Horseback Riding (completely worked out) [EDITED]

OMG horsies again? when do you people...

WAIT!

This is different then your usual "what about horses" posts, read on and see what you think.

A quest or minigame to start it off

Much like Runecrafting, Agility and Herblore, Horseback Riding will require you to do a lot of trial and error work before reaching the appropriate level (in this case, level 5) at which you can use your a horse for the first time.

A minigame at a ranch where you specificly train your Horseback Riding skill.

New ways of transportation

This will work similar to the way the Canoes do. At a certain level you can "hop" from city to city, or even longer distances with higher levels.

Here is a list of "hops" with each location:

Varrock (south east of the western anvil, the abandoned building) -

Barbarian Village (north of the pub) -

Falador (west of the northern exit) -

Port Sarim (Old Farm, west of its south exit) -

Draynor (west of the jail, at the fence) -

Lumbridge (east of the "?"-man by the rivier) -

back to Varrock

One could also go from Draynor to Barbarian Village, and from Falador to -

Burthorpe (Heroes Guild, north of the entrance)

It would not confine to Asgarnia and Misthalin alone, with another Horsetrail stretched out across Khandarin:

Catherby (behind the farm shop) -

Seers Village (south of the pub) -

Ardougne-north (across the street of the wheat field) -

Port Khazard/Figth Arena (against the wall across the street of the Port) -

Yanille (the watering hole next to the pub) -

Castlewars (just outside)

You can also go from Seers to Rellekka (Just outside the main hall) but that requires 2 steps. And from there to the Mountain Camp (just short of where the rocky ground begins).

But thats not all. How about Camels? Here's their trail:

Al Kharid (the oasis just at the tollgate) -

Shantay Pass -

Pollnivneach (by the river) -

Sophanem (just inside, by the river) -

Bedabin Camp (at the watering hole) -

back to Shantay Pass

Sophanem to Bedabin Camp requires double the normal steps (much liek Seers to Rellekka).

One could also go from Sophanem to Nardah (just outside, at the general store) and then to Pollinivneach.

There is also a route straight across the desert

Here is the list of levels correlating to animals you can ride and how many steps at a time;

Level 5 - Horse, 1 step

Level 15 - Horse, 2 steps

Level 16 - Camel, 1 step

Level 25 - Horse, 3 steps

Level 30 - Camel, 2 steps

Level 35 - Horse, 4 steps

Level 45 - Horse, 5 steps

Level 50 - Camel, 3 steps

Level 55 - Horse, 6 steps

Level 65 - Horse, 7 steps

Here is a very unclear map showing the various trails and hubs.

rsmaphorsies8ef.th.jpg

Every step will get you 100 XP on a horse and 150 on a camel, but you must bring a bucket of water and a bucket of horsefeed with you for every step (sold at a select few hubs).

You can only own 1 horse per trail, and 1 camel per trail (so 3 transport animals at most) and they will be only there where you left them. So if you leave your camel at Al Kharid, you cant pick it up again at Pollinivneach.

You have to train your own horse again if you do not get it tended to (much like you pay gardeners to look after your crops), and it dies.

I'm currently pondering the possibility of Elephant trails from Karamja village, to Brimhaven, to Tai Bwo Wannai, to just outside the entrance of Shilo Village.

I hope that makes the transportation part clear :) Moving on to the next part:

A new wilderness-only combat skill

Not only would horses be used for transport, but you can actually RIDE and FIGHT with them.

I have yet to work out this part yet, but imagine being a Knight on a white horse with full runite barding and a dragon lance, or perhaps an ultra light very vast scout cavalry, or one of the ancient mongolian mangudai horse archers.

One could only mount their (Light/Medium/Heavy/War)horse (your 4th animal) at the stables in Edgeville and Varrock and ride to the Wild from there.

EDIT July 5th:

Well i've thought of the combat addition:

Basicly you can only ride your horse into wildy (there are stables at edgeville and varrock)

And the armor and weapons you can use are the same as the ones you can use normally.

So at level 50 Horseback Riding, you could wield an MSB on your horse.

Or at level 10 you can wear black armor and weapons.

Horses do not react well to special effects :P so no maging from horsies :)

When fighting normally, you would get 4 xp to the skill youre using (attack, defense, range, strength) and 1,333 to hitpoints.

Now when fighting on a horse, 1,5 xp would go to your combat skill, and 2.5xp to your Horseback Riding, and 1,333 to hitpoints.

Spears and Halberds have a chance to do double damage to horses and their rider.

When on a horse, you can equip a lance. It has the same range as a halberd.

The horse itself does damage too. As long as you are moving, it will deal damage every second to anyone in your path who is not on a horse. The speed with which you recieve the damage is equal to being in Lumbridge Swamp caves without a lightsource.

There would be 5 different types of combat compatible horses, each with their own quality.

Scout: Damage done is 0 (no damage), cannot wear armor, only weapons, makes you weigh 25kg less (like boots of ligthness), no barding available for Scout Cavalries.

Light: Damage done is 1, can wear armor and barding up to and including lvl 10 stuff (Black armor). Makes you weigh 10kg less.

Medium: Damage done is 1, can wear up to lvl 40 armor and barding, does not reduce your weight.

Heavy: Damage done is 1, can wear up to lvl 60 armor and barding, does not reduce your weight

War: Damage done is 2, can wear all armor and all barding, does not reduce your weight.

With horses you cannot open gates. You can go through open gates, but not open them yourself. You can also not go down ladders.

If you DIE on your horse in the wild, it will be saved like any other expensive item. Only it will not be in your inventory, but back at the stable (Edgeville and Varrock). If you DO NOT SAVE your horse, it has a 50% chance of being a drop for your opponent, and a 50% chance to disapear (runs off to greener pastures, or got killed)

P.O.H. ADDON:

At a certain level of Construction (65?) you can build a Stable. The stable grants unlimited food and water for your horse which you can take out of your house, and here you do not need to feed your horse. The horse you keep here is the one you can pick up at Varrock or Edgeville to go into the wilderness.

Hotspots:

Feeding trough (required for horse to be installed, grants limitless horsefeed)

Haybale

Water pump (required for horse to be installed, grants limitless water)

Barding stand (storage place for horse armor, saves bankspace)

Advantage: you do not need to pay a stable boy (at varrock and Edgeville) anymore for caring for your horse, and you no longer need to buy horse-feed and other items to keep your horse accomodated during the trips.

Also, here you can INTERACT with your horse (omg horse-whipserer?), pet him, and stuff like that.

So, we have a Transport section, a POH section, and a War section.

It is wise to read the entire article again.

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say it now, I just don't want horses in the game. I think it's a novelty idea which just isn't needed.

However, saying that, your post was brilliant. You've presented a logical plan, with a nice idea about a quest or mini-quest etc to get started. You've detailed how the feature would work extensively and have used many examples, such as the city to city 'hop' and the map diagram you've made. All the ideas seem to be feasible and pass the 'so what?' test. To put it in another way, if every suggestion on this board was made in the way you put yours, it would be the best board on the forums :)

Brilliant work. Hate the idea, love the presentation. Salesman qualities FTW :P

I spose thats a compliment :P

Thanks anyways...

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Well thought and laid out.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Jagex once said on their own forums that ridable horses wont be introduced...

sig5235ro7.jpg

Well thought out. Better than others who just say "I want pony!!11"

Might be a good transport.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

delete this post

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

I dont think it should be a whole new skill, just an extension of agility maybe

i agree :), i never thoguth i'd agree to horses :P

I say its time for some stat resets... who's with me!

Stat reset? :uhh: Noooooooo! *Grabs levels and hugs them* MIIINE! MIIINE! :ohnoes:

mmmm...... lol :p

Woow, Jagex made a typo, let's hate them now.

Even though youve worked it out a bit more...Its basicly the same every CAPSLOCKSTUCKUSER's and horsesrkewl users have been saying all the time, your just taking the time to explain it to others :)

It just sounds another waste of time for jagex, its a good start where youre at but it needs to have a lot of work done before I can support your idea :)

mabie you could set it up so if you wanted to go off route, say to gnome stronghlod or somthing the horse would be like an extention of your run ability, allowing the horse to walk canre or gallop, allowing you to go about 10-25% faster and rune about two times as long

This is actually a good idea, but:

- Make them unicorns (no need for 2 different horse-things in came)

- It would just be an add to agility

- Uhh.. Hello :)

Add those and I'll maybe support.

6,521th to 99 woodcutting | Fletching 98/99 |

Idarodo | Combat 90 | Total 1565+ | 38m+ total exp

Retired.

wow I always thought horses was an extremely stupid idea but you hooked me at use them in the wild!! :P

That would be so cool I mean seriously that would make clan wars and pking trips so much fun!

But heres the thing I thought of maybe instead of a full blown skill like others said a branch off of agility or somthing, and like how you get a cat from doing that gertrude quest you could do a quest and raise a horse and sell them to others who have done this quest. they would have to be pricy though I'm thinking a scout horse (fast not very strong) maybe 100k a knights horse (even in both slightly fast slightly strong good mix) 150k and a full blown war horse with armour and everything( super strong and stuff kind of slower than the others) 200K!

Join the petition for a new bank page layout! -This is the best thing since sliced bread!!

well thought out, but i think making a skill like this would be very pointless, you could so little things with it, even with an add on, this would be limitted in uses.

well thought out, but i think making a skill like this would be very pointless, you could so little things with it, even with an add on, this would be limitted in uses.

as opposed to firemaking?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

Its a nice idea, but it will probably end up being unused bandwith like canoes :S

canoes arent pointless i use one to always get to edgeville

the idea seems really good what about canifis though, ghostly horses of some kind...

as opposed to firemaking?

Nope firemaking has little use also, but it is only 1 skill, and old one and it would be pointless to remove it, nobody minds it being there so. If you would make several skills so easily divided such as harpoonfishing and cagefishing as 2 seperate skills when they could be added together as 1 (Current fishing) when firemaking on the otherhand cant be added anywhere else, correct?

Its a nice idea, but it will probably end up being unused bandwith like canoes :S

the idea seems really good what about canifis though, ghostly horses of some kind...

Morytania has little places of interest (3 now, canifis, port phasmatys, and mor'ton/burgh)... But its prone to expansion (obviously)

Maybe then the time is ripe for wargs (or creatures much alike)?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

Morytania has little places of interest (3 now, canifis, port phasmatys, and mor'ton/burgh)... But its prone to expansion (obviously)

Maybe then the time is ripe for wargs (or creatures much alike)?

Ok, now this is really going a little too far. Your original idea was indeed well thought out, but it just isn't going to happen. There will be no ridable horses in runescape, it is the first item on the DO NOT SUGGEST list on the official forums. As has been said, it is just a novelty idea, and it would be better to spend time on other updates.

runemsanta,ishepp.gif

89/99 farming

its sugested to many times b4...

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

i like this alot cuz its fer P2P and F2P

question tho..wher can i buy these horses? how much will these horses be? is ther like a rare horse, example, the Saradom[ i think i spelled wrong] war horse? and if ther is plz answer bak lol i woud like to know :D

\:D/ Ray::P2P::::Roaming Around::::Phat me pl0x?::::Beamster:: \:D/

reduccionoy9.jpg