Abbreviations you detest

GregEchidna

Hello. :)

RuneScape abbreviations. They drive me nuts. Is it laziness? Some call it 'slang.' Why must one type 'scimitar' as 'skimmy?' That's just... painful.

I'm a fan of the English language. I'm a fan of grammar in general, but that doesn't mean I'm opposed to every single abbreviation or way of typing. Usually as long as it's in good taste it won't bother me. I'll give a 'ttyl' every so often. I enjoy the whole 'pwn3d' thing to an extent.

Upon returning to RuneScape after a four year hiatus, it seems there are new abbreviations which have been created for the sole purpose of making me crazy. Not to mention the classic 'plz.' ;)

Phat - Phat? Why can't you just type party hat? 'Phat' isn't an abbreviation for party hat, it's a moronic word for 'cool' or 'neat.' When I see 'phat,' I think 'fat.' Not 'party hat.'

Buy/Sell - So it seems the new thing is to leave off the suffix of 'ing' when dealing in the market. Stop in at any bank and you will hear 'sel rune pl8 60k,' or perhaps 'buy blk baxe.' Rapture. When did leaving the 'ing' suffix off of buying/selling become acceptable? Do you know what it sounds like when somebody says 'sell lobsters?' It sounds like you're telling me to sell my lobsters. When you say 'buy flax,' you're not informing me that you're buying flax, you're commanding me to buy flax!

Ddsp++ - What is this? Hieroglyphics for dragon dagger? Upon returning to the game, it took me several weeks to figure out that 'selling dds' meant 'dragon daggers.' To me, DD always stood for the player DirtyDevil. :P

Those are some of the few abbreviations that really get on my nerves. Share some of yours! :D

-GregEchidna

Third player in RuneScape to 99 attack, strength, defense and hitpoints.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to log out for this one .. so it's going to be long:

I think it's dumb, but you have only so little space to chat. That's why I say "Selling T hamz..." so they can know what I'm selling. :| They understand it, I understand.

Phat: People say phat's because that's what everyone else says, same with a lot of other things. D long, eh? (not canadian) I'm sure you've said that before. D legs? Etc.

when I say 'lol' YES, I am laughing out loud? Maybe you don't... Some of us do <.< are YOU laughing out loud? No.

What really annoys me is when little stupid 10 year olds say "hei noob dontcha thik tht ur tooo noob fr ur lvl? hahahaa, noob" When they're 32.. -.-

whats 'tbh'?

yeah i admit it im a lazy typer, but i dont see the problem of shorthand when both parties understand it.

what really does annoy me though is leetspeak. It takes longer than normal typing, and its even harder to understand than shorthand...

its so nooby it hurts me....

oh well, whats tbh anyway?

supernovasigst7.jpg

Hello. :)

Ddsp++ - What is this? Hieroglyphics for dragon dagger? Upon returning to the game, it took me several weeks to figure out that 'selling dds' meant 'dragon daggers.' To me, DD always stood for the player DirtyDevil. :P

Umm... dude... dds does not mean dragon daggers... it means dragon dagger (s) (super poisoned...). Jagex released 2 new poisons bout 3 months ago...

On-topic: neb annoys me even more than noob...

Losers...

Are you blind or ignoring me on purpose?

Even though I sometimes side with religious people in some debates, I no longer consider myself religious.

"Tho" is extremely annoying to me for some reason...Especially if it's a tthe end of a sentence. I used to type like that when I started RS, but now I type normally...Hopefully everyone will someday.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.