Guide To Making desktop Shortcuts to runescape worlds

Bradley_006

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically this is against rule 7.

The html document counts as a 3rd party application.

Here are some quotes from runescape.com for rule 7:

It must not bypass the normal navigation of our website for users wishing to reach the game worlds. The software should initially only point at the front page of http://www.runescape.com, and should require the user to navigate through the website normally to reach the game worlds. The software must not contain or acquire direct links to our "Select a world" page, or to our game world pages, or to the RuneScape applet.

The html file bypasses the normal navigation by directing to the world webpage.

It must not attempt to make it easier to enter a busy RuneScape world than it would be for users not using the software. It must not allow worlds marked as 'FULL' on the world select page to be selected. It must not contain any features to make it easier to enter or monitor busy worlds.

The html file does exactly this, goes straight to the world full or not.

You may be sitting there thinking "Hey, it's a html file... Not a program!" Well, that is very untrue indeed.

A quote from Jagex explaining that these rules include web-based software:

What do you mean by "software"?

Software means any type of software, including: downloadable software (e.g an [Caution: Executable File] file), or web-based software (e.g a website set up to perform a similar function with flash, java, javascript or serverside scripts).

So your application does infringe on rule 7, if it didn't then a web-based world switcher i wrote before the rule 7 update would still be 100% legal today.

Edit: I know you're going to flame me over your response on the runescape PST about this not being against rule 7, so here is what i say - in the message sent to Jagex PST it does not say anywhere that it uses a html file to aid pointing the browser to the world page - which this does meaning that it is using 3rd party software!

When/where did you find that?

That's new...

My MOD Queue and MODs - StarTrekGuide

sig-2-itsaratflail.png

Just as I suspected.... <.<<.<

i sent in a query to Jagex, and this is what i got as an answer:

modpogho0.th.jpg

i got it fairly quick too, i wasnt expecting that.

YOU GOTTA LOVE THIS GUYS NAME!

Mod Pog, lol, love it! ::' \' ::'

runembnaval,V1d30g4m3r.gif

V1d30g4m3r.gif

70dfc8f070.jpg

Whoever said all things are possible obviously never tried to slam a revolving door...

i keep on getting a 404 error, this is what 1 put

RuneScape - the massive online adventure game by Jagex Ltd

You forgot the Quotetation marks around the address. it should read :

RuneScape - the massive online adventure game by Jagex Ltd

404 - Page not found

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, the page you were looking for was not found.

Wat am i doing wrong?

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

Well... If someone happens to remember, when the old SS was made illegal, the reason happened to be that using it didn't involve the normal navigation through the runescape website. Creating a desktop shortcut is illegal behalf to the same rule that SS got made illegal with.

Even though, there is absolutely no way jagex could find out you're using a desktop shortcut, so go ahead, use it.

I will :wink:

wtf

BEST GUIDE EVER :shock: make a siggy and i will put this in my signature. 10/10. =D> =P~ <3: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1004.png

Wow, watching this thread is better than pro wrestling! =D>

This thread is probably better than pro wrestling because the fights here are real (And the boobs).

Just as I suspected.... <.<<.<

i sent in a query to Jagex, and this is what i got as an answer:

modpogho0.th.jpg

i got it fairly quick too, i wasnt expecting that.

YOU GOTTA LOVE THIS GUYS NAME!

Mod Pog, lol, love it! ::' \' ::'

Obviously that Mod doesn't know what you mean, and once again uses a template.

Since first off all, a shortcut is something you make in notepad or something similar, not a 3rd party program.

And second, you get the whole explanation we always get.

To me another prove they don't actually read what you say.

That on the side, for me it works perfectly, I will use it to get into the merchant worlds :)

I also believe that they can't see if you use the shortcut, since it just uses your normal webbrowser like it always would.

questpoints.png

R_Winters.png

R_Winters.png

great guide works fine for me thanks 8-)

still doesnt work...

dont use spaces when you title the world you chose. put .htm at the end. i had a simaler problem. this should work. hope it helps :D :wink:

1004.png

This thread is probably better than pro wrestling because the fights here are real (And the boobs).

brahhh.jpg

i think thats ok in a nutshell. O:)..

ALSO: instead of putting the world of your choice you can put high scores forums loggin page etc. love the guide but proof is good :D

1004.png

Yet another canned response from Jagex...

canned? you call it canned? did you contact them yourself? i personally wrote them that. all i did to it was block the personal things on my web browser. dont call something cannd you idiot if you havent conatcted jagex. if your going to critisize that responce then do it when you have done a little bit of home work on this short cut. ignorant fool

1004.png