Mythology Buffs, advice?

Faux

I have to do a short comparative essay (300-500 words only) on two myths from different cultures. The closest thing related to mythology that I've read within the last 5 years was the Odyssey.

In short, does anyone know two myths from different cultures (Roman, Norse, Greek, etc.) that can be contrasted and compared? Meaning they're similar themes; however, different beliefs, symbolism etc. because of their origin from different cultures. Maybe a creation story?

There was an indian one about a sun god... it's about three brothers who travel to the end of the world and capture the sun in a net. I can't remember what it's called but try googling Myths and Legends by Anthony Horowitz, that's a great book, I think it's got about 35 stories from China, India, American, Africa, South America, Britain and Japan.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough, but the stories I'm looking for are two myths from different cultures, but have a similar theme in a way.

And it would be much better if there are copies of these stories on the Net. I lost my library card a few years ago ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷_.

Ah, ok. I thought you meant just two random myths. Best bet is wikipedia.

Edit; Muhahaha.

Have a look at this page, you may be able to find something...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legends_and_myths

Norse, Finnish, and Chinese mythology are probably the most comprehensive ones you can find, and some parts even contain traces of truth (though the deity-descriptions *could* be taken with a grain of salt). An interesting subject though, that's the 3 I would suggest as they are very extensive and fascinating.

Relating to your second question, they all have their own creation stories too.

Do Psyche and Cupid. That's a very interesting story.

You can do the Iliad by Homer. It's about Achilles and the Trojan War.

You can do Beowulf...but I'm not sure if that classifies as a myth. It's an epic poem though. :?

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

I think that the Greeks and Romans share very common mythological ideas, seeing as the Romans STOLE from the Greeks. Try some stories about Zeus/Jupiter or Poseidon/Neptune, they're bound to be similar.

~Foolgool

x9whitey9x.jpg

The code in my sig should say 1032 not 0132.

Why not compare two different types of tragedy - the Greek and the biblical? Oedipus Rex and the story of Judas are great ones to compare and contrast.

You could do the story of Buddha and the story of Christ.

Or you could do the Odyssey and Pilgrim's Progress.

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

all mythologies ussualy blame women for the worlds proboblems. (Ussually written by men who are smart enough not to blame their own gender)

Norse... the main god's wife took a statue of him and used the gold in it to make a necklace... the main god didnt know, and abonded the area, not looking over them.

Roman/greek... Pandora opened the boxed that had contained all the evils in the world

Christian/catholic... Eve ate the apple, adam said "screw it" and ate one just because he knew they were gonna get kicked out of paradise anyways since she ate one.

1z2zrwo.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. My connection is around 36 kbps thanks to Sympatico's high speed :uhh:

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys. Some of those are very good ones. I'll try to research more into them tomorrow at school when there's a decent connection.

If it's not too late, you could do it on Achilles and Siegfried (look up the Nibelungenlied).

Guest XplsvBam

theres a native-american (Iroquois Creation Myth) one. The world on the turtles back. Very good and very relevant to the fight of good vs. evil. I would highly recomend it, plus its a short story so thats always nice.

http://www.cs.williams.edu/~lindsey/myths/myths_12.html

Why not compare two different types of tragedy - the Greek and the biblical? Oedipus Rex and the story of Judas are great ones to compare and contrast.

Buddha and Christ were real not mythical. a centor for example is mythical..

theres a native-american (Iroquois Creation Myth) one. The world on the turtles back. Very good and very relevant to the fight of good vs. evil. I would highly recomend it, plus its a short story so thats always nice.

http://www.cs.williams.edu/~lindsey/myths/myths_12.html

True, it's pseudoscientific to argue Jesus or Buddha didn't exist, because they did, there is a huge amount of reliable evidence and first hand/contemporary accounts. I assume you also meant a centaur which is most obviously a mythical character.

On the other hand, the stories like walking on water or creating infinite food are myths until proven true, and thus far there is no video footage or photographs of any human capable of doing so.

All religions have some mythology attached to them, and many other holy scriptures describe how some supernatural people could perform incredible acts, that doesn't mean they actually happened either just because they were 'written'. Christianity is actually one of the few religions where a significant amount of followers take everything in their holy book for absolute truth.

(Compare to Buddhist cosmology for example, read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_c ... ala_worlds a lot of buddhists I talked to don't accept those ideas purely on faith)

A myth is a story. A myth may be physically true or false, or it may simply convey a truth through fiction. Calling Christ and Buddha myths doesn't mean they didn't exist.

@ Necro: Nibelungenlied for the win. I've been working my way through that for a while, though I've been limited by time. :P

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

Guest XplsvBam

A myth is a story. A myth may be physically true or false, or it may simply convey a truth through fiction. Calling Christ and Buddha myths doesn't mean they didn't exist.

@ Necro: Nibelungenlied for the win. I've been working my way through that for a while, though I've been limited by time. :P

So columbus was a myth?

So columbus was a myth?

Buddha was real, and is real. -something- Sidharttha [sp?] was is "the" Buddha, he was the person who sat under some tree day dreaming for a couple days without moving and came up with buddhism, people followed his religion, and if you reach enlightenment, you can become a buddha to. (or something similar to what I just said)

Christ on the other hand, has no proof of existance, where'd his cross go? Where was he buried? besides of course whats written in the bible, which could of easily been all make believe. (unless Mel Gibson = Jesus?) :XD:

1z2zrwo.jpg

Guest XplsvBam

So columbus was a myth?

Buddha was real, and is real. -something- Sidharttha [sp?] was is "the" Buddha, he was the person who sat under some tree day dreaming for a couple days without moving and came up with buddhism, people followed his religion, and if you reach enlightenment, you can become a buddha to. (or something similar to what I just said)

Christ on the other hand, has no proof of existance, where'd his cross go? Where was he buried? besides of course whats written in the bible, which could of easily been all make believe. (unless Mel Gibson = Jesus?) :XD:

the bible.

So columbus was a myth?

the bible.

I once wrote a book with little green alines that had giant eyes. Is that proof that they are real?

I'm not saying the Bible is wrong, but your argument isn't that great. Just because a book said so.

dmanxb7.jpg

It would a smart idea to leave religion out of this.

If someone says one religion is a myth, others might get angry.

So quit trolling around...

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

So columbus was a myth?

the bible.

I once wrote a book with little green alines that had giant eyes. Is that proof that they are real?

I'm not saying the Bible is wrong, but your argument isn't that great. Just because a book said so.

Xplsvbam, I've never resorted to insulting someone before, I don't want to begin. But you need to be put in your place. No matter how much you resent it, the Bible, God, Budha, the Qu'ran, it's all an example of mythology. It's just accepted more.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

So columbus was a myth?

the bible.

Xplsvbam, I've never resorted to insulting someone before, I don't want to begin. But you need to be put in your place. No matter how much you resent it, the Bible, God, Budha, the Qu'ran, it's all an example of mythology. It's just accepted more.

But the morals, values, ethics etc. that come from the Bible, Qu'ran, Torah, etc. are all very good for society. Well most of it is. The stories, however, I believe are more exaggerated versions of a true story. Like Moses for example. Maybe he went through a swamp or something? I'm sure there's an explanation.

dmanxb7.jpg

Guest XplsvBam

So columbus was a myth?

the bible.

your very mind set proves the bible. the reason why no one has ever attempted to prove to you the bible is real is because you would probably have to read a book and with your bias you wouldn't allow your self to believe it even with it proven to you.

In other words, Jesus warned that people of our modern world also would be living comfortably and normally, with no growing sense of concern or alarm, until they were overwhelmed by catastrophe.

Do you think that all christians are doubt free? Is a reason that you don't believe the bible is real is because you can't fully accept it? Do you think you aren't allowed to have any doubt? Try accepting the obvious and maybe the not obvious will make more sence.

Alright, after some more looking into, these two are the easier set to compare.

http://www.indians.org/welker/howrabbi.htm "How Rabbit Brought Fire to the People" (Creek)

http://www.indians.org/welker/firstfir.htm "First Fire" (Cherokee)

The story of the first fire for each tribe. I'm still searching for some some more options, maybe a creation story from the Aztecs and some other civilization.

Probably already too late, but you could compare the Gilgamesh Epos with the story of Herakles/Hercules. There are also stories of a great flood in almost all cultures. Creation stories work as well of course as well as Armageddon. btw in greek mythology Prometheus gave man the fire.