What are you listening to right now!?

xenogold

Muse's new album is amazing.

I just downloaded it but haven't listened to it yet. They're prob my favorite band after Dream Theater. Though I get kind of annoyed when they constantly sing about being oppressed since they're three rich, good-looking rock stars. The album description is sort of discouraging: "From the retro-futuristic cover art by Stranger Things poster designer Kyle Lambert to lyrical themes of oppression..."

I've always felt like the type of music I listen to partially affects how I view the world and how I think, feel, and behave. So when they sing about being oppressed, I have to work hard to either tune it out and ignore the lyrics or reframe them such that the oppressor isn't some external force or group of people (like the band wants you to think), and rather the oppressor is just some sort of conflict I'm working on overcoming in my own life-- whether it be my fear of doing something outside of my comfort zone, or the laziness to not pursue my long-term goals and instead pursue instant gratification

Unnatural Selection was probably my favorite song for almost 2 years, from 2014-2016, I'd listen to it almost every time I'd go to the gym since the music was very motivating... which is ironic since the song is essentially trying to argue that you have no free will, and any success you attain is mostly a result of luck.

Matthew Bellamy said, "This song is influenced by the book 'Black Swan' which is basically a whinge about how we live in a 'winner takes all' world i.e. those who do well take more and more and the losers have to settle for less and less. Amongst other things, the song is saying 'If you can't beat them, then join them.'"[7] On My Taratata, a French TV program Matt said, "The song Unnatural Selection is about luck, and how much luck has a big impact on people's lives, depending on where you're born, where you are." http://www.musewiki.org/Unnatural_Selection_(song)

Yet, there I was at the gym, essentially swimming against the currents of fate and my shitty genetics by constantly pushing myself harder. I benched 210 lbs for the first time when I weighed 125 lbs listening to that song lol. Meanwhile there's guys sitting on the benches next to me who weigh at least 50 lbs more than me, benching less than me, because they don't train as hard or as consistently as I do. If I believed in the lyrics of the song, I would've been average and weak like they were-- and that sounds lame af

• Like 1

77yLQy8.png

Right, so, I bought into the Daughters hype finally after Fantano gave it a 10, and I have to agree it didn't live up to the hype, which was a shame. Still a good album, and I'll come back to it and their catalogue a bit I reckon, but yeah.

And I just downloaded Muse's new album too. They were one of the first bands I ever got into, just before they released Resistance. So I get nostalgic and love everything pre-Resistance. Resistance was very hit and miss for me, and my mates really hated it, and seeing as I was 15 and just becoming mates with them, that meant I hated it too. I come back to it now, though, and while it's not as good as Absolution or Origin (My two faves of the faves), it's still pretty good. 2nd Law was pretty forgettable, and I defended Drones against those same mates, who still don't like Muse because of Resistance. If they got rid of the interlude tracks and trimmed Drones down, it would have been fantastic.

Coming in to the end of the year, It's nearly time to pick my AOTY. I feel like JBT have been making quite the push for that honour.

Youtube HD Video - This video will cause high CPU usage, to view the video in a lower quality, please click

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

I see Muse's lyrics as a rallying point to fight oppression.

Off the top of my head: Take a Bow, Assassin, Knights of Cydonia, Butterflies and Hurricanes...

When I want to be in "[bleep]-everyone-who-hurt-me-I'll-show-you-up-magnificently"-mode I listen to Godspeed You! Black Emperor, though.

ozXHe7P.png

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna be one of my picks for song of the year, I think. Straight banger of a track. Album pretty solid, but I don't see myself coming back to much else of it, besides The Chase and Mansa Musa.

#rpgformod

WHOA THIS THREAD WORKS AGAIN

And yeah I was super disappointed by the new Paak album not gonna lie. I loved the direction he was going on Bubblin but the new album just all blended together. It was fine and inoffensive but idk just felt like I was listening to off-brand bruno mars or something

on the other hand the new Earl album is [bleep]ing amazing and I can't stop listening to it, probably have listened to it at least 6 times yesterday already. The production all over this thing is incredible, super spaced out and abstract and all over the place as Earl's flows are in top form as he breaks down his depression over the last few years and the loss of his father. It's crazy how much substance he packs into 25 minutes on this thing and it's so out there that it took a while to grow on me but now I'm obsessed.

Also for something a bit more straightforward the new JID is pretty wild too, he finally leveled up his production to match how crazy his flows are and it makes SUCH a huge difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah. Confidence Man is still AOTY, with a very close runner-up in John Butler Trio. On that note, wow, my top three albums this year (Jack Ladder probably third) are all Aussie acts. Yay us!

It's been pretty quiet on the music front for me recently, but I recently realised that Flock of Seagulls did another absolute banger back in the day.

#rpgformod

Complete surprise, yet epic song.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

What a wild music video. It was honestly hard to pay attention to the song with all that crazy shit

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Two artists I used to really enjoy, but all but forgotten about, and they come back with this. I think I like it better with the video, 'cause I don't go much on the song.

I do, however, go much on this song and video.

#rpgformod

Oh yeah Failure released new music. I haven't really been a fan of anything they've released since they came back. But good for them

What song does this remind me of? I can't put my finger on it

10 years ago I was super into the whole "edgy bands cover pop songs" thing but now...now I can see why people thought I was wacky 10 years ago.

Have you heard this disgrace? Apologies for bringing it to your lives if you haven't

...and DGD is like my favorite band

I honestly can't think of a worse cover than Disturbed's Sound of Silence. I already don't like the song all that much, and Disturbed do not do slow and sad well at all.

My boys Dog Fashion Disco are at it again. Vertigo Motel was one of the first tracks of theirs that I fell in love with. My sister got a whole bunch of random songs from one of our cousins like ten years ago and thought I might like them. Turned out I loved them and so I spiraled into a downloading spree of Dog Fashion Disco and any related bands. I worked out that they're re-recording all their old stuff that they did on their old label so it's theirs again. After this one, there are two more, and they're two of the best. Getting really, really excited for the Adultery re-record, definitely their best album.

#rpgformod

who even still listens to this town needs guns

also the lyrics:

What’s this?

Don’t bother listing your dependancies.

We already know that you’ve got them.

when you npm install but forget the --save

Dude I love that album! I got to see the original line up play it in its entirety a few months ago, it was sick

It's such a sick album. I'm so jealous that you got to see them, they didn't come anywhere near here. I think they played at the Masquerade in Atlanta, which is where I saw Failure a few years ago. Not gonna make that drive again lol.

La Dispute came here a couple weeks ago though and it was amazing

I haven't seen La Dispute in about a year or so, they usually come in the Spring for me. My buddy picked up the reissue of the Somewhere album, it sounds great still