Are you sure third-age armor is from hard clues?

Blaze The Movie Fan

I have been doing hard clue scrolls for over a decade, and I have never gotten a third age armor, not once.

Which leads me to believe there is an error of information both on Tip.it and the RuneScape wiki.

(EDIT: Alright, over a decade is an exaggeration since I became a member in 2006, but my main point still stands.)

Edited by Arceus

Yes, it's a reward from completing hard or elite treasure trails. I'm sure someone on Tip.It would be able to verify firsthand (maybe Salleh?). It's just extremely rare. That's why some pieces are worth a good fraction of a billion, even though they're little more than cosmetic as a practical matter.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

You should try to look into what RNG means.

Also:

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Third-age_melee_set

"More recently, however, Mod John C confirmed that the chance of receiving a specific piece of third-age armour from a Treasure Trail is 1 in 42,000, so the chance of receiving any piece of third-age melee armour from a Treasure Trail is 1 in 10,500."

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

So does that mean the chance of getting one of them (Ranged, Melee, or Magic) would then be ~1 in 3,500?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

So does that mean the chance of getting one of them (Ranged, Melee, or Magic) would then be ~1 in 3,500?

I would guess so yes :)

Edit: it seems we have a prayer set to now, that one has 5 items. So that would be around ~1/2500

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I would guess so yes  :)

Edit: it seems we have a prayer set to now, that one has 5 items. So that would be around ~1/2500

Prayer set is from elites though, so no, 3,500 is correct assuming the other numbers are.

On topic: basically as above, don't expect to get 3a at all tbh, it's that rare - and clues do take a while. And don't claim rare items can't be obtained from a certain method just because you haven't gotten any...

edit: words

• Like 2

ruins.png De_Elite_One.png

Inefficiency = fun. That's objective and can't be debated. Ever.

Blog to 200m in all skills.

Max cape achieved November 5th, 2011.

Completionist cape achieved December 29th, 2011.

Final Boss title achieved December 28th, 2014.

Trimmed completionist cape achieved November 7th, 2015.

Is it just me or is Arceus and the chain of number quotes on odds of a specific set horribly horribly wrong.

If the odds of getting any piece at all cumulative of all on offer is 1 in 10,500 the odds of getting a piece from a specific subset of that would be lesser odds (Eg 1 in >10,500) not better odds (eg 1 in <10,500).

It's like saying you've got a bag of 12 balls - 3 red, 3 blue, 3 green, 3 black.

The cumulative odds of drawing a non-black ball is 9/12 or 3/4

The odds of drawing a specific colour, non-black ball is only 3/12

If the odds of getting a piece from 1 specific set was 1 in 3,500 the odds of getting a piece from any of 3 sets would be 3 in 3,500 aka 1 in ~1166

If the odds of getting any piece is 1 in 10,500 the odds of a piece from a specific set would be more in the ball park of 0.3 in 10,500 or 1 in 32,000

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

"More recently, however, Mod John C confirmed that the chance of receiving a specific piece of third-age armour from a Treasure Trail is 1 in 42,000, so the chance of receiving any piece of third-age melee armour from a Treasure Trail is 1 in 10,500."

The chance of receiving Third-Age armour at all (on OSRS at least) is simply 12 in 42,000, or 1 in 3500, which is probably what Arceus meant.
  • Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Yes, it's a reward from completing hard or elite treasure trails. I'm sure someone on Tip.It would be able to verify firsthand (maybe Salleh?). It's just extremely rare. That's why some pieces are worth a good fraction of a billion, even though they're little more than cosmetic as a practical matter.

I know other people have confirmed their gains of 3a, but for further proof:

thirdageplate_zps4c44354f.png

I will say it is still amazingly rare. I have a clue scroll item loot tab and I haven't gotten another piece of it just yet. Hoping for a piece of 3a from a clue, however, is like hoping you'll get a dchain from dust devils or a Zaryte bow from Nihil, so very rare that few will ever get it.

• Like 1

DdzSE8e.png

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Blog

Is it just me or is Arceus and the chain of number quotes on odds of a specific set horribly horribly wrong.

If the odds of getting any piece at all cumulative of all on offer is 1 in 10,500 the odds of getting a piece from a specific subset of that would be lesser odds (Eg 1 in >10,500) not better odds (eg 1 in <10,500).

It's like saying you've got a bag of 12 balls - 3 red, 3 blue, 3 green, 3 black.

The cumulative odds of drawing a non-black ball is 9/12 or 3/4

The odds of drawing a specific colour, non-black ball is only 3/12

If the odds of getting a piece from 1 specific set was 1 in 3,500 the odds of getting a piece from any of 3 sets would be 3 in 3,500 aka 1 in ~1166

If the odds of getting any piece is 1 in 10,500 the odds of a piece from a specific set would be more in the ball park of 0.3 in 10,500 or 1 in 32,000

Sy, you are of course correct, but what I intended to say was that the chance of getting one item from the total pool (Ranged, Melee, or Magic, that is one item out of those twelve) is 1/3,500.

We know Mod John C said the chance of getting one of the melee pieces is 1/10,500.

So I assume the probability of one of the ranged or magic pieces is the same.

Then (approximately at least) the probability of getting an item from one of the three groups is 3/10,500 = 1/3,500, unless I'm making an arithmetic mistake.

Just wanted to clear that up.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

I will say it is still amazingly rare. I have a clue scroll item loot tab and I haven't gotten another piece of it just yet. Hoping for a piece of 3a from a clue, however, is like hoping you'll get a dchain from dust devils or a Zaryte bow from Nihil, so very rare that few will ever get it.

Isn't Zaryte bow from Nihils amazingly rare, like literally 1/1,000,000 though?

Thanks for answering my question, guys.

I wasn't denying the items exist, I just thought that how they are obtained might have been an error in information, well you proved me wrong.

Also I have gotten god armor (like Saradomin full helm and Zamorak platebody) on many occasions.

Thanks for answering my question, guys.

I wasn't denying the items exist, I just thought that how they are obtained might have been an error in information, well you proved me wrong.

Also I have gotten god armor (like Saradomin full helm and Zamorak platebody) on many occasions.

Yes, those are of course much more common :).

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Isn't Zaryte bow from Nihils amazingly rare, like literally 1/1,000,000 though?

Yeah, something like that. Maybe not the best drop to make my point but oh well :D

DdzSE8e.png

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Blog