The complete "Should F2P get updates?" Debate! 5,000 views!

Buckeyemange

more bank space??? but even thats to much for JaGeX

Let's assume there are 6mil RS players, and about 5mil of them are F2P. These F2P players have about 60 bank spaces each, or 300mil bank spaces altogether. Now I think Jagex uses long integers to store bank spaces and their contents. Long integers are 32-bit (I think). This means:

9600mil bits used for F2P bank spaces, or:

1200 bytes, or:

More than 1 MILLION gigabytes, all on the Jagex servers, storing our worthless pots and cabbage.

For Jagex to add 1 F2P bank space would take 20mil bytes, or around 16667 gigabytes. For 1 more cursed bank space. God, most computers have, what? 20 gigs? Imagine how much space every new player from tutorial island is using? Not to mention inventories, stackable items, notes, etc.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's assume there are 6mil RS players, and about 5mil of them are F2P. These F2P players have about 60 bank spaces each, or 300mil bank spaces altogether. Now I think Jagex uses long integers to store bank spaces and their contents. Long integers are 32-bit (I think). This means:

1200 bytes, or:

More than 1 MILLION gigabytes, all on the Jagex servers, storing our worthless pots and cabbage.

For Jagex to add 1 F2P bank space would take 20mil bytes, or around 16667 gigabytes. For 1 more cursed bank space. God, most computers have, what? 20 gigs? Imagine how much space every new player from tutorial island is using? Not to mention inventories, stackable items, notes, etc.

true, very true. and just think about the people that make random f2p accounts for no reason.

dragonmpraycape,virna.gif

Making a pure. Xv Wild Xv atk:71/99 str:73/99 def:20/20 mage:70/94 range:65/90 prayer:52/52

1200 bytes, or:

umm i dont think they would use 32 bits - sounds abit excessive to me. 32 bits can store a number up to 4294967295 - and i doubt anyone has that much of somethin in there bank :shock:

As for the rest of your post - youve hit too many 0s on your calculator :P

assuming 5 million people with 60 spaces each (that sounds too few to me, but o well ill go with it till someone posts a correct figure) is 300million spaces.

even assuming each of those spaces needs 32 bit - 32 * 300mill = 9.6bill bits = 1.2bill bytes. Assuming 1kb = 1000bytes (it dosent - i think im right in saying 1kb = 1024b - but 1000 is easyer to see where it comes from - someone plz correct me if im wrong about this :) ) then that is 1.2gigabytes - about a million times less than your "working out" :P - so no - if jagex wanted f2p to have more bnk space its easily doable even to double it for them :thumbsup:

BTW - i dont know when you bought your computer - but 20gig :shock: - my LAPTOP is 160gig - and laptops (like for like) have allot less HD space than computers! - my com upstairs is 320gig (2*160 drives) - and even my ps3 is 60gig - are you saying that a game console has 3 times as much HD as what your saying is the "adverage" COMPUTER?? - what are u smokin? :P :wall:

what are u smokin?

Cabbage :P

umm i dont think they would use 32 bits - sounds abit excessive to me. 32 bits can store a number up to 4294967295 - and i doubt anyone has that much of somethin in there bank

No, but I'm assuming that there's about 4294967295 different items. Sounds a lot, but if you think about it it seems possible. Also, they would need a normal integer - 16 bits - to record how many you have, but they might also use another long integer to play it safe, or the server might crash when you collect howevermany gold.

I can't find a fault in your calculations, though, but only 1 gig for storing the banks of 5 million players seems a bit weird.

1200 bytes, or:

Jagex could give free players a lot more bank space if they wanted to. The thing is, they don't. The teeny-tiny free bank is another thing that Jagex uses to try and get more members. It's one of the reasons I joined members, so it does work.

newscape300x50qz7.gif

grammar2gr8dxhn9.png

"If you have nothing constructive to say, don't say anything at all."

At the moment, I'm rather content with what F2P has to offer. The lack of updates doesn't bother me really, mainly because I couldn't see them affecting a level 3 skill pure. (Unless it's a new F2P AND P2P skill.)

I can see the limited bank space becoming a big problem though.

lebewohlsiggykd0.png

F2Pers ARE an important part of the fan base. I doubt most educated players won't be able to recognize that. RS is not on the same level as WoW or XBox Live games. Rather, its appeal is its large fanbase (of which F2Pers are most definitely included). Thus, from a business standpoint, Jagex will not release F2P updates until F2Pers start to decline, or the rate of growth of F2Pers starts to decline, before which Jagex will start to get worried that their old technology may not actually be able to compete with current games, despite being only half what others charge.

So basically, if F2Pers want more updates, they need to stop playing RS so much. Simply quit or retire for a while. I recommend that anyways to all players. I know a lot of players are messing up their lives playing this. Still, I imagine Jagex will remarket itself to foreign countries, perhaps places where lower quality computers still rule, and maybe government officeworkers :). But they'll start losing teenage fans soon if the games I've been hearing about on the horizons start to release.

F2Pers ARE an important part of the fan base. I doubt most educated players won't be able to recognize that. RS is not on the same level as WoW or XBox Live games. Rather, its appeal is its large fanbase (of which F2Pers are most definitely included). Thus, from a business standpoint, Jagex will not release F2P updates until F2Pers start to decline, or the rate of growth of F2Pers starts to decline, before which Jagex will start to get worried that their old technology may not actually be able to compete with current games, despite being only half what others charge.

So basically, if F2Pers want more updates, they need to stop playing RS so much. Simply quit or retire for a while. I recommend that anyways to all players. I know a lot of players are messing up their lives playing this. Still, I imagine Jagex will remarket itself to foreign countries, perhaps places where lower quality computers still rule, and maybe government officeworkers :). But they'll start losing teenage fans soon if the games I've been hearing about on the horizons start to release.

...So in short, your plan to incur attention for an actual update is to go on a RuneScape hiatus instead of just paying the $5?

Sure, freeplay is an important part of the fanbase, yes; but it isn't the part that pays the majority of the bills. They deserve an update here and there, but if you're going to walk out the door and strike instead of becoming Members, then what do you really deserve?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I have recently became a non-member, I do believe that non-memebrs should get updates from time to time, justnot as much mumbers do. Sure a nice f2p quest would be welcomed, along with some other minor non-member updates. But 3/4 times members should get an update for them only.

the reason i believe that f2p deserve any updates is that I think they should be rewaded for playing and contributing because of adverts.

I have recently became a non-member, I do believe that non-memebrs should get updates from time to time, justnot as much mumbers do. Sure a nice f2p quest would be welcomed, along with some other minor non-member updates. But 3/4 times members should get an update for them only.

3/4 is probably stilll to much i say maybe every 6 months?

my bro said,"get a life" so i asked "where do i download that...

bannerbancocopiadj3.jpg

newbankofrsyq0.gif

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER!

Well, I am all for F2P getting updates, what I don't like about F2P (and P2P have the same problem) getting ungrateful about the updates. Because really, since they don't pay, they shouldn't be garanteed (sp?) any updates.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

my opinion may be a bit biased because im 100% f2p but...

i think f2p should get more updates, after all majority rules. according to the first post there are 2.5mil f2p ppl and 900k p2p ppl. i'm not saying f2p gets anything to major, but i demand atleast more bank space if not access to a minigame. sure f2p doesn't pay quite as much as the mems do, but we out number them over 2:1. and think about it, that means f2p is nearly half of Jagex's profit. therefore f2p and p2p are equals, no matter what the levels/experience says. alot of that is from mem only skills anyway. and as proff that Jagex hasn't completely given up on f2p they throw us (f2p)a bone every now and then. Security dungeon - it may have been a subliminal security message, but a dungeon is a dungeon. plus we get graphic updates, holiday stuff, and occasionally new emotes. But when you look at the member side of the updates, they get weekly updates including new places, new minigames and new armor. That in no way is equal. if f2p as a total pays about as much as all the mems do total, we should have that same equality shown on the updates center!

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

if f2p as a total pays about as much as all the mems do total, we should have that same equality shown on the updates center!
Equality, no. But a couple little things a year, I do believe we should get. By the way, the ads don't pay that much, only a little bit more than the cost of free servers. However, it is still a small profit.

I am a F2P'er and I don't have plans to switch to P2P in the near future.

I have a friend who is P2P and he often says things to me like "I have found a new way to make money! It is members-only..." and I hate it.

I don't think P2P stuff should be made F2P (like bank space), there should be some new stuff added for both F2P and P2P (like the Stronghold of Security).

But we also do get updates sometimes.

Look at this list:

May 10 - QuestHelp system

May 31 - Interface change

Jun 02 - 11 new worlds

Jul 04 - Stronghold of Security

Aug 22 - New prayers

Aug 29 - Monster graphical update

Aug 31 - KB - Area Guides

Sep 27 - Tutors, Lumbridge bank, Home Teleport, Player interface, Area Sounds

Oct 30 - Halloween Event

Dec 18 - Christmas Event

Mar 06 - Music update

Mar 13 - Caps in the middle of the sentence, Attack switch, Prayer switch

Mar 20 - World switching

Apr 02 - Easter Event

Apr 18 - Wilderness Ditch

Apr 24 - Pass security

We got 16 updates in the last year. It should continue like that.

But we also do get updates sometimes.

