The complete "Should F2P get updates?" Debate! 5,000 views!

Buckeyemange

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what I hate, people that just say their opinion and dn't give a reason for it. ^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are awesome for putting "~Shadow" in your signature and not at the bottom of your posts

~Shadow

yea i hate those too ^^^.

What i also hate is those peeps who dont bother to check up what they say by reading the entire thread THEN PRETEND THEY HAVE. (cant be bothered to find the quote but if u go up a few posts ull find the rough words "$60mill was just made up". no it wasnt. you obviously havent read the thread.

In the fist couple of pages someone 'worked out' that was how much jagex made from adds. scince then some peeps with some common scence worked out (notice the absence of inverted commas) that this was complete rubbish. - if your going to post your opinion as a fact - then support it with proof - something that statement clearly didnt have.

o - and to the person who tryed to discredid someone for there sig - yes it is cool and funny. dosnt mean its ment to be taken seriously. The guy said he wasnt for degrading f2pers - stop trying to find an excuse to say he is. :evil:

Members - actively contribute to Jagex by paying. A member that pays and isn't able to play much in a month still paid for the entire membership.

F2P - passively contribute. Same scenario, F2P player doesn't play that much, Jagex ONLY gets what ads were shown for that person. Add that to the amount of free players that block ads (and I'm sure there ar a lot), then that's even less that Jagex is getting from F2P.

As I've said, I don't see why they can't get an occasional update (which they do. 3 updates - 3 months in a row last year), but the attitude that F2P "should" get or "deserves/is owed" updates, is wrong. Even when they do get updates, it's never enough.

If you want:

Occasional updates - stay F2P

Regular update - join Members

That's what it boils down too. Jagex is a business to get players into members, giving free players more will only encourage players to stay there.

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

[hide=My Stats]Jake_Corsair.png[/hide]

as far as I can see, you are the one making things up, he never said anything about 60 million.

i'm pretty sure you should read through the whole thread, this is on the first page or two. he said that the ad revenue was greater than the money members pay. he said nothing about $60 million, but this is an estimate of how much money jagex gets annually from members.

newscape300x50qz7.gif

grammar2gr8dxhn9.png

"If you have nothing constructive to say, don't say anything at all."

ianer101.

What??? I never said free should be degraded. You suggested that Jagex is receiving more than $60million a year for the ads on free servers, and now you're making things up.

Look at ur sig.

You prob think it's cool. You prob think it's funny.

It is neather of those.

It says " Join the campaign for LESS F2P bank space"

Obviosly you do want it to be degraded

The sig expresses an opinion. The sig is a joke, I don't really want free degraded, but I don't think it should be upgraded.

P.S. Read my new sig about spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Judging from the quality of your post I think you'll like it.

newscape300x50qz7.gif

grammar2gr8dxhn9.png

"If you have nothing constructive to say, don't say anything at all."

People who are f2p should be MORE THAN GLAD THAT JAGEX EVEN HAS f2P. i dont see xbox 360's with a "free to play setting". be happy with what you have and quit asking for more!

i think thats a fair point. and if f2p get new stuff all the time, then theres no reason to even be p2p because you'd always be busy anyway. a few things here and there is probably good, but not too often.

People who are f2p should be MORE THAN GLAD THAT JAGEX EVEN HAS f2P. i dont see xbox 360's with a "free to play setting". be happy with what you have and quit asking for more!

i think thats a fair point. and if f2p get new stuff all the time, then theres no reason to even be p2p because you'd always be busy anyway. a few things here and there is probably good, but not too often.

i spose its like sony's ps3 store - u get the demos and concepts for free but wen u get bored u have to pay to get the good stuff.

jagex should AT LEAST give f2p players some decent mage armor

melee has rune which is fairly good

range has green d hide which again is pretty good

and magers just have a blue/black skirt robe top and wizard hat with a mage ammy honestly who do you thinks getting the really short end of the stick here

Under.gif

Its not at all economical for Jagex to make for F2P updates. While that doesn't mean I don't think they should, I can see why they don't.

F2P is meant to attract new players, and once they get to a certain point allow them to expand their game play. Feeding them more content will mean less subscribers.

i agree, but i think non-members should get small updates, and only at the most 1 every fortnight. coz non-members were really happy when SOS came out. even the members wanted top share these. although i agree i think that new skills should still be members, maybe if it is very rare then occasionly quests should come out (i'm speaking of 1-2 a year)

As a f2p player i think we should get ocassional updates and i under stand that members may think it wrong because they have to pay every month but i dont think it would hurt any one if there were a few updates for all players.

goal: green halloween mask...accepting any help

F2P for life!!

addy.jpg

74+mining :D

Who steals my rsn and uses it as their username?

