One line posts?

Well i'm kinda new to Tip.It but don't confuse me for a forum 'newbie' because I do have experience with forums. Anyway i've spotted a problem with the users here and it happens with other forums. It is that people care more about there post counts than what they are writing 'Quantity over Quality', although evidently not with their posts.

It's really annoying when you invest a fair bit of time into a post and nobody really writes a proper reply to your thread. For example I made a topic in the General Board about scenic area's of Runescape and what your favourite 'scenic' area was. I asked people to explain why they liked it and perhaps post a picture. Most people replied with barely one line of post citing a name of a place and no real reason why they liked it. I thought I had left plenty of room for discussion but to no avail!

I was reading about a pking tournament aswell, some guy went to the trouble of posting that he didnt like pking and wasn't going to go. Why post? In the new Video games forum I posted a thread about a game I liked, leaving ample room for discussion, some people responded with one or two line of post explaining how they didnt like the game. When I asked them to expand and elaborate on what they meant they didn't post back.

I think subconsciously we all like to post alot to have more posts to be more respected and noticed. I noticed the 'Top Ten Posters' option on the memberslist for example. But I don't think that post count is helping the forum in anyway. I think we should scrap the current post count for a 'post point' system. Now i'm not a programmer but I have seen it on a another Runescape fan site, RSboards or something? Where basically the longer your post the more "points" you get. Meaning people that post say, one line of post get 'x' amount of posts while people that post several paragraphs get more points. It would have to be worthwhile to post more indepth posts though.

This idea may seem like a challenge to the post count system as direct and provocative as the 95 theses which Luther nailed to the church door at Wittenberg. However I believe that this forum will profit with a better system making the '+1' type posts extinct from Tip.It.

Thoughts? I realise there can be faults in this idea but nothing that cannot be overcome.

It works in theory; but then you'd also have people "padding" their posts with nonsense. Every system like this ends up being abused in some form or another. Sad fact of the internet :(

A "post per point" system isn't bad. But who is going to judge what's a good post and what not? Like, if I say "Product X sucks", and people agree with it, I could get a high score, while making a low-quality post. (I should've said, I dislike product X because it gives Y and Z as a disadvantage)

An independent jury would be ineffective to give _all_ posts a good score. There are just too many posts for that.

I'd just report the people that are spamming, and the mods will be able to remove them from the forum.

Thing is, to many people do it, it's not classed as spam because it's not flaming or anything. I can't report someone, like in my post for saying something like "Lumbridge because it is pretty". That won't get removed, but it's still basically adding nothing to the discussion. See where I am going with this?

Thing is, to many people do it, it's not classed as spam because it's not flaming or anything. I can't report someone, like in my post for saying something like "Lumbridge because it is pretty". That won't get removed, but it's still basically adding nothing to the discussion. See where I am going with this?
Yea, I get what your saying, but the "good" members will put insight into their posts and actually give some decent info...I'd say my average post is 5-10 lines long...so not to shabby by me ;)

But then you could go to price checks, (just an example; one of many)...It would be possible for someone to go on and on and fluff their posts beyond 5 lines with useless info, or they could just cut to the chase, same goes for the market, there's no reason to go indepth when all you need to say is "100-500k" or "I'll but 5k, PM me in-game"

There would be a counter argument, but yes, I agree, useless posts do get very annoying at the same time... :-k

Maybe a rep system would work to solve your problem? idk...just a suggestion...

But then you could go to price checks, (just an example; one of many)...It would be possible for someone to go on and on and fluff their posts beyond 5 lines with useless info, or they could just cut to the chase, same goes for the market, there's no reason to go indepth when all you need to say is "100-500k" or "I'll but 5k, PM me in-game"

Yes but the market forums, aswell as a number of others dont add a post to your post count, the same would be for my idea. You wouldn't get any "points" for posting on the market board.

the first thing that came to mind was the phpBB cash mod, it works in a similar fashion.

http://Imtoolazytopostalink.com

It works in theory; but then you'd also have people "padding" their posts with nonsense. Every system like this ends up being abused in some form or another. Sad fact of the internet :(

It's easier just to split off spam; than try to give insentives for posting more than one line in a reply.

It is impossible (atleast in my opinion) to educate people not to write single line or substance lacking threads. On the predecessor to these forums was a 'Discussion board' meant for in-depth discussion around improvements for runescape.

Every day there was at least half a dozen new threads started which were just repeats of other posts with no depth to their argument at all. I spent several months locking every post like that which was posted and asking the users to write a decent introductory post.... none did. After several months of trying my efforts had no effect mainly due to the constant flow of new users. In the end I lost interested so stopped enforcing the lock.

I simply do not consider the average user cares enough to write quality posts.

I simply do not consider the average user cares enough to write quality posts.

Well i'm guessing you were a mod, your post seems to imply it so i'm not saying you're wrong. But I find your view a bit cynical, this community is alot better than any others out there (such as the Runescape Offical Forums). Perhaps, (and this is another thought) Post Count could be scrapped completely, I wonder what affect that would have if the Admins just got rid of it one day?

I'm just rolling off idea's here to be honest, maybe Militaris is right and some people just post on this forum because they are bored while fishing and can't really be bothered to contribute. I don't really have a clear line of argument because I don't know what affect some of the idea's (such as post point system) and abolishing the post count would have on the users.

We could end up a better community or much more like the RSO forums.

(Sorry for coming across as arrogant, I know i'm new) :oops:

For the record, and apologies for the one line post, Militaris WAS once a moderator for these forums.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Monticelso, I know you had good intent in mind with something like this, but sadly, I have come to learn that good intent without proper thinking is like trying to drive straight to where a person is and not using the proper roads. (You end up either dead or in a ditch somewhere... :lol: ...) There really is no way to manage a system like that at all without an oversize "tip.it senate" (which doesn't exist right now, BTW) that would have to read every single post on the forums, which would take years on end, and they would never finish that work. You'd find them all losing their minds far before then, seeing as this site is years old, even older than the total time I have been here (which I think is passing 1 year now...) and there are just way too many posts to go through.

I could keep ranting on this if I had the mental power and processing capability left. (Most of that got drained out of me late yesterday, don't ask why... just don't. My mind likely won't get it back for some time.)

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Defining what a "one line post" is, is another problem. One of rick's replys it one line at my current resolution, but squished down to 1024 or 800 would turn into 2 or even 3 "lines".

The removal of post count has already been hotly debated and it was kept because of whining by many (I can't find the thread :? ). The poll was also voted on by a small sample of the community, but that's what happens I guess. People would survive without it but the people screaming to keep it out numbered the people logically thinking about it.

As Mili said, teaching the community to stop posting "one line", would be near impossible because most of them just don't care. There's also the more technically inclined among us that would argue what is considered one line between multiple resolutions and text sizes, making it rather useless.

Defining what a "one line post" is, is another problem. One of rick's replys it one line at my current resolution, but squished down to 1024 or 800 would turn into 2 or even 3 "lines".

A one line post would be one which contains only a single sentence. This definition could be argued but in all reality they are considered the same thing.

the first thing that came to mind was the phpBB cash mod, it works in a similar fashion.

It's easier just to split off spam; than try to give insentives for posting more than one line in a reply.

Fine, I'll make my own MOD, it'll put a thumbs up/down rating in the corner of your posts, and people can rate your posts, good = 1 pt, bad = -1 pt. But you have to have a certain nub=mer of pts to rate.

Well the general opinion here seems to be that it would be to difficult specify and program, to be fair my idea was a little radical. As for Cruiser's post I hadn't realised an idea had been put forward to abolish post count. I imagine alot of people would whine but I think a poll would have been unecessary, most people hate change and would whinge and whine about anything but they'd soon get over it.

But reading over None2None's post again I think a rep system is a good idea, ranks could be given to players that put effort into their posts, they'd of course have had to be a part of the community for a while and recognised for their effort and time.

Fine, I'll make my own MOD, it'll put a thumbs up/down rating in the corner of your posts, and people can rate your posts, good = 1 pt, bad = -1 pt. But you have to have a certain nub=mer of pts to rate.

eh, I'm not sure that would work...all my posts, insiteful or not, would be rated badly because people disagree with them...opinions shouldn't dictate if the post is 'good' or not...

If you were to make a mod, it should give a post count based on characters munus spaces, articles, and simple words...idk...chars/100 = 1 post or something...everyone would have to be reset anyway, but it might be better...

Either that or just remove post count? :-s

Tried and failed.

Actually - if the "remove" votes were all under one option and not seperated; remove would've one by miles - but since it was split over "remove but keep in profile" and "totally remove" the "keep" vote won somehow even though remove (in some manner) won by majority :uhh:

Too many people attached to a number which means absolutely nothing to anyone with common sense to go off quality not quantity.

Tried and failed.

Actually - if the "remove" votes were all under one option and not seperated; remove would've one by miles - but since it was split over "remove but keep in profile" and "totally remove" the "keep" vote won somehow even though remove (in some manner) won by majority :uhh:

Too many people attached to a number which means absolutely nothing to anyone with common sense to go off quality not quantity.

argh...polls, I hate 'em, too easily curved...but yes, I agree, people are too attached to a post count...One idea, (though as I've seen so far people hate all my ideas...besides Runescape related ones :roll: ) would be to remove post count for a week, see how people like it, host a poll AFTER this test, and see what people thought about it...? :|

One idea, would be to remove post count for a week, see how people like it, host a poll AFTER this test, and see what people thought about it...? :|

Knowing the argumentative hell that the last attempt at removing it became, it wouldn't last long before Albosky started beating his head against the wall because of all the whining over that stupid number.

As rick said, tryed and failed, not much has changed since that last attempt either.

The irony of postcounts is that its the people that have high ones that are most vocal in trying to get it removed. The only whiners tend to be people with actually relatively low counts. Odd :-k

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

The irony of postcounts is that its the people that have high ones that are most vocal in trying to get it removed. The only whiners tend to be people with actually relatively low counts. Odd :-k

Maybe you're embarrassed to show it? :roll:

(JUST JOKING! :lol: ...)

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)