Computer or Laptop

mrscrounger

If you want to be able to carry it around, then get a laptop. A desktop will be much faster and much more worth your money. Since you're looking for gaming, you'll probably want to go with the desktop. :)

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.

laptops are really hard to upgrade and have a lot less options as to what they can have in them due to the obviouse size issues.

I would go with a desktop unless you REALLY need the mobility of a laptop.

reportbuttanerfb6.gif

If it is just for games and you're not going to college too soon, desktop. Cheaper, sometimes faster, easier to upgrade, etc. The portability of laptops is pleasing but in the end, if you're just looking for performance, get the desktop.

sithbridgeay2.jpg

I have a quick quesiton for all those attending a college or university: Do you really need a laptop's mobility? Do you mainly use it around the dorm/house or do you take it around campus, class, etc?

Just curious if it is truly necessary.

punk4ever.gif

By The_Jeppoz :wink:

I have a quick quesiton for all those attending a college or university: Do you really need a laptop's mobility? Do you mainly use it around the dorm/house or do you take it around campus, class, etc?

Just curious if it is truly necessary.

Well I'm a first year, and it looks like I could have brought my desktop here and it would have been fine. Being a science major, I don't bring my laptop to many of my classes (since it'd be foolish to be typing in math or chemistry!). It is nice to have the laptop in my GE classes (especially political science, Asian American Studies) in which I have to take down a LOT of notes.

I'm sure I'll be loving my laptop a lot more next year. I'll be living OFF campus and I'll probably be hanging around the library more often; my laptop will be much more handy then, since I can't go back to my dorm (which is only 3 min from class) after every class.

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.

Laptops are terrible things to take to class...

- They are a huge distraction to the user. especially if they have games/movies on it.

- They annoy other people especially with the clicking from typing or when the fan starts up. (If you do plan on using one try and get a silent as possible one)

-Hand written notes are 'probably' faster and easier to format.

Out of class and during normal study times they have a few advantages...

-Convenience access to all of your files at any times. This is most helpful while doing research in a library or something.

-Guarantee access to a computer while on campus.

A laptop is not really necessary.