly used in the past before we moved away from bartering and into electronic currency etc. but there are still instances of that service remaining in safety deposit boxes.

I mean if your gonna claim banks make no sense because of modern standards without any consideration of what came before and the other services they provide then you could claim almost nothing in-game makes sense as it doesn't fit modern standards,

People walking around armed to the teeth with swords etc - People don;t do that now, doesn't make sense.

People being freely allowed and encouraged to slaughter rare and sentient animals - doesn't male sense, animal rights groups would stop it.

People relying on wood fires and stoves for cooking - nope no sense there electric and gas cookers everywhere these days.

The list could go on. The fact is you'll never find much sense comparing Runescape purely to modern society alone, you have to consider historic societies and what things meant/were in their cultures.

Alright, I will admit defeat. You got me. I was wrong.