Rod Cousens Joins Jagex As New CEO

Sylpheed

Well, in theory it should work for the DLC model too, ie leave out side missions and sell them as DLC. As long as you aren't charging the full $60 for the game and extra for day 1 DLC like EA did with Mass Effect 3...

• Like 1

Inb4 runescape starts seeing large seemingly stand-alone content being buyable. They already have capabilities with instancing. I wouldn't be surprised seeing medium to large content being developed for a DLC sales point. This type of stuff would most likely be single player pieces at first.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

http://www.destructoid.com/codemasters-ceo-s-drm-solution-sell-unfinished-games-179028.phtml

The video games industry has to learn to operate in a different way. My answer is for us as publishers is to actually sell unfinished games and to offer the consumer multiple micro-payments to buy elements of the full experience.

I'm afraid, very afraid...

“I'm not necessarily a fan of DRM measures. I think sometimes they're almost counter-productive. I can still be persuaded on them, and I completely understand why they exist but my initial thought is that DRM is not the answer to the piracy issue,” the games veteran told CVG.

“The video games industry has to learn to operate in a different way. My answer is for us as publishers is to actually sell unfinished games and to offer the consumer multiple micro-payments to buy elements of the full experience. That would create an offering that is affordable at retail but over a period of time may also generate more revenue for the publishers to reinvest in our games.”

So, for instance, EA might charge £20 for the retail version of the new FIFA. But the disc might only include exhibition mode and same-console multiplayer. Career Mode could then cost an additional £10, online play another £10 and Be A Pro a further £10, brining the full price of the full title to the current £50 RRP but drastically lowering the barrier to entry on the High Street.

Hey hey, look at what context does! [1]

Yeah, I referred to it last page, with article and all. But we all know IVP, and the mess this guy has already left behind at other companies the past ten years. I find it very plausible they'd try his game model if the base income from the game is 'lacking'.

I think the problem is that such an approach can never work on a subscription based MMORPG. In fact we already pay monthly for expansions, more often than not we do not even know what we get the following month. E.g. people with premier membership pay upfront for up to a whole year, without knowing what it will bring. Especially with these PttP polls and RuneLabs. So I wonder what he could bring in to the team and the assets he has.

• Like 1

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

They should steal the DLC principle from Nintendo, who actually understood how to implement DLC. For those of you who don't know about that, Nintendo released mario kart (a full game, compared to their other games), then afterwards they released a DLC package which was priced accordingly to the content it gave (more tracks and characters).

And to be honest, I don't mind paying for the client, as long as it means I don't have to have loading issues, and the client is actually good, also it would have to be a one-time pay.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

It would also kind of undermine their marketing strategy as being the "#1 free to play MMO" if the only way to play for free is either use an old/less popular browser or pay for a client. Speaking of which, I don't suppose anyone will be able to build an extension to make Java run in Chrome anyway even when they stop supporting it?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

^Imo you are better off without Java (one reason being security flaws, the other being that it is an very oldated slow piece of software).. And my guess is that when the new client comes out they will stop using java at all, as they would need to update two systems all the time. But yeah it would not be wise to ask for payments for the client.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Out of context micro-payments quote aside, I'm far more interested in the fact Cousens was accused of corporate fraud, pocketing a 800,000$ "bonus" while Acclaim was going bankrupt. I can't find any information on how the lawsuit was settled. Then he goes on to join codemasters as CEO, does well for a while, until things start taking a nosedive and keep getting worse for years. This guy leaves destruction in his wake and Runescape is his next plaything, I think you should be worried.

• Like 2

2480+ total