Rod Cousens Joins Jagex As New CEO

Sylpheed

Interesting, maybe someone with some prior experience will help things run a little more smoothly.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Interesting, maybe someone with some prior experience will help things run a little more smoothly.

Cousens' departure follows recent redundancies at the developer's UK headquarters and the closure of its Japan office. /quote

I don't know, seems like he failed at his previous company. Guess we'll have to give him a chance...

It may be the optimist in me peeking out but you can be horrible in one thing but do great in another...at least, I hope they did their homework instead of blindly rushing and saying "This guy's just been fired, let's go get him cheap!"

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

http://www.destructoid.com/codemasters-ceo-s-drm-solution-sell-unfinished-games-179028.phtml

The video games industry has to learn to operate in a different way. My answer is for us as publishers is to actually sell unfinished games and to offer the consumer multiple micro-payments to buy elements of the full experience.

I'm afraid, very afraid...

• Like 9

The video games industry has to learn to operate in a different way. My answer is for us as publishers is to actually sell unfinished games and to offer the consumer multiple micro-payments to buy elements of the full experience.

SHIT
  • Like 4

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

oh goody more microtransactions i will ignore on principal

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

http://www.destructoid.com/codemasters-ceo-s-drm-solution-sell-unfinished-games-179028.phtml

"Access Yanille today for today's Deal of the Day at the low low payment of 75 cents!*"

*Payment recurs each month until cancelled.

I take it back, this doesn't sound good ._.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Any chance this new CEO has posted an opening statement or letter of some kind that we can analyze into oblivion? :?

~D. V. "had to freaking ask" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Any chance this new CEO has posted an opening statement or letter of some kind that we can analyze into oblivion? :?

~D. V. "had to freaking ask" Devnull

He might after he gets his office. He's been a boardmember for years already as an IVP pawn, so I don't expect an opening statement which will make us happy.

Wait that selling unfinished games thing is in the context of DRM. Might not be too applicable to RS, right?

Right?

It was in context of DRM, but you know Jagex/IVP, they'll probably want to try it out in the RuneScape model.

They better not start charging for the downloadable client or something. We won't even be able to riot if so, because we wouldn't be able to log in once browsers stop supporting Java!

• Like 2

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

SHIT

lmfao

I was going to post something witty-esque but i can't stop chuckling at how [bleep]ed we all are.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I think this calls for some pretty serious discussion amongst all of the community. Now i am not sure if any of the previous people in his new position had any dealings that are similar, that is a whole other bag of cats. But these are some pretty terrifying things. can we vote to not have him come in and find some one from within the team to promote up. some one who already has a vested interest in the company and not some one who is going to turn it into a micro-transaction piggybank. 

pffff. yeah....so we are screwed. 

EDIT: even though the article is 10 years old, it is still concerning. 

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

How can anyone think this is a good business model? That'd be along the lines of a car company CEO saying 'In order to make your car buying experience as difficult as possible we are going to sell you a car with only 3 wheels on it, the forth one you can buy from us to give you the full experience of owning a car.'

The game has enough micro transactions. All this is, is a middle finger given to us players from the high-ups on jagex, we don't care about your game as long as we get the monies.

EDIT: possible this is a late April fools day joke...?

• Like 1

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Want to play a in a new immersive continent and experience lost ancient cultures and peoples? That's great... Just pay $5 for access to runescapes eastern lands. Consequently each island after the arc will cost additional charges to progress and explore. Each island is roughly the size of a mainland kingdom which is nothing short of all the content you would normally play in one of those areas. I almost feel that runescape could potentially go the route of "downloadable content" expansions.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

“I'm not necessarily a fan of DRM measures. I think sometimes they're almost counter-productive. I can still be persuaded on them, and I completely understand why they exist but my initial thought is that DRM is not the answer to the piracy issue,” the games veteran told CVG.

“The video games industry has to learn to operate in a different way. My answer is for us as publishers is to actually sell unfinished games and to offer the consumer multiple micro-payments to buy elements of the full experience. That would create an offering that is affordable at retail but over a period of time may also generate more revenue for the publishers to reinvest in our games.”

So, for instance, EA might charge £20 for the retail version of the new FIFA. But the disc might only include exhibition mode and same-console multiplayer. Career Mode could then cost an additional £10, online play another £10 and Be A Pro a further £10, brining the full price of the full title to the current £50 RRP but drastically lowering the barrier to entry on the High Street.

Hey hey, look at what context does! [1]

• Like 4

ok so will likely be more of the same, he was indeed promoted from directors board.

what evs then

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thieving guide[WIP]

~~~legoman187~~~

“I'm not necessarily a fan of DRM measures. I think sometimes they're almost counter-productive. I can still be persuaded on them, and I completely understand why they exist but my initial thought is that DRM is not the answer to the piracy issue,” the games veteran told CVG.

“The video games industry has to learn to operate in a different way. My answer is for us as publishers is to actually sell unfinished games and to offer the consumer multiple micro-payments to buy elements of the full experience. That would create an offering that is affordable at retail but over a period of time may also generate more revenue for the publishers to reinvest in our games.”

So, for instance, EA might charge £20 for the retail version of the new FIFA. But the disc might only include exhibition mode and same-console multiplayer. Career Mode could then cost an additional £10, online play another £10 and Be A Pro a further £10, brining the full price of the full title to the current £50 RRP but drastically lowering the barrier to entry on the High Street.

Hey hey, look at what context does! [1]

Huh... that's actually a really good idea. I almost never buy a game at full retail unless I absolutely must have it now because I'm cheap like that. If they left out the multiplayer mode and lowered the cost of the game for it, I might actually be persuaded to buy a game on launch day.

So a basically a model of pay for the modes you want rather than pay for half of a game and the other half in DLCs..

I would have prefered the term 'modularised' rather than 'unfinished', though what he is describing is really heavily dependent on how it is implemented and the game in question. I personally would love a cheaper version of the game with the multiplayer removed, as that part in any game are stuff I generally avoid. EG I would gladly shave off $10 or so off GTA V if it means no multiplayer.

• Like 2

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)