Rule 15 = Order 66

blackrazor

my spyware blocker doesnt block adds... it doesnt matter for me...

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Block adverts? Who would ever do such a thing... O:) :-#

I wonder. Members have no ads on their screen. They must all be blocking them. Ban all the members.

I think it is just a pathic rule and they other rules that they make, (hopefully they don't make more) will proably be just as bad.

troope1.gif

I will shoot down any one with my bitting wit, and sarcasm!

What POSSIBLE reason would someone have to make a fake like that?Does he profit from faking a picture like that? Does it help him at all?Jesus Christ, stop being so suspicious. This is Tip.it for God's sake, not RuneHQ. -_-

While it is logical that Jagex wants to protect their add-income (although I'm sure that income is significantly smaller then their memberships income), I do think they are taking a step too far here. Furthermore, people who do all that effort to block adds aren't very likely to click on them in the first place, are they?

I think Jagex can afford to let people block ads...

I think it is just a pathic rule and they other rules that they make, (hopefully they don't make more) will proably be just as bad.

Then you can all stop playing. Seriously, this is stupid. You guys want to play the game without paying. Fine. You want to block the ads for whatever dumb reason? Not so great. Btw, Jagex probably gets more like .1 cent for each ad. It's not a lot, but it helps keep the f2p free. A lot of members probably goes to maintaining f2p servers. You're basically walking up to those people who give the weekend vacations for a half hour seminar and shouting "I want that vacation, but I'm not listening to your seminar! That is the stupidest thing ever!!!". Guess what, Jagex is giving something for free and you are obliged to play by their rules.

I do think it's a bad idea to have adverts on f2p, it's distracting and as said before cookies and such infect your computer when clicking on them, I used to accidently click on these adverts before I got p2p, highly annoying.

Luckily I don't have that problem anymore as I think zonealarms has to automatically block the adverts for me...but I always use full screen when playing runescape which makes it easier.

v.jpg

I honestly don't see how they would enforce this rule. I don't know if anyone has even been had their account banned for this one. It would be interesting for someone to come on here that has gotten banned for this rule with some of the proof that Jagex uses to jusify the ban. I would like to see how they know if a person is blocking the ads or not.

Meridithila.png

Meridithila.png

The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI.

First Dragon Drop 5/6/2006 -Dragon Med from Bronze Dragon :D

First Barrows Item From Chest 2/20/2007 - Verac's Brassard :D

Alright, time I cracked down on this, so I'll quote myself from here: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?p=3652977#3652977

Something both Jagex and the people who are bigots AND are P2P don't get is this: The computers they try to shove their stuff on BELONG TO THE USER, NOT to Jagex... Put simply from the users, "It is MY computer, and if you think you're going to drop stuff on me to prevent me playing your game or do anything else, and then not give us anything in compensation in return here and there, you're going to get clobbered. You (Jagex) have no right to say what I will or will not do with my PC."

Some people have been forced at this point to chop the adverts with their firewalls due to the damage that those adverts do... and have been the source of more joins to RuneScape than Jagex would like to mention.

Also, in addition to this, most players have parents whom they live with, and the parents' rules for the PC include this:

You will keep incoming adverts blocked to prevent damage to the PC, period. No Exceptions. No company or corporation has any legal right to damage my (the parent's) PC with advertisements, because the PC is owned by me (the parent), not them. If they want you to see their adverts, they WILL provide you with a PC configured as such and will not ever infest my (the parent's) PC. Until then, NOT ANOTHER WORD ABOUT THIS...

I have to wonder a bit. Is Jagex intentionally trying to destroy PCs, make children cry, and cause parents to launch valid lawsuits against Jagex Corp.??? This sure is what it sounds like to me. :( ...and what's worse, emotional damage lawsuits, especially class-action ones, can destroy a company...

'Nuff said. And BTW, whoever called Rule 15 equivalent to Order 66 is flat right. In "Star Wars", Order 66 killed off the good side. That's effectively what Rule 15 attempts to do, and therefore, it should be not followed, period. :shame:

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I have to wonder a bit. Is Jagex intentionally trying to destroy PCs, make children cry, and cause parents to launch valid lawsuits against Jagex Corp.??? This sure is what it sounds like to me. Sad ...and what's worse, emotional damage lawsuits, especially class-action ones, can destroy a company...

I'm really upset at how ignorant parents can be.

according to you quote

You will keep incoming adverts blocked to prevent damage to the PC, period. No Exceptions. No company or corporation has any legal right to damage my (the parent's) PC with advertisements, because the PC is owned by me (the parent), not them. If they want you to see their adverts, they WILL provide you with a PC configured as such and will not ever infest my (the parent's) PC. Until then, NOT ANOTHER WORD ABOUT THIS...

If they don't want their pc damaged, they should not play the game.

Also, no damage qill be incurred unless the ads are clicked.

Furthermore, this "damage" consists of cookies, which are easily fixable.

Ads don't destroy pc's. That idea is born out of the same type of ignorance and gullibility that sparked the Y2K bug.

It would be interesting for someone to come on here that has gotten banned for this rule with some of the proof that Jagex uses to jusify the ban. I would like to see how they know if a person is blocking the ads or not.

Jagex does not show evidence to the player or to the public because such knowledge would encourage many to find ways around this evidence. Jagex may have the proof, but they don't show it to players.

I have to wonder a bit. Is Jagex intentionally trying to destroy PCs, make children cry, and cause parents to launch valid lawsuits against Jagex Corp.??? This sure is what it sounds like to me. Sad ...and what's worse, emotional damage lawsuits, especially class-action ones, can destroy a company...

according to you quote

Ads don't destroy pc's. That idea is born out of the same type of ignorance and gullibility that sparked the Y2K bug.

How little you know these days. :boohoo:

I was doing some innocent web browsing the other day, and lo-and-behold, all a web page's adverts had to do was try and load and a virus attempted to attack me. So I KNOW it was the advert that was the offender. I was lucky my AntiVirus program protected this PC.

And you think adverts are harmless. Thanks for showing how much of a noob you are.

BTW, the site and its' adverts that attempted to attack me have been put on block since.

~Mr. Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I personally got transponder spyware, very probably from a Jagex hosted banner, a couple years ago. These transponders brought in more spyware, that deluged me with a steady stream of pop-ups. That's when I got fed-up, and started blocking most incoming cookies and banners, as well as many harmful websites.

For some useful articles on banner threats, and technical and legislative information, check out some of these: (It's more than cookies, no matter what Jagex claims.)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5202452.stm

http://www.lctjournal.washington.edu/Vo ... Braff.html

http://www.wib.org/wb_articles/crime_de ... _dec04.htm

http://www.umanitoba.ca/campus/ist/secu ... /index.htm

http://www.informit.com/articles/articl ... 25852&rl=1

http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/ ... ckers.mspx

I was doing some innocent web browsing the other day, and lo-and-behold, all a web page's adverts had to do was try and load and a virus attempted to attack me. So I KNOW it was the advert that was the offender. I was lucky my AntiVirus program protected this PC.

And you think adverts are harmless. Thanks for showing how much of a noob you are.

BTW, the site and its' adverts that attempted to attack me have been put on block since.

~Mr. Devnull

I got a virus from an ad on Newgrounds about a year ago, a trojan. I contacted Tom (Think that's his name) about it and he got it removed.

But yea, you don't need to click on an ad to be affected by it. Remember, this is Wild Tangent we're talking about. These guys only pale in comparison to Gator (When they were active)

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

according to you quote

~Mr. Devnull

so true..

no username 4:

1st of all, "if they don't want their PC damaged, they should not play the game". DOES ANYONE HERE WANT THEIR PC DAMAGED????? So, you're saying that every F2P person should quit the game, since they would not like their PC damaged from ads.

Secondly, Cookies may seem to be easily deletable....or so it seems. Have you really looked at all that junk in you C drive an wondered what it was? They're cookies/adware/spyware that were NOT deleted. And to those who actually KNOW about computers, you probably know how annoying spyware gets when you have to change your Windows Registry to permanently take it out.

So that's why I have Norton Firewall, AntiVirus, Microsoft Antispyware, and numerous popup blockers.

-Binarypi0110

If you find an ad especially spywarey, report it.

If for any reason you feel that an advert being shown is inappropriate, please contact us by navigating to the Advertising section of the Knowledge Base (follow the Customer Support link under Knowledge Base on the RuneScape home page) and clicking the link to "Submit an advert complaint" under "Further Help"

When asked to supply an Advert ID, you can find this by clicking the question mark next to the offending advert to display this message. The ID to be provided will then be shown next to the yellow text at the top. Thank you.

It's not like JAGEX is gonna say "Oh, it looks fine, we're gonna keep the spyware spawn there."

worldmapsig.png

newscape300x50qz7.gif

rssig.png(40 crafting, 40 range)

If you find an ad especially spywarey, report it.

If for any reason you feel that an advert being shown is inappropriate, please contact us by navigating to the Advertising section of the Knowledge Base (follow the Customer Support link under Knowledge Base on the RuneScape home page) and clicking the link to "Submit an advert complaint" under "Further Help"

When asked to supply an Advert ID, you can find this by clicking the question mark next to the offending advert to display this message. The ID to be provided will then be shown next to the yellow text at the top. Thank you.

It's not like JAGEX is gonna say "Oh, it looks fine, we're gonna keep the spyware spawn there."

are you sure you know jagex customer support?

Ok. If you get viruses from a website banner ad(though I'm not sure how you know it was the banner), then you probably shouldn't go there.

I have a firewall, yes. I know how annoying spyware is. I've gone on long quests trying to get that spyware off. It stinks, but you DO have to click on it to have the ad seriously damge your PC.

Maybe it's just me. I've never had my computer majorly affected without actually isntalling something or visiting a questionable site. I'm confident that Jagex will not let viruses run rampent through their ads.

In the end, I guess it's your choice wether or not to break the rules.(Because Jagex definitely isn't changing them.)

Just one more thing in Jagex's defense. This is the only way to make up for the huge losses we give them. You can choose wether or not to follow the rule, but saying Jagex is stupid for trying not to lose money just isn't right. The rule is only logical, or else they wouldn't have ads in the first place.

The thing that worries my the most is that Jagex's main advert partner, WildTangent, has a reputation with anti-spyware companies...

Some of these anti-spyware programs if you scan your computer, can list WildTangent related spyware/malware...

Some of their adverts and methods on collection information, are well.. questionable at best... :?

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

saying Jagex is stupid for trying not to lose money

Excuse me for the short extraction, but are many of us saying that? NO! :x

'Nuff said. IMKPO (In My Kindest Personal Opinion), you're like a one-legged man in a rear-kicking contest at this point. :(

~Mr. Devnull

You're all saying, in one way or another, that Jagex is stupid for making rule 15.

Not making rule 15 would mean losing money. All Jagex is doing is trying not to INCREASE the losses they already have on f2p. You're basically saying they're stupid because they made this rule that results in less lost money. Unless you have some other idea for them to make up the losses of f2p without charging anyone.

That is what I meant.

You're all saying, in one way or another, that Jagex is stupid for making rule 15.

You assume too much. The vast majority of players would still subject themselves to the banners and pop-ups, even without the rule, if only because of ignorance and laziness about spyware.

And most customers that were going to go through the trouble of blocking their banners (and all incoming banners, not just those of Jagex), are still going to, no matter what the rule says.

But, by making it a rule, Jagex risks voiding their protection from consequential damages in their TOS, especially from EU customers. Jagex is in England, and the European Union tends to have stricter rules than North America. Mind you, the USA is tort heaven, so that will be no fun, legally speaking, either.

So basically, by making it a rule, Jagex isn't really getting more people to watch the banners, and they are opening themselves up to potentially costly legal hassles, should anything go very wrong with one of those banners. Basically, not a good business move on their part.

They would have been better off leaving it to customer discretion, because it's not going to change customer behavior to have the rule, and real-world legal risks are just not worth it.

Understand?

You assume too much. The vast majority of players would still subject themselves to the banners and pop-ups, even without the rule, if only because of ignorance and laziness about spyware.

And most customers that were going to go through the trouble of blocking their banners (and all incoming banners, not just those of Jagex), are still going to, no matter what the rule says.

But, by making it a rule, Jagex risks voiding their protection from consequential damages in their TOS, especially from EU customers. Jagex is in England, and the European Union tends to have stricter rules than North America. Mind you, the USA is tort heaven, so that will be no fun, legally speaking, either.

So basically, by making it a rule, Jagex isn't really getting more people to watch the banners, and they are opening themselves up to potentially costly legal hassles, should anything go very wrong with one of those banners. Basically, not a good business move on their part.

They would have been better off leaving it to customer discretion, because it's not going to change customer behavior to have the rule, and real-world legal risks are just not worth it.

Understand?

ya, I see what you mean.

You're basically going from "Jagex is really dumb with this rule I hate it." to more of a "This is a poor business move on Jagex's part". The same core meaning, but you're changing your argument.

It may be that they are benefitting financially from the ad companies by making this rule.(I don't really know, I'm just speculating)

Either way, Jagex has their reasons, and they probably have lawyers.

Any which way you put it, though, if someone brought up charges against Jagex (or Jagex launched a lawsuit on someone), the case would end up with Jagex losing, badly. :(

Jagex can't say they aren't liable and then force someone to view the adverts too. That's called "illegal entrapment", and Jagex can't legally do that. :notalk:

~Mr. Devnull

ya, I see what you mean.

You're basically going from "Jagex is really dumb with this rule I hate it." to more of a "This is a poor business move on Jagex's part". The same core meaning, but you're changing your argument.

I started this topic, and maybe you should reread my first post before accusing me of something.

In it, I speak about consequential damages, crossing a line, and bad precedents. While it's true that I personally do not like the rule, I also feel that it's a bad legal (and business) choice, as well.

So they have lawyers? Do you think lawyers are perfect? Or that entreprenneurs always heed good legal advice?

Let me give you a real world example. Marvel Comics (the real-life company that makes the comics) sued NCSoft (the company that makes the MMO City of Heroes). Marvel was accusing all sorts of copyright infringment, both from the COH game design, and what players were allowed to custom design, that would look similar to Marvel heroes.

Well, NCSoft fought back, and countersued Marvel on various points, as well. Now Marvel is on the run (legally speaking), and desperately tried to fight back NCSoft's legal vollies, using California anti-SLAPP laws. Well, Marvel could have avoided all this legal cost and hassle, by not going after NCSoft with a weak infringment case in the first place. But I guess some lawyer thought it was a good idea at the time, eh?

EDIT: In the end, both Marvel and NCSoft settled their cases, to the point of a legal stalemate. Neither side won any ground, and both sides lost plenty of cash on legal expenses.

Any which way you put it, though, if someone brought up charges against Jagex (or Jagex launched a lawsuit on someone), the case would end up with Jagex losing, badly. :(

Jagex can't say they aren't liable and then force someone to view the adverts too. That's called "illegal entrapment", and Jagex can't legally do that. :notalk:

~Mr. Devnull

Actually, it is the player's obligation to read the rules before hand. If they thought there was a problem, they should not have played. It's really not Jagex's fault.

But if you live in the US, anything is possible. If you can sue McDonald's cuase you're fat, you can sue for anything.