Look at this list:

May 10 - QuestHelp system

May 31 - Interface change

Jun 02 - 11 new worlds

Jul 04 - Stronghold of Security

Aug 22 - New prayers

Aug 29 - Monster graphical update

Aug 31 - KB - Area Guides

Sep 27 - Tutors, Lumbridge bank, Home Teleport, Player interface, Area Sounds

Oct 30 - Halloween Event

Dec 18 - Christmas Event

Mar 06 - Music update

Mar 13 - Caps in the middle of the sentence, Attack switch, Prayer switch

Mar 20 - World switching

Apr 02 - Easter Event

Apr 18 - Wilderness Ditch

Apr 24 - Pass security

We got 16 updates in the last year. It should continue like that.

I agree, 2 content updates or so, as well as some graphical updates, etc. Nothing huge, or else many members would complain and rant everything, but a couple of small updates.

I don't think P2P stuff should be made F2P (like bank space), there should be some new stuff added for both F2P and P2P (like the Stronghold of Security).
I agree here, too. But with bankspace, it won't be making P2P stuff F2P. It will be adding bankspace to both, since Jagex has to give its paying customers everything F2P gets.

As for your gaming status, I am in the same situation. My curtrent account will never be a member, but my first one might be in the future.

3/4 is probably stilll to much i say maybe every 6 months?

That's a bit selfish don't you think? :notalk: :shame: -.- . that means they only get 2 updates a year.

$5 is all we payed. So $5 gets us 50 updates while f2p gets 2? Sure jagex don't update every week, but still that's harsh. i meant once a month.

the once a month INCLUDES graphic improvements meaning that thier game experience is not increased, just the game quality.

These are projected numbers!

For econimics, Jagex must make more money through members then adverts. So if M=member's profits, and N=Non-member's profits, then that means M>N.

At that point, we find what each side pays. We know a member pays 5 bucks a month, and Non's an undifined number.M becomes member's accounts, N becomes non member PLAYERS (Not accounts!) and Y is what Non's pay through adverts. If that's true, then 5M>XY.

Now, using estimates, Nadril figures that there are 2.5 million non-member players (If more, tell me), and Members have roughly 900,000 players. In that case, 5(900,000)>2,500,000Y, or 4,500,000>2,500,000Y.

So you say...

So 4,500,000>2,500,000Y

4,500,000/2,500,000=1.8, which is>y

So a month of ads would need to be at least $1.8 dollars to match the member's profits!

So, 3 non-member's players are equal to $5.4 a month, compared to one member being 5. The lowest common denomonator (The point where both numbers can be evenly divided into a number, SP?) of those numbers is the number 135. At that point, it will take 75 Non-members to cover that price, a price that 27 members cover.

congrats to the calculations there.

but have you ever noticed that there are much more f2p than members. so the economy balances out. You guessed that there is around 3 times as much f2p players than actual members. This would mean that f2p actually gets jagex a similar amount of money than what members do.

edit: just done the calculations, members DO pay JUST more than non-members do. in fact the actual amount f2p pay is $ 4.9986 dollars every month, per 3 people. Putting to mind that more people join every day, that number will increase. As will the amount of members. Making both sides similar in money terms.

Here's a bit of math...

OK so there are a million members, so that equals $5,000,000 a month. (my bad)

let's assume that there are about 500 adverts paying runescape. lets assume that adverts change once every 5 minutes. Lets say that each advert gets Jagex a penny. I know this isn't very accurate, but it is a rough estimate.

a penny * 12 (per hour) * 24 (per day) * 30 (per moth) * 100,000 (estimated number of f2p at one given time) = 864000000 cents, or $8,640,000 a month just from adverts. WOW.

Please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. As you can see, I'm not basing this on how many f2pers are in the game cause that doesn't make sense. jus think, that would mean that every f2p account, whether online of offline, are each seeing ONE advert.

----------------------------------------------------

A note to members: why should you even care if f2p gets updates? you get them too, and it's not like a couple of updates will cover all the benifits membership gives you.

F2p 4 Lyfe

1) not everyone clicks on adds

2) THERE NOT PAYING and ads are paying. all they do is click on them

1) there are more f2p than p2p, so the amount of f2p clicking on ads is probably just higher than the amount of p2p players paying $5.

2) so if they DIDN'T CLICK ON THE ADS then the ads won't pay. so really it is the same as f2p paying. although thier not using thier own money.

If im not mistaken ad companies have to pay to put their ads up in the first place :-k

Also I have always thought that F2P diserved something every now and then. Like lets say every other month would work.

signature.png

1) theres more F2P'ers but half of them are auters and noobs... less then half of them click on the adds and yet the adds give like 1 penny ...

so noobs cannot click on advertisemets? that's a strange way to think.