GIMP?!

Soa

Looks like a good tut, shame I'm not a GIMP user :lol:

i have actually a number of reasons gimp pwns photoshop.

1. Its free. I mean you don't have to pay for it...but....That's stealing :shame:

2.Gimp can save in a ton more file types than Photoshop, create fractals, and basic vectors, using paths and saving as an svg.

3. Building onto #3 Gimp can actually operate in .psds, as well as heaps more files. It can operate in Paint.Net as well I think.

4. Gimp, while not being as streamlined as Photoshop, has more literal names. For people like me, it was easier to get grips

That's mah 2 cents.

lampost_sig_stark.png

mann i have been trying to figure out this technique for ever! ZOMG thank youuu <3:

EDIT: you have to be pretty good a smudging in order to make it look good though :P

sotwbar7.png

sig-1.png

1980 Berlinetta with a 350, bored, mild cam, intake carb, headers, exhaust

smudgetrybe0.png

Tried my hand at smudging your star thing in photoshop. I only have a few questions:

- At what part do you think its a good time to smudge? I found that smudging a plain color item just doesn't work and looks horrible.

- Any use for any other smudge settings, brushes, ect?

Cool mini tutorial, it did explain a bit of what I was interested in. To everyone else I found that if you constantly (but slowly) move the smudged bit back and forth you can add more depth to it and make it look better.

I'll def be trying this technique on my next sig :)

[edit] Just tried it a bit in a sig and I just can't get the image could to start smudging well. It always ends up looking like crap ;p.

[edit 2] Just tried again from scratch... kind of getting the hang of it.

smudge2jt7.png

I did use brighter colors though so no doubt it turned out a lot different. Still this is all pretty much smudging and a few Clipping masks + brushing... just trying to get the hang of this. I kind of have the smudging idea down, I just need to get the right stuff to smudge ;p

Just trying to figure out how to do less cartoony smudging now.

I like that last one, the green looks really cool there. I have never managed to get good smudge settings in PS to be honest.

wow, you just explained something that i've been tryign to figure out for like a week, in what, a min? meanie ::' thx

Same here, I reallly suck at smudging. :-#

C2b6gs7.png

smudgetrybe0.png

Tried my hand at smudging your star thing in photoshop. I only have a few questions:

- At what part do you think its a good time to smudge? I found that smudging a plain color item just doesn't work and looks horrible.

Cool mini tutorial, it did explain a bit of what I was interested in. To everyone else I found that if you constantly (but slowly) move the smudged bit back and forth you can add more depth to it and make it look better.

I'll def be trying this technique on my next sig :)

[edit] Just tried it a bit in a sig and I just can't get the image could to start smudging well. It always ends up looking like crap ;p.

[edit 2] Just tried again from scratch... kind of getting the hang of it.

smudge2jt7.png

I did use brighter colors though so no doubt it turned out a lot different. Still this is all pretty much smudging and a few Clipping masks + brushing... just trying to get the hang of this. I kind of have the smudging idea down, I just need to get the right stuff to smudge ;p

Just trying to figure out how to do less cartoony smudging now.

My advice is just never use chalk brush.

Looks good.

28u7f5g.jpg

danke Schon Sam!^^

"Blood runs thicker, oh were thick as thieves you know"

-Carl Barât

- Could be a background/ effects/ render/ or a sig entirely based on smudging <- good for sprites.

- Splatter brushes with the same settings works really well. I don't really like jitter or scatter because it's messy and looks rushed.

Dart.jpg