LimeWire sued by the RIAA

zeekyhbomb

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Metallica, Lars Ulrich. He was the only one that made a big stink about it.

I really wouldn't call it an era. It was more of a definitive time period during which dinstinctive characteristics were expressed in similar ways.

Svirnsigscore.gif

Finally......now all the people who wouldnt take my advice and use iTunes will pay :twisted:

Did you bother reading the topic? It is Limewire that is getting sued, not its users.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

It isn't whether they'll bother or not; they just can't. They have the list of IPs that were using it - not the logs of transfers that took place. Therefore they can't assert that any of the users were transferring RIAA music.

Believe me I see your point here, but in my case for nearly every artist that I might have downloaded music for, i will have bought a cd from. I would never have bought that cd if i hadn't been able to download and sample their music in the first place.

If downloading an album leads to the purchasing of an album then I see no problem with it.

I understand what you're saying here, but at the same time I disagree a little bit.

You don't have to have loads of money to make music. I have never seen a Ska band that cares about whether or not you buy their records. Reel Big Fish says numorous times at their concerts, "You can buy our CD and have a genuine copy, or you can just go download it or steal it from your friend!"

Tomas Kalnoky (lead singer for Streetlight Manifesto, ex-lead singer for Catch 22) says in an interview at the end of one of his CD's, "I don't care if a single record is sold, it's just something that we wanted to do."

It's not like you have to buy music to support music. It doesn't work like that. Music isn't about getting people to buy it, it's about making people happy.

I understand. My point was, if you really appreciated the artist, you'd support them financially. It's true that artists may not "care" if they don't sell recrods, but let's be honest here - they have to put food on the table.

summerpngwy6.jpg

The problem is that not everyone does buy an album after downloading though, especially if they don't like it. The RIAA likes the way CDs work because if you don't like the album it's already too late - you've bought the CD and they have your money. I think that the RIAA don't like you being able to suss out which bands you do and don't like before you buy the records. Primarily though they don't like the fact that not everyone will do this.

As for buying things you like - I'm all for it. Whilst it's true that I pirate most of the contents of my hard disk I'm eager to have what little money I do have (yes, VERY little because I have to eat too) go towards developing more good stuff. That's why I paid hard cash for Oblivion - I want to see more like it, I see it not as buying software (which in theory one could have pirated) but as an investment towards a future of even better software. The same goes for donations; I want wikipedia to keep going and improve so I donate.

Guest GhostRanger
Don't sue limewire, they have a no piracy policy. Sue the bad users.

I agree with that to a point. If you want to stop piracy, don't sue Lime Wire - shut them down.

For instance, if someone were to buy a gun and go kill someone, we wouldn't sue the place that sold the gun. But we might attempt to stop the sale of guns which would in turn, shut the gun store down. The gun store might have a "no shooting other people policy," but maybe we just don't want people to be able to buy guns. Maybe we don't want people to be able to fileshare like they can.

I agree with that to a point. If you want to stop piracy, don't sue Lime Wire - shut them down.

I haven't read any articles on this particular case, but if it's anything like the Grokster one that's what they're trying to do. Check it out on wikipedia for more info.

As for buying things you like - I'm all for it. Whilst it's true that I pirate most of the contents of my hard disk I'm eager to have what little money I do have (yes, VERY little because I have to eat too) go towards developing more good stuff. That's why I paid hard cash for Oblivion - I want to see more like it, I see it not as buying software (which in theory one could have pirated) but as an investment towards a future of even better software. The same goes for donations; I want wikipedia to keep going and improve so I donate.

I'm the same. I'll spend most of any cash I get on cd's when I go out with friends because I do want to support the artists. But I also want to collect and discover new music so I download some as well. I also borrow cds off friends.

Like I said earlier, if the RIAA really want to make a positive impact, team up with the providers and sell licenses to download music or something. I'm not a marketing expert but even I can see that this is a good opportunity to exploit the large file sharing market, not by sueing all the users to hell, but to do something else.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Hard to believe people now days, they're rich as [cabbage], yet they still sue people for sharing their matereal. Hows an extra 25 million going to change your life?

I've downloaded atleast 100gb of anime and alot of music in my life, if they stop me from doing this, its not like I'll start buying dvds and music, Ill just live without it...in a much more boring world.

Gah it seems I have given in to the RIAA's bluffs, but I'm not as disappointed in the alternatives to Limewire as I thought I would be. I switched to itunes today, I really like the way it is set up, and didn't know that it had all these extra features that Limewire does not. I love the free previews, they give me an idea of what I'm downloading which is great. I like downloading good quality music videos and entire albums at a time that I can't find in stores. Finally, the downloads are super fast.

Good bye Limewire, Hello Itunes \'

The problem is that not everyone does buy an album after downloading though, especially if they don't like it. The RIAA likes the way CDs work because if you don't like the album it's already too late - you've bought the CD and they have your money. I think that the RIAA don't like you being able to suss out which bands you do and don't like before you buy the records. Primarily though they don't like the fact that not everyone will do this.

You can try CD's in about every music store, and you can listen to previews on the better webshops. Then if you buy a record in a normal store and you find out that you don't like it after all you can still trade it for another CD.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

You can try CD's in about every music store, and you can listen to previews on the better webshops. Then if you buy a record in a normal store and you find out that you don't like it after all you can still trade it for another CD.
Damn, what a bargin. A lot of stores in Australia now have a VERY strict return policy on digital media (software and music). If it's open and it isn't faulty, they aren't taking it back (due to the obvious "most likely pirated" impression).

Even though you're trading one purcase for another, that's not the point... the chance that you've already ripped the cd (like it or not) means you're ending up with two cd's for the price of one.

Damn, what a bargin. A lot of stores in Australia now have a VERY strict return policy on digital media (software and music). If it's open and it isn't faulty, they aren't taking it back (due to the obvious "most likely pirated" impression).

Even though you're trading one purcase for another, that's not the point... the chance that you've already ripped the cd (like it or not) means you're ending up with two cd's for the price of one.

You can only trade it one time, it's not like you can keep doing it. :) Of course there are a lot of people who are taking advantage of it. But it's a service you can't deny the people, because there are a lot of honest people as well.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I have downloaded music in the past, but I would have never bought ANY of the albums that I downloaded. Imo, most people wouldn't have bought half of the music that has been downloaded. If I could only buy albums, I'd just borrow Cds from friends, I have not the money to buy all the CDs that I want.