The Steel Dragon Guide (Outdated)

Yup, I agree on that it is a good guide, but it still could do with some more information.

SteelDragon.png

1) Antifire potions are there to prevent being hitted by the Dragon fire if you have the shield, we all know that. But now someone may think that "How come I don't need prayer, the dragons should come moving towards you"...

This information should be included: Metal Dragons work differently than the other dragons. It will hit you with melee ONLY when you stand within melee range. If you mage them from a few squares away they will only be attacking with their massive fireballs. Now that you have the shield and the antifire potions, the steel dragon will only hit 0's on you! Since they have a metal scale, is magic your best bet against them. A dose of the antifire potion will last for six minutes, so remember to drink immediately when you see the fire is taken damage on you (it only takes there at 4 hitpoints at a time so you shouldn't worry that much), eat if you feel you need it. Steel Dragons drop curry quite frequently though, so you might be able to get some more to eat.

I personally kill one steel dragon with approx. 60 fire bolts, and my dose lasts for approx. 100 fire bolts, so I am almost able to kill 2 Steel Dragons at one dose. I always bring one dose per 100 chaos, so if I bring 4000 chaos I will bring 40 doses, which means 10 antifire potions (4).

2) Steel Dragons are lvl-246!

3) I actually have one spot where I always stand. You can cover yourself very well from the Iron Dragons this way: When you enter the room with the Iron & Steel Dragons, FIRST DRINK A DOSE OF YOUR POTION!!!, run to west and south from there so that the western wall is on the right side of you. You're most likely to be hit by Iron Dragons, run through them, they should not do that much damage to you. You should soon see a lonely Steel Dragon there. Let the Steel Dragon attack you WITH FIRE, (if you're under attack by an Iron Dragon run south/north until the Iron Dragon is out of sight). When the Steel Dragon is attacking you, go to a spot found just in the western wall. I've made a small picture, I know it's a little indistinct but:

SteelCave.pngSteelCave2.png

When you see the spot, go in there and start maging the Steel Dragon. As you see, this is a spot where NO other dragon will distract you! When you have killed the Steel Dragon, there is no much walking, go there and pick up your drops, go back to the spot and wait for the Steel Dragon to spawn again (alternatively you can also mage the Steel Dragon to the east).

Please beware that this is for most people the most popular Steel Dragon. I've killed approx. 2000 Metal Dragons, and I'd say that over 1000 of these were this dragon I'm talking about. Also, 8 of the 9 Dragon legs/skirt drops I've gotten come from this dragon.

If you find another player in there fighting your dragon, there is a safe way to log out in this dangerous room. If you go into your spot you will find a large egg. On the right side of the egg there is one square. Go there and log out.

The Dragons WON'T see you if you hide there! (Unless you've run there during being attacked)

4) A Fire battlestaff is a much better way than Air Battlestaff. If you attack with Fire bolt while wearing Chaos Gauntlets (the way you should do) it only takes 3 air runes while it takes 4 fire runes. Chaos Gauntlets are a reward of the Family Crest Quest. With them, your max hit with Fire Bolt will be 15, while it normally is 12. Remember that they ONLY work on Bolt-spells (not strikes, blasts or waves).

--

Yes I also use Mystic Robes. They cost 200k which most people SHOULD afford, they give a decent magic bonus and therefore helps a lot. I've only died once there; It was when I looked at the forums leaving my character there alone. A Steel Dragon hit me with melee (CAUTION: Steel Dragons can hit 22+ with melee!!! - NOT 50 though!) and I died. That was my own fault. If you pay attention you'll find no worries in there!

not true part i bolded ive tried meleeing all the metals they will attack mostly with melee but also with fire and i believe max should be about 27 melee that is what a black dragons is if i remember correctly

tifsig3pw9.png

jese1mz7.png

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't mention it. It's for the chest in the castle. So you can get to the cave without wasting any money. I will add it in next update. Which will be later today.

LMAO if you can't afford 850 gp and have 72 theiving... :lol:

Yup, I agree on that it is a good guide, but it still could do with some more information.

SteelDragon.png

1) Antifire potions are there to prevent being hitted by the Dragon fire if you have the shield, we all know that. But now someone may think that "How come I don't need prayer, the dragons should come moving towards you"...

This information should be included: Metal Dragons work differently than the other dragons. It will hit you with melee ONLY when you stand within melee range. If you mage them from a few squares away they will only be attacking with their massive fireballs. Now that you have the shield and the antifire potions, the steel dragon will only hit 0's on you! Since they have a metal scale, is magic your best bet against them. A dose of the antifire potion will last for six minutes, so remember to drink immediately when you see the fire is taken damage on you (it only takes there at 4 hitpoints at a time so you shouldn't worry that much), eat if you feel you need it. Steel Dragons drop curry quite frequently though, so you might be able to get some more to eat.

I personally kill one steel dragon with approx. 60 fire bolts, and my dose lasts for approx. 100 fire bolts, so I am almost able to kill 2 Steel Dragons at one dose. I always bring one dose per 100 chaos, so if I bring 4000 chaos I will bring 40 doses, which means 10 antifire potions (4).

2) Steel Dragons are lvl-246!

3) I actually have one spot where I always stand. You can cover yourself very well from the Iron Dragons this way: When you enter the room with the Iron & Steel Dragons, FIRST DRINK A DOSE OF YOUR POTION!!!, run to west and south from there so that the western wall is on the right side of you. You're most likely to be hit by Iron Dragons, run through them, they should not do that much damage to you. You should soon see a lonely Steel Dragon there. Let the Steel Dragon attack you WITH FIRE, (if you're under attack by an Iron Dragon run south/north until the Iron Dragon is out of sight). When the Steel Dragon is attacking you, go to a spot found just in the western wall. I've made a small picture, I know it's a little indistinct but:

SteelCave.pngSteelCave2.png

When you see the spot, go in there and start maging the Steel Dragon. As you see, this is a spot where NO other dragon will distract you! When you have killed the Steel Dragon, there is no much walking, go there and pick up your drops, go back to the spot and wait for the Steel Dragon to spawn again (alternatively you can also mage the Steel Dragon to the east).

Please beware that this is for most people the most popular Steel Dragon. I've killed approx. 2000 Metal Dragons, and I'd say that over 1000 of these were this dragon I'm talking about. Also, 8 of the 9 Dragon legs/skirt drops I've gotten come from this dragon.

If you find another player in there fighting your dragon, there is a safe way to log out in this dangerous room. If you go into your spot you will find a large egg. On the right side of the egg there is one square. Go there and log out.

The Dragons WON'T see you if you hide there! (Unless you've run there during being attacked)

4) A Fire battlestaff is a much better way than Air Battlestaff. If you attack with Fire bolt while wearing Chaos Gauntlets (the way you should do) it only takes 3 air runes while it takes 4 fire runes. Chaos Gauntlets are a reward of the Family Crest Quest. With them, your max hit with Fire Bolt will be 15, while it normally is 12. Remember that they ONLY work on Bolt-spells (not strikes, blasts or waves).

--

Yes I also use Mystic Robes. They cost 200k which most people SHOULD afford, they give a decent magic bonus and therefore helps a lot. I've only died once there; It was when I looked at the forums leaving my character there alone. A Steel Dragon hit me with melee (CAUTION: Steel Dragons can hit 22+ with melee!!! - NOT 50 though!) and I died. That was my own fault. If you pay attention you'll find no worries in there!

not true part i bolded ive tried meleeing all the metals they will attack mostly with melee but also with fire and i believe max should be about 27 melee that is what a black dragons is if i remember correctly

How do you mean it is not true?

You said "I've tried meleeing all the metals they attack mostly with melee but also with fire".

If you melee them you DO stand within melee range 8-) - With melee range I mean that the dragon can hit you with melee WITHOUT having to move the body. Try to mage the dragons a few squares away, and you'll notice that what I said is true! :wink:

EDIT: I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean that they ONLY attack with melee, I meant that the only time they attack with melee is when you stand within melee range.

Dragon drops: 22 legs, 12 skirts, 1 med, 1 spear

Magic 99 achieved 8.8.07

Whoever implied you should bring mystic robes, you might as well bring your best mage top and bottom. If you protect the mystic when you die, you'd evidently protect the Ahrim's.

Also Blaziken, you should talk about the advantage of having a house on Karamja. The portal is literally a few steps away from the dungeon entrance! It's a great place to recharge prayer and bank, and all you need is 1 space for a teleport tablet to get there!

LMAO if you can't afford 850 gp and have 72 theiving... :lol:

Honestly, I don't see how that's funny. Not to mention to know of a certain stat advantage, you don't necessarilly need to have it (ie. I'm sure you knew about 70 agility into Taverly Dungeon before you had that stat). So perhaps make your next post constructive- instead of flaming, help him with your brilliant ideas to improve his guide.

BAH! sorry if that sounded flamish.. I'm trying to say that someone that has trained their theiving that high (I know I haven't) should be able to afford 850 gp, not to mention that it is not a requriement to have it. You can get plenty from the drops of the dragons on your previuos (sp?) trip O:)

BAH! sorry if that sounded flamish.. I'm trying to say that someone that has trained their theiving that high (I know I haven't) should be able to afford 850 gp, not to mention that it is not a requriement to have it. You can get plenty from the drops of the dragons on your previuos (sp?) trip O:)

That's why it's in recommanded list. Not the required list.

Cdub, I will do that. Thanks. BTW that guide was made before POH's, so I had no idea that would become possible.

I've added lvl40 recommand for construction recommanded but still said Ardougne is closer way to bank.

I've also added the reason of why lvl72 is recommanded. (read for more info)

I also edited the info about soul rune and said it is uncommon.

But I didn't edit the info about zamorak robe and change them into Mystic Robes. I still have to test it out myself. To make absolutley sure my guide isn't lying or scamming.

i just burned up 3k chaos runes down there and got a dragon skirt :D

I used mystic robes with farseer helmet, and had an air staff (finally found a use for all these fires from the good old dust devils) , used chaos i had left over from barrows runs (slayers dart is the best ;) )

and finally i had ring of life, i dont mind the 30 gp boat ride, i just brought 1k , for the boat ride and entrance fee, they drop money anyway so it didnt matter

magicaltrevorst2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Updates: (yep long time no updates)

Ring of life has been added.

I replaced magic with glory

15 swordfishes aren't neccessery, since it's waste of time

Also I can't recommand mystic robe unless I go there personally myself. On Monday I will TRY to get pictures. Please try to be patient. It could take a while to get pictures.

Whoever implied you should bring mystic robes, you might as well bring your best mage top and bottom. If you protect the mystic when you die, you'd evidently protect the Ahrim's.

Eh, I prefer to use Mystic myself, even if Ahrim's would be protected too. You litterally stay down there for hours, and since my luck stinks there (took 17k chaos to get just one left half) I'd rather have not have the repair costs eating into my Mage training funding :lol: . I'm too much of a profligate not to take that chance to save a little cash :lol: .

5/10 like other said, it's decent, but it's quite vague and the lack of pictures didn't help. If it had 5-10 pics I'd give it a 6.5, maybe 7/10, but in it's current state 5/10.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

what you mean with they're very strong and can hit you blablabla the max hit with fire is 5 if you got anti d shield and 0 with pots also ur maging them i have killed these lots of times and ive never been close to dieing only hard ones are black dragons.

and i rate it 3/10 because no pictures and scaring newbies :lol:

Give a man a lighter, and he will be warm for a while.

Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

What you said about them always being aggressive isn't true. You don't stay there long enough for them to become aggressive, but I have, and after the usual amount of time you can walk right into them without being attacked. About the soul runes, it's probably about a 1 in 20 chance of them dropping, which by any other standards would be very common, but it takes so long to kill a large number of steel dragons that they seem rare.

Another thing to add is that they drop addy (5) and rune (12) bolts along with the rune piece of the crossbow (can't remember name exactly).

Some suggestions to make it better though would be to post pics of your inventory before and even after a trip, best place to stand, best place to run to avoid the irons, and a map showing the way to the dragons would be helpful as well.

Not bad though :P

Nazgul.jpeg

What you said about them always being aggressive isn't true. You don't stay there long enough for them to become aggressive, but I have, and after the usual amount of time you can walk right into them without being attacked. About the soul runes, it's probably about a 1 in 20 chance of them dropping, which by any other standards would be very common, but it takes so long to kill a large number of steel dragons that they seem rare.

Another thing to add is that they drop addy (5) and rune (12) bolts along with the rune piece of the crossbow (can't remember name exactly).

Some suggestions to make it better though would be to post pics of your inventory before and even after a trip, best place to stand, best place to run to avoid the irons, and a map showing the way to the dragons would be helpful as well.

Not bad though :P

Uh, you have to prove it with video. As soon as you prove these drops I will add it not til then.

And people, please try to be patient. I have more things in mind than kililng steel dragons. So it will take some time to confirm that mystic thing, try to be patient.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a nice guide and it's wierd how techniques can differ on a simple task like maging steels. For yours, it's probably more efficient getting there and whatnot, but mine I just load up on anti's and stay there for hours. I hope you don't mind if I make a little suggestion to make the guide a more mainstream thing. I noticed in your Blog that you consider suggestions spam, but I'm ignoring that for this one... My suggestion is pictures. Maybe show one of your eqiupment for maging and one of your inventory when you leave a bank.

I'm also wondering if you've had much luck there? Last few trips I've made (about 20k chaos used) I've only got 2 Dlegs and a bunch of other stuff.

Oh, and one more thing. I can verify the 5 addy bolts and 12 rune bolts drops. I'm not going to get it on video because that is just asking for way too much for such an ineffectual thing as new drops. I'm just tossing this out there because I know it as a fact as do others, and only way you can prove it (other than actually taking peoples words for it) is to go on a trip. If you want to add me I'll be there the next couple days and maybe we could meet up and beat down a few.

Slack_Tide.png

What are you talking about? Of course I wouldn't be asking for spam? Why the hell would I wanna do that? I report it instead. And I don't always find the suggestions there spam. I answer nicely to them. I hope.

I know the guide needs pictures. Please try to be patient. Try to understand I can't be fighting steel dragons all the time. Mystic and pictures will be added eventually, please try to be patient. This guide isn't good without pictures, I will get them, try to be patient.

Wow, defensive. Bah lets forget about that. So, have you had much luck there? And I also remembered something while eating dinner about the auto-attacking monsters. When ever I fight aggressive monsters outside of the wilderness it usually takes about 50 kills or an hour or two and they stop auto-attacking for about 20 minutes and it starts over again.

I hope some of what I've said the past couple posts makes sense and can contribute a little to your guide. You may not have asked for help on this stuff, but CC is always good. And goodluck on getting the pictures and eveyrhting up too. It sure can be a hassle uploading and editing all those pics. :ohnoes:

Slack_Tide.png

actuallllyyy i think this waas a pretty good guide you know no one is perfect and for the time he spent on it i think it was good. I mean come on the only person that could do better would probably b god or somethin and i dont see him comin anytime soon and if he does u better get the hell off the earth... :wink:

join the saradomine's slayers today

-not allowed-

Buy uncuts. Cut them. Store in bank. Craft into amulets. Enchant amulets. Sell amulets. Rinse, and repeat.

actuallllyyy i think this waas a pretty good guide you know no one is perfect and for the time he spent on it i think it was good. I mean come on the only person that could do better would probably b god or somethin and i dont see him comin anytime soon and if he does u better get the hell off the earth... :wink:

This guide will be updated. You'll see.

If that was aimed towards me... :evil:

I know the guide will be complete in time. I just want to add to what he already has to do. :anxious: It's a little habit I have, maybe not the best, but atleast I have a little thing to keep me (and others...) busy. #-o

Slack_Tide.png