Are you a synaesthete?

dusqi

You do not know how glad that I'm not passed off as a lunatic. ::'

I agree, it's harmless, and sometimes it can be beneficial, for example the guy who said that he tasted the word sour. No sour sweets ever needed again! It make me think though, is it hereditary (passed on from generation to generation)?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

That reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Homer could "hear" pudding. But anyway I saw a thing about this once on Discovery Channel or something. This guy could do phenominal arithmetic in his head because the numbers he saw in his head were shapes and colors, and the brain did the math for him, he didn't have to think.

i sometimes imagine some numbers a certain color, for example

0 = white

1 = black

2 = green

3 = light blue

4 = purple

5 = red

6 = orange

7 = dark red

8 = yellow

9 = dark blue

weird huh

That is what the person in the Discovery Channel show did.

It was featured on the Discovery Channel, the person was able to calculate Pi to the 2000'th decimal space in his head. The doctors in that show linked it to Autism (the person had fine social skills though).

Do you know any information about this disease that could link it to Autism?

3textsz2.png

< | Runehead | Learning Java Programming, Please PM Me Tips | Signature by Loaf2000 | >

Yes, this was featured on the Discovery Channel, the person was able to calculate Pi to the 2000'th decimal space in his head.

In that show the doctors linked it to Autism (the person had fine social skills though).

Autism has absolutely nothing to do with it. People aren't smart because of autism; smart people are just usually autistic because of their mental capacity and IQ.

For example: Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, etc.

Case and point: The smartest kid in your school most likely doesnt brag about it, and doesnt talk at all for the most part. He is most likely autistic.

Also, many "geeks" are also very intelligent. "Geeks" are also well known for their lacking social skills.

Also, autism doesnt always show. The person probably had autism, but alot of times its very hard to detect.

happiehour.jpeg

Nevermind, I'll answer my own question.

Although referred to as a "neurological condition", synesthesia is not listed in either the DSM-IV or the ICD classifications, since synesthesia does not, in general, interfere with normal daily functioning. Indeed most synesthetes report that their experiences are neutral, or even pleasant (Day 2005). Rather, like color blindness or perfect pitch, synesthesia is a difference in perceptual experience and is referred to as a neurological condition to reflect the brain basis of this perceptual difference. To date, no research has demonstrated a consistent association between synesthetic experience and other neurological or psychiatric conditions, although this is an active area of research (see below for associated cognitive traits).

As it says, they have found no evidence linking this to other conditions, and it does not "hurt" the person with the disease (most find it pleasant).

Here is the Wikipedia link. It is a VERY long article with a lot of information. Check it out.

3textsz2.png

< | Runehead | Learning Java Programming, Please PM Me Tips | Signature by Loaf2000 | >

Yes, this was featured on the Discovery Channel, the person was able to calculate Pi to the 2000'th decimal space in his head.

In that show the doctors linked it to Autism (the person had fine social skills though).

Autism has absolutely nothing to do with it. People aren't smart because of autism; smart people are just usually autistic because of their mental capacity and IQ.

For example: Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, etc.

Case and point: The smartest kid in your school most likely doesnt brag about it, and doesnt talk at all for the most part. He is most likely autistic.

Also, many "geeks" are also very intelligent. "Geeks" are also well known for their lacking social skills.

Also, autism doesnt always show. The person probably had autism, but alot of times its very hard to detect.

Some people do develop neurological conditions from Autism though.

I was just curious to find if it was linked to Autism being Autism is a neurological disease.

3textsz2.png

OMG! I think i'm crazy because months remind me of

January = White

February = Pink

March = Green

April = Light Blue, Light Red, Light Green

May = Red

June = Green

July = Red, White, and Blue

August = White

September = Orange

October = Black and Orange

November = Orange

December = Red and Green

also some letters remind me of colors like Red = R, Green = G

:ohnoes: :ohnoes:

Kuja_Cocoa.png

Some people do develop neurological conditions from Autism though.

I was just curious to find if it was linked to Autism being Autism is a neurological disease.

Autism is a neurological disease, but its also developmental and emotional.

You may be correct in your proposition; if there was something wrong with the neurotransmitters, than there may be something wrong with other things.

happiehour.jpeg

I dunno. I associate words with the darn strangest things. Like "share" with a fistful of french fries, or hungry with a gravel road. Does that count?

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

It make me think though, is it hereditary (passed on from generation to generation)?

Yup, there is a hereditary link. Though it's not a pure one, so if you are one, it doesn't necessarily mean that your parents/siblings/twin are - it's just more likely. In addition, if you are a word -> colour synaesthete, your parents/siblings/twin may be a different kind.

I've seen a few posts here that don't sound like synaesthesia. Firstly: synaesthesia is not merely an association - so, hearing the word 'sour' and then thinking about a sour taste is probably not synaesthesia because it's just two concepts that you have linked together. The word 'sour' usually leads to a sour taste in your mouth as you eat something sour, so soon your body prepares for the sour taste just from hearing the word. On the other hand, there are some synaesthetes who hear someone say the word 'red' and then experience green - that can't possibly be an association, because it would have been unlearned very quickly. Secondly: synaesthesia is automatic, so it happens every time.

Concerning autism, some with autism have a savant ability. This can range from being able to play music after hearing it only once, to an amazingly accurate memory, to wonderful artistic abilities without being taught. There are various theories about why this is, but as far as I know, it hasn't been shown to be related to synaesthesia, and people don't expect a link. I think that perhaps the reason for the confusion is that people with autism who can remember 30,000 digits of pi are more likely to be noticed than someone without a disability who sees colours for numbers but doesn't think anything of it.

There is an important distinction between a developmental abnormality and a developmental disability. An abnormality just means that it is unusual, synaesthesia is a developmental abnormality (obviously if it was normal, we wouldn't be talking about it). Autism is a disability.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, however, the man who can do computations in his head faster than any calculator (I forget his name) has this ability, apparently. I was watching a National Geographic episode once and when asked "how he does it" his response was that he saw certain colors (I believe?) or images in association with each number.

It's an amazing ability, that's for sure :D

punk4ever.gif

By The_Jeppoz :wink: