Purchasable skills

curmudgeony

How would directly purchasable exp affect the game? Would it ultimately help or hurt the game?

It would no doubt take the fun out of the game (of which there is not much). The rich would dominate even morea and, as a result, the poor would be poorer.

To answer for him in what i think he means by agreeing with swamp. Note that this is also why i agree with swamp.

If exp was purchasable you would not mine, chop, fletch, fight, so on...you would merchant a lot and then boom buy all your exp for 99 in everything. Would this be fun to you? I think not. So really there isn't really a debate here, it's just a bunch of people agreeing to each other that this is a bad idea.

If exp was purchasable you would not mine, chop, fletch, fight, so on...you would merchant a lot and then boom buy all your exp for 99 in everything.

But if you were not mining, chopping, fletching, or fighting where would you get the materials needed to merchant? So lets say you buy the level 99 skills, does that make the game over?

curmudgeony.png

• 2 weeks later...

It would give people a HUGE unfair advantage, such as lvl 126's with pure accounts buying their stats up to lvl 99. Also, if you were a rich player with experience in merchanting, you'd have a lvl 120+ account in a few months, which takes away a lot of the fun of the game for other people. Also, it would give less respect to high level players who actually worked to get their stats maxed out, not just bought their way there.

goldphishies.jpeg

[>>Thanks to Yaff2 for Reaper,Trooper,and DOOM sigs, Navyplaya for nature sigs, Hardwick246 for gold sig, ThruItAll for Darkwatch and guitar sigs, and Aijiru for avvy!<<]

[>>Refresh for new Siggie!<<]

I firstly thought you're idea was ridicilous. But after Duke worked it out a bit more, I started thinking about it. But I came to the conclusion I'm still against it.

- I totally hate the idea of getting levels in a specific skill, without doing that skill at all! Doing this way you could remove all skills immedialty and only start counting xp.

- You wouldn't get respect for any skill anymore, just because you could buy it.

- To make this system effective, it must be deffenitly the fastest way of leveling. There for, money would be the only thing which is significant by then.

I also don't think money should have a bigger role in this game. I can see people need to spend their money on, after they bought every item which could be usefull and/or give status. But IMO there is always more to purchase; more herbs, ess, black hides for extremly quick crafting training, construction, loads of runes just to have fun in caste wars, etc. So there is no real need to put something like this in the game(Personally, I've never experienced anything which comes close to "too much money", so I may be talking rubish.)

But I have to agree it would be a nice economic experiment to see what would happen.

If my english sucks, I'm sorry. I've always been bad at foreign languages.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

The main difference is that you have to use these items that you purchased. If you think that once you got the planks you've just about got 99 construction you're sorely mistaken. It DOES take time to turn this money into exp, which is why buying lamps would be horribly broken.

The following I copy & pasted from my response in another thread

I, too, dissagree that buying your way to 99 makes it less admirable. You can't just spend the money, snap your fingers, and get 99. You have to invest money AND time. Remember that the money will take time to get. therefore you are invest time AND even more time. This is respectable.

Say it takes a month to get the cash for the skill and then you get it within a week.

Then say another cape, which cannot be affected by cash, takes you 3 weeks to get.

According to the logic of buying your way to 99 being less admirable, this would mean that the second cape is more admirable. But which took more time and efford? The first one.

People often forget the tremendous effort put into getting the cash. It shouldn't be overlooked and it DOES count as efford

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

If exp was purchasable you would not mine, chop, fletch, fight, so on...you would merchant a lot and then boom buy all your exp for 99 in everything.

But if you were not mining, chopping, fletching, or fighting where would you get the materials needed to merchant? So lets say you buy the level 99 skills, does that make the game over?

You don't need materials to merchant. Only money.

It depends of what purpose you're playing the game...ask zezima if the game is over for him :ohnoes: :lol:

@ solidus_77 he's talking about buying exp so i don't think you're argument applies here...

- You wouldn't get respect for any skill anymore, just because you could buy it.

- To make this system effective, it must be deffenitly the fastest way of leveling. There for, money would be the only thing which is significant by then.

As some other people already mentioned too - money takes time to get, it doesn't just fall out of the sky into people's pockets. And the option should not be interesting for most people, it should cost enough money to ensure that. I don't see how something wouldn't be respectable anymore if you gained it in a different way with hard work as well.

One thing that I should have mentioned earlier is the magic spell Charge, which was basically the perfect example of buyable experience in practice. Various people (mainly stakers) used it to get 99 magic in under 4 hours back then and I must say that I saw very few people really complain about it when it was around. No large scales protests happened, no people quit the game due to it.

Yes, it was eventually removed when Jagex found out about it, but that's more because Jagex themselves don't even like the idea of 'buyable exp'.

As some other people already mentioned too - money takes time to get, it doesn't just fall out of the sky into people's pockets. And the option should not be interesting for most people, it should cost enough money to ensure that. I don't see how something wouldn't be respectable anymore if you gained it in a different way with hard work as well.

I'm going to use Pest Control as a working example for this, too. Before PC came out, just breaking lvl100 cb was something to be praised. Since PC, though, lvl 110+ players are about as common as full Rune, and thus the respect once enjoyed by high leveled players no longer exists. This is because a new, faster alternative to "grind training" was introduced that basically allowed you to buy your way to max levels without putting in the full effort. Sure, you still have to play and win a number of rounds of PC to max out your stats, but the time and effort required now is a mere fraction of what it used to be.

Imagine if people began outpacing players like Zezima in months or weeks, as opposed to years. That would not benefit the community at all. It may still take effort to get the gold to buy the EXP, but in RS, gold flows like water; it is so insanely easy to get money that most people would have all 99s plus all skill capes in no time.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

Imagine if people began outpacing players like Zezima in months or weeks, as opposed to years. That would not benefit the community at all. It may still take effort to get the gold to buy the EXP, but in RS, gold flows like water; it is so insanely easy to get money that most people would have all 99s plus all skill capes in no time.

And the option should not be interesting for most people, it should cost enough money to ensure that.

Sorry, but you guys just really don't read. Most people will still train the skill faster using normal training techniques opposed to 'buying exp' - the cost of exp should be high enough to ensure this.

Charging costed people 200mil to get 99 magic, whereas people could train the skill virtually for free using high alching back then. If charging would still exist today it would have probably cost even more to 'buy' 99 magic now.

I doubt you have got 200mil gp and / or will be able to get 200mil within a month - and remember that would only be enough to buy one skill!

It's really no different for how runescape works these days, it's just an extreme.

Take smithing for example, there are systems where you can lose no money, but they are very slow. The fastest way to get 99 smithing costs 100 mill (with 40% return). The idea is, for the exp being faster, the cost is higher therefore for instantanious exp, the cost is insane.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Ok you're right if it won't be effective for the majority. But I still don't like the idea to gain xp without doing that skill at all. To me it seems like you can get rid of the skills and just start counting xp only (for the little minority).

And what I meant with skills will be less respected: that counts for non-buyable skills. Agilty and mining are the best examples. These are very respected these day, just because there is no way then just train it the slow (boring) way. If those would be buyable, the respect level will decrease hugely, even though only a very few people will use it. Obviously I can't speak for other people, but I know I would think that way, so why others wouldn't? This is totally different then the charge spell IMO. That is/way buyable at a quite fast way already.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

That would be a downright terrible idea.

Let's face it, there's two types of skills in this game.

Type A skils and Type B skills.

Type A skills being skills that take time,patience, and hard work to level up.

Type B skills being skills that could be considered "Bought Exp."

Some examples of these...

Type-A skills-

~Attack

~Strength

~Defence

~Hitpoints

~Range

~Agility

~Theiving

~Slayer

~Hunter

~Mining

~Fishing

~Woodcutting

Type-B skills

~Prayer

~Construction

~Herbalore

~Crafting

~Fletching

~Smithing

~Cooking

~Firemaking

~Magic

~Farming

~Runecrafting (Could be considered both type-A and type-B but favoring toward type-B)

Notice that Type-B skills have some of the easiest skills to train.

Firemaking, Fletching, Cooking...

If all skills could be 'bought out' and trained so easily there would be no point to this game and it would just be another reason that 'Runescape revolves around money.'

And what I meant with skills will be less respected: that counts for non-buyable skills.

My point exactly.

2czeqeh.jpg

Magic, farming, and to a lesser extent, runecrafting, should be type B. These may not be cheap to power-level, but it's very easy to do.

I guess your kind of right...

But runecrafting could be debateable(Sp? :P ) but for the sake of keeping things simple I guess it could be considered Type B.

2czeqeh.jpg

• 1 month later...

I could see allowing it...

1xp : 10k gp

:thumbsup:

Yes, if it costed that much, i would agree. But who would actually pay that XD

a 99 skill would cost... lets see.

130 Billion. XD

Ka-Ching!

Considering the most money i think you can have is 2.4bil, this will take a while.

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

I could see allowing it...

1xp : 10k gp

:thumbsup:

Yes, if it costed that much, i would agree. But who would actually pay that XD

a 99 skill would cost... lets see.

130 Billion. XD

Ka-Ching!

Considering the most money i think you can have is 2.4bil, this will take a while.

maybe more like. 1xp : 1k gp. 13B...

but still, i honestly dont think skills should actually be bought. you have to at least put some effort into it.

blackmfmcape,Issac%20Amisov.gif

Issac%20amisov.gif

CHECK OUT MY TOPIC TO 99 FIREMAKING

Proud Runescaper Since 2003

"Skiller Fo' Lyfe"