May 16th 2006 - Game Engine Updated!

Arcticrunite

oday finally sees the launch of our latest game engine upgrade.

This is the biggest upgrade to the underlying engine which runs the game since we launched the new 3D engine two years ago, and I've been working on it for literally months. However this time the changes are more under the hood, which means (if everything goes to plan) you shouldn't actually notice a huge amount of difference!

The game engine upgrades this time are focused on allowing us to make the game bigger and on providing support for all sorts of features we want to do in future updates. These are the sort of changes that you won't see immediately, but do allow us to do all sorts of things in the future which we've been dying to do, but couldn't previously.

However there will still be quite a few improvements that you will see immediately, such as:

# The first time you load the new engine it will take slightly longer than normal to load as it imports all the data from the old engine. However it only ever has to do that once, and from then on you can look forward to much faster loading times and much faster update times.

# Greatly reduced memory use.

# Vastly improved sound compatibility, including sound support in Firefox.

# Better sound engine which can play more sounds at once.

# Improved chat filter. Again this is a whole new technology and we might need to tweak it a bit so please be patient with it, but it should in the long run give less false positives whilst still protecting the chat.

# Far better anti-macro technology.

# Better compatibility with dual CPU computers.

# Better compatibility with firewalls.

# Better language support, with support for accented characters in chat, etc.

# But of course it mainly consists of underlying changes to let us do more exciting stuff in upcoming updates...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They got sound in low detail :!: :!:

Nice update!

start up music is kind of annoying, and i hope they didnt add in things to low detail that high detail has, like roofs of houses, u cant see in them on high, at least not WELL...which is always been a problem when i play castle wars on high detail with ancient magic( i love the sound )but i alway find my self chasin some1 with our flag down thru our castle, not being able to get a 100% direct view of him and dust devils... wow thatd be weird.

LOL after the update.. Re-load rune... it goes so quick....... lol it made me feel like my whole computer is going faster ......

Howdydee2003:

99 Attack - 99 Strength - 99 Hits - 99 Magic - 99 Smithing

First To get 99 Smithing With GoldSmithing Guants

Zx7r Ninja (Currently Training) Updated 2/14/09: Ags Achieved on 2/15/09

75/75 Attack 89/99 Strength 50/50 Def 78/85 Hits

***Owned a Bandos Godsword since 59 Combat***

I can definitly see a change, loading times are *slightly* better, btw I can still say "omg".

tried omg? fg is censored

I'm not going to try "omg" with a fg in a crowded area lol. Might get reported for it. :oops:

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

Nice with the language support, as i now finally can talk in danish with my friends :D

Tried out to make an account with danish letters but it wouldt accept "drÃÆÃâÃâæber" and just suggested Dr Ber34 :cry: :cry:

06maj300002137ga.png

There is 10 kinds of people. Those who understands binary numbers and those who dont!