New Position: Junior Crewbie!

Junior Crewbie Recruitment

As you may (or may not!) know, the information on all of Tip.It's pages is maintained by a group of dedicated volunteers known collectively as the Tip.It Website Crew. If you've seen them around our forum, you may have recognized the purple names. This small group of people is entirely responsible for all the content on the site, from making sure skill guides are up-to-date to adding and collecting information on when items in the game are released to tracking down changes that may not entirely be covered in the Patch Notes. If you haven't gotten the jist of it, it is a lot of stuff to keep up with, and we could use some help. And that, dear reader, is where you can come in!

We are excited to announce, as of today, a new opportunity to help contribute to our site as a Junior Crewbie! This is a new site position we are going to be offering. What is expected and what are the benefits of being a Junior Crewbie you ask?
  • Unlike other staff positions, this time new members are welcome to apply, even if you are reading this and don't currently have a forum account! You need to make one though obviously for us to grant access to a forum that isn't public. All we ask is that you have some free time and are willing to be able to commit on a weekly basis.
  • A somewhat lower time commitment compared to regular Crew, say ~3 to 5 hours/week. You still need to put in a few hours a week to help gather information, and we expect you to be active in chat when you're around, but most of it will focus on obtaining information rather than the sometimes more arduous job of coding it in.
  • Junior Crewbies will have access to a staff forum and a Skype chat to get a feel for what goes on in Crew. You can see people collaborating, help out yourself, ask questions, and even just hang out during down time. We're cool like that  :shades: .
  • You will be able to help Tip.It in an official capacity and become a trusted source of information, instead of being restricted to submitting information through the website corrections section.
  • You will be given assignments weekly and after a few weeks, given your official color and rank title assuming everything goes well.
  • Junior Crewbies are not given privileges to access our system and write code, so you should not be expecting this. This position will however serve as a recruitment pool for those who may be interested in advancing to full crew work, should you be interested.
There are some things that are absolutely necessary for this position; they are:
  • Tip.It Forum account. You need to make an account with TIF to apply of course, and you'll be expected to check up on assignments weekly.
  • Activity. There are two facets to activity:
    • Generally being available. Most weeks, you should be free to do stuff. Simple right?
    • Clear communication of when you're unavailable. This is frequently glossed over, but is just as important.
  • Skype account. We work closely together in Skype. You need to have or make an account there. We use Skype as an instant messenger; there is no obligation to use voice chat functions.
You'll notice that I haven't mentioned anything about RuneScape stats thus far. Having found this forum post and assuming you still play or are willing to keep up with or investigate content, that is probably enough. You don't need to be a god in stats to help out Tip.It. After all, if you had already finished all the quests, you wouldn't be able to test whether ancient bones awarded from Restless Ghost stack with bonuses (for example). So if doing research on items and other stuff appeals to you, this is definitely an opportunity that you'll want to take advantage of!

If you're still reading and this has piqued your interest, great! We'll need the following information from you. We are not running this on a first-come first-serve basis, so please take your time to fill out a few questions thoroughly and accurately. This is as much for us to learn about you and see if there is stuff you would enjoy doing - we're not judging you on stats or anything.

1. Stats - Please link us to your stats in the hiscores or provide a self-updating signature.

2. Quests - Are you an avid quester? Roughly what fraction of non-repeatable quests have you done, and how likely is it that you will work on more in the future?

3. Time zone and roughly when you're on (to help make sure people are available if you have questions)

4. Tell us what you're most interested in. Killing monsters for drops and love keeping logs? Research new items or have a lot of less common stuff you may be able to provide info on? Researching new ways to train skills? Let us know what you like.

5. We're not going to have you filling out forms or anything, but ~3-5 hours of time a week will be a reasonable expectation of what you will need to commit. Does that seem reasonable for your schedule?

6. Why do you want to join the Tip.It Staff, and what would you specifically bring to the table?

7. Do you have any type of image editing experience? If so, with which programs? If not, are you interested in learning?

8. If you're new to our site, what's an example of something you have discovered, a guide you've made, whatever that you can show us? If you've been on TIF for a while, what are you most proud of discovering/contributing to the forum?

Please copy and paste the application into your Personal Messenger, fill it out there, and address it to Staff_Applications. We look forward to reviewing your application and hope to work with you in the future!
  • Like 4

09144a99bb.png

This is a smart move. More importantly, it's a critical step in working with the researchers and explorers of today's community who may not want to bother with such tedious book-work. Both steps are vital, but the experts always seem to be in short supply versus those willing to do grunt work!

Good luck to all those who apply. Your help is vital to keeping a vibrant Runescape community, no matter where you publish it...but Tip.it has the coders and the talented behind-the-scenes players to give your specialized work that edge it needs to reach people. Definitely consider it.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

This is a good move imo. For someone who was very un-skilled in coding, it was a pain trying to both gather data and learn to code it into guides on my own when other crewbies weren't on/available. :v

Popoto.~<3

Good luck to anyone that applies. :)

[spoiler=As for me...]Skype?  Really?  I'm screwed.  I hit the dead wall known as my family when it comes to loading up communications applications. :wall:

Worse, what about all the constant exploiting that happens to Skype?  Bah, I guess being a Tip.It Crewbie is only for Social Media Nuts who don't worry about issues with loading any piece of software they come across. :(

~D. V. "All that, and I retired from RuneScape a long time ago." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I never had Skype before I was invited to staff for those sorts of reasons and for the fact that I didn't really need it.

