rockband vs. guitar hero 4

nickeley102

so i just bought rock band (it was released recently here) and its awesome. me and my friends have made it up to act 10 twice but we dont have a memory card and some funny person in our flat is turning the playstation off.

we really just want to unlock hysteria by muse, but we dont know how far we have to go to unlock it, its annoying, but in a fun way

anyway, since i bought rockband 2 sets of my friends have been looking into buying guitar hero 4 saying its way better, even though it will cost them twice as much. they say the song list is way better (this doesnt matter to me, i pretty much just bought it for hysteria)

(i think you pay more for more wirelessness, an extra drum piece and better songs)

despite them being so similar, have you played these games? what is your verdict

NICKELEY102.png

I have tried both. My brother has it, and I've been at my parent's not too long ago. My friend has both Rock Band and Rock Band 2.

As far as I saw, RockBand has a better songlist, as those I saw on GH4, while still being rock, what I saw of it was only old songs. It's good songs, but I prefer more recent songs and made by true rock bands. Also, in GH4, the difference between the difficulty levels is HUGE.

Guitar hero all the way.

People, don't complain about the songlist, you can make your own songs, and download others. If you want a song, and it's fairly popular, I'm pretty sure it will have/can be made by someone.

Making songs is epic.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Rock band, it just feels more complete. Plus, the Rock Band DLC destroys anything Guitar Hero does.

Sure, Guitar hero may have some good songs now, but Rock Band has weekly DLC! It's much better. Full Peace Sells Album by Megadeth, Moving Pictures by Rush, Screaming for Vengeance by Judas priest. Just so much DLC.

Put this way, with Rock Band 1+2 and all the DLC there are over 500 songs for the game available.

People, don't complain about the songlist, you can make your own songs, and download others. If you want a song, and it's fairly popular, I'm pretty sure it will have/can be made by someone.

Making songs is epic.

The song creation sucks in Guitar hero.

I agree with Nadril about the DLC. It's incredible, if Harmonix had released a game with just DLC they would still walk all over Guitar Hero. Almost all I play now is DLC! There are amazing bands like The Who, Rush, Megadeth, RHCP, Nine Inch Nails, A7X, Dead Kennedys, and so many more. I also don't like the World Tour set list at all, at least for guitar. The only fun songs are Trapped Under Ice, Satch Boogie, Hot For Teacher, and Mr. Crowley (Mr. C is probably my favorite GH song ever).

Making songs is epic.

No, making songs really is amazing. It's all I've been doing for the past few days. The instruments sound too synthesized and you can't have vocals (which might be a blessing in disguise), but otherwise it's so much fun. I'm working on a song right now that will (hopefully) blow away everything I've seen from others so far, except for the Banjo Kazooie Theme, which was just epic. Until it got taken off GHtunes for copyright lol.

I prefer GH overall. Still can't stand the [bleep]ing square notes in RB and the instruments are still really terrible IMO. The song list does beat WT's, and the DLC blows it out of the water, but I prefer fewer good and challenging charts to a crapload of stuff that I can sightread FC. I passed Visions on my first try with no sound ffs.

p2gq.jpg

Making songs is epic.

No, making songs really is amazing. It's all I've been doing for the past few days. The instruments sound too synthesized and you can't have vocals (which might be a blessing in disguise), but otherwise it's so much fun. I'm working on a song right now that will (hopefully) blow away everything I've seen from others so far, except for the Banjo Kazooie Theme, which was just epic. Until it got taken off GHtunes for copyright lol.

I prefer GH overall. Still can't stand the [bleep] square notes in RB and the instruments are still really terrible IMO. The song list does beat WT's, and the DLC blows it out of the water, but I prefer fewer good and challenging charts to a crapload of stuff that I can sightread FC. I passed Visions on my first try with no sound ffs.

And I 4 starred Satch Boogie on my sightread.

Rock Band wins in the long run, because World Tour won't be able to keep up with the constant flow of DLC, we just got 10 new songs on Tuesday. That's 8.4% of the entire WT setlist in one day.

To the contrary, I can't stand GH's circle notes and it's annoying sounds everytime you miss a note. Also, I really don't like how when you get "Starpower" there's a huge lightning bolt that comes down and distracts you. GH:WT is a disaster for drums. The bass line is like a reptile and camouflages with the background, forcing you to squint tremendously just to be able to see clearly. Sure, the overall difficultly of the note charts in GH:WT is harder than that of Rock Band, but with a humungous timing and hit window to hit those notes, it's pretty much pointless (hitting the notes even when you're offbeat). The stratocaster has two fret buttons, one near the neck and one near the base. You have a choice in which to use during play, and use the one near the base of the guitar to play hammer ons and solos. Guitar hero does not have this. Overall, I think RB2's and even RB's graphics are far superior than GH:WT, but this is opinionated.

Remember, GH:WT were the ones who COPIED Rock Band. Harmonix, the creator of Rock Band I and II are the ones who made the first GHI and GHII series. They expanded this basis into more instruments, and GH:WT (along with Rock Revolution) made a mimicry (and a quite feable one). Something that's been bothering me: why is it called Guitar Hero when there's drums and vocals? :?

Just my two cents.

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

I haven't really played both a lot both I really like the notes in guitar hero. I can't stand the rock band notes.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Yeah, Guitar Hero just feels and looks childish. Rock Band just feels a lot more mature, if that makes sense.

