British Hospitality

bearofthunder

For the past few days, I have been researching visa requirements for various places I plan on visiting next summer. Most of these inquiries went off without a hitch. I would simply call the country's American embassy and ask for the information (I am not a US citizen, merely a permanent resident, and my situation is rarely taken into account on embassy websites, so I must call and ask for this kind of information directly.)

However, when I visited the British embassy website, this is what I found on their "contact us" page:

1-900-990.... (Premium rate -$2.10 per minute)

1-800-935.... (Credit card)

This was highly unusual, but luckily there was a local number for a British consulate in my state. Understandably, this was the number I decided to call.

I got through pretty quickly and was greeted with a voice menu, after which I chose the option for general inquiries, which was what my query fell under. I was not applying for a visa, merely asking if I needed one, a question that would have taken a phone operator a mere minute to answer. However, when I finally reached a person on the line and asked my question, I was told to "please hold." I thought I was being transfered to another person, but what I instead heard was a recorded message:

Please call 1-900-990.... This number is a premium line and charges $2.10 per minute. For credit card billing, please call 1-800-935 ....

How will Britain foster international relations if it expects prospective travelers to pay for such basic information? I would understand if the subject of travel requirements was not within the expertise of consulate officials, but given that every other country whose embassy I called was able to answer my question within seconds, I find their attempt to profit from my call to be absurd.

Most call centres arent in England as Bubsa said. I saw this thing about how the call centres for big companys are infact in India... That's why the costs are high.

Oh, guess how they are taught what British life is like? They watch EasterEnders (a popular soap drama), stupid idea as like every month someone is killed off or raped or something :?

Ooops I went off topic :roll:

sig5235ro7.jpg

Take a long trip to enjoy the scenery around London on the M25, the tour goes quite slow so you can se sure to enjoy the views.

We've got a wide range of quality food establishments such as McDonalds, Pizza Hit and The Greasy Spoon caf̮̩̉̉

You can take advantage of our quality media industry consisting of informative newspapers such as The Sun, News of the World and Daily Sport.

Why dont you watch our cutting edge television media with shows like Derek Acoras Ghost Town, Emmerdale and Space Cadets)

So why the bloody hell do ya wanna come here?

whybloody22gm.jpg

With apologies to the australian tourist board for spoofing their advertising campaign

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

With apologies to the australian tourist board for spoofing their advertising campaign
Apparently Canada has a problem with it for not saying what sort of beer. And some other country has a problem with the word 'hell' :-?

I got no idea if it's true or not - but I honestly wouldn't be suprised.

Honestly, if they have a problem with the ad - they might as well stay the hell out. Because if they get [kitty]-hurt of something like the ad which is meant to get them here, then they'll be insulted within 5 minutes of landing in the country.

If you're ringing the American Embassy then surely it's American hospitality you're complaining about?

In a little hilltop village they gambled for my clothes

I bargained for salvation and they gave me a lethal dose

I offered up my innocence, I got repaid with scorn

"Come in'', she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"

We don't take too kindly to foreigners around these parts.

Where are you frome?

Ahahahaha!

The Ghetto.

And no lol why do you always want to get stuff from John Lewis. Its over ̣̉300 more then than what i paid.

John Lewis is a great, great shop.

Where are you frome?
Was that a typo or a purposly mispelled word?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

If you'll care to take a peek at my location then you might understand why i thought it might have been on purpose. Me and Rizla are rl mates

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

If you'll care to take a peek at my location then you might understand why i thought it might have been on purpose. Me and Rizla are rl mates

I know.... i'm trying to say i think it's pretty obvious it was on purpose, because that would be funny. hence "ahahahaha" :?

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona

All i can say is....wow....Why...There are plenty of foreigners in Britain, and only a small Amount of them make trouble...

I believe he was trying to be sarcastic there.

sig2ho7.jpg