Tigra00

So, they think they found Jesus' tomb...

I used the site for entertainment. The only part that ticked me off is they attempted to put this 'evidence' into a bill that would ban the teaching of evolution.

Back on the supposed Jesus tomb, It seems to me as another example of christians unwavering belief in the absolute word of the bible. Why couldn't Jesus' body and spirit rise to heavan figuratively? Why couldn't we just back off from thinking the words in the bible are like some unbreakable law? Seriously, if you can answer these questions, you're welcomed to.

If you read about the ascension it's not very likely that it was figuratively speaking. It would be an interpretation in which you assumed that Jesus body must be in a tomb somewhere. To me you can't compromise with the Bible, either it's the truth or it's nothing but a couple of well-written stories.

I don't want this to turn into another Bible thread... but it's not like you have to be a fundamentalist to agree with the Bible. You can see the deeper meanings and not take it literally, and thus still believe in it :-s .

I believe this falls into the category of "STOP THINKING THAT TO BE A CHRISTIAN YOU HAVE TO BE A FRIKKIN' EXTREME FUNDAMENTALIST!!!".

Oh, and 'kay Warrior, I get what you're saying :P .

Well, I'm not saying that you can't be a christian without being a fundamentalist. However, I don't think the Bible makes any sense unless it's the truth.

Not true, if the bible is totally true then the Earth is flat, the Sun orbits it and it's the center of a tiny universe, look at this:

http://www.fixedearth.com/

The Bible can't be held accountable for deluded people who misinterpret the Bible.

untitledyw7.png

Back on the supposed Jesus tomb, It seems to me as another example of christians unwavering belief in the absolute word of the bible. Why couldn't Jesus' body and spirit rise to heavan figuratively? Why couldn't we just back off from thinking the words in the bible are like some unbreakable law? Seriously, if you can answer these questions, you're welcomed to.

If you read about the ascension it's not very likely that it was figuratively speaking. It would be an interpretation in which you assumed that Jesus body must be in a tomb somewhere. To me you can't compromise with the Bible, either it's the truth or it's nothing but a couple of well-written stories.

I don't want this to turn into another Bible thread... but it's not like you have to be a fundamentalist to agree with the Bible. You can see the deeper meanings and not take it literally, and thus still believe in it :-s .

I believe this falls into the category of "STOP THINKING THAT TO BE A CHRISTIAN YOU HAVE TO BE A FRIKKIN' EXTREME FUNDAMENTALIST!!!".

Well, I'm not saying that you can't be a christian without being a fundamentalist. However, I don't think the Bible makes any sense unless it's the truth.

Not true, if the bible is totally true then the Earth is flat, the Sun orbits it and it's the center of a tiny universe, look at this:

The Bible can't be held accountable for deluded people who misinterpret the Bible.

I agree, they are at fault for being obviously wrong and misguided, but how would you interpret this statement:

"The world also is stablished that it cannot be moved." Psalm 93:1

These people are deluded and docile puppets, but the literature they follow is partly to blame in that is states as clear as day to never question your faith in god's word.

I agree, they are at fault for being obviously wrong and misguided, but how would you interpret this statement:

These people are deluded and docile puppets, but the literature they follow is partly to blame in that is states as clear as day to never question your faith in god's word.

Here's a rather extensive Q&A:

http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/2178

Basically you can't just put your nose in a book and make all your conclusions from there. Look at the world around you and you will understand more about what's written in the Bible.

untitledyw7.png

Here's a rather extensive Q&A:

http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/2178

Basically you can't just put your nose in a book and make all your conclusions from there. Look at the world around you and you will understand more about what's written in the Bible.

Of course you shouldn't get all of your conclusions of life from a book. That dosen't stop some people doing it though.

It was inevitable that this thread would degenerate into yet another religion good-bad debate, considering the subject matter and who the author of the thread is.

Back on topic, it's a sweet piece of archaeology and you should stop getting whiny about other people's beliefs- its as bad as activist vegans telling me i should stop eating meat.

its as bad as activist vegans telling me i should stop eating meat.

I'm not a vegan and never will be, but at least I acknowledge they are morally superior to me in that sense, nothing wrong with that. Some vegans just eat stuff they grow themselves, I eat killed animals (which is natural though, but the vegan causes less bad than I do).

Can you somehow tell me how both me, the meat-eater and the vegan are on equal moral grounds? Because we're not. But I don't personally care.

---------------------------------------------------------------

On topic about the tomb: It doesn't matter if it's "proven" Jesus' tomb and it contains 20 children that share his DNA, extremely religious people would dismiss it as a "hoax".

Just treat it as an archeological find even if it's not "the" Jesus :)

Why look for the tomb of Jesus when it's been stated for a long time that he's not there.
You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene' date=' who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here.[/quote']
To prove the Bible wrong?

You shouldn't try to prove things wrong, you should seek the truth.

Your last sentence makes no sense. The easiest way to seek the truth is to prove things wrong.

Actually according to my world view the truth = Jesus as he says: "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." Thus (implied) the easiest way to seek the truth is to seek Jesus and you will not find him in the tomb.

How do you know that the Bible is the truth? If it is, how do you know that Jesus is saying the truth? And even if Jesus did say that, how do you know that the part of the Bible talking about the resurrection, etc. is true? Jesus may have been in that tomb...

Losers...

Are you blind or ignoring me on purpose?

Even though I sometimes side with religious people in some debates, I no longer consider myself religious.

I think it is some hoax for publcity or some Davinci Code psychos like someone said on the first page. But I would not say impossible they found the Dead Sea Scrolls went on field trip to see (boring just a piece of small paper, with a lot of history). Their also is a place inn Ethiopia where this guy guards a church and behind the curtain is the Ark of the Covenant that is a hoax definetly, some moron would just kill the guy and steal it.

Loi86.png

Why look for the tomb of Jesus when it's been stated for a long time that he's not there.
You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene' date=' who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here.[/quote']

Your last sentence makes no sense. The easiest way to seek the truth is to prove things wrong.

Actually according to my world view the truth = Jesus as he says: "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." Thus (implied) the easiest way to seek the truth is to seek Jesus and you will not find him in the tomb.

How do you know that the Bible is the truth? If it is, how do you know that Jesus is saying the truth? And even if Jesus did say that, how do you know that the part of the Bible talking about the resurrection, etc. is true? Jesus may have been in that tomb...

How do you it's not the truth? It's a question of beliefs.

untitledyw7.png

It's a book that has lots of incredible parts in it.

TBH, I don't believe they found Jesus' body. I don't think anyone will ever find it.

He is inclined to conclude that it's not the truth because the bible has a lot of stories which have been found to be scientifically illogical or incosistant with nature. You are inclined to conclude it is the truth because you want it to be.

He is inclined to conclude that it's not the truth because the bible has a lot of stories which have been found to be scientifically illogical or incosistant with nature. You are inclined to conclude it is the truth because you want it to be.

How do you know science is the truth? How do you know logic is correct?

untitledyw7.png

Are you sure you wish to go down that line. It implies the universe has no order and is chaos if both science and logic are wrong, which is contrary to the idea of a creator.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Would you say nature is wrong or lying to us? That's where we get proof from. It's not wrong because it's all we have i.e. it's the most objectively true/right thing you can get.

Would you say nature is wrong or lying to us? That's where we get proof from. It's not wrong because it's all we have i.e. it's the most objectively true/right thing you can get.

I'm saying that you also have beliefs as I do.

untitledyw7.png

Science is not a belief. It's not based on faith like your views are. It's based on logical reasoning and what we can all clearly objectively see from nature.

Here's a belief: You should stop letting your beliefs get in the way of science.

Sorry if this offends anyone but this is the same thing as a mexican finding the virigin mary in their toast.

Your name is "bet you fail", and you're starting a business with your mom? I'm not even going to touch that.....

Science is not a belief. It's not based on faith like your views are. It's based on logical reasoning and what we can all clearly objectively see from nature.

Here's a belief: You should stop letting your beliefs get in the way of science.

Well you need to believe in the theory of empiricism to believe in science as "a central concept in science and the scientific method is that all evidence must be empirical, or empirically based."

untitledyw7.png

Well you need to believe in the theory of empiricism to believe in science as "a central concept in science and the scientific method is that all evidence must be empirical, or empirically based."

Explain to me another objectively viable source of knowlege other than empricism.

Explain to me another objectively viable source of knowlege other than empricism.

Why? That's irrelevant.

untitledyw7.png

Why? That's irrelevant.

Why, because you can't?

Why? That's irrelevant.

Why, because you can't?

I need a valid reason.

untitledyw7.png

Why? That's irrelevant.

Why, because you can't?

I need a valid reason.

Do you even want your position to have credibility or are you just not able to explain to me another objectively viable source of knowlege other than empricism?