Merchanting 101 - Nuclear_man2's guide to Merchanting V5.0GE

Nuclear_man2

Hey nuclear, I just finished reading your guide and it was very insightful, inspiring, and very detailed. But it just occurred to me that you disregard one fact: the equivalent trade rule that will apply from January onwards (no more than 3k profit per 15 min). There is no problem with the rest of the guide, except once that rule kicks in, the smelters become a problem, don't they?

I mean in each trade you're trading at least 500 steel bars for iron, coal, and gold.

So say you trade:

1k steel at the current GE price for steel (which is how they calculate the equity) which is at about 575 gp now (I checked like 2 days ago)

and in return you offer:

Iron, coal, and 125 gp (pretty standard price) to compensate, that's 555gp you're paying per steel bar (80 per iron, 175 per coal) in equity.

Which makes your profit 20 gp per bar; spread over 1k bars, that's a 20k profit for you (the merchant) in one single trade. Which is to be impoossible come January.

Did that make sense? If I'm mistaken please correct me, because that is a daunting figure now that I see it written out.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i beileve if i recall right they are gonna update it so thats its 30k instead, not much but still, and that did not apply when i wrote the guide... i was gonna update it with a new method i found, however while it worked good at first, prices will also eventually fall back down... and thus the method will eventually lead to loss of money, hopefully less then u gained threw the method... but still decided not to add it...

while that does affect the smelter part. THe main point is that any form of merchanting thanks to the updates is highly deminished by the time they kick in, as the more merchanting is allowed the more it is possible for the RWTs to get back into RS. Thus any alternative merchanting method has to be heavily researched to check for flaws, and even though there is no real sure fire way that i know of that is effective as the former method.

In essance if merchanting was a person, jagex cut off one arm and one leg. leaving it not entirely useless, but defiinitely not very helpful.

If any one knows any decent ways to merchant, (say capible of reaching 100k or more in a reasonible amount of time, without skilling tell me and ill look into it, and add it to this guide.

Btw for those who wanted to know the method i was gonna add was basicly this...

keep track of an item on the GE, if it keeps going up daily start buying into that item, if u can sell within a day, buy some more, (this i tried on steel bars and gold ore, which worked well until both started to deflate which combined cost me 2.8M (i think i made 1.5-2.5M before the prices deflated, mind u i was merchanting with 58M cash to work with, and used at least half of it at a time).

I'm working on starting a web design buisness and a book

Goals-90M/100M-Top 2.0k In Smith-26m as F2P(+lvl 79 Smith)

United SmeltersÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ Association-Founder

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

I've made 8M pretty much afk the past 3 days, I had a few rounds of COD4, had a few customers, repeat.

I bought Sara Brew (3)'s for 1044gp each in the GE. Sold them 1.5k each.

ya that probably work fairly well, 1.5k ingame?

how many did u buy/sell at a time?

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

wow, this really helped!!! =D> i thought that since the 3k update came to effect, it would be impossible to merchant. but now im gonna buy ores and smith them into bar and sell that. great idea :thumbsup:

mostorganized2.jpg

4cbc39f2_e406_2d21.gif

ya very true that method will still work... however as a merchant its not really possible... as you cant pay smelters to do it for you... if your a member you can also try smithing iron bars into iron arrowtips was doing that while i was still playing :(... might get back to that...

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

• 5 months later...
I pasted my own rating earlier...Someone hacked your account man. And also Runescape Rocks's too...

Kudos to them if they did. I"m bored so I guess I'll check it. The password recovery questions would be rather hard to figure out, and the password isn't normal, but it isn't exactly too complicated if you think about it.

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

I pasted my own rating earlier...Someone hacked your account man. And also Runescape Rocks's too...

Kudos to them if they did. I"m bored so I guess I'll check it. The password recovery questions would be rather hard to figure out, and the password isn't normal, but it isn't exactly too complicated if you think about it.

I checked the account, everything still is there as far as I could tell. It's possible, but I doubt it would be worth while to hack anyway. with the trade rule it would take quite some time to steal 10s of millions of GPs. The account itself isn't worth a whole lot, thought it does smith rune, but with the exchange that matters little unless you can mine it (which I can't ha ha to all who might try).

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

Aww I didn't get a chance to look at the ge section. You should repost this.

Its all Aed out, i can hardly read parts! Ill pm you.

My pure's stats:

str:70

attc:35

def:4

range:72

mage:70

hp:70

Its all Aed out, i can hardly read parts! Ill pm you.

It was about 20 pages long on word, so I'm not too supprised something like this happened.

You are all lucky I kept the orginal on file, as I wasn't going to take the time to re-type it.

It's posted, enjoy.

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

Most of your company-making stuff is totally obsolete, people won't join a company and sell right to you, they'll sell it on GE just like you and that is why the GE made that kind of merching obsolete.

For that i give this guide a 5/10.

newsigac5.png

• 3 weeks later...
Most of your company-making stuff is totally obsolete, people won't join a company and sell right to you, they'll sell it on GE just like you and that is why the GE made that kind of merching obsolete.

For that i give this guide a 5/10.

True, but I wouldn't say the smelting section is out though.

I don't feel like taking the time to edit it to be more current as I haven't played since January (well I was on once, but that was just to check my account).

I suppose this guide, and my username to those who remember it and still play are all that is left of my legacy on here. Imagine that.

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

You really should return nuclearman. With GE there are far easier and better way of merchanting now. Merchanting will not die.

I have just reached my target 110 mil from 40 mil in 2 months of merchanting. I am sure if you are back you can figure a better way to merchant.

You really should return nuclearman. With GE there are far easier and better way of merchanting now. Merchanting will not die.

I have just reached my target 110 mil from 40 mil in 2 months of merchanting. I am sure if you are back you can figure a better way to merchant.

Anything worth coming back to? I still got about 40-60M of the 90M i had. So if it was worth coming back to I'd consider it, however I also got college coming up soon. So not much time to play.

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide