What is your opinion on active euthanasia?

Zippi08

We have to do a five minute long speech on a topic in Swedish class, and we have to argue if we are for and against it. I chose to talk about active euthanasia. I personally am for euthanasia, and think it should be legalized, and here are some of my arguments.

1. We have different rights in life, and I'm pretty sure everyone will agree we should have a right to control our own life. Then we should also have a right to control our own death. So if you get sick and there is absolutely no cure, I think you have all the right in the world to die an earlier death to not have to suffer.

2. Who wants to suffer? Everything we've invented on earth makes life easier for us somehow, makes us suffer less, like for instance medicine.

Wanting to escape the suffering is only human.

I have more arguments for euthanasia, but I won't write them all here. I wanna know what your opinions on active euthanasia is.

zippil6wp.png

Thanks for the sig, Runesmithie :)

RIP Steve Irwin

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends from case to case, but a few points I go by:

1) Euthenesia should only be allowed when the patient is suffering pain without hope for relief and is unable to recover and live their life in a dignified manner.

2) The doctor that's responsible for the patient should get at least one second opinion from a colleague on whether or not euthenesia is justified for this particular person.

3) If the patient decides that they want euthenesia, they should have at least one meeting with a professional counselor to make sure that the patient in question realizes the full scope of the decision he has made. The counselor should also talk to the patient's family if they want to, to help them cope.

4) If the person can't decide for themselves and has left no instructions beforehand, then their direct family (parents, spouse, siblings, children) may make the decision, but the request to euthenise the patient should not become official until a majority of the relatives has agreed on it. The family should also talk with the counselor.

If these conditions are met, I believe that active euthenesia should be allowed. It gives the patient a chance to die a dignified death, yet still allows them to follow the rules of their religion or personal morality. It prevents people from making rushed decisions, yet doesn't restrict them too much.

I think that the sickening religious right who campaign against euthanasia would sharply change their tune if it was them who was suffering.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

There's a difference between suicide and euthenesia though. People who equate the two are very shortsighted in my opinion. Suicide is a quick way out for people who think they have nothing left to live for. Euthenesia is a way for people who are already going to die, usually in a slow and painful way, to die in dignity without their loved ones having to see them suffer.

There's a difference between suicide and euthenesia though. People who equate the two are very shortsighted in my opinion. Suicide is a quick way out for people who think they have nothing left to live for. Euthenesia is a way for people who are already going to die, usually in a slow and painful way, to die in dignity without their loved ones having to see them suffer.

they both involve ending your life. everyone is going to die eventually, and usually suffer at one point or another before then. just because the people who "think they have nothing to live for" dont have any medical or health problems doesnt mean they arent suffering. everyone, regardless of health, should have the right to end their life when they please.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

yep, for euthenesia. if someone doesnt feel like living anymore, its not our right to tell that person that they have to live. suicide is completely their choice.

suicide is also the cowards way out of life, and is completly selfish

I think that the sickening religious right who campaign against euthanasia would sharply change their tune if it was them who was suffering.

I think that the sickening liberal leftists who campaign for abortion would sharply change their tune if it was them in the womb about to be killed.

Now, about euthenasia. I define euthenasia as being mercy killing for those who are terminally ill. I carry the, what I believe to be, Scriptural view that euthenasia is wrong for several reasons.

1. Your body is not your own. It has been purchased by Christ and should be respected as such.

19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

2. Everyone has purpose and giftings, at all times in all circumstances. Just because you are a terminally-ill patient doesn't mean you have nothing to contribute.

You can give hope to others, tell of your experience, give back to the community. You can still make a difference. And, besides, it means much more when you realize death is coming and you still think of others.

37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

3. We're all going to die. You may have an idea of when you're going to die, but that doesn't mean we're still on that same path. As much as we don't like thinking about it, we're all going to die. There's no way we can get around it. Some will die when they're 5, some at the age of 12, some at the age of 17, and others at the age of 88. We may hope we don't die that early, but no one besides God really knows. They may just have a better idea of the time.

Basically, I liken it to a movie line I once saw:

Medical Assistant:"Here, doctor. He's terminally ill."

