So, they think they found Jesus' tomb...

Tigra00

It's idiots who actually believed that Dan Brown was presenting an alternate scenario to the Christian religion, even though the man himself said it's just fiction, that indirectly barred me from seeing the movie. But at least I got my hands on the book.

style1,Continuum.png

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably a hoax no doubt.

And second, Jesus rose from the dead so I don't think his body would be down there.

Can you prove that statement? While I can't prove he didn't, you cant prove he did, and if this tomb is to be believed - he didn't. People just don't seem to get the odds that it ISN'T Jesus' tomb. Yes, Mary was a common name. 25% of women were apparently named Mary. 4% of men were apparently named Jesus. I'm sure even more were named Joseph. I'm sure even more were named Josia. But you you cut it back down to Mary of Magdala, a town on the Western shore of Galilee, and then shove "Jesus, son of Joseph" and "Joseph" all into the same tomb, implying they were family, throw in a child of the two...The chances of it being a coincidence are quite small.

Religious people, of all people, love to say how small the chances are that evolution ever happened, but why are the chances of this being fake immediately 100%? Because the Bible says it can't possibly be true? What if the Bible is wrong? What if the Bible is just a story? Apparently unthinkable to you.

And Merc, if this wasn't thought to be Jesus' tomb, it wouldn't be a very good find at all. :P It'd just be some random Jews in a tomb...Not too exciting to the world, aye? :P

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

If you think about it, how can anyone be sure that (1) Jesus existed

If you doubt the existence of Jesus then you doubt the existence of any other historical figure.

How do you get at that?

erm...because historians wrote about him. what insane meant was that if there are histories written about Jesus, and if they are false, then how are histories written about any other historical figure in the past true?

Jesus was 33 years old when he died. Joseph was already dead, probably also gone up to Heaven, but he didn't ascend, his remains stayed on Earth.

No Joseph couldnt have been in heaven...the gates of heven were opoened AFTER Jesus died.

If you think about it, how can anyone be sure that (1) Jesus existed

If you doubt the existence of Jesus then you doubt the existence of any other historical figure.

How do you get at that?

Majorty of them belived in Jesus etc.

It's a very interesting find, but obviously no proof either way. It's obvious, Christians where going to put this 100% down too a coincidence or a hoax, were as athiests are generally more understanding of the situation and while we don't beleive he acended to heaven we don't 100% beleive that these are his bones and body. Could be hoax, coincidence or real. Do they have any possible date as to when they died?

Also for the people who keep saying "Well it's obviously false, the bible says Jesus acended" you're arguments are intrinsic and have no value.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

It's a very interesting find, but obviously no proof either way. It's obvious, Christians where going to put this 100% down too a coincidence or a hoax, were as athiests are generally more understanding of the situation and while we don't beleive he acended to heaven we don't 100% beleive that these are his bones and body.

OMG, really~! Atheists are so awesome and so dreamy and so pretty

*sigh*

2.) Jesus was from Nazareth, which is 60 miles away from Jerusalem. (He did travel though, so that hardly matters.)

I thought he could fly?

tipitsignatureyu1.jpg

How many 'scapers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

1 to screw it in and 49 to complain how better it was before.

Was signed,Kioh Twan

2.) Jesus was from Nazareth, which is 60 miles away from Jerusalem. (He did travel though, so that hardly matters.)

I thought he could fly?

:lol: Yeeeea.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Why look for the tomb of Jesus when it's been stated for a long time that he's not there.
You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene' date=' who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here.[/quote']
To prove the Bible WRONG?

You shouldn't try to prove things wrong, you should seek the truth.

Can't argue with that. That's all I'll say on that. :anxious:

But trying to find out what is and isn't Truth is seeking Truth :lol: .

If there weren't so many alternative motivations for doing something like this, I'd probably be more open to the idea. Right now though it just seems like a hoax :? .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

It really annoys me that peoplehave to bring in bunk religious theories into such an amazing archeological find. Why not just accept that its an incredible find as it is without trying to convince people its Jesus?

I completely agree.

3898000bYVcx.png

Why look for the tomb of Jesus when it's been stated for a long time that he's not there.
You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene' date=' who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here.[/quote']

If there weren't so many alternative motivations for doing something like this, I'd probably be more open to the idea. Right now though it just seems like a hoax :? .

I didn't want to aid in the derailment of this thread, but I was referring to those who constantly try to disprove evolution and an old earth etc. It's negative proof and isn't even scientific. Sure, truth can be uncovered when something else is disproven, but in science this dosent happen via a belief or having an agenda to keep.

Back on the supposed Jesus tomb, It seems to me as another example of christians unwavering belief in the absolute word of the bible. Why couldn't Jesus' body and spirit rise to heavan figuratively? Why couldn't we just back off from thinking the words in the bible are like some unbreakable law? Seriously, if you can answer these questions, you're welcomed to.

I didn't want to aid in the derailment of this thread, but I was referring to those who constantly try to disprove evolution and an old earth etc. It's negative proof and isn't even scientific. Sure, truth can be uncovered when something else is disproven, but in science this dosent happen via a belief or having an agenda to keep.

Back on the supposed Jesus tomb, It seems to me as another example of christians unwavering belief in the absolute word of the bible. Why couldn't Jesus' body and spirit rise to heavan figuratively? Why couldn't we just back off from thinking the words in the bible are like some unbreakable law? Seriously, if you can answer these questions, you're welcomed to.

Also for the people who keep saying "Well it's obviously false, the bible says Jesus acended" you're arguments are intrinsic and have no value.

God took Jesus and Mary straight up to Heaven so they wouldn't undergo the corruption of death.

Look, it's not like I haven't thought about the fact that Jesus Christ might've not been the Son of God, but I believe that he was. Why? Because my faith is strong, which sounds really corny, but it's true.

style1,Continuum.png

What do you mean by "my faith is strong"? You beleive in something because you have faith in something. Faith is nothing, i don't see why anyone would see it as a credible reason for anything at all.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

God took Jesus and Mary straight up to Heaven so they wouldn't undergo the corruption of death.

Look, it's not like I haven't thought about the fact that Jesus Christ might've not been the Son of God, but I believe that he was. Why? Because my faith is strong, which sounds really corny, but it's true.

Theres nothing wrong with that, it's just people may be touchy at the way you word your belief. Of course you would realise a belief is not the truth, correct? That's why some people who don't share your belief may be a bit touchy.

If you read about the ascension it's not very likely that it was figuratively speaking. It would be an interpretation in which you assumed that Jesus body must be in a tomb somewhere. To me you can't compromise with the Bible, either it's the truth or it's nothing but a couple of well-written stories.

untitledyw7.png

If you read about the ascension it's not very likely that it was figuratively speaking. It would be an interpretation in which you assumed that Jesus body must be in a tomb somewhere. To me you can't compromise with the Bible, either it's the truth or it's nothing but a couple of well-written stories.

I don't want this to turn into another Bible thread... but it's not like you have to be a fundamentalist to agree with the Bible. You can see the deeper meanings and not take it literally, and thus still believe in it :-s .

I believe this falls into the category of "STOP THINKING THAT TO BE A CHRISTIAN YOU HAVE TO BE A FRIKKIN' EXTREME FUNDAMENTALIST!!!".

Oh, and 'kay Warrior, I get what you're saying :P .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I don't want this to turn into another Bible thread... but it's not like you have to be a fundamentalist to agree with the Bible. You can see the deeper meanings and not take it literally, and thus still believe in it :-s .

I believe this falls into the category of "STOP THINKING THAT TO BE A CHRISTIAN YOU HAVE TO BE A FRIKKIN' EXTREME FUNDAMENTALIST!!!".

Well, I'm not saying that you can't be a christian without being a fundamentalist. However, I don't think the Bible makes any sense unless it's the truth. I don't see any point in living by a book that have some good points but it's really just a bunch of stories that anyone could have written. And you can pick what you like about it and just ignore the rest.

untitledyw7.png

Blind faith has absolutley no value. It's just like me beleiving in anything because it's my opinion and then taking it be be fact. Faith is nothing, arguing against an atheist with an intrinsic argument is worthless. The only things we have as humans is experimentation and reason, blindly following something because you have faith which goes against those two things is illogical. Blind faith is illogical and worthless. It doesn't activley do anything, it leads to people who back their opinion up with faith making them beleive that it is fact, which is dangerous as proved throughout history.

Signature3.gif

It all started with a common man who claimed to find the temple. He's getting fame and fortune for it. Hmm...

Its quite easy to dig a hole in a wall, make it look a little old, and sign names on it.

How do they know it was Jesus there? Did they see graffiti "Jesus wuz Here"?

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

It all started with a common man who claimed to find the temple. He's getting fame and fortune for it. Hmm...

Its quite easy to dig a hole in a wall, make it look a little old, and sign names on it.

How do they know it was Jesus there? Did they see graffiti "Jesus wuz Here"?

Maybe you should read the posts.

- Me!

Well, I'm not saying that you can't be a christian without being a fundamentalist. However, I don't think the Bible makes any sense unless it's the truth.

Not true, if the bible is totally true then the Earth is flat, the Sun orbits it and it's the center of a tiny universe, look at this:

http://www.fixedearth.com/

Well, I'm not saying that you can't be a christian without being a fundamentalist. However, I don't think the Bible makes any sense unless it's the truth.

Not true, if the bible is totally true then the Earth is flat, the Sun orbits it and it's the center of a tiny universe, look at this:

http://www.fixedearth.com/

Excuse me everyone while I find a dumpster to throw up in. This web site truley disgusts me and is a clear example of how damaging blind faith can be that Satenza alluded to.

I'm writing this sentence to myself to take a deep breath and not let my head explode in a sea of anger and fury. Calm. Blue. Ocean.

Sorry. :oops: