Barrows w/Ancient Magicks ed. 22 Aug 2006 (AOW discussion)

Swordwiz

Tip.It staff note: This guide has been copied to the Archive of Wisdom http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=560183

This original topic is for replies to the author and discussion.

I hope it's ok with Tip.it if I use some of their images in this guide, credit is given after each image used.

This guide was made on Augest 12, 2005, and posted on Clan Jaguar forums. I decided I will post it here as well. Enjoy! :D

Want to make millions in a day? Then go to Barrows! Here's a guide to an expensive, but risk free way of barrowing.

We are not using slayer dart, we are not meleeing... we are using... Ancient Magicks!

The requirements

Level 82 or 70 magic

Decent melee and range levels

Completion of the Desert Treasure quest (Guide)

Completion of the Priest in Peril quest (Guide)

Completion of the Shades of Mort'ton quest (Guide)

Optional: Completion of the In Search of the Myreque quest (Guide)

Ancient magicks, the reward from the desert treasure quest, includes 4 new useful spells:

Ice Rush - Level 58 Magic to use, freezes for 5 seconds

Ice Burst - Level 70 Magic to use, freezes for 10 seconds

Ice Blitz - Level 82 Magic to use, freezes for 15 seconds

Ice Barrage - Level 94 Magic to use, freezes for 20 seconds

Whats so special about them? They *freeze* the target! Yes, same as entangle!

Equipped with level 82 magic for blitz, or 70 magic for burst, and decent melee and range levels, you are set to kill all 6 barrows brothers with ease.

Here is the equipment you should take to Barrows:

If you have full Ahrim's:

picturej200.png

The dragon skirt is for melee and range protection (crypts and Karil), any melee top or bottom works fine, so just take what you have.

If you don't have full Ahrim's:

picturej201.png

Here, try to take a strong melee bottom. Notice, not top, because we already have dragonhide top, which gives good defence, unlike the mystic bottoms. The reason we have a dragonhide top and not mystic is that if you die, you don't lose your whip :P (Staff, dragon skirt, and top would protect over whip)

The runes are enough for 125 blitz spells, and 250 burst spells. If you can only use burst, then don't bring any blood runes. You may wish to bring a water staff instead of an ancient staff to save water runes and an inventory space. Prayer pots are useful if you aren't sure of your evasive abilities yet, or you cannot take on Karil. Obsidian shields are also very useful (I made the guide before they came out). Anyway, replace those items with something similar if you don't have them, or have better ones.

Here is the route you should take to get to Barrows:

barrows_location.png

Here is a map of the tombs:

barrows_map.png

Credits to Tip.it for the above images.

Now that you know how to get there, and got the equipment, its time for some action!

The meleers

Go into one of the meleer's tombs, and stand in this position:

picturej184.png

Search the sarcophagus, and immediately cast the highest ice spell you can do (ice barrage, blitz, or burst) on the spirit.

picturej185.png

After the first spell, run to one of these positions:

picturej186.png

Now, this is important, if you casted ice barrage first, cast 6 more ice bursts, if you casted ice blitz first, cast 4 more ice bursts, and if you casted ice burst first, cast 2 more ice bursts.

picturej187.png

Then, while your casting the last spell, run to the other side of the sarcophagus. The spirit should be stuck on the other side of the sarcophagus, wait here for 1-2 seconds, for the spirit is immune to the freeze effect for a small time, then step out to one of these positions:

picturej188.png

Repeat what you did the first time, and cast your spells until the spirit is dead.

picturej190.png

If you are somehow caught next to a melee brother, and you are low on health, don't panic, eat your sharks if you're fighting Verac, Torag, or Guthan. If you are fighting Dharok and are in a tight spot, remember, you can teleport! Dharok is very dangerous, as he can constantly hit 50+ on you. Always remember to run! Do not let the melee brothers get close to you!

The ranger and the mage

The melee spirits were easy enough, right? Well, the mage and the ranger are even more simple. Head into the ranger's tomb, and equip your weapon and metal legs. Just whip him (or whatever) until he is dead.

Note: Karil has now became extremely powerful after a hidden update (bug), prayer is recommended to save food and your life. ;)

Now, head into the mage's tomb, equip your mystic bottoms (if you're not using Ahrim's) and bow, and watch the mage die to your arrows.

