Comprehensive Waterfiend Guide - With and W/O Bunyip.

Logdotzip

I have a lot of people asking me the best way to kill waterfiends without the use of a familiar, primarily a bunyip. So to answer the people who have asked me, as well as those who have not yet, I made a little mini-guide of some sort to help those in need. with this guide I can kill around 100 - 120 waterfiends a trip, on task, and 90 - 100 off task. I recommend med-high strength and defence stats (85+), high attack stat (90+), medium prayer stat (70+), and medium magic stat (80+). The melee stats are for how much damage you'll deal and recieve, the prayer level is to use piety for SGS specials (or otherwise), and the magic level is because it's been said that that also determines how often magic attacks hit you.

PLEASE NOTE: This mini-guide assumes you have been to the waterfiends at least once before, as well as have basic knowledge of how to access them, how to kill them, and so on. I may add this information later on to those completely new to waterfiends.

wfiends01zu4.png

[hide=Items in Picture Information]Items in picture - Worn

Helm: Slayer Helm

Amulet: Fury

Cape: Fire

Arrows: N/A

Top: Karil's

Legs: Karil's

Weapon: Zamorakian Spear

Shield: N/A

Gloves: [barrows] RFD Gloves

Boots: Infinity

Ring: Wealth

Items in Picture - Inventory

Saradomin Godsword, Slayer Ring, Prayer Potion (4), Prayer Potion (4)

Super Attack (4), Super Strength (4), Prayer Potion (4), Prayer Potion (4)

Super Attack (4), Super Strength (4), Prayer Potion (4), Prayer Potion (4)

Saradomin Brew (4), Saradomin Brew (4), Saradomin Brew (4) Super Restore (4)

Pineapple Pizza, Pineapple Pizza, Pineapple Pizza, Pineapple Pizza

Pineapple Pizza, Pineapple Pizza, Pineapple Pizza, Pineapple Pizza

Pineapple Pizza, Basket of Strawberries[/hide]

To kill them, well, attack them! Eat and dose as needed. I ReSup. on my Super Attack and Strength potions when I'm around seven levels above my normal level. 8 doses total doing this is plenty for your entire inventory.

Now, to answer some questions I'm sure I'll be asked.

[hide=FAQ]1) Why Waterfiends, what's so great about them?

- Glad you asked. Waterfiends are assigned by the slayer master Duradel, and they drop EXCELLENT amounts of charms, about 95% of them being crimsons. In a test of 500 waterfiend kills, I got 37 gold, 28 green, 412 crimson, and 13 blue charms. That's 490 out of 500 kills that had charms! In addition to charms, these monsters drop various items, the most noteworthy being Rune medium helms, noted water orbs, water battlestaves, various mithril armour pieces, 90 mithril arrows, raw fish (with the occasional cooked shark), and grimy herbs.

2) What about a Saradomin Sword or a Godsword? Shouldn't those be better than a Zamorakian Spear?

- No, and here's why. Waterfiends, as you may or may not know, are weakest to crush style attacks. While the Saradomin Sword (SS), any Godsword (GS), and the Zamorakian Spear (ZS), all have crush style attacks, there's a reasoning why the ZS is preferred. Firstly, it has the same speed as a whip, a scimitar, dagger, or, a SS. This instantly puts it ahead of any GS. In tests I've done, I've found that you can put in three hits with the ZS / SS to every two GS hits, and that you deal overall damage with the faster, albeit weaker hits. So you may now ask why the SS isn't preferred. While it's true it has a higher strength bonus compared to the ZS, you'll also note it has a smaller crush attack bonus. At waterfiends, your main priority attack wise is accuracy, not damage dealt. I have all three weapons mentioned here, and from thorough testing, I, as well as may regular waterfiend-ers, am 100% positive that the almighty Zamorakian Spear is the weapon of choice. Besides, it's only 1.3 - 1.7M (at time of writing), compared to roughly 10M (at time of writing) for the SS.

3) I don't see an Anti-Shield or a teleport in your inventory, what's with that?

- Correct. I do not bring a teleport because if I need to leave I can just use the Raft-log, always a click away, or I can easily run back to the stairs where I came from. I don't bring an Anti-[Dragon]Shield with me anymore for the simple fact that once I enter the whirlpool and go down the stairs, I simply switch on the Protect from Magic prayer to avoid any major damage the Brutal Greens will deal on my way over to the waterfiends. By the time I'm to the waterfiends, I've used up only 1 prayer point. While you're welcome and encouraged to bring an Anti-Shield, I don't because I don't have many in my bank, and if I brought one I'd drop it eventually to make room for drops anyways.