Doctor:"Well, is he alive or dead? Because if he's dead, then we need to contact the morgue. If he's not dead, then he's alive. Our patients are not terminally ill. They are either alive or dead. If you ever mention the term 'terminally ill' then I will see that becomes your career!"

I'm currently transitioning from a Wizard to a Mage and a Priest to an Archpriest. Lol both are nonexistant in the top 25. Hopefully I can change that. :D

Yeah I agree.

Haha, even though I tend to lean more toward the right.

Ghost: I am prejudice towards ignorance, so that would explain why I appear to be so.

are you saying its easy to take your own life? im sure it takes a lot of courage to bring yourself to end your life. it may be selfish in some instances, in others it may not. dont see how that matters though, i dont think of selfish as being a negative word.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

The difference between me and you, Pianofrieak2, is that I have my own opinions - I am not told what to think by the church. Fortunately not every christian pontificates as much as you.

What zealots like you need to learn is how to feel some empathy. It's all very well to spout your tripe and quote bible verses til you're blue in the face when you are healthy and well but if you knew that you were going to spend the rest of your short life in agonising and unspeakable pain having to have people to help you go to the toilet whilst those you loved had to watch you suffer then the shoe would surely be on the other foot.

It just makes normal people see you as pompous and ignorant when you can't think of other people and how they might feel.

The difference between me and you, Pianofrieak2, is that I have my own opinions - I am not told what to think by the church. Fortunately not every christian pontificates as much as you.

You are told what to think by your emotions or your own personal ideals. I am told what to think by God.

And since when do I "pontificate"? It's not like I go bashing my views on others or tell anyone who disagrees with me that they're going to hell. I merely make my points based on Scripture.

I'm currently transitioning from a Wizard to a Mage and a Priest to an Archpriest. Lol both are nonexistant in the top 25. Hopefully I can change that. :D

Look, if you're going to take your moral values from a book that tells you it's ok to sell your daughter into slavery, that's your choice. However, you should allow people to make their own decision. We're not forcing anyone to euthenise their relatives, but we're giving them an option to die with dignety. You don't have to use that option if you don't want to, but you have no right to deprive others of the choice.

1. Your body is not your own. It has been purchased by Christ and should be respected as such.

19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

Looks like the temple has broken if one is in a coma

I am an atheist, I do not follow your religion that less than 20% of the world follows. I do not take my advice of life from a book that was writen between 4,000 and 2,000 years ago by countless authors and has been cencored by your church. I would hardly consider the Bible a moral code to follow. You have no right to bring your religion onto anyone else except yourself, not even your family.

Well ofcourse they dont know what it would be like watching themselves desinergrate in a coma state, or their family break down in depression after seeing them like that.

yep, for euthenesia. if someone doesnt feel like living anymore, its not our right to tell that person that they have to live. suicide is completely their choice.

To live a slow painful death is as painful to yourself as to your loved ones.

I have seen what happens to people who's bodies have failed them and have collasped. My grandma has diabeties, she is taking about 20 pills a day and sometimes she louses control of her bodly functions. In about 5 years she will likly be completly confined to her house and stuck in a wheelchair just watching tv for the rest of her life. I dont think she will make it to 65, she is 57.

I believe that euthanasia is wrong. Even if the doctors "say" there is no hope left it is wrong. My grandfather got really sick. The doctors said he was going to die the following day and it would be painful. My grandfather said no. Now 3 years later he is still alive learning how to walk again.

Your example is not particularly relevant. Euthanasia isn't where a doctor says you are going to die and then gets someone to kill you. It's where YOU want to die because living is too painful or degrading, it doesn't even necessarily involve being terminally ill.

are you saying its easy to take your own life? im sure it takes a lot of courage to bring yourself to end your life. it may be selfish in some instances, in others it may not. dont see how that matters though, i dont think of selfish as being a negative word.

suicide is just a way to get out of life, and bypass it straight to heaven, or whatever.

it takes more courage to live than to die.

if you choose to die, its cowardly because you dont want to, or cant deal with your own life. And you cant face it.

Look, if you're going to take your moral values from a book that tells you it's ok to sell your daughter into slavery, that's your choice.

Proof please?

However, you should allow people to make their own decision. We're not forcing anyone to euthenise their relatives, but we're giving them an option to die with dignety. You don't have to use that option if you don't want to, but you have no right to deprive others of the choice.

Let me use a radical example to show illogical reasoning.

1. I don't have a right to deprive others of euthenizing themselves.

2. If I don't want to, I don't have to.

Right so far? OK, let's use an example.

If you don't agree with murdering, then don't deprive my rights of being able to murder someone. If you don't want to, that's fine. You don't have to. But don't limit me.

See how your reasoning makes absolutely no sense?

And anesthesia said I was being "pompously dogmatic." I would just like to ask you to prove that to me. Thanks!

Well you were presenting dogma (a doctrine or a corpus of doctrines relating to matters such as morality and faith, set forth in an authoritative manner by a church) in a pompous manner (characterized by excessive self-esteem or exaggerated dignity; pretentious). As for proof, how can you prove it - it's an opinion. Consensus on the other hand...

Look, if you're going to take your moral values from a book that tells you it's ok to sell your daughter into slavery, that's your choice.

Proof please?

"When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11)"

"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21)"

Now I ask you for proof - prove to me that a guy bought my body a thousand years ago.

What have we learned? Asking for proof constantly doesn't make you right, in fact it makes you look stupid when you ask for proof of something which is clearly an opinion. You can't value proof too highly if you are as fanatic a christian as you clearly are.

Let me use a radical example to show illogical reasoning.

1. I don't have a right to deprive others of euthenizing themselves.

2. If I don't want to, I don't have to.

Right so far? OK, let's use an example.

If you don't agree with murdering, then don't deprive my rights of being able to murder someone. If you don't want to, that's fine. You don't have to. But don't limit me.

Your example is invalid. Read the words you used:

I don't have a right to deprive others of euthenizing (I assume you mean euthanising/euthanizing) THEMSELVES

If you don't agree with murdering, then don't deprive my rights of being able to murder someone.

Stopping someone killing themselves because they want to die compared to you taking someone else's life against their wishes. Invalid.

[Edit] What a coincidence, this post was #666.

Proof please?

21:7 And if a man shall sell his daughter to be a maid-servant, she shall not depart as the men-servants do.

21:8 If she shall not please her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed: to sell her to a strange nation he shall have no power, seeing he hath dealt deceitfully with her.

21:9 And if he hath betrothed her to his son, he shall deal with her after the manner of daughters.

21:10 If he shall take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage shall he not diminish.

21:11 And if he shall not perform these three to her, then shall she depart free without money.

sLINKy

http://bibledatabase.com/exec/online/webster/02_021.htm

This is an online bible liked from a Christian message board, it think that is acerate

Here is the same page with another online bible, very little diffrences.

http://webnet77.com/bibles/web/02_021.htm

Poll: How many Christians do you think have ever read the bible? Even just to the second chapter.

[Edit] What a coincidence, this post was #666.

LOL your about 50 posts too late because its 616 http://www.religionnewsblog.com/11134

suicide is just a way to get out of life, and bypass it straight to heaven, or whatever.

if you choose to die, its cowardly because you dont want to, or cant deal with your own life. And you cant face it.

eh, i dont agree, but i see where you are coming from.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I totally agree, people who commit suicide are people that don't want to solve the problems in their life and take the easy way out, with a pistol. Instead of seeing someone to help them, or actually taking the time to see whats wring they just try and push it all out of their mind, which never works and then, because of all the pent up feelings from not telling anyone they decide to take their own lives, to end it all.

I totally agree, people who commit suicide are people that don't want to solve the problems in their life and take the easy way out, with a pistol. Instead of seeing someone to help them, or actually taking the time to see whats wring they just try and push it all out of their mind, which never works and then, because of all the pent up feelings from not telling anyone they decide to take their own lives, to end it all.

This is not like suiside. People who kill themselves usualy have another option but they chose not to take them. A person with a terminal condition can not get help. Please, show me/us how a person in a comma is simular to a person who is about to jump because he owes someone a ton of money?