By now, you will have noticed that one of the tombs, instead of spawning a spirit, it will have asked you about a "secret tunnel". After killing all the spirits, go down inside the tunnel.

barrows_underground.png

Credits to Tip.it for the above image.

You will spawn in one of the corner rooms, and only one of the doors leading into the chest room will have the "open" option. Find that door, and solve the puzzle on it. Also, you may find the 6th spirit when you open a door. Basically, use the same tactic as before, but for the melee brothers, there is nothing to hide behind, so be careful. Fighting a melee brother inside one of the small spaces may be difficult, so if you have to, just run away. I usually kill a few bloodworms down here, because I have found they put blood runes into the chest. Here are pictures to the puzzles and their solutions:

barrows_puzzle1.jpg

barrows_puzzle2.jpg

barrows_puzzle3.jpg

barrows_puzzle4.jpg

Credits to Tip.it for the above images.

(If you cannot see the pictures, go here)

Note, the correct answers will not always be in the same place, so choose the shape highlighted above, not the position highlighted.

After you have jumped for joy after opening the chest, or cursed your luck for the 1000th time, it is time to go back up. Hopefully, you will remember which way you came from, and find the ladder that you came in through. Beware of the rocks falling onto you, dealing minor damage. Go back up, and repeat the process.

Using the general store

After the completion of the Shades of Mort'ton quest, you can use the general store there. Use a Serum(p) (now Serum 208) on the store npc, and you will be able to use it anytime. There, you can trade your cooked shark notes for cooked sharks, by selling them to the store, and buying them back. You can then restock on food without going to the bank. It is recommended to bank from time to time, so incase you die, you don't lose any barrows items that you might have gotten.

Banking

Every now and then, you may feel the need to bank. Either you have ran out of runes, or you have way too many expensive barrow items to risk. The level 66 teleport spell, Kharyrll Teleport, teleports you straight to Canifis. This is a easy way to bank, and also go back to barrowing.

Update: After the completion of the In Aid Of The Myreque quest, you can bank in Burgh De Rott, saving you some time.

So now, stop reading and go get yourself rich! :D

Credits: Tip.it for some images, myself for writing this guide.

Be sure to check out my barrows log at: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=376897. :D

Thanks for reading!

Swordwiz2000 - 110 Combat

88 Ranged - 95 Magic - 92 HP - 99 Fletching

Barrows Log (300+ Trips)

[url=http://forum.tip

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to have to warn you that it is expensive too. ;)

But hey, it's fun, I always loved using ice spells. :D

Just a question, saw your drop list on a different post. How many kill count do you usually get?

I used to get around 20. But now, I usually get around 10.

What I have found out is that the amount of bloods dropped is directly related to how many creatures you kill in the tunnels. For example, in the first few trips, you can see that I didn't get any bloods at all, that is because I just killed the brothers and nothing else.

My advice is to get a small kill count, like 10-20, to increase your rune drops. Getting too much is a waste of time, as the time spent will not be worth it.

Barrows Log (300+ Trips)

Very nice guide. I don't think you should use icebarrage down there until you've got like mils to burn. Ice brust is kind of a waste since you're using a multi-attack, but the freeze is worth it. Most highly I'd eccomend the Ice Blitz as well and for lower levels who are that eager to barrow, do Ice Rush (or if you can afford it, Burst :D).

sidewalksigpng9qg.png

Hazardmaster.png

Very nice guide. I don't think you should use icebarrage down there until you've got like mils to burn. Ice brust is kind of a waste since you're using a multi-attack, but the freeze is worth it. Most highly I'd eccomend the Ice Blitz as well and for lower levels who are that eager to barrow, do Ice Rush (or if you can afford it, Burst :D).

Well, ice barrage is very nice for its longer freeze time. It allows you to cast 2 more spells than with ice blitz. You can just switch to a cheaper spell after the enemy is frozen.

From my past experiences, the multi-attack spells are much more cost-effective than their single-attack counterparts. They only use up two more secondary runes (chaos for burst and deaths for barrage) while improving the damage done greatly.

Barrows Log (300+ Trips)

What u do when dharoks tunnel and ur in the small rooms?

For me, I will just barrage him the whole time, it may be a little more expensive, but I can kill him before he can move. If you can't use ice barrage or blitz yet, then you can just take an extra pray pot.

Other times, you can just run and try to find one of the rooms with a safe spot (You can virtually use any rock as a safe spot if you freeze and run).

Barrows Log (300+ Trips)

What u do when dharoks tunnel and ur in the small rooms?

For me, I will just barrage him the whole time, it may be a little more expensive, but I can kill him before he can move. If you can't use ice barrage or blitz yet, then you can just take an extra pray pot.

Other times, you can just run and try to find one of the rooms with a safe spot (You can virtually use any rock as a safe spot if you freeze and run).

or you can ignore him till you get to the chest. when you open it he'll appear and you can just play it like in the coffin room (freeze him then run around the chest).

I can use the level 70 spell all the time and never take damage from the melee brothers, except when verac gets lucky and hits me before I can run behind his coffin.

other than that great guide. only change I would make is take a god cape instead of obby/fire/legend cape for +10 mage aim and defense.

or you can ignore him till you get to the chest. when you open it he'll appear and you can just play it like in the coffin room (freeze him then run around the chest).

I can use the level 70 spell all the time and never take damage from the melee brothers, except when verac gets lucky and hits me before I can run behind his coffin.

other than that great guide. only change I would make is take a god cape instead of obby/fire/legend cape for +10 mage aim and defense.

Exactly, just wait until the right time to approach them.

Using ice blitz or barrage first is great because it freezes them longer. This saves you the time that you would have to spend running around and also makes it more simple. Besides, those two spells are very fun to use. :D

And actually, that is a zammy cape in my setup, not an obsidian cape.

Barrows Log (300+ Trips)

Exactly, just wait until the right time to approach them.

Using ice blitz or barrage first is great because it freezes them longer. This saves you the time that you would have to spend running around and also makes it more simple. Besides, those two spells are very fun to use. :D

And actually, that is a zammy cape in my setup, not an obsidian cape.

oh well then its a perfect guide, go you :P

only real problem i found is that you can cast 3 times with burst (or whatever the first multitarget ice spell is called :P ) and yes, i'm 100% sure of this, as i've done it hundreds of times without fail. 3 times safe, fourth cast they start moving at you.

and when i barrow like this (always) i've never gone to general store; i find it too much hassle to dig your way out of the crypt again.. nice and simple to just tele to canifis each time. other than that it's exactly how i do it. nice work :wink:

ubersig2se0.jpg

only real problem i found is that you can cast 3 times with burst (or whatever the first multitarget ice spell is called :P ) and yes, i'm 100% sure of this, as i've done it hundreds of times without fail. 3 times safe, fourth cast they start moving at you.

and when i barrow like this (always) i've never gone to general store; i find it too much hassle to dig your way out of the crypt again.. nice and simple to just tele to canifis each time. other than that it's exactly how i do it. nice work :wink:

You may have read it wrong (or I wrote it in a confusing way):

"and if you casted ice burst first, cast 2 more ice bursts."

So, basically, cast ice burst first, thats 1 spell, then 2 more, total of 3. :)

Anyway, thanks for the comment. :D

I'm very good with locations, navigating, that kind of stuff. I can find my way out of the crypts easily, so I like to just stay at barrows for a long time. :P

Also, I don't like to bring laws on me because now that I use the water staff, I have to click for each spell. And right next to ice barrage is a spell called "Annakarl Teleport", well, this teleport leads to somewhere that I would not like to go with the stuff that I have on me. ;) (Greater demon ruins)

Barrows Log (300+ Trips)

what gloves u using for barrows?

and u dont oray vs dharok for the first hit? what is maxhit he can hit with full health? or health is no matter for Dharok? i mean he can hit 58 at full hp?

Subzero Lt(111): 90magic, 70agility, 85mining, scythe and bunny ears-banned for macroing.

W T Z(112): 88magic, desert treasure with monkey madness completed at ~55combat with no pray-banned for real world item trading.

hm so:

bloodworms =bloods,minds

skeletons= bolt racks

rats prob chaos and death

and what spiders gives? never tryed them

Subzero Lt(111): 90magic, 70agility, 85mining, scythe and bunny ears-banned for macroing.

W T Z(112): 88magic, desert treasure with monkey madness completed at ~55combat with no pray-banned for real world item trading.