I signed up for it though, limited sharing my details to only staff members of this site, and didn't put in any personal info to share, and I haven't had any issues with exploiting or hacking or anything else. So if Skype is your only reservation I assure you it's very manageable.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Skype?  Really?  I'm screwed.  I hit the dead wall known as my family when it comes to loading up communications applications. :wall:

Worse, what about all the constant exploiting that happens to Skype?  Bah, I guess being a Tip.It Crewbie is only for Social Media Nuts who don't worry about issues with loading any piece of software they come across. :(

Yeah I feel you, that's why I took a leave of absence from Crew one time. I couldn't stand all the social media nutcases, but don't worry, in ten years they'll all be in insane asylums for daring to use any software made in the last ten years. Can you believe, we primarily use Chrome, and not IE? It gets worse, we actually use HTML5.

I know, I know. I've tried to talk to the administrators about downgrading. We probably should switch to the vastly superior IRC and save ourselves from the NSA hackers. I know they've been dying to get intel on Tip.It's latest guides these past few months. Their director's son is going for 120 Slayer and needs the best task prefer/block list. I'll discuss this with the administrators and report back.

Guys please please like this forum post so my social media ego validation can be fulfilled.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/FatefulSign

But actually, best of luck to those applying. Once you get past the mandatory Facebook and Instagram like contests (or the Tumblr argument competitions), it's really quite fun! :)

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

I signed up for it though, limited sharing my details to only staff members of this site, and didn't put in any personal info to share, and I haven't had any issues with exploiting or hacking or anything else.

You're missing out on Amanda!

09144a99bb.png

Skype?  Really? ... Worse, what about all the constant exploiting that happens to Skype?

I used skype nearly the entire time I was on staff. I had no issues. I took my security seriously, took the necessary precautions, and never had an issue with being compromised via skype.

Instant communication is vital to the training process and work schedule of a team like this. Provided you are smart with your security, using skype will not be the make-or-break of your overall well-being.

I can assure you there are educated team members on the crew who can clear up your misconceptions & set you on the right path. :)

hzvjpwS.gif

Great idea :D I personally would rather code than gather ;) and I would if the days were twice as long (not much free time for me). Just one small suggestion, make a redirect in the website corrections forum to this post, (non active) people rarely visit the announcement forum more than once... (If they do at all)

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Great idea :D I personally would rather code than gather ;) and I would if the days were twice as long (not much free time for me). Just one small suggestion, make a redirect in the website corrections forum to this post, (non active) people rarely visit the announcement forum more than once... (If they do at all)

Good idea, done :).

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

[spoiler=As for me...]Skype?  Really?  I'm screwed.  I hit the dead wall known as my family when it comes to loading up communications applications. :wall:

I had to use Skype daily for my time on staff. I never encountered any issues, and to this day haven't. Also, staff never had to download 'any piece of software'. It's Skype. 

Anywhom, good luck to all who apply. :)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I can assure you there are educated team members on the crew who can clear up your misconceptions & set you on the right path.  :)

Best of luck trying to find them though!

I had to use Skype daily for my time on staff. I never encountered any issues, and to this day haven't. Also, staff never had to download 'any piece of software'. It's Skype. 

Rainy Day is still alive? Those assassins have done a terrible job!

Best of luck to applicants, crew is full of nutcases, but it was a fun time for the most part (worst part was dealing with that Stev chap, he's literally the worst ;))

[hide=Stats]Dragonkng198.png          Pumpking.png[/hide]

61669e5031.png

71fb431906.png

39c60fedc1.jpg

^so the cowman jokes are now changed to stev jokes? XD

I don't think the phrase "Stev-Tipping" works at all. :notalk:

~D. V. "It just don't fit." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Good input Arthur 

• Like 2

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

I am not really interested in the Junior Crewbie position, but I was wondering if there are any suggestions or even a standard form to use for making logs?

Can you be more specific about what type of logs? Are you referring to monster drops?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

I am not really interested in the Junior Crewbie position, but I was wondering if there are any suggestions or even a standard form to use for making logs?

Can you be more specific about what type of logs? Are you referring to monster drops?

Mostly monster drops, but not opposed to gathering info on skilling like success rate type things.

Jimvierling5.png

My Ironman account.

You can submit a correction through the relevant link on the page itself on our website, for example for items:

9st5uc5.png

There's a similar link for the bestiary for each individual monster on its page. :)

For something more involved, making a forum thread is probably better.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

^I don't think the crew makes drop logs as they don't give % chance of getting drops. Thus if you come across a new drop and it gets confirmed (or if you are crew yourself) it gets added to the drop list.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I have to say - in terms of applications, this is probably one of the best recruitment drive we've had for nearly any position. Keep them coming!

Am very happy with Arceus now at the reigns, and very excited to see where this takes us!

• Like 1

09144a99bb.png