Pay To Play - Too Expensive?

lordspyx

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if ya gona moan about it being ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã5 a month pay using one of the other cheaper ways. just get a paperound or something else and you don't have to worry about the bills anymore. if your gona pay by card you can do it with a debit card (which i have) or a credit card. i just justifided it to my dad my saying its just like buying a ps2 every year which i probablely do anyway.

Please click below to help with my ICT A Level, for which I have to monitor my website for 8 weeks, hits and feedback welcome.

http://www.chauncystweb.co.uk/sm

Feedback page now up and working.

http://www.simon.com/giftcard/

That I believe would work just like a credit card (making the cheaper payment option avalible for those under 18). Just ask your parents to buy one (with your money if you pay for yourself).

The Simon Giftcard provides more flexibility and more choices. You can redeem your gift card at any Simon Mall, at most every retailer, and anywhere that Visa Debit Cards are accepted. These gift cards provide the ultimate in choice.

Can I give the Simon Giftcard to someone under the age of 18?

Yes, you can give the Simon Giftcard to anyone 13 years of age or older.

Call me Kat, or Kathy Corkat

Of course we are all forgetting that even if we can't afford it there is still an F2P option so even those who can't afford it can still play even though it does mean missing out of member only extras. With some online games it's a case of pay or don't play, there is no free option.

Celticqueen.png

That I believe would work just like a credit card (making the cheaper payment option avalible for those under 18). Just ask your parents to buy one (with your money if you pay for yourself).

The Simon Giftcard provides more flexibility and more choices. You can redeem your gift card at any Simon Mall, at most every retailer, and anywhere that Visa Debit Cards are accepted. These gift cards provide the ultimate in choice.

They have the same things at pretty much every "chain" of malls in america, nowadays. Weve got them here, but the local chain is "Westcor", not simon :P

And to the thread starter.. If youd rather buy a game and only pay once, rather then pay for runescape, then do so.

I did a little research and although I am not sure this applies to all of their giftcards (I looked at their MetaBank giftcard), there is a handling fee of $5.95 and it appears that purchasing a giftcard for a year's worth of RS members is the best option, as there is a $2.50 fee each month after that.

I am not sure what is available outside the US. I have heard that buyer must beware of pre-paid Visa cards because there are hidden fees. But the mall giftcard looks like a good option as its fees overall are less than the cost of other Worldpay options. And it may be easier then coaxing parents to pay with their credit/debit card because kids can pay for the amount in the giftcard-- even better if they pay the fee.

As Jagex grows, I would not be surprised if they offer gift cards somewhere in the future, much like the ones offered for World of Warcraft and some other MMORPGs.

If you think $5 is a lot, its rather sad.

To be honest, when you said this I was rather insulted, I am not exactly a wealthy person and to me ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã5.00 seems rather a lot when it is compared to my monthly income. In comparison to your income it may seem like nothing. As I enjoy playing this game, I am rather dissapointed that the price makes it almost impossible for me to stay a member and if you find the fact that ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã5.00 to me is quite expensive 'rather sad' then please do not voice your insulting opinions on a topic that I created out of interest.

In a rather bemused situation,

Scotty +lordspyx+

Consider this an opinion and a tip. If you honestly cant afford or think that 5 a month is to much, then may I suggest finding a new job.

99 Fishing/Cooking - Both Achieved in Rs1

99 Attack, Defense, Strength, Range, Hitpoints, Fletching

Most mmorpg's are updated once or twice a month if your lucky. WoW goes something like 2 or 3 months between updates from what I have been told

Not only that their membership fees are way higher. WoW is something like ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã15 a month atleast

and as for your facts get them straight it is

$5 or ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã3.20

whihc is ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã38.40 or $60 a month

where as all other mmorpgs tot up a total or around ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã150+ or $300+ a year for membership

If you think runescape is too expensive you are living in a fantasy world of ur own or are a mjaor cheap skate. I mean in uk msot easter eggs cost doulbe - triple what 1 rs membership month does

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Its ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã3.20 for English people a month, not ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã5.

It's $5

Oh my word, why don't you people read?

it's 5 pound if you pay by SMS, like i've said several times so far, why don't you get your facts straight

Jesus wept...

never knew tht. Didn't read whole thread so I missed it, but still ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã5 is not tht much

plus if its more for pay by sms why would anybody bother using tht method

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

As most people have said... it's not too much. I guess it can add up, but compared to other online games its pretty cheap. A steal even. Well, maybe not a steal. But it's cheap.

And I never knew it was more by SMS... hm.

wtf ur saying 5 dollars is too much?! i pay 12 dollars!

JfvHV.png

798M9.png

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

My new site. [bETA]

In Estonia where i live it costs me about 70-80 Kr (Krone). I use a service called U-card; it let's me create a virtual Visa card in my Netbank form what i can pay.(It useable for 2 p2p payments, then it expires {40 days} ) Underage as i am, i only get paid minimum 16 kr per hour. So five hours of work and i got the money... A new console game costs about 300 kr and usually i enjoy one for few days, so i see no point buying a console game instead. One UK pound costs ~24 kr so 5 ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã is big bucks for me :P The value of cash is diffrent in countries. For someone in USA it's worth a bag of chips, but someone else can buy a pair of jeans for that.

PS! Sorry if i spelled something wrong :lol:

~~~~S11m~~~~

I don't pay for any PC game :wink:

S11m.gif
Elfs creating a crystal Axe would be like GreenPeace creating a Nuclear Powered Harpoon for killing seals...

Pay To Play

About a year ago I became a member. Being a member was enjoyable, with many quests added regularly, and new places to explore every time I played the game. But I stopped playing on a P2P basis because all the ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã5.00 were adding up. I had spent ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã40. I could have bought a game for that, and I would never have had to pay again (such as Guildwars). I decided to stop paying to be a member. So anyway, I began to debate the price of membership and I think that firstly, there should be a 'One Month Free Trial' and secondly, a 'Life-Long One-Off Payment' of about ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã30-ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã40. What does everybody else think? Maybe we could e-mail the Runescape Moderators or set up a petition if a few agree with my idea. Please tell me your opinions!

Scotty +lordspyx+

quit complaining and get a job, 5 quid a month is nothin compared to the content to recieve each week through updates :lol:

Hitman247m.png

never knew tht. Didn't read whole thread so I missed it, but still ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã5 is not tht much

because our parents don't have credit cards, or we don't want them to know we're getting members, so we use our phones...

Thus we pay by SMS, but get charged more

maxsig28nv.gif

because our parents don't have credit cards, or we don't want them to know we're getting members, so we use our phones...

Thus we pay by SMS, but get charged more

very good point never thought of that, apologies. anyway just clean the car twice lol :P

| from a to b - f2p/p2p staker | Private chat - Currently on | click here to view my blog

sigiw1.jpg

lol00bf5.png

Maybe because they have no other method. Wow, the intellectual capacity of this thread has really shocked me. Some of you have show utter ignorance in this thread.

I sympathise with Kall because he has to top up his phone every month for membership and he might have to top it up now and then anyway for calling credit. It is an inconvenience, but it probably costs more for Jagex to have that service than having Worldpay, hence the higher price. I can't see them deliberately victimising SMS payers.

I guess you could start using the home phone for all your calls now :P When the parents complain, say it's either this or ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâãX a month for RS :D

wait! rs costs 'bout 4 euros a month. compare that to wow wich costs how much? about 12 euros a month? BUT in wow you can make as much characters as you want with one account. in rs you pay per account. considering that many people, who play for some time pay for two accounts. rs isn't that cheap.