[youtube] Tags.

I know the staff is busy right now, so it obviously is a low priority thing but when I set up my PHPBB3 forums the day before forum.tip.it went down I found a way to create tags that allow embedding of Youtube videos. I think it would be a nice addition and it would take less than a minute to install.

Here's how (If you can't figure this out yourself, which I doubt!) :

ACP->Posting->BBcodes. Create a new BBcode by clicking the "Add new BBcode" button. In the first box, put:

[youtube]{TEXT}[/youtube]

In the second one:

And if you can't be bothered to write a help description:

How to: [youtube]Everything in the URL of a youtube video after the v= here[/youtube]

Definitely does not have to be implemented immediately. From what I remember, in the topic discussing this was it, 2 or 3 months ago, it was generally agreed on that this would be useful.

C2b6gs7.png

i saw this while looking at some v.3 themes and it's a cool feature. it'd be a godsend on the 'post all RS screenshots and vids here' thread, i'm far too lazy to follow links to vids and having em embedded on the page would make lief a lot easier :P

red-mask-sig.gif?t=1238621802

MSSW4Banner.gif

I'll agree this would be nice.

But, I think we need at least a few things fixed before something like this is implemented. Sad to say, a few things still aren't working right, including "signature customization", "report cancellations", and "post access paths", just to name a mere few.

Also, is there going to be any way to specify video sizes with this? Seriously, I think it would be fair to account for those who wrote their vids in a WideScreen resolution, or made them awfully small at their original size.

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Also, is there going to be any way to specify video sizes with this? Seriously, I think it would be fair to account for those who wrote their vids in a WideScreen resolution, or made them awfully small at their original size.

When putting the youtube bbcode on, there is a default size available, and in some forums I've been to, the size is adjustable if allowed. Though I think there needs to be a max widescreen, or 'length screen' for videos, and other dimensions.

Well, as you can see, the default width/height is 350x425, I could test out some codes to allow the user to specify them. Or maybe make some sizes to choose from, for example [youtubelarge], [youtubedefault] and [youtubesmall]. The only difference would be the sizes. What do you think?

C2b6gs7.png

Well, as you can see, the default width/height is 350x425, I could test out some codes to allow the user to specify them. Or maybe make some sizes to choose from, for example [youtubelarge], [youtubedefault] and [youtubesmall]. The only difference would be the sizes. What do you think?
(Okay, fixed a spelling error there... it was making my brain hurt!)

This would be an awesome idea to implement, and would handle the needs of users who need large/small video windows. Definite Support. :thumbsup:

However, one serious issue remains... Can we wait for the current forum problems to be repaired before we do something like this??? -.-

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Whoops, I was using someone else's weird keyboard, didn't notice that.

Yeah, I said in the first post:

I know the staff is busy right now, so it obviously is a low priority thing but when I set up my PHPBB3 forums the day before forum.tip.it went down I found a way to create tags that allow embedding of Youtube videos.

Will find some good sizes for videos. Thanks for the support.

C2b6gs7.png

Currenty trying to install a version which not only supports Youtube, but also Google and a lot others.

If that doesn't work then it'll only be Youtube though.

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

Currenty trying to install a version which not only supports Youtube, but also Google and a lot others.

If that doesn't work then it'll only be Youtube though.

"Install"? :? ... What do you mean? :-s ... Why not just build some code tags? :|

<*is totally confused*>

~D. V. Devnull

In that case... one question remains... :-k

How do the new tags work? :-s ... Yeah, can't use them right without knowing exactly what their implementation is. :-w

~D. V. Devnull

How do the new tags work? :-s ... Yeah, can't use them right without knowing exactly what their implementation is. :-w

Resisted the urge to put a rick roll as the video:

V3CgeJED9SU

Which is:

[youtube]V3CgeJED9SU[/youtube]

Like the first post says, you just add the last signs to it. And put youtube around it.

In that case, could you patch in a tooltip to that and the "hide" tag, so that any user who comes to post can see the tag's usage, just in case they don't know and/or happen to forget? And also such that it is uniform with the other tags in this respect? :idea:

@ Skatedog --- Your choice in vids still isn't that good... Heck, I would have at least pulled something from Unreal Tournament and/or Halo, which would have at least been non-annoying. :-w ... (LOTR, ftl...)

~D. V. Devnull

(22:30:11) <%Jesse_757> It's sweet

(22:30:17) <%Jesse_757> Because you won't have to follow links (h)

I'd also like to see youtube tags. Another step into making this forum a better place.

Consider this post a test of those new tags...

KicJSFEgB_U

"

" by "WhtButterflyLiz"

Enjoy the accidents & mishap! This one is sure to get some laughs! (LOL! :lol: ...)

And I just discovered... WE'RE NOT AT "[/thread]"!!! You need to turn off the "Related" videos call-up, because I just found out that one of the videos (or more) related to my choice is potentially semi-'NSFW', depending on how you look at it ... Not good. :?

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

How could we turn that off? :?

Answer is at http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=75301 ... :thumbup:

To disable "Related Videos", you add "&rel=0" to the video URL... :geek:

And here is a test case...

(Please open in a new tab/window to view, for I am not responsible if you temporarily lose where you are on the forums.)

And that will fix all of our worries. 8-)

~D. V. Devnull

Will fix tomorrow, it's 2 am.

Meh, it's not much of a fix..

Not exactly sure if it should go in both links, but it's not hurting anything

It would hurt if you do not have it... Because then whatever doesn't accept the "" would go to the "", and that's where the anarchy would begin. :(

Anywho, I'll stand by and wait for Kill_Life and/or another Forum Techie to handle that. Heck, I'd fix it if I could. 8-)

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

Will fix tomorrow, it's 2 am.

Meh, it's not much of a fix..

Not exactly sure if it should go in both links, but it's not hurting anything

It would hurt if you do not have it... Because then whatever doesn't accept the "" would go to the "", and that's where the anarchy would begin. :(

I honestly have no idea what you just said :P

Though an extra get variable isn't going to screw anything up. I can still go to posting.php?mode=quote&f=90&p=5813642&sparta=true

and it still brings me to the posting page

Thanks for the "Fix", it's a heroic feat at 2 am. I'll test it out on my own forums just to see if it works.

Edit: Doesn't. I tried putting the &rel=0 on only one of them, then the other one, just doesn't work.

C2b6gs7.png