[/

quote]

i spose its like sony's ps3 store - u get the demos and concepts for free but wen u get bored u have to pay to get the good stuff.

right you get to try then if you want beter you get members but like the person a cuple post above me said f2p should get 1-2 quest a year....

DoD:S ownage

what we have here is a ..um.. failur to communcate

check out my steam ID page @ alpha company

i'll tell you all what we all need. we need banks in the crafting,cooking etc guilds bcoz the banks are always soo far away.

my bro said,"get a life" so i asked "where do i download that...

bannerbancocopiadj3.jpg

newbankofrsyq0.gif

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER!

So F2p does get the Holiday Events too, thats not an update, its a laugh in the face of the already tiny bank space. If anything, they should get 1-3 more rows. I dont see the logic in adding more items while keeping the storage space the same size.

By the way, have you guys even read the first page or two of this thread? I'm not really seeing it.

As a member, I still firmly believe that f2p should get updates at a faster pace than now. I'm not saying even half as many as members, but maybe...1-2 updates every 2-3 months. Just to keep it interesting. Add stupid litte fun quests or something. Also, the higher-leveled f2pers get s shaft on it as well, seeing as theres little to nothing (besides pk-ing) to do on f2p worlds.

Now you might believe that these updates would take away from our beloved weekly updates. I think this is bull. There is enough stuff for us to do without maybe one update-less week spent on making the introductory game for members a little more pleasing.

I know saying f2p is an "introductory game" goes against every fiber of my formerly-f2p self, but you cannot deny the facts. Look at how its evolved from how it origonally was. I can say that too, seeing as I was there from a pretty long time ago. Februrary 2001.

In closing, I believe that f2p should get more updates. Plain and simple. P2p-ers that disagree, deal with it.

So F2p does get the Holiday Events too, thats not an update, its a laugh in the face of the already tiny bank space. If anything, they should get 1-3 more rows. I dont see the logic in adding more items while keeping the storage space the same size.

By the way, have you guys even read the first page or two of this thread? I'm not really seeing it.

As a member, I still firmly believe that f2p should get updates at a faster pace than now. I'm not saying even half as many as members, but maybe...1-2 updates every 2-3 months. Just to keep it interesting. Add stupid litte fun quests or something. Also, the higher-leveled f2pers get s shaft on it as well, seeing as theres little to nothing (besides pk-ing) to do on f2p worlds.

Now you might believe that these updates would take away from our beloved weekly updates. I think this is bull. There is enough stuff for us to do without maybe one update-less week spent on making the introductory game for members a little more pleasing.

I know saying f2p is an "introductory game" goes against every fiber of my formerly-f2p self, but you cannot deny the facts. Look at how its evolved from how it origonally was. I can say that too, seeing as I was there from a pretty long time ago. Februrary 2001.

In closing, I believe that f2p should get more updates. Plain and simple. P2p-ers that disagree, deal with it.

The logic behind adding more items and no bank space, is to drive players into becoming paying members.

And it's not in Jagex' best interest to keep F2P fresh and exciting. Why encourage people to stay there.

As has been stated earlier in this thread, F2P is for introducing the game to new players, letting them see if they like it and then to get them to join members. Whether a player can't or won't pay for members, doesn't mean that Jagex owes them more free content.

The exmple earlier about PS3 having demos you could try for free, but then had to buy the game if you wanted more. Not exactly the same difference, since those demos will NEVER get updated, unlike F2P.

If Jagex ever made a perfect update, there would be players complaining about nothing to complain about.

Why do people get P2P? Because there's more advantages. That being said, if RS was "just" P2P they wouldn't have many members. I'd rather sell out the 60 bucks a year for GW and buy GW updates instead...

Still, RS has so many P2P members because it has so many f2p members. If they make the f2p members happier, and actually hold on to their f2p members (most people I know leave RS after a while because of stagnation), then in turn they'll generate more P2P members eventually.

F2p also forms the base for the P2P economy. The only way to keep P2P happy is by having huge amounts of F2Pers do all the grunt work for the P2Pers (logs, ess, etc). Thus, in order to at least add "some' change to RS, it'll be beneficial to release a few f2p updates. I'm not talking big updates, I'm saying release snare to f2p in order to better f2p wilderness pking, allow a new member item to be crosstraded with f2p etc....implemented slowly, every few months, simply adding a bit of new materials with no harm at all to p2p members. Most f2pers aren't asking for Castle Wars etc, or staking...

BTW I used to be a member...I left RS for a while and returned for a sec because my friend started playing. Dunno when he's going to get tired of it, but when he does I'll probably leave as well.

he logic behind adding more items and no bank space, is to drive players into becoming paying members.

And it's not in Jagex' best interest to keep F2P fresh and exciting. Why encourage people to stay there.

As has been stated earlier in this thread, F2P is for introducing the game to new players, letting them see if they like it and then to get them to join members. Whether a player can't or won't pay for members, doesn't mean that Jagex owes them more free content.

Yes as it has been said before, F2p is made so that prospective members can

view the game before they buy the full version.

But, as free to play is said to represent Members. If members grows, then free to play will have to grow at least in a small way.

Lets view the restaurant analagy.

when the restaurant gives out free samples, they should be reflective of the full restaurants real food. You cannot give a person a tastless hamburger as a free sample, and hope that they turn around and buy the full meal. Members will continue to buy thier membership based on what they see in free to play. That is all it comes down to.

he logic behind adding more items and no bank space, is to drive players into becoming paying members.

Yes as it has been said before, F2p is made so that prospective members can

view the game before they buy the full version.

But, as free to play is said to represent Members. If members grows, then free to play will have to grow at least in a small way.

Lets view the restaurant analagy.

when the restaurant gives out free samples, they should be reflective of the full restaurants real food. You cannot give a person a tastless hamburger as a free sample, and hope that they turn around and buy the full meal. Members will continue to buy thier membership based on what they see in free to play. That is all it comes down to.

F2P only "needs" to grow, if new memberships are declining.

And thanks for bringing back my restaurant analogy. :thumbsup:

But in that example, if someone getting a free hamburger knows, that in 6 months the restaurant will be bringing something else to the "free menu", why are they going to shell out money for it?

Yes players will base their decision on F2p content. But for new players, there is already enough for them to make a decision, more stuff to do will only keep them in F2P longer (and not buying membership sooner). If a player has been in F2P for awhile, then they've already made their decision. If they don't want to get members, then why should they be catered too? Now if someone can't (parents won't pay, etc.), then unfortunately they have to just accept what they can get. It's not Jagex fault they can't pay. They aren't a charity.

LOL about ads no 1 click on them

duh the ads from freepay and others like the one that goes "tickle the fat kid and make him barf for a free ringtone" and "shoot a target to get a free gift" contain viruses if u clik on dem...

the reason for this is to say that jagex needs to get rid of the infected ads on f2p...and listen to ppl when they tell em that viruses are in certain ads.

excuse my wordiness

my bro said,"get a life" so i asked "where do i download that...

bannerbancocopiadj3.jpg

newbankofrsyq0.gif

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER!

I'm a member and I think they should get updates, just not very frequent, maybe 1 every 4-5 months.

F2p has been almost the same since iv'e been playing, almost 3 years now, and the f2p area is VERY old fashioned in a way.

F2p do give a bit of money to jagex, by the ads, only on an estimate by me of about 10% of what members do (correct me if its more), but its still enough for them to deserve more than just the 1 update a year.

Some of the F2p crowd cannot afford the membership, maybe because of poor family or because of other situations, but they should'nt be as punished for that as they are.

On the topic of members saying 'they could have taken time to make a members update', sereously how dumb?! Do they not realise that as a member you CAN do f2p things, #-o. It just means its probably going to be aimed at lower lvls, but so? there are lower lvl members still.

AW :boohoo: to those who whine about members not getting as much updates if f2p get one, us members have 4 a month, thats 48 a year! can we not spare 2 or 3 of those? are we that selfish?

Well, you say that the people might be too poor to pay, but honestly, they need A decent 4MB broadband internet and 138mb ram (correct me if rs needs less) joust to log on to runescape without dieing before everything loads... :wall:

I am a member, i pay good money for doing so, and i expect better treatment than those who dont pay for it, if they give F2P updates too, why bother, i can use my ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã3.50 a month to do more interesting things than watching the people other than the payin ones get updates

URL=http://Forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=351049&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0]sigbanksupportqd1.gif[/url]