Is human society screwed? (new topic name)

chris1216

Democracy and capitalism do work, as proven by the United States of America. No, it's not a perfect system, no one said it was but to my mind it's the best there is (that's capitalism and democracy in general btw). It takes a lot of work, and can work better under certain administrations but the general fundamentals laid down by the Constitution are in my mind, right.

Actually I see the United Nations as the way forward, democracy may require hard work but it generally is the most morally correct way.

Technically, an incorruptible dictatorship is the best way. Absolute power corrupts absolutely? Maybe not.

Guest GhostRanger
Democracy and capitalism do work, as proven by the United States of America. No, it's not a perfect system, no one said it was but to my mind it's the best there is (that's capitalism and democracy in general btw). It takes a lot of work, and can work better under certain administrations but the general fundamentals laid down by the Constitution are in my mind, right.

Actually I see the United Nations as the way forward, democracy may require hard work but it generally is the most morally correct way.

Technically, an incorruptible dictatorship is the best way. Absolute power corrupts absolutely? Maybe not.

Dictatorship? I couldn't think of a worse idea. Social contracting is the most logical. Government is merely a contract between people to make their lives easier, and only exists as long as it is working for the people. A dictatorship requires full and unquestioned power being given to someone... yet I'm certain we all agree that all people are equal? Right?

@Assassin: The UN? The way forward? Spare me! I can't think of a broken system in need of more reform than the UN.

yet I'm certain we all agree that all people are equal? Right?

all people should have equal rights, but not all people are equal. some are better than others, but that shouldnt mean the get more rights than others.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Guest GhostRanger

all people should have equal rights, but not all people are equal. some are better than others, but that shouldnt mean the get more rights than others.

Well now there you're getting into specifics on what equality means. No we don't all have the same talents, the same social standing, the same wealth - but we are equal in that we have the same rights. I agree with you 100% :P

Well now there you're getting into specifics on what equality means. No we don't all have the same talents, the same social standing, the same wealth - but we are equal in that we have the same rights. I agree with you 100% :P

sounds good to me :D

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Yea, leave it up to one person [like you] to decide everything that goes on in my country.

I'll take option two.

Ghost: I am prejudice towards ignorance, so that would explain why I appear to be so.

sounds good to me :D

Agreed.

Sweden isn't THAT small. Luxemburg, go there and see small.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I'm thinking an absolute Hegemony would be the best way to go... Nothing to gain, nor to lose for the peeps on the Hegemon Council which would make them focus upon being better leaders in order to get into the history books...

I'd take a decent dictator over democracy every day. The people do a great job at having opinions, but the decisions they make are often flawed. Of course, there is no ruler which everyone, or probably even more than one hundred people, would support.

Guest GhostRanger
I'd take a decent dictator over democracy every day. The people do a great job at having opinions, but the decisions they make are often flawed. Of course, there is no ruler which everyone, or probably even more than one hundred people, would support.

Or would you prefer a Platonic Republic? Sure, everyone has an opinion...but let's face it, you shouldn't have input in the decisions if you're still looking at shadow puppets in the cave.

The UN? The way forward? Spare me! I can't think of a broken system in need of more reform than the UN.

I agree that it's by no means a perfect system, but in terms of politics it's a relatively new concept. Frankly it's so overwhelmed with the current problems throughout the world. I refuse to accept that it's a completely broken system though.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Guest GhostRanger
The UN? The way forward? Spare me! I can't think of a broken system in need of more reform than the UN.

I agree that it's by no means a perfect system, but in terms of politics it's a relatively new concept. Frankly it's so overwhelmed with the current problems throughout the world. I refuse to accept that it's a completely broken system though.

The idea behind the UN isn't what I think is broke. But I can't think of anything good the UN does...

The UN's idea is a good idea, but it's about as useful as the Articles of Confederation.

Useless.

They think they have power but they don't. They're limited by the Security Council which has views of Russia and the US which are almost always completely different. Israel has been saved by U.S. Iran is saved by Russia.

The only thing they do is waste money. Oil for food and paying for some bureaucrats to eat nice food while they talk all day about something they have no power over.

Let's just move them to some deserted island. :wink:

I'm currently transitioning from a Wizard to a Mage and a Priest to an Archpriest. Lol both are nonexistant in the top 25. Hopefully I can change that. :D

The idea behind the UN isn't what I think is broke. But I can't think of anything good the UN does...

I'm reading a book on that at the moment, let me get back to you on that :wink:

Off the top of my head though i'm sure some of the arms embargoes etc. have had some effect. I might be wrong though.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Yea, leave it up to one person [like you] to decide everything that goes on in my country.

I'll take option two.

Notice the number of people that bothered to comment on your useless flame.

I'm reading a book on that at the moment, let me get back to you on that :wink:

Off the top of my head though i'm sure some of the arms embargoes etc. have had some effect. I might be wrong though.

The U.N. isn't the worst idea to ever come through the international scene (coughLeagueofNationscough) but i would agree that they're hamstrung in major decisions by the Security Council, which seems so often defined by the directly opposite views of the U.S. from Russia or China.

I'm thinking an absolute Hegemony would be the best way to go... Nothing to gain, nor to lose for the peeps on the Hegemon Council which would make them focus upon being better leaders in order to get into the history books...

Elaborate? I've never heard of a Hegemon Council. The only thing google turned up for me is a MIT website about a hegemonic federation of planets that sounded like Star Trek.

Elaborate? I've never heard of a Hegemon Council. The only thing google turned up for me is a MIT website about a hegemonic federation of planets that sounded like Star Trek.

When help is in need of ya, don't hesitate to use Wikipedia.

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

I'll take option two.

That's because the wittiness of his post left us speechless.

This is the way the world ends. Look at this [bleep]ing shit we're in man. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. And with a whimper, I'm splitting, Jack.

I'll take option two.

I bet it did. You were apparently too speechless to make a meaningful contribution to this conversation.

Runesmithie, I know what a hegemon is, per se (the U.S. as an increasingly less dominant one), but i had no idea what he meant by a hegemonic council, and why it wouldn't have anything to gain.

Guest GhostRanger
a whole lot of stuff

I'm confused. Do you still believe that capitalism and democracy are mutually exclusive? You do know that they are completely different things...compeltely unrelated, right?

I'll take option two.

I bet it did. You were apparently too speechless to make a meaningful contribution to this conversation.

Runesmithie, I know what a hegemon is, per se (the U.S. as an increasingly less dominant one), but i had no idea what he meant by a hegemonic council, and why it wouldn't have anything to gain.

Notice how I said absolute Hegemony?