Rune pure ranger: the build - f2p/p2p --- Remade 23 October

jens_w

Note: please post if you read, I don't care what you post as long as you post.

Note: please do NOT MOVE to the guides section. I want this to be here where people can read it that need it. It is already in the guide section.

Note: I will each time indicate the level for free to play and pay to play. A good free to play pker will not be good in pay to play and vice versa. The first step in becoming a good pker is making the choice between those, but please note that I am a lot more experienced at free to play than at pay to play.

I will each time only tell you to what lvl to train ranged and strength and will also give an estimated hp and combat lvl at that time. Some lvls stay the same at all time so I will only give these once.

Hint: a very good combat calculator can be found by clicking here.

Attack:

Free to play: Keep attack 40 at all times. This is the lvl where you get the best weapon, so why get it any higher? In f2p the rule is: strength is better than attack.

Pay to play: You will need a better ko weapon here and there is a nice choice: This also means having less strength, which means that your hp will be a bit lower.

Attack 50 = granite maul - pretty expensive but has a good special

Attack 60 = dragon dagger - pretty cheap and can poison

Defence:

Free to play: Keep defence at 40 at all times, once again this is the best armour in the game, so why get it higher. You will have to do dragon slayer at under 33 defence to achieve 40 defence.

Pay to play: Keep defence at 40 at all times too, the archer helm isn't really worth it.

Important note for members: you will have to do a lot of quests for rune gloves and make sure that you can still get barrow gloves under 45 defence if you ever want to convert to a melee pker.

Strength:

Free to play: Your strength lvl will be around the same as your ranged level since you have low attack.

Pay to play: Your strength level will depend on your attack level:

- Attack 50: strength = ranged - 10

- Attack 60: strength = ranged - 20

But to calculate your strength level to the best, I refer again to the combat calculator mentioned above, or this note by voncritic:

1 suggestion about above stats listed in the guide:

When (Range * 1.5) = Attack + Strength, you will not get extra combat level from either side.

So, the best distribution is:

Range 70 / Strength 65 / Attack 40

Range 77 / Strength 75 / Attack 40

Range 83 / Strength 84 / Attack 40

Range 90 / Strength 95 / Attack 40

And also, for a hybrid pure, this distribution gives you biggest space to increase HP at that combat level. Hope it helps.

Magic:Since magic affects your magic defence, it might be smart to get a decent lvl (around 60 is easy in f2p). But keep it under your ranged/strength lvl (whichever is the highest of those 2, keep it under that).Runescape Knowledge base - magic = magic def.

Your magic level can never be higher than your ranged lvl (they can be equal).

Free to play: Try getting around 60 magic, this provides a semi-good defence and the best free to play spells.

Pay to play: Try getting your magic lvl to the same lvl as your ranged lvl each time. Good magic levels are: 70 (ice burst) - 79 (entangle) - 82 (ice blitz) - 85 (teleblock) - 94 (vengeance/ice barrage).

Prayer:

Free to play: Keep prayer 1, I can't stress this enough, if you are a solo pker then prayer is useless in f2p. You will regret ever getting prayer. If you do get prayer, get 44 (eagle eye) or 31 (getting in the monastary at edge).

Pay to play: I think that getting prayer is a must in pay to play, I would really advise to get 44 for eagle eye since with prayer pots, prayer can't run out (unless you get smited). You can also protect an expensive item then.

Ranged: Since you are a ranger this is actually the most important level. You will always be ranged based.

Free to play: Your ranged lvl has to be a nex max hit to maximise your power.

Pay to play: Your ranged lvl can be anything since you will be potting and praying anyway and this changes your max hit all the time (pot decreasing).

Max hits: Free to play

These hits are with addy arrows and a maple shortbow on rapid. These are the ones I know are correct, don't know them all, sorry. If you want to know more, check out this calculator at tip.it

Ranged level - hit without prayer - hit with eagle eye prayer

70 - 12 -

77 - 13 -

83 - 14 -

85 - 14 - 16

90 - 15 - 16

91 - 15 - 17

96 - 15 - 18

97 - 16 - 18

Build: The easiest guideline is:

Free to play:

- Attack: 40

- Strength: =ranged

- Defence: 40

- Magic: =ranged

- Ranged: Depending on prayer

------- Prayer: 1 ---- Ranged: 70 / 77 / 83 / 90 / 97

------- Prayer: 44 --- Ranged: 85 / 91 / 97

Pay to play:

- Attack: 60

- Strength: =ranged-20

- Defence: 40

- Magic: =ranged

- Prayer: 44

- Ranged: Anything

Examples: Free to play: 1 pray and 40 att/def, the hp is gambled:

Str:77

Ran:77

Hp:72

Cb:66

Str:90

Ran:90

Hp:83

Cb:75

Str:99

Ran:97

Hp:90

Cb:80

My ranged + 2h guide:

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=569717

Click and post

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, with these builds you do not really need a lot more hitpoints. Any hitpoints over 80 is to much in my opinion.

Why no magic:

- You will never use it to pk

- It costs a lot

- It is a waste of time to train

- Not usefull

- 1 Magic looks cool

Why magic:

- Transporting around in theworld

- For the looks

If you can provide proof that magic lvl gives magic def?

Also magic won't get you hp since the fastest/cheapest magic training xp in f2p is cursing the same monster over and over again while wearing full rune ,green vamb, earth staff. This is around 30k magic xp/hour and costs you around 60k cash/hour

My ranged + 2h guide:

Click and post

Actually, with these builds you do not really need a lot more hitpoints. Any hitpoints over 80 is to much in my opinion.

Why no magic:

- You will never use it to pk

- It costs a lot

- It is a waste of time to train

- Not usefull

- 1 Magic looks cool

Why magic:

- Transporting around in theworld

- For the looks

If you can provide proof that magic lvl gives magic def?

Also magic won't get you hp since the fastest/cheapest magic training xp in f2p is cursing the same monster over and over again while wearing full rune ,green vamb, earth staff. This is around 30k magic xp/hour and costs you around 60k cash/hour

It's common knowledge that higher magic gives you a better mage defence...

Angelic_Whim.png

I have never heard of that before, provide proof from jagex and I will believe you.

Or even better, I'll send them this question :)

Taken straight from the Knowledge Base:

What affects my magic defence?

Magic defence depends on your magic skill level, defence level and the magic equipment you are wearing.

The higher your skill levels and magic bonