Merchanting 101 - Nuclear_man2's guide to Merchanting V5.0GE

Nuclear_man2

ty if you have any suggestions im willing to listen...

I'm working on starting a web design buisness and a book

Goals-90M/100M-Top 2.0k In Smith-26m as F2P(+lvl 79 Smith)

United SmeltersÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ Association-Founder

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hiitchhiiker

Hey this is a great merchanting guide. :thumbsup: I actually merchant rune essence, but now that I have more money I think I'm going to use your guide to merchant coal. Merchanting is fun and makes me some great money. I agree that merchanting is a skill in of itself.

Merchanting is a way of li...Runescape, I mean,

Hiitchhiiker

Hiitchhiiker - ty very much. Merchanting coal probably would work fairly well.

I expectally like this part lol

"Merchanting is a way of li...Runescape, I mean"

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

bump

So far i have gotten... 68-70m (overall profit) ive obtained from merchanting, along with 90 smith, 85 fletch, 69 craft, and 74 mage

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

• 3 weeks later...

Nice guide :thumbsup: I was doing the smeltign steel bars thing before i read this guide, but now i might try my hand at coal. Well written, and detailed.9/10

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

tryto - yes tyvm, well tyvm for the comment. (any suggestion on how to get 10/10 lol :D.

heWenger - [sorry about the delay on the reply was gonna use the reply as a bump 2 anywho...] yup u did then... (iron good for me). well thats good go merchant me some iron+coal :) maybe some rune ore... :D.

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

Nice guide ;) I've seen this guide very often but as I'm quite an experienced merchanter myself I didn't put much effort reading it :P

I myself am also an ores/bars merchant and so far I have a net value of over 50m in f2p \' I did some other stuff than merchanting too though and I took a bit of a different way to merchant than you do. It's a bit slower but I just hired people to mine for me and every once in a while I'd meet with them and I'd buy a few k ores :P Only costs me like 5 minutes so I can combine merchanting with regular playing :D

Anyway, nice job making this guide ;)

vsigcopyhj0.png

yercow - cool ty i will send it shortly

rulerdavid - yes, i started that way but it proved to be more efficent to buy from merchants though at one time i did have 50+ miners working under me.

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

I just have something for you to add to your scam prevention part. I merchant alot with coal so i accept alot back when i sell the coal. Well one time when i was trying to sell 1k coal, some lvl 14 came and traded me, he offered 1444k, then alot of other junk, like 3 lobs, 2 un noted coal ore and pie pans and stuff, but he then went and took away 1 or 2 of the items. When i went into the second trade window i saw that instead of 1444k, it was now 1444gp. So i stoped the trade and walked away. But just to say ALWAYS CHEECK THE SECOND TRADE WINDOW IF YOU DONT WANT TO GET SCAMED!!!

i think thats in there... and thats a fairly old scam ive seen it before long time ago.

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

10/10 for sure nice guide, keep it up, lil more pics wouldn't hurt anyone though

Dogatehw.png

Life is like riding a bicycle, you donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Dogatehw -tell a pic that would be worth while adding and ill put it in lol :)

killerbo - ty

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

lol thanks

and to everyone... post if u have any suggestions.

Maybe be the "best guide ever"* however I doubt its perfect lol.

*Quoted from MrShinyredplanet

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

hats off.........its quite a nice guide...

reminds me of those old days when i used to totally dominate world 1/world 3 iron ore markets for like a month..........and i could make around 3 mil a day.......

i would also like to add some tips for iron ore merchants with 10 mil+ gp.

:arrow: a nice way to make profit is by getting complete control over the market of the commodity you are selling.

For example,wen i had 25 mil..........

i used to buy all iron ores 105 ea(110 ea when there were other buyers also buying at 105 ea).........and sell em 120 ea

and i also kept stockpiling upto 200k iron ores.....woot!!!

The whole point is that wen u are buying iron ores at say 105 ea...when the expected market value is 100 ea,almost 90% of sellers would sell their ores to you and you only......

and scince you have lots of cash in your hand,you can keep stockpiling your commodity......

Just remember to keep on shouting "buying all iron ores 105 ea'...and the suppliers will automatically come to you.

In the mean time...if u find a prospective buyer whoose buying loads of iron ore(by loads i mean atleast 5k-10k iron, some ppl may even buy say 100k iron ores) at a slightly higher price.............negotiate with him into telling that you can provide him the entire stock that he wants....and make him agree on your price...how ever high your price may be.............and the more bulk you have the higher price you can get

like i might be able to sell 10k iron only at 110 or 115 ea....but if i have 100k iron ores.........some buyers would even buy the entire bulk for 125 ea-130 ea

now one important factor needed is patience..............coz ppl who want to buy in small amounts never buy at high prices............you may even have to stay in the market for 2 or 3 hours keeping on stockpiling iron before you find good buyers.But by a good buyer,i mean a buyer whoose gonna make your day.....like someone willing to buy say 50k+ iron ores....(the best sale ive ever had was selling 180k iron ores 125 ea...that was an awsome """(125-105)x180k=3.6 mil""" profit all at one go...but i had to wait around 4 hours just keeping on buying iron before that guy turned up)

If you can become a really good merchant,i think you can move a stock of like 30k-75k iron ores on average per hour...........thats 600k -1.5 mil per hour profit.

Another important point is...never forget the official runescape forum....even if u r not a member,u can read the archives looking for iron ore buyers.....that can be done simultaneously while u r stocking up your commodity.Approx 50% of my profit used to come through buyers who posted in the forums saying the were buying iron.........

and the forums are one place to dig up if u want to get buyers buying loads of iron in a go....

i know my post is quite confusing but i hope it helps some aspiring iron ore merchant shooting for his first santa etc........and maybe ill edit it and make it into an orderly manner someday later

siggk8.jpg

ah no problem ill see about translating it and putting it into my post... as theres a lot of info that i myself have been lacking cause i havent actully merchanted ingame lately... and now that i got a ton of cash that normally lays around... getting back into true merchanting might be good sense ive done a nice amount of smithing and my profits and starting to fall. But first i suppose i should move a lot of rune ore first lol.

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

• 3 weeks later...

Hey nice guide even tho I didn't use it. I made 40 mil in the 2-3 weeks since i've started replaying. I think buying low and selling high is indeed one of the biggest misconceptions that people have about merchanting. In the first few days of merchanting it took me a long time to get 10k iron, the reason why is because I tried to buy for only 80 gp each. Now I can easily get 10k iron in 30 minutes if I buy for 100-105 each.

Just My thoughts on merchanting

I think volumetric turnover is way more important than the price you pay for. If you go to world 1 and try to buy iron for 100ea, it may take you 30 minutes to get 10k iron. If you suddenly raise to 120ea, it may take you only 5 minutes. This is because other merchanters who have already large volumes of iron and sell at 120 would then sell to you. However I am not suggesting you buy at this price because your profit margin would be very low to nothing. Instead, I suggest people make compromises, buy for a higher price if you can get the ore quickly. This may be 105ea or 110ea. You will then be able to sell it on without having to wait to get the ore originally. In this way you will turnover (buy and sell) a lot of ore.

In simple calculations:

Scenario 1:

Buy: 10k iron

Buying price: 100ea

Time required: 30 minutes

Selling Price: 120ea

Profit per hour: 400k

Turnover: 20k ore

Scenario 2:

Buy:10k iron

Buying price: 110ea

Time required: 10 minutes

selling price: 120ea

Profit per hour: 600k

Turnover: 60k ore

As demonstrated, by increasing the buying price, you have reduced the time you needed to buy and thus increased your turnover. Despite having a profit margin that is decreased, you have increased your overall profit by selling more.

Of course, these scenarios are not as clear cut as they appear in real life. In fact many times you will find you can buy easily for 100ea. The market changes rapidly and you should readily adapt to that change. Be willing to compromise if you can get what you want faster. Don't stay in world 1 for a whole hour trying to buy just 10k iron, if its not working theres a reason.

very true i might use ur post as a quote in mine

in fact that is mostly what i do... however i dont care for standing around saying buying this so i use the forums to buy and sell normally. this lends me to being able to do other things such as smithing. (expectally if i can convince everyone to goto me :D)

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide