Can My Parents Force Me To Go To Church?

Sir_Itchlot

A little background..

My mom is "Christian". Or at least she says she is.

She goes to church, but is by far the worst person I know.

If it were between her and I, I would go to heaven over her, and I'm not even "Christian".

My question..

I'm 15 years old.

I live in Ontario. (Location laws may be different?)

Every Sunday, my mother forces me to go to church.

If I don't go, she usually grounds me for a week, or worse.

I've been grounded for months at a time.

A few times she's threatened to kick me out of the house, or even.. not feed me all week. (I don't think she would do the last one, but still convinced me to go)

I've been researching it, and can't find anything, but..

Are there any laws against this?

I don't want to have to go to church, but don't want to be grounded all my life either. :shock:

What can I do?

EDIT: I'm posting this because I'm completely fed up.

She just told me to go, I said no. I'm not going anymore, no matter what.

She took the modem, said I was grounded for 2 weeks.

I have a back-up of course. :D

But she'll be back soon.......

More..

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?p=2761789#2761789

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just go. What is an hour out of your life every week?

Even if she legally can't make you go (I'm not sure.), there are probably other thigs which she does for you that she doesn't have to.

Just go. What is an hour out of your life every week?

Even if she legally can't make you go (I'm not sure.), there are probably other thigs which she does for you that she doesn't have to.

It's more about my beliefs.

I don't want to look like a hypocrit like her.

She does nothing for me, literally.

I buy my own lunch at school with my own money, I walk everywhere I go.

I pay the internet bill, and buy all of my clothes.

I buy my dinner, or make something like a sandwich, noone ever makes me anything.

I hate her so much.

Why you people telling him to go? I'm not sure of Canadaian laws, but there has to be a freedom of religion. People can't FORCE you to obey a religion. I say report her to police, say "she's volating my rights."

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

If it's that important to you, just accept the groundings and smile about it. You could also consider telling the priest that she is forcing you to go to church when you are an atheist. I've talked to many a priest in my day and have found them to be much more understanding about other peoples' beliefs than the vast majority of their paritioners.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Why you people telling him to go? I'm not sure of Canadaian laws, but there has to be a freedom of religion. People can't FORCE you to obey a religion. I say report her to police, say "she's volating my rights."

Sitting quiet for 2 hours beats being grounded for "months" any day.

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona

This is strange: You titled your post "can my parents make me go to church?" and yet all you talk about is your mum... What about your poor dad :(

But it seems to me you need a hug. *hugs Sir_Itchlot*

I would just go to church. Maybe listen to the sermon if it seems interesting. You can learn some great advice that doesn't apply to any religion from listening to the message. It can help you with things later on in your life, like it has for me.

In America parents can do what they like with you; even send you to a bad behaviour camp (in another country that doesn't care so much about child abuse). In other countries I'm not so sure but one thing is for certain, parents can make you do what they like and if you don't like it run away and live by yourself. They arenÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t physically or mentally abusing you so there isnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t too much you can do but go along with it.

If you really donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t want to go, why donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t you talk to the minister, explain your situation and see if he/she can reason with your mother.

so how much do you make at this job where you get the money to pay for all this stuff? i hope you dont consider paying for all this stuff with allowance to be actually paying for it.

Excellent point. I keep trying to tell my friends that. They say that they buy their own stuff, but they really get "allowance" which is just pocket money from thier parents for doing a grand total of nothing.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

Until you feel you're big and scary enough to fend for yourself out in the real world, putting a roof over your own head and food on your own plate you're probably best off just gritting your teeth and toughing out the conditions your parents place on living under their roof and eating their food.

siganizq4.gif

She can't legally force you to go to church. (As far as I know) I understand that your beliefs are different than hers, but just go. It beats getting grounded plus, you can listen to what they say and develop a better reason for why you believe differently.

I live in a small, completely christian town, I'm not christian (and people certainly do treat me differently because of it. As far as some people are concerened, I'm a heretic and will be first in line to get into hell.) but, I do occassionally drop into church, just to listen to a sermon or two. It may not go along with my beliefs but, it certainly is interesting to listen to, and a good way to develop tolerance toward people who believe differently than you.

3898000bYVcx.png

Sadly, your 15, which means I do think she can continue to keep you going to church.

Yup.

Just suck it up for now...it's nice to have such firm principles, but I think this situation clearly calls for your going to church every sunday. It's just ridiculous to disobey her.

If you can, try talking to her. I mean TALK to her. However, considering the experience I've had with many of the fervantly religious, that hardly has any effect. But heck, it's worth a try.

Good luck.

Runescape Name: "unbug07"

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

No she cannot, and if she cannot see this, she is breaking the law and should be fined for it. Luckly you live in canada, and have the same rights as me, so i can help you out.

She cannot at all force you if you do not wish to go. Ignore the others who say just to do so. You have a PRACTICE to practice your religion. If your religion is being an athiest (or whatever) and it is agains tyour belifes to go to church, then she cannot force you at all, for she would be breaking your right.

Here is a site that has the charter of rights and freedoms

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/#garantie

Found this

Enforcement

Enforcement of guaranteed rignts and freedoms 24. (1) Anyone whose rights or freedoms, as guaranteed by this Charter, have been infringed or denied may apply to a court of competent jurisdiction to obtain such remedy as the court considers appropriate and just in the circumstances.

Exclusion of evidence bringing administration of justice into disrepute (2) Where, in proceedings under subsection (1), a court concludes that evidence was obtained in a manner that infringed or denied any rights or freedoms guaranteed by this Charter, the evidence shall be excluded if it is established that, having regard to all the circumstances, the admission of it in the proceedings would bring the administration of justice into disrepute.

Also she cant kick you out untill your 16, and since your still a minor under her, if she dosent feed you, thats basicly child abuse.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

And threatening to NOT feed you... that's just wrong...

Yep, that's the ticket right there. Threats are illegal, I think? Hard to prove though. Too bad she's so hypocritical, it's no wonder Christianity's got a bad rep.

summerpngwy6.jpg

This is why I told my mum that she can drag me along if she wanted, but i'd just start walking home as soon as i got out of the car.

Didn't take her long to give up. Then again, she didn't threaten to no feed me and whatnot.

Go there and sleep. If she jabs you or something to wake you up - just disrupt the service. And do it on a weekly basis. Either she'll stop forcing you to come to stop having attention drawn to herself, or someone will ask her to stop brining you.

In a half decent world I'd say the first would happen before the latter - but you never know.

And I by no means condone said advice. Use it as a last resort only :-?

I don't really think the issue of whether she can LEGALLY tell you what to do is the real issue. I think that the author is trying to get at the morality of his mother forcing religion upon him when he's not even Christian.

I, personally, wouldn't ever dream of forcing my religion upon my child simply because I believe that religion is a personal choice between you and God and that if I made that decision for you, the connection wouldn't be as personal or meaningful.

To threaten you with the idea of not feeding you or getting grounded for not attending her church is completely excessive and not very Christian like. Times like these require non-violent resistance techniques such as not talking for showing any signs of emotion. Or you could get in the car and "go to church" but stay in the car. I don't know, push the issue and try things out and see what works.