A quality thread?

Lionheart_0

Well it seems that a big issue right now is quality threads, which leads me to ask the question: What exactly is a quality thread? What makes a thread so good, and so respectable that anything else is considered less then quality?

I'm going to question everyone that posts here on what they think, and see if we can come up with an universal definition.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A well composed original post is a must. There's no reason to start a thread if you're going to talk "lyk d15." A subject that will pull in more than just a few people is also nice. It's nice to have a conversation with a few people but it's also nice to have a lot of people contributing to the conversation. Also, it's nice when the original post isn't very bias.

One which I would say are of low quality are things such as, do you like peas or carrots? Which is your favourite ice cream flavour? Seriously, who reads all that junk. I would say, one where people can voice an opinion which is more than a couple of words long. An insightful topic that allows a diverse number of people to post, and one that is thought-inspiring.

657757fr7.png

SHH HUT YUH MUH. DERKHED.

I think that some posts are of a poor quality by default if they are posted by certain members.

Add irulepoker to that default list.

:roll:

One which I would say are of low quality are things such as, do you like peas or carrots? Which is your favourite ice cream flavour? Seriously, who reads all that junk. I would say, one where people can voice an opinion which is more than a couple of words long. An insightful topic that allows a diverse number of people to post, and one that is thought-inspiring.

I have to disagree. "Favorites" threads aren't "insightful" by any means, but that doesn't mean there isn't a sort of quality to them. People like to discuss favorites and such, so in a reasonable quantity, I think these types of threads are good for message boards. I don't think threads have to be deep or insightful to be of a quality - fun and interesting can also add to the quality of a post/thread.

You crampin' my style.

There are no threads with potential for disagreement.

There are no threads about topics that actually make a difference.

Everyone was so anxious to avoid conflict (topic starter included, I believe). Well, now you've got it, and I guess you don't like it.

Lack of conflict is proportional to lack of interest.

summerpngwy6.jpg

A well composed original post is a must. There's no reason to start a thread if you're going to talk "lyk d15." A subject that will pull in more than just a few people is also nice. It's nice to have a conversation with a few people but it's also nice to have a lot of people contributing to the conversation. Also, it's nice when the original post isn't very bias.

So in other words, someone who just brings forward a topic and basically plays the devils advocate?

I think that some posts are of a poor quality by default if they are posted by certain members.

This could be a factor, but then again, that would change with everyone because as far as i know, there are many people who think certain people are smart and others who think their not. Ergo this would mean the definition of a quality post would be subjective, yet as far as i know, a definition is objective....

Not to mention, are you saying this out of experience in previous boards? Or are you saying this perhaps because you used to come here under a different name?

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

As long as there is some incentive for the thread to continue, then its a decent thread.

Things such as good subject matter, good grammar, good arguments would turn the decent thread into a quality thread.

Also, i hate threads where people either sp34k lyk d15 or use a million smileys

supernovasigst7.jpg

So in other words, someone who just brings forward a topic and basically plays the devils advocate?

I don't care if the original post gives his opinion later in the thread, but I don't like opening a thread and seeing someone go on about how great something is. I wouldn't mind if people would just play the Devil's advocate for a while, then give their opinion after a few others have given theirs..

The most entertaining posts are those made by people making assumptions similar in logic and quality to 1+1=3. Sadly they usually leave the forums for good after a while, but it's good fun reading their angry replies.

I don't care if the original post gives his opinion later in the thread, but I don't like opening a thread and seeing someone go on about how great something is. I wouldn't mind if people would just play the Devil's advocate for a while, then give their opinion after a few others have given theirs..

I disagree entirely. I think its crucial for the first poster to give their opinion right off the bat. It starts the discussion immediately. I can't stand it when people make opinionated topics and just rely on others to give their opinions to get the post going.

You crampin' my style.

I have to disagree. "Favorites" threads aren't "insightful" by any means, but that doesn't mean there isn't a sort of quality to them. People like to discuss favorites and such, so in a reasonable quantity, I think these types of threads are good for message boards. I don't think threads have to be deep or insightful to be of a quality - fun and interesting can also add to the quality of a post/thread.

I guess I see where you are coming from. I just know that for one, in these types of "favourites" topics I don't read anyone else response, and only post my own. Not reading the whole thread always says something to me, that the most part of it is entirely uninteresting. It doesn't leave anything up for discussion and so I would not regard them as good topics.

657757fr7.png

SHH HUT YUH MUH. DERKHED.

Everyone was so anxious to avoid conflict (topic starter included, I believe). Well, now you've got it, and I guess you don't like it.

I would beg to differ. Adam and I are having a wonderful debate in the video games subforum thread. Are you talking specifically about the lack of religious threads? Because as far as i know, there is no ban on threads with potential disagreement.

Also, intarweb i agree with you on the favourits topics. I find it entertaining to read over the thoughts and likes and dislikes of my fellow Tip. iters.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

I would beg to differ. Adam and I are having a wonderful debate in the video games subforum thread. Are you talking specifically about the lack of religious threads? Because as far as i know, there is no ban on threads with potential disagreement.

Also, intarweb i agree with you on the favourits topics. I find it entertaining to read over the thoughts and likes and dislikes of my fellow Tip. iters.

That's the first good one in awhile. The forum has gone dead.

You crampin' my style.

Are you talking specifically about the lack of religious threads?

No, I'm talking specifically about the lack of argumentative threads about things that matter to people in real life. An argument about a video game subforum pales in comparison to an ethical argument like Saddam's hanging (the last decent thread here imo, and it was locked).

summerpngwy6.jpg

A thread that is deemed "quality" by one person, may not be seen as so by another. Everyone is different. (Oh god, here I go again) Language has different levels. It seems to me that the people who have a sound grasp of written English tend to presume that their opinions will be far superior to those of someone who doesn't have the ability to convey their views quite as well as them. I'm quite open to looking at any thread.

Celebrate diversity!

(Although I'm not a fan of all that 1337 crap)

[/Rant]

suzironniesigwx2.jpg

The Poison Fairy

A thread that is deemed "quality" by one person, may not be seen as so by another. Everyone is different. (Oh god, here I go again) Language has different levels. It seems to me that the people who have a sound grasp of written English tend to presume that their opinions will be far superior to those of someone who doesn't have the ability to convey their views quite as well as them. I'm quite open to looking at any thread.

Celebrate diversity!

(Although I'm not a fan of all that 1337 crap)

[/Rant]

If someone doesn't state that English isn't their primary language or that they're not very good at it, then there's a chance I'll get on them about it. Santor has a nice little thing in sig stating that his primary language is Dutch. So when I see his posts, I let to spelling/grammatical mistakes slide. I don't know everyone's primary language by heart, so simply putting in your sig "English is not my primary language" is enough to keep me off your back (just me, not saying you won't get other grammar Nazi's on you). And yeah, the leet-speak needs to stop..

I think point 1 of a quality thread can be agreed on by everyone:

No leet speak or over use of smilies. Also some good spelling and grammar can help.

(This is not a debate thread, no calling me a hypocrite :P )

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

If we ban [wagon] like we know that contribute nothing to the forum, then we might start seeing better threads.

They're even worse than the people who troll to spark arguments. Thanks to some people, I can't even say anymore that the OT forum is on a higher status than the rest of the Runescape forums.

To the people who think they're cool for being useless, [bleep] you