So, they think they found Jesus' tomb...

Tigra00

I was watchin' CNN about the new Discovery Channel documentary on in 2 or 3 days about the people who apparently believe they've discovered Jesus' tomb (well, the entire family) out by Jerusalem or somethin'. I was just wondering what all the religious and non-religious people though about this.

So far, from what I understand, there are arguments for an against it which both make sense...

Against it:

1.) Obviously can't prove it's Jesus with DNA, because there is no sample of Jesus' DNA on record.

2.) Jesus was from Nazareth, which is 60 miles away from Jerusalem. (He did travel though, so that hardly matters.)

3.) Names on the tomb were "common" names back then.

For it:

1.) The enscriptions on the tomb says "Jesus, son of Joseph" along with "Mary Magdalene", "Joseph" and what is believed to be Jesus' and Mary's child, which I believe they said was named "Josia" or something.

2.) As common as the names were, the chances of them all being in the same tomb, with "Jesus" and "Mary" not being a genetic match is very small.

3.) Mary and Jesus' DNA did not match, meaning the bodies in the tomb were married, not related.

4.) I didn't hear any word on this, but it could easily be dismissed by them testing the child with Jesus' and Mary's DNA, if they match, it's their child and further supports it (but doesn't prove it), but if they don't match, it debunks it pretty much right away. However, the chances of it NOT being their child are very small, considering that they were the only "Parents" in the tomb...I believe they said Joseph was in it too, but I could be mistaken, and even if he was, he would have been a grand parent.

What do ya'll think about this? Obviously, it would always be speculation and circumstancial evidence and could never be fully proven that it is THE Jesus and THE Mary, but if it were "true" in the sense that it could be proven, it would rock the foundations of the Christian faith, seeing as the entire religion is based around the physical ressurection and ascension into Heaven of Jesus Christ, and...Umm, Jesus' body in the tomb was still there. So if it were to be him, it would mean Christianity is bunk. Of course, like I said, though, it can never be proven it is actually THE Jesus...But the chances that all these people were buried together and had NOTHING to do with the other family of the same names is very small.

My views are this - I think it's odd that right away there were Christians freaking out saying that there was NO WAY it was the same Jesus and that it was just a big ole' fraud. However, if they found this tomb and everyone's body was there, but Jesus' body was gone, they'd be praising it and worshipping it as "proof" of the entire story being true. It's like how people believe this is a bunk story, but people still believe the Shroud of Turin is absolutely real. Noone finds it odd, for example, the the image on the cloth looks JUST like the paintings of Jesus which were not made at ANY time even close to when Jesus was alive. Noone knows what Jesus looked like, not even the original painter, yet the image on the cloth looks JUST like what we depict as Jesus, and we know it's a fraud due to it's age anyways.

*Shrug* What do you think about it?

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a hoax, it's been done before.

There's documentaries all about the Spear of Destiny but no proof whatsoever that it was used to kill Christ.

What DNA do we have to say it's Christ anyways? It opens up many more doors of doubt than it closes.

I am sure Christ's tomb is out there somewhere, you just won't find his DNA there.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Probably a hoax, it's been done before.

There's documentaries all about the Spear of Destiny but no proof whatsoever that it was used to kill Christ.

What DNA do we have to say it's Christ anyways? It opens up many more doors of doubt than it closes.

I am sure Christ's tomb is out there somewhere, you just won't find his DNA there.

Like I said, they can never prove it's "his" DNA, they can only say his and the "Mary" body were not a match, thus that they were married. If they were related, for example, it would make the whole thing pointless.

I'm not even saying it's proof of anything, I'm personally just saying it's very curious that religious people will be so quick to dismiss it, but they'll believe in a stupid peice of cloth that's obviously fake, carbon dating or no, and if Jesus' body wasn't in this tomb, they would be saying it's proof. Ya' know.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

I doubt that it is the tomb of the Jesus. What about families that were such devout Christians that they all chose to name themselves as 'Jesus' and 'Mary' etc.?

What about carbon dating? Has anyone tried that?

Also, did they find a skull in the Jesus tomb? If so, they could actually recreate his face and with DNA traces, they could find eye and hair colour too.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I'd imagine they didn't find any remains in there as it would be incongruent with his whole ascension to heaven thing.

I suppose my view on this is natural pessimism, it would be cool if it was true, but with the huge number of hoaxers and profiteers willing to abuse people's faith for a quick *insert monetary unit* means that suspicion is required.

As the graveyard posters would undoubtedly say "no messiah pic, no proof" :lol:

Imagine if they found DNA and cloned Jebus :P

that would make a good film...

oh wait...

Lol, beat me to it :P .

Anyways, this is probably some hoax or publicity stunt... maybe some Davinci Code psychos did it.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Anyways, this is probably some hoax or publicity stunt... maybe some Davinci Code psychos did it.

I resent that... The Davinci Code is a work of fiction, and is not meant to be taken seriously. It makes me sick that people get so crazy and wound up over a book that was only meant to be for entertainment. It's not there to present alternate possibilities to Christian ideals and values. In my humble opinion, this book has recieve too much bad press already, and thats not fair to both the author and the novel.

Hitman247m.png

Not to mention that Roman records clearly state Christ's execution. We know he died on the Cross. Whether or not you believe he rose is up to you. But this whole Dan Brown nonsense is simply not plausible.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Why look for the tomb of Jesus when it's been stated for a long time that he's not there.
You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene' date=' who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here.[/quote']
To prove the Bible WRONG?
sig5235ro7.jpg

I resent that... The Davinci Code is a work of fiction, and is not meant to be taken seriously.

Have you actually ever listened to Dan Brown talk about it?

Anyway, I guess there's as much 'concrete' evidence that this is Jesus' tomb as there is that he existed in the first place. Make what you will of that.

Not trying to knock anyone's belief in saying that. I mean concrete as in physical evidence.

Why look for the tomb of Jesus when it's been stated for a long time that he's not there.
You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene' date=' who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here.[/quote']

You shouldn't try to prove things wrong, you should seek the truth.

untitledyw7.png

Fully implied that the Bible is said truth, right? Nice to see people are always looking at both sides of the story...

Anyways, noone is saying Jesus did not exist or that Jesus was not executed on the cross. There are apparently records that he existed, and crucifixtion was a rather common manner of execution at the time. What is being said is that if that is indeed *THE* Jesus' tomb, and his body is in there, that the entire Christian religion is false, because they base it all around Jesus' resurrection and ascension into Heaven. If his body is in there...Obviously he never rose and ascended.

The only problem is that you could never be 100% sure it is *THE* Jesus. It'd be a very large coincidence if a family with the same names were all buried in the same tomb, but all evidence saying it is *THE* Jesus is speculation and circumstantial. My point was that I just found it funny how quickly Christians dismissed it as fake, but they'll believe in obviously fake things (Shroud of Turin) just because it proves their faith right, and if this tomb was found, opened, and Jesus' body was gone, they'd be raving it was proof instead of saying it's just a coincidence.

- Me!

To prove the Bible wrong?

Your last sentence makes no sense. The easiest way to seek the truth is to prove things wrong.

Losers...

Are you blind or ignoring me on purpose?

Even though I sometimes side with religious people in some debates, I no longer consider myself religious.

'kay. They definitely didn't find his remains.

1) How in the name of God did those inscriptions survive until today? They might have survived if they were inscribed in stone, but Jesus and his followers were poor. It would've been woodenness if he was buried, which definitely didn't survive until today.

2) Jesus was taken by God to sit at His right hand forty days after His Resurrection in the Ascension. Mary was taken to Heaven the same way.

style1,Continuum.png

1) How in the name of God did those inscriptions survive until today? They might have survived if they were inscribed in stone, but Jesus and his followers were poor. It would've been woodenness if he was buried, which definitely didn't survive until today.

2) Jesus was taken by God to sit at His right hand forty days after His Resurrection in the Ascension. Mary was taken to Heaven the same way.

Chisel + rock found on the ground = cheaper than a slab of wood.

Also, keep in mind we're going on a scientific viewpoint here...

On the flip side, it's been proven that women are probably better mothers

Yes I have balls, but they melted.

It's only 2,000 years. The inscriptions were pretty worn, but they were readable. It was etched into stone.

And secondly, why do people keep using the Bible as proof that this isn't *THE* Jesus' tomb? What's being implied here is that the Bible is wrong. Using the Bible as proof in an argument is like slamming your head in the fridge...It doesn't make sense and people who see it go "Oooow...Why did he do THAT?!"

- Me!

Okay, okay, so I'm wrong about the worn away inscription thing.

But that interpretation of the Bible is just stupid. It's not the Bible alone, it's a dogma of Christianity. It's basically one of the foundations. The assumption that Jesus' and Mary's remains are not and never were on this Earth is part of the Christian faith.

Yes, it's true the Bible isn't a very good account, but you can't say it's all wrong.

style1,Continuum.png