4) Why do you have the Saradomin Brews and the Super Restore potion with you?

- Those four potions are for my last kills in my waterfiends trip. How I use them is when I'm out of food, and nearly out of prayer, I allow my HP to drop to 55. From there, I take 3 doses of Saradomin Brew, two to fully heal me and the last to put me over my max HP, then I take one dose of Super Restore. The Super Restore will negate any negative effects the Brews gave and will also give me more prayer points to use. From there I take a sip, if I have any left (and I always do), of my Sup Attack / Strength potions. This gives me super potted attack and strength, extremely high defence, and plenty of HP. When my HP re-drops to 55, I repeat all these actions until I'm out. Note that you shouldn't drink more than three doses of Saradomin Brew before taking a sip of Super Restore, or the negative effects won't full be gone.

5) Is it possible to wear ranged defence armour and use the Protect from Magic prayer?

- While it is possible, it's a tried and true fact that the waterfiend's ranged attack will hit more on ranged defence armour then its magic attack will hit on Karil's or dragonhide. You'll find yourself not getting nearly as many kills per trip / hour if you decide to do this.

6) How much is all this going to cost me? and what's with the pizzas and strawberries?

- I'll answer the food question first. You may wonder why I didn't include sharks or monkfish in my inventory at all. It's for the simple fact that the food I have shown will provide more beneficial and will heal you more overall. A basket of strawberries takes up one space, and holds 5 Strawberries, which heal 6 HP each. That's 30 HP in one inventory space. You can also heal small amounts at once instead of 20 HP at once with a shark. The same goes for the pizza. It's Pineapple pizza, and it heals 11 HP per bite, with two bites per pizza. It's perfect for when you need to heal, but not by much. Not to mention, BOTH of these foods are DIRT CHEAP. A basket of strawberries can be bought for no more than 200GP, and Pineapple pizzas are about 600GP each (Both prices at the time of writing). That blows sharks out of the water, which are around 900 - 1K each and heal a measly 20. OVERALL, each trip you'll break even (unless you're EXTREMELY unlucky), or more likely, you'll profit around 30K per trip.

7) I can't afford [Armour / Weapon]! Are there alternatives?

- Yes, and the first alternative I give may be surprising to you. I hear a lot of people saying that if you don't have a ZS or a SS, then you ought to use Torag's Hammers or Verac's Flail. I'm here to say it *isn't* the best alternative. The best choice here, better than the barrow's items, and POSSIBLY better than a SS (Haven't tested both against each other yet), is the Barrelchest Anchor. That's right, the anchor you probably never or rarely use! Why, you ask? Well for one, it has the BEST crush attack bonus available for a weapon (Even more than a GS!) It also DOESN'T degrade, and contrary to what many people think, it IS the same speed as barrow's weapons (excluding the Greataxe, which is far slower). If you have completed the Great Brain Robbery, and can't afford or don't want to bother with the above weapons I mentioned, the Anchor is for you. And if you don't have an anchor either? Go to the fallback and buy Torag's Hammers or Verac's Flail? Not even those? Don't waste your time at waterfiends. What about helms, you say? Well, I rarely kill waterfiends when I'm not on task, so the Slayer Helmet / Black Mask is probably your best bet. If you're up for waterfiends, but are not on task, there's three viable options, two listed in the picture. First there is the Neitiznot helm, which is a great combination of strength and prayer bonuses, and also has no negative magic defense bonuses. If you don't have access to one of these helms or you prefer having more magic defense, use an Ahrim's hood. If you can't afford an Ahrim's hood, waterfiends may not be for you. ;) Lastly, not mentioned above, is the Dwarven Helm, gotten from the Grim Tales quest, or buyable on the Grand Exchange. It is the only helm in game that has a crush attack bonus, albeit with poor stats otherwise. On to armour. There really is no question Karil's is best for waterfiends, as well as fairly cheap. Any kind of dragonhide will work, but you will find yourself being hit more with the magic attacks. Armadyl armour should NOT be an option simply due to its negative attack bonuses. If you're a strength junky or can't afford infinity boots, Dragon Boots are a viable option. For capes, Fire Cape is best, no questions. Its prayer, strength, attack, and defense bonuses simply make it the bets cape available to any player who has one. After that cape, I would actually reccomend a god cape from the Mage Training arena, because of it's high magic defense. After that, I would opt for any 99 Cape, trim or not, then an Obsidian cape, a Legends cape, or just, a plan old cape! For gloves, use the best available RFD gloves you can get, or if that's not an option, you can use either Regular / [bleep]ed vambraces, or Family Crest / Klank's gauntlets. You either believe in the Ring of Wealth or you don't, and if you don't you probably don't know how it works ;) Many don't. If you don't believe in it and have access to the new Slayer Rings as well as you're on task, you can wear the ring. If your connection is bad, a Ring of Life is always welcome.[/hide]

If you DO have access to bunyips, you're welcome to include one or 2 of the pouches with you, as well as the Bunyip's scroll, which will make use of the raw lobster / shark the waterfiends often drop. If you do this, I would advise you bring 5 - 8 less food than in my inventory, or cut out the Saradomins Brews / Super Restore completely.

Well I think that about covers it, if you have any questions not answered here, feel free to ask! I'm also open to suggestions.

Note this guide has my permission to be on two sites, this and The Slayers Guild website.

Holy S^*#.

This is the best guide I've read on the entire forum.

I don't have the requirements for Waterfiends yet, but I know what's ahead of me.

100/10

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

Dragon boots, Berserker/Warrior are much better than what you've put and a Dwarven Helm/Neitiznot should be worn off task, definitely not an Ahrims hood. Attack bonuses > Defence bonuses at Waterfiends. Other than that, great guide. :)

Points for effort, but this guide is nowhere near "comprehensive" as you claim. You missed the best way of killing these when not on task, Void Melee. As the last poster said, Berserker Ring, Dragon Boots and Dwarven/Neitiznot Helm are a lot better than what you've suggested. There's no mention of how to get there. This is a guide to how you kill them. Please don't make false claims.

Also, before you claim that the Z Spear is better than SS, why don't you actually conduct timed tests? I did over 300 kills with each and the SS came out slightly ahead by about 4 more kills per hour. And you are flat out wrong about the Barrelchest Anchor. The thing is not the same speed as Barrows weapons. It's ungodly slow and hasn't been worth using at all since it got nerfed shortly after its release.

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

You don't show where to attack them (Many people don't know about the southern spot), and you need to swap those infinity boots for dragon, the helm for nezitinot when not on task, and the ring of wealth for life\berserker. Ring of wealth does not help here. SS is way better then zammy spear, its +8 crush vs +8 strength, and I rarely miss. If you want to make it comprehensive, talk about using unicorn and wearing proselyte instead of karils, talk about piety\+15% strength prayer, talk about void melee, talk about prayer switching, talk about the range method for 1 prayer pures, talk about the charms and XP per hour at various levels, talk about the charms per trip for various levels... I know you said that this was for players that had at least a clue about how to get there and kill them, but much of what I said is not common knowledge.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

This is a nice guide but it could use a lot more information. First off, you should give a lot more information about using Bunyips such as an example inventory. Also there are other familiars to use besides Bunyip. If you have lower summoning, a void spinner still heals 4 hp per minute which can make a huge difference. If you have higher summoning you can use an ice/moss/fire titan which heal you approximately 12 hp a minute or a unicorn which heals 21 hp a minute.

So again, not a bad guide but don't advertise it as comprehensive when you don't include a lot of stuff, you're more covering the basics and a lot of people have much better ways than this.

Brainymidget.png

multimultiza9.gif

anyones whos mentioned anything about a familiar i guess did not read the title fully. a warrior ring would not help here at all because it gives a slash bonus, and you use crush style attacks. unless youve whipped out your anchor in the last YEAR oxidation, you sadly mistaken about it, and any speculation over a ring of wealth is purely speculation. Ive also mentioned neitiznot and dragon boots here, it comes down to personal preference. A Zamorakian Spear is in fact superior to a Saradomin Sword, I happen to have both, and as for how to get there etc, thats correct they have not been listed, just like the notice at the top clearly states. I havnt had all the free time in the world, and ill get around to adding the information. Oxidation, next time you have the chance, come down to the duel arena with me, ill use an anchor, you use a flail, and well test speeds. Prepare to be proven wrong in FULL. and my apologies for spelling / lack of spacing and caps right now. I typed this on my phone.

In addition yes, this is primarily for someone who has them for a Slayer task I dont mention that anywhere specifically in the post, only vaguely. rarely do I kill monsters off task. This was intended for the slayers guld forum mostly anyways. So Ill get around to that. As for the previous post, didnt want to cme off as mean which Im sure I SOUNDED, but as for the debate of the anchor the claim about it being slower than a godsword or even as slow as one is just absurd

Nice guide, but I'd like to add that for drops such as rune meds, water battlestaffs, and mith armor, it's a good idea to bring some nature + fire runes to alch them.

quakingmoose.png

3 Solo Hilts (2 Saradomin, 1 Bandos)

10 Solo Saradomin Swords

48 Abyssal Whips

217 Barrows Items

What'd you say about using guthans?

Guthan spear has crush option, too.

hvXho.png

99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.

9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?

w85p2012-1.png

I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?

I personally would advise AGAINST guthans for the simple fact that theres no guarantee that you will get healed. I'm sure anyone who owns guthans armour knows sometimes it just doesn't seem to heal. and like in the FAQ its common knowledge that youll find yourself being hit more in ranged defence then you would with magic defence. guthans is a luck based way to take them on, while magic defense is a somewhat guaranteed way to deal with them

anyones whos mentioned anything about a familiar i guess did not read the title fully.

As a "comprehensive" guide, you need information about familiars. Information which, because of your own summoning level, you are unable to provide.

unless youve whipped out your anchor in the last YEAR oxidation, you sadly mistaken about it, and any speculation over a ring of wealth is purely speculation.

Again, you're flat out wrong about the anchor. Please use it in timed tests to convince yourself. Also, RoW is not speculation. I kept a log of over 1k kills with a Wealth and again with a Zerker. There was no significant difference in the amount of charms.

Ive also mentioned neitiznot and dragon boots here, it comes down to personal preference.

If your personal preference is to wear inferior equipment, then I guess.

A Zamorakian Spear is in fact superior to a Saradomin Sword, I happen to have both

Since you have both, do us all a favor and test them. I have for 4 hours each and ended up with about 4 more kills per hour with the SS. Also, the SS trains strength while the spear trains only controlled.

and as for how to get there etc, thats correct they have not been listed, just like the notice at the top clearly states. I havnt had all the free time in the world, and ill get around to adding the information.

Then until you do, stop advertising your guide as "comprehensive", because we all know that's a flat out lie. From the information you do provide, I'll guess you've done a few slayer tasks there and not much more. My guide contains over twice the information this one does and that one is far from "comprehensive".

Oxidation, next time you have the chance, come down to the duel arena with me, ill use an anchor, you use a flail, and well test speeds. Prepare to be proven wrong in FULL.

Sorry, but I'm not wasting my time and a space on my friend list to prove to myself something I've already witnessed for hours on end while fighting Waterfiends.

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

In your title, you say that this guide is With and W/O Bunyip, yet I see nothing except one little sentence about them. I know you say that this is a guide for people without Bunyips but you really need to add in information for some familiars because there are very few people that can't summon a void spinner which can still be a nice help to making your trip longer.

And also, I haven't tested an Anchor recently but last time I used it (About 6 months ago), I found it the exact same speed as a Godsword. I will try it again to be sure but I am almost 100% positive, it is slower than a longsword.

Brainymidget.png

multimultiza9.gif

Not to rain on your parade, but the other poeple are right. The anchor is extremely slow, and I know, I used one for fun for about a week after I finished the Great Brain Robbery quest, and this was only around 3 weeks ago, or less. Otherwise though, nice guide.

R.I.P Shiva and The Old Nite

Visit My Huge Goals!!! <---- Click This

My Pk Gallery

supdefnubew6.png

GWD: 3x Saradomin Sword, 2x Saradomin Hilt, 2X B Boots, 1x Tasset, 2X B Plate, 2X Shard, 1X D Med

TDs: 3x Solo Claws, 1x Solo Armour Piece

99 Untrimmed HP, 0% Pc'd and before Soul Wars -- Trimmed July 1, 2009

First Untrimmed HP Cape to 96 summon, top 300 to 96 summon

Proud owner of the strength, magic, range, and hitpoints capes.

Spa_Ins/LOLCANADA on IRC.

You know, there has to be a better and more efficient way to slay these without using sara brews and super restores. I'm trying to save money, not spend it all. I have a bunyip, but what about those who don't? They're not going to want to spend a ton of money on sara brews and super restores. for a single slayer task.

And I know that a waterfiend's drops are terrible--aside from charms. But they don't give you a chance to profit, especially if you're using expensive potions like sara brews and super restores.

dbeastsig2.gif

One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

You know, there has to be a better and more efficient way to slay these without using sara brews and super restores. I'm trying to save money, not spend it all. I have a bunyip, but what about those who don't? They're not going to want to spend a ton of money on sara brews and super restores. for a single slayer task.

And I know that a waterfiend's drops are terrible--aside from charms. But they don't give you a chance to profit, especially if you're using expensive potions like sara brews and super restores.

Liez.

I make a decent profit there, and I camped my 88 there... still am.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png