Merchanting 101 - Nuclear_man2's guide to Merchanting V5.0GE

Nuclear_man2

Very good guide! Though I do have a disagreement with this statement:

"I agree with your quote from vppunkrocker, I think merchanting requires skill, and I would argue that since you are using real life skills (communication, courtesy, appointment management, etc) that it is even more important than getting lvl 99. Anybody can click a mouse a couple million times, (heck you can program a computer to click a mouse a couple million times) what takes skill (and something you can't program a computer to do) is making decisions based upon what the market is doing, making people happy, happy enough that they will come back to you later, and generally just being able to interact with a human being. "

While I in no way disagree that merchanting is a skill, and takes skill. I would completely disagree with the statement that "even a computer can.." This is probably the most idiotic statement I have ever heard, and is a terrible way to look at life. Even a computer can play chess better than a champion, so the Russian who learned at 1 and a half is worthless, right?

Completely wrong. Just like learning chess, getting a 99 is quite difficult. I'd again like to state that while merchanting does take skill, learning chess, or perfecting training agility, or learning how to effectively buy and smelt also takes skill.

Again though, it is necessary to look at the statement. In fact, this statement can even be countered by saying other things. The first I'd like to bring up is that skills take skill, and skill that isn't necessarily 'just clicking.' Take a look at even your own method of getting smithing experience. Ask yourself this: Does a smith have to 'just click' to get smithing experience like that? Of course not! He has to do trades, work as a smelter, etc.

It is also possible to counter this argument by saying that computer programs are not yet 'good enough' to merchant. One might say now that computers could never emulate merchants, but I don't think I have to remind anyone of the power of programming today. 100 years ago, computer chess technology was unthinkable. Think again.

Finally you could argue that perseverance, perfecting timing, are also 'real-life skills,' or even that 'real-life skills' are irrelevant.

In conclusion, I'd like to state that even though this wasn't your quote, I believe you should edit your statement about totally agreeing with him, or else put something in that says you disagree with the aforementioned critiques of skilling. It would also be simple to just use ellipses (AKA the three periods, dot dot dot ---> ...) to take out what you disagree with.

Now I'm not saying that you definitely should, but I think that the information provided is strong enough to convince you to change what you said.

Thank you for your time, and thank you for reading this and considering my statement. ~Death

Sleeping-in-cushionhigh.jpg

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have to disagree with ur statement that a computer could merchant, yes it is true that computers are getting better, however i feel that with current technology and current skill, effective "auto-merchants" are still impossible. There are bots that auto-buy from stores. However there are not ones that are capiable of efficently merchanting off of players. (that is cabible of doing the following to be a true merchant...

-making decisions based upon what the market is doing (includes buy/sell prices

-being able to make sure ur not getting scammed

-being able to offer the right amout of cash to pay for the amount of ores you are buying.

im sure u could program something to buy all iron ore 100ea, sell for 110ea (or even up to 130ea)... however the iron ore market changes (when i first started playing i could buy iron ore 50ea sell for 100ea.)

So for now... i cant agree with that. I have also yet to see a bot that buys/sells form/to people.

i will however add that getting to 99 does require raw determiation (a skill absolutely required to get to 99 without using some sort of bot). After all u do need to be at least somewhat motivated to click a mouse a million or so times.

I'm working on starting a web design buisness and a book

Goals-90M/100M-Top 2.0k In Smith-26m as F2P(+lvl 79 Smith)

United SmeltersÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ Association-Founder

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

Thank you Nuclear, for recognizing the issue at stake. While I would disagree about technology as it is, that is a moot point. Recognizing that getting a 99 is more than 'just clicking' was what I wanted to achieve, much like RS is much more than 'pixels.'

That being said, I really like your ideas on a business. I think it would have been useful for you to provide more information about organizing a business.

Overall though, I think the guide was well written and had solid information. Nice work.

Sleeping-in-cushionhigh.jpg

adam1480 -well there could be 2 reasons why u dont knnow what it means.

#1 - u dont know what "^" means... it means to the power of

#2 ur not in high enough math to know what exponents are (in which cause it means

2^31-1

2 to the power of 31 subtracted by 1

so

2x2x2x2x2x2.... (2 times it self 31 times) then subtract 1...

which ends up

2,147,483,648 - 1

= 2,147,483,647

which is the number in ()

hope this clears everything up for ya

Death_Dude74 - yes i know that getting 99 isnt just clicking (im after 99 smithing, and maybe 99 fletching myself; i guess ur right when u said it seemed like i agreed that it is just clicking... so i did edit that (as for computers im a bit of a programmer myself so i stand by my statement (am not saying its not possible just improbable). (got a bit to go still :()

and i agree i should go more in depth into organizing a buisness. Ill have to get on that a bit later as im actully just repling to this post then leaving. Buisnesses are very difficult and complicated to set up... so now that u mention it it is a well needed addition (ill increase the version to V4 when im done so keep ur eye out...)

Depending on how long it is i may make it a completely new section.

anywho... im off for now... will reply to this post when im finished with the update.

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

OK its finally here V4.

With a whole new section: Company management.

hey Death_Dude74,

I finally got the new update done... Took me 2 hours to type, code, and debug.

So you best enjoy :D.

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

massive guide, but i prefer skilling which is a more reliable source of cash and brings xp along the way

ive never gone all out merchanting, its always been another skill coming after my actual lvls, this bit of occasional merchanting has gotten me a santa+pumpkin, so i gotta be doin sumthign right ::'

great guide, like how its so organized and i dont have to scroll like 30 times, the tabs are awesome

9.9/10(cuz nothings perfect!)

ironmdefault,demon%20x%20lord.gif

pure:demon_x_king

massive guide, but i prefer skilling which is a more reliable source of cash and brings xp along the way

ive never gone all out merchanting, its always been another skill coming after my actual lvls, this bit of occasional merchanting has gotten me a santa+pumpkin, so i gotta be doin sumthign right ::'

great guide, like how its so organized and i dont have to scroll like 30 times, the tabs are awesome

9.9/10(cuz nothings perfect!)

ya i could probably buy a santa but i dont think i ever will cause i never have more then like 20m in cash now adays (normally like 1-10m)

and

ty for the 9.9.

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

It would be good If I had the excel spreadsheet. Good comprehensive guide, but a little out of focus. 8.5/10

out of focus? could you... um go into more details on that?

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

It has good ideas. However it is very long. The specific moneymaking stuff is good, but does stray a little bit away from merchanting. At times I feel like you are just writing for the words. It would be good if it was just a tad more concise. Maybe a summary section would be good.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

It has good ideas. However it is very long. The specific moneymaking stuff is good, but does stray a little bit away from merchanting. At times I feel like you are just writing for the words. It would be good if it was just a tad more concise. Maybe a summary section would be good.

ya it strayed cause i had a lot of people request that i add more sections, such as the smelting part... the tips... the company making guide.

as for the summery, ya i could add that as a last section.

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide

Well id say anything with 20% profit, or greater then 20gp profit (expectally if your able to buy 1,000s) would make good amount of cash; if you can find something that sells for that much minium that would work perfectly.

So far this is my list of things i sell that comply/could comply to that... (average profit (min/max) + average % profit (min/max))...

gold ore

mith ore

iron bars

steel bars (buying the ores then smelting the bars urself (good as a supplement to merchanting))

c balls (buying the ores/steel bars then smelting urself (also a good supplement to merchanting))

nature runes

however those are at my prices so youll have to do the calculations and find out for urself.

Nuclear Co. MSC-Owner

My Merchanting Guide