And Guitar Hero is easy, honestly. It gives you such a timing window for notes that you can hit them so easily. Either way, I find Rock Band a lot more fun, more mature and has a much better set list. Really there is no arguing the last one, with DLC there is something for everyone.

I haven't played Rock Band, but I have to say, the GHWT setlist sucks the fat [wagon]. Very few decent songs until the end of the guitar career.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Angular notes just don't feel natural to me, period. And the timing windo for GH [garden tool]/pos is now close or identical to RB's and the older GHs'. Sure you can still hit the regular notes a bit off beat, but honestly how much difference does it make unless you're one of the ubers going for squeezes 'n stuff. And the peripherals are awful, I can't keep a beat with no clicking whatsoever from the strum bar and the regular frets are too big while the solo ones are too small and pointless besides. Although the WT guitar has that stupid touch strip, which I've turned off cuz it got so damn annoying overstrumming me all the time, it's still way better IMO.

No you didn't. Failed because of the aforementioned [garden tool]/pos, remember?

On a related note, I'm getting tired of the internet egotism surrounding these games. That also goes for the stupid fanboyism.

p2gq.jpg

Both of them are good games. Guitar Hero World Tour has very few good songs though and none of those are terribly difficult (Satch Boogie isn't even that hard and it'd be really easy if the purple notes weren't broken).

I passed all other songs on that and all songs on RB2 on sightread however I didn't get a single sightread FC on GHWT and got about 10 on RB2 (And about another 15 Gold stars :s).

Rock Band 2 has a lot of easy songs but has a better set list and a lot more songs which are fun to play. Although quite a lot of the tracks overlap from one to the other which is annoying.

I'll be going back to GHWT more often then I'll be going back to RB2, same as how it was with GH3 and RB1, Guitar Hero series just has something about it that makes you want to go back to it. Maybe it's the fact that it's far more competitive than rock band is.

The stratocaster has two fret buttons, one near the neck and one near the base. You have a choice in which to use during play, and use the one near the base of the guitar to play hammer ons and solos. Guitar hero does not have this.

Actually, world tour has normal frets up at the top of the neck, and a touchpad just below:

The neck of the guitar features a touch-sensitive pad just below the normal five fret buttons. The player can use either the fret buttons or the touch pad to play regular notes. The pad also allows the player to play notes via "tap strumming" similar to the slap bass method for bass guitar, and to alter the pitch of sustained notes.[7][24] Guitar tracks feature notes connected by a semi-transparent purple line, called "Slider Gems"; the player can play these notes by sliding their fingers up and down the touch pad or by tapping the fret buttons without strumming.[24] The touchpad can also be used for sustains and staccato notes in the music studio feature while recording guitar, and is used for finer control over loops when recording other instruments.[7][24]

It's awesome.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

No you didn't. Failed because of the aforementioned [garden tool]/pos, remember?

On a related note, I'm getting tired of the internet egotism surrounding these games. That also goes for the stupid fanboyism.

My bad, I forgot about that. It was my second run then.

I'd prefer Guitar Hero. The game just feels a bit better at some points, ex. Star Power in GH does a lot less to the screen, and the hammer-on notes are a bit more than just slightly smaller rectangles. Plus, it's a bit more challenging than Rock Band

There's a lot of DLC for Rock Band, yes. Though personally, very few songs on it actually appeal to me (Until Texas Flood is released). Guitar Hero's song creation, flawed as it may be, is still a great feature to have.

Then again, this from a person that has yet to play any of the said dlc, and just sees a list of it.

I'd prefer Guitar Hero. The game just feels a bit better at some points, ex. Star Power in GH does a lot less to the screen, and the hammer-on notes are a bit more than just slightly smaller rectangles. Plus, it's a bit more challenging than Rock Band

There's a lot of DLC for Rock Band, yes. Though personally, very few songs on it actually appeal to me (Until Texas Flood is released). Guitar Hero's song creation, flawed as it may be, is still a great feature to have.

Then again, this from a person that has yet to play any of the said dlc, and just sees a list of it.

Not sure how someone couldn't find something they like from the DLC. A lot of it is harder then the base game.

i would get gitar hero becouse you can make your own songs and bands and a ton of songs to download and unlock. so get gitar hero , allthough i dont know why they call it gitar hero and it hass drums and vocalls. :-k

I would learn to spell before going on the internet.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have world tour or rock band (getting rb 1 and 2 for christmas :D) but i've played both a fair amount, and i prefer rock band. World tour's drums are so much easier than world tour, it's just not as fun. Also they claim they're quieter than rock band's drums, but they were the same if not louder. And i played the first two levels on Career in world tour, and the songs were just horrible. How is "on the road again" by willie nelson a rock song? Anyway rock band just looks a lot cleaner, is more challenging and overall more fun. So rock band ftw :D

soldersig.jpg

i would get gitar hero becouse you can make your own songs and bands and a ton of songs to download and unlock. so get gitar hero , allthough i dont know why they call it gitar hero and it hass drums and vocalls. :-k

I would learn to spell before going on the internet.

or trying to play the "gitar" for that matter...

If Guitar Hero notes were on Rock Band, and if I had any system other than a Wii, I would be all over Rock Band. But alas, I have a Wii where Rock Band 1 sucked and Rock Band notes are still little rectangles that are impossible for me to judge depth.

Just realized that I need a new siggy....hmmm....

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew