Wierd IE website loading bug

Eeeeediot

http://www2.union.ic.ac.uk/osc/iraqi/

That is the website I designed for a university club last May, but now coming back to updating it a bit in the new autumn term, theres some wierd behaviour in IE. It might be just me from a designers point of view though?

Does clicking on ANY link in IE give you a 3 second delay before the new page is loaded? Compare with opening it up in Fx/Opera and seeing how it loads there. Or is it maybe just the rendering engine differences? I recall that it used to load just as quickly in IE when I designed the site earlier in the year.

Its really getting on my nerves as all the users will be IE (uni people using uni computers) and well, I'd really like to find the source of this problem and fix it. Any clever ideas?

EDIT - changed link.

Doesnt load at all for me :(

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I've got that 3 second delay you are talking about, but I have no idea what would be causing it. The code looks fine, FireFox renders it perfectly, the only thing I can think it may be would be server settings, but that's just a wild guess. :?

4 seconds to open/display main site.

5 seconds to open gallery link.

Windows 2000 & IE 6.0.2800.1106CO.

Using the works corporate connection too, so it's not limited here.

Opens a standard link in just under 2 seconds. So yeah, it is a bit on the slow side. :-s

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

Well just got to uni and the links seem to be opening fine in IE just like they did in Fx at home.

Uni computers are running IE 6.0.2900.2180.

Any other input from IE users? Last resort might be to try copying the site on to a different server and see how it runs there :?

Loads fine in FF, horrible lag in IE tho. I cant think what it might be tho :(

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I thought it might have something to do with how many requests each browser sends. I'm sure IE can only send something like 2 requests to the same server at the same time. Where-as Firefox can send a lot more.

Tested the theory with Firefox at work on another machine. I put Firefox down to 2 requests, although the speed did decrease quite a bit. It still wasn't anywhere near as slow as IE.

When I get home I'll set up a Virtual machine and try the site out with IE7 and maybe IE5.5.

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

got the 3-5 second lag between page on IE , and no lag on Firefox and opera here

As IE has a horrible time with error checking and the slightest little typo can through off a page , I'll add a few little quirks that i noticed , who knows they might be part of the problem

You have an extra end quote there after the file name

Although i dont quite understand why you are using @import to call it if it is defined on the line right above it

all line break tags

should actually be

since you are trying to adhere to the XHTML standard.

Will keep my eyes open , but thats all I really noticed at first glance

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

Your XHTML/CSS is not causing the delay. It is your PHP code or the web server. The website loads fine as a static page locally on my computer, but as soon as you do all the fancy includes etc with your PHP code it kills IE. I'd start by looking at your PHP code then perhaps some mega-omg-we-don't-like-IE settings in the web server.

Albosky, you probably get this from a lot of people, but:

I :3> you.

Turns out it was the extra end quote on the end of the @import, wierd or what?

http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/osc/iraqi/index.php

On the normal site, I totally removed the @import as the css file is already referred to as Albosky said. Don't know why its there and couldn't dig up the reason in the gallery documentation.

http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/osc/iraqi/index2.php

Here, the @import is still there but without the extra end quote and its working fine. This is just to show its not the @import that caused the lag, but rather the extra end quote which is demonstrated on the page below where I have not corrected it:

http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/osc/iraqi/index3.php

Like I said, it wasn't server stuff as I run another site thats works fine. And to be honest, I have no idea how that extra end quote got in there sometime over the past few months while the site has been running as it was fine before. Probably some dumb mistake by yours truly, always human error eh?

Thanks all, site is working like a beauty now :)

Just as a sidenote - sharper, why would it be there webhost / server if there is no problem loading the page in FF, but an added delay when opening it with IE. That makes no sense. Think about things before you point fingers.