The Soul.

Rebdragon

The idea of a "soul" has always intrigued me, but I've never understood the concept fully. I'd like to hear others' input on the concept, to get an idea of how other people view the "soul" :-k .

A few questions to consider (don't just make a post answering these questions.... their just something to think about in a discussion).

-Do souls exist? If so, what are they (in your opinion)?

-In your opinion, what is a human soul exactly? What might it be made of, or look like?

-After you die, does your soul remain an individual? Or would it be integrated into some infinitely large whole, like a mass of energy?

-Are souls exclusive to humans? Or do you entertain the idea of animals having souls, especially maybe a pet?

-If we have souls, when in evolution would we have attained them? Basically, if you believe we evolved from apes, and that apes themselves don't have "souls" (or at least have different souls than humans), when would we have attained souls during evolution?

-Do you think anything, not just living matter, can have a soul, or at least part of a soul?

-Do souls continue "living" on forever after our bodies die? Or do they go down with the body?

~~~

Again, these are just questions for a discussion, don't turn this into an "answer the questions straight up and leave" thread.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

The general 'soul' people think of is the mental part of you. Like your spirt when you go to 'heaven' or become a 'ghost'.

Me personally dont believe in souls, but life is just a combination of different quanities of elements at exact circumstances. Then the cells and whatnot evolve around to make it fitting. (like a fish-to-be molecule evolves fins because it lives in the water)

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Many well known philosophers submit to the idea of the soul, and you can't go anywhere talking about the "mind" and "body" without having the "soul" tied to the end.

I've heard that it's the passionate side of you... but I don't really understand it. It just doesn't make logical sense for us to have like a soul that goes to heaven when you look at the rest of the world and history. We go to heaven, but other living organisms don't? There can't be some fine line for when the soul just appeared in our species either... but so many people submit to the idea, that it'd be interesting to hear the logic behind it.

I believe that there are no such things as souls, they sound like superstition.

Dieng is like sleeping, you don't even know your sleeping and all your senses aren't working.

"I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally." -W. C. Fields

Soul is your thoughts and morals, not a purple yin-yang ball inside your heart. It could be difficult for some animals to have a "soul" without being able to think for theirselves, relying purely on instict. Humans don't necessarily have to only rely on instict.

If you experience a very positive thing, your "soul" may become more positive. If you kill a person under extreme pressure, your "soul" may become corrupted. Your thoughts and morals could change based on what you do or were forced to do in life.

I personally don't believe that anything has a soul.

However, if souls did exist, I would think of themas a function of the brain, applicable to all life.

The 'soul' as such would evolove through our experiences and emotions

in life, and when we die, it would cease to exist as such.

Communism is not fit for humans. We are not good enough for it.

Tip.It is officially Red. o.0

So, would you guys say that the soul is just our moral side, so it's not like the thing that ascends to "Heaven"? (which is such as bs idea...) Basically, has everyone that's posted believe either souls don't exist, or that they go down when you die, with your body?

Good question, I think it in part excists. I know how a cell works and how interactions between molecules can let cells divide and communicateÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ but what intermolecular action is responsible for me thinking of a random number... say 5,621? I just said that aloud, and without any purpose. What let me do that, it had no evolutionary purpose. Interesting question.

On a more definitive note, I don't believe in Seoul. No way can a city have 10,297,004 people and be in South Korea.

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Soul is your thoughts and morals, not a purple yin-yang ball inside your heart. It could be difficult for some animals to have a "soul" without being able to think for theirselves, relying purely on instict. Humans don't necessarily have to only rely on instict.

If you experience a very positive thing, your "soul" may become more positive. If you kill a person under extreme pressure, your "soul" may become corrupted. Your thoughts and morals could change based on what you do or were forced to do in life.

Now, when you say thoughts and morals, do you mean morals integrated into ourselves since birth, or morals that we gain in life? :-k

And trap, I'm not sure I get the "5,621" connection to souls. Maybe to the mind, but the soul and mind are generally seperated in philosophy.

Now, when you say thoughts and morals, do you mean morals integrated into ourselves since birth, or morals that we gain in life? :-k

And trap, I'm not sure I get the "5,621" connection to souls. Maybe to the mind, but the soul and mind are generally seperated in philosophy.

I'd tend to agree with BlueLancer there with the idea that morality is synonomous to our soul. In reference to the evolution of a soul or our morals, some ascribe to the theory (my self included) that morality is a mechanism to facilitate evolution as it promotes the strength and longevity of the species.

On the contrary I believe. The famous question is called is the mind-body problem, not the soul-body problem. The soul and the conscious mind are generally conceived to be the same thing, at least in the Philosophy classes that I have taken.

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Thoughts and morals can easily just be explained as being thoughts from the brain. My morals are for the most part pretty logical, and I don't feel at all like they could be tied to a soul. Not to say I don't think it exists, I just don't think it serves as that purpose. If we do have souls, I don't think they have any connection with our thoughts/brain whatsoever. I'd view them as being locked inside our bodies until we die, to be freed for heaven/judgment/whatever. I'm still pretty undecided on the whole concept though.

Imo a soul has recorded everything you've done all your life and when you get to heaven God judges it and see if you have lived a good life. If you have lived a good life you get into heaven, but if you lived a sinful life you go to hell.

That's just my opinion within my religon (christian\chatholic)

Quit RuneScape :)

"go to h3ll" needs to be bleeped out now? :-s

Seems like Tip.it is cracking down on everything from generally non-insulting phrases to Edward Elric.

Seems like we're getting varying opinions on souls :-k . I personally believe that souls are energy within us, and that when we die that energy is released from the body and integrated into a universal energy, my view of "God" if you suppose. It'd be like going to Heaven, or being with God, but being those two things at the exact same time.

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we are the imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.

- Bill Hicks.

The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question, is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride... And we... kill those people.

- Bill Hicks

Just thought I'd post a few quotes of Bill Hicks. I think it ties in with what someone else said. :? Nevermind, I just rekon he was the best comedian ever and had a lot of interesting thoughts on a lot of topics.