My job is fun.

Keiphus

For those of you who don't know, I work at an animation studio called Atomic Pictures. Long story short, I told you guys I would show you some pictures of the work place. Well, I haven't exactly got around to taking them yet... However, I did find some on the web that they put up from a while ago.

I guess I'll just go over some basic stuff about the different rooms and what goes on in here. For someone serious about graphics, I can't think of a better place to work. There is so much to do and although deadlines are a [bleep], it's really fun work.

flame4.jpg

Meet, Flame. This is a compositing program... Uhh... Think of it like.. Adobe Photoshop, except animated. Here you can composite multiple instances of videos, animations, and all that stuff, and compile it all into a single movie. Very powerful software. I think I was told this was around $375,000 US when he bought it brand new.

front35.jpg

front32.jpg

This is the front room when you walk in. It's so cool because everything is designed so well. There is an awesome "artsy" couch on the right hand side with some black pillows. All the walls have very clever accent colors as well. This is where the secretary sits. But that catch is, that there is no secretary. :lol: I think once a week he has an accountant come in for like an hour, and she does the work on this computer. Otherwise its mostly to look nice. And it does a good job of that. On the right is also the kitchen and stuff. Alot of awards and stuff on the walls and in cases.

meeting_room1.jpg

Whenever a project comes in, or whenever a formal meeting needs to take place, this is where it is done. Or sometimes if you just want some popcorn you can come in here and eat it. :lol: Very beautiful room with one wall covered in mirrors.

room24.jpg

This is where I work. This is actually an old picture. The broadcast monitor you see on the right isn't there anymore, and instead of that single monitor it is a dual flat panel monitor setup from dell. Huge wacom pad too. I love it.

Hopefully I can get some good pictures soon, but I don't want to ask permission to take more pictures, and I don't want to take them without asking. So I'm between a rock and a hard place. I'll get them soon though, I promise. :P

The software they use here is basically the Flame and Inferno systems. Also ALOT of Softimage XSI. Kinda wierd transitioning from Lightwave which I am used to, but I definitely like XSI much better. The character rigging is one thing I love about it. Photoshop of course is used alot, as well as Quicktime, Premiere, Imovie, and various other programs.

It's kinda funny though, because yesterday Troy asked me for some help in PS with some Alpha Channels and stuff he was having a hard time with. Strangely enough, I was able to do it where he wasn't. He's too good with the other programs though, the stuff he does is amazing. I guess he just doesn't have much time for Photoshop anymore.

As of now, I mostly do research, concept sketches, and concept models. I haven't really had a chance to actually work on a new project hands on, but that is coming soon. You gotta start somewhere, and I feel this is the best place I can.

Just thought I would make some of you cream yourselves and envy me, if I may. :P

Thanks for reading.

Looks like a fun place to work. I'm nowhere near experienced enough to get a job doing something like that other than some jobs I get from my mom who is in marketing. :)

peterstretchfn5.gif

Awesome dude. If you dont' mind me asking, how old are you?

why are you asking hes age? cant older dudes play RS? i think that su*k! my friends dad plays RS hes over 50 already, i think thats great! son and dad plying RS, if my dad was like that... :roll:

Off topic:

w4ldrange, perhaps try not to message when you don't have a clue what they are talking about? Who even said Keiph plays RS?.

I sort of wish I could one day work in that business, but that seems very unlikely. As I study at technical uni, there's little chance to integrate graphics into the studies. :(

why are you asking hes age? cant older dudes play RS? i think that su*k! my friends dad plays RS hes over 50 already, i think thats great! son and dad plying RS, if my dad was like that... :roll:

Wow..real mature. I was asking because I was interested if he was doing this as maybe an internship or was just a teen that landed a good job. If he's older that's fine too.

Wow..real mature. I was asking because I was interested if he was doing this as maybe an internship or was just a teen that landed a good job. If he's older that's fine too.

yeah i'm currious too :D

btw, awsome job keiph :) Seems like somewhere i'd wanna work lol. :P

Peter - We don't really do marketing, although most of the clients that get directed here are usually advertisers wanting some kick-[wagon] commercials. I think a marketing background would definitely help in my scenario.

Ryan - I'm 17. I'll be 18 on November 30th.

w4ldrange - Great story, I'll keep that in mind for when I'm 50.

ColAvanor - You never know. One of the guys that used to work here went to school as a major in computer science. Right now he's a lead animator on the upcoming film "Fantasic Four." I met him the other day actually, and he is charge of making Jessica Alba's invincibility smooth and good looking. Very smart guy. You never know really... It's my opinion that you should do what you love to do. Deep down I think I could be more successful in the maths and sciences, but this is where I have my fun, so I'm going to stick with it and see where it takes me.

funny_fell0w - You'd be suprised. All of the projects require alot of research. I'm going to be brave and make a possibly disturbing analogy here... It's not like an abstract. You can't just throw [cabbage] together and hope it looks good. One of the first things we do when we get a project is discuss concept. Sometimes we get storyboards that are already scripted so we put them into effect pretty easily, it's just a matter of execution. But when we do concept, we also have to come up with the initial idea. This entails studying into the clients history to find a good theme that will associate well with the material. The more information you can relate back to the client and make it more memorable the better. And that goes hand in hand with the pay. :lol: The more research and effort you put into it the more you get out of it, and the more you can charge. So there is some studying involved. Alot actually.

unknownmasterofnothing - You are correct. When I did play RS though, it was pretty much my game. :lol: I quit in January 2002 if memory serves. I was not actually hired by this company. By meeting people and asking questions when I visited different places, I was eventually introduced to the owner of this place. He gave me a shot and I have been here ever since. I work on a per-project commission type thing. Honestly I would even PAY money to be able to work here. The experience I am getting really is priceless. Venture over to CGtalk.com and places like that... Those are the people I work with everyday. It's a really amazing opportunity.

Nadril - You have no idea. ;)

Qazer - That was only for Flame. Inferno is alot more, but I didn't get nosy.

I'll try and update you guys on some projects I'll be working on.

I just got done doing alot of research for a Mexican Honey Toast commercial, but I don't think we have gotten a response on that. A client brought in some new halogen light invention and I modeled a concept for him in XSI. I was pretty pleased with it, as was Troy. I also did some concepts for an upcoming Diamond Shamrock series we will probably end up getting, hopefully I can show you guys, if not you'll see it on the air. Also, I might be getting a seperate "my job only" commission to do an Allumni presentation for a local school here, Trinity University.

Only time will tell, the Allumni thing actually looks really easy to do. :-P

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for reading. I really appreciate your input. :)

Im looking into graphic arts or something for my profession but gotta find a way to drag in more money! Currently Graphic Artists make 35k a year! :( Any Ideas?

yeah same here lol :D wheres the cash in graphics arts :P

and woow, almost 18, nice job :shock:

U are my idol man ... u;r liek an adult and u still play runescape ... u;r kewl literaly.

he doesn't play rs anymore lol :P And if u want an adult that still plays rs as an idol lol, go talk to tttia :lol: btw 18 isn't realy an adult lol.

Im looking into graphic arts or something for my profession but gotta find a way to drag in more money! Currently Graphic Artists make 35k a year! :( Any Ideas?

Be freelance, and have another job. You won't be getting as much business done, but it's enough to pay for your toys.

peterstretchfn5.gif

that place looks like it would be great to work in, and looks like its a sorta laid back enviroment, which id like to work in. only problem is the salary, im going for something more in the range of 100-150k a year(yeah i know its not really that likely, but i can dream cant i)

At 18 you'll be very lucky if you get more than ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã15k ;)

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

35k a year? :lol: That's because lazy freelancers are probably bringing down the average. I think the average bid here is about $2k a second of commercial. We just did a 60 and 30 second spot for an AIDS campaign, and I think they paid a bit under 2k per second. I think that campaign alone brought in about 150k, and it only took about a month of his time. Trust me, the money is there.

i'm 15 and in grade ten, i'm studying computer communications which is mostly design and animation, (Macromedia Flash, Photoshop, 3DS Max, and web design, and some basic video editing), I also study programming and computer engineering. I'm going to continue through all of my school years.

I already have a few years experiance in Photoshop, but I'm still nothing compared to alot of things I've seen here, although I'm not terrible.

Do you think theres any chances of me getting a job like yours in the near future? sounds like it would be so much fun :P.

Connections connections connections. Get connected. Ask questions. Meet people. Find out when stuff is happening. That's how I got this job. It wasn't necessarily based on pure skill, although that is there. :lol: It's also about work ethic and a basic understanding of alot of things.. There are so many things needed to be successful in this business. If you want a good start though, make sure to meet people, and give them a reason to remember you. (besides the wrong ones, such as hitting someone in the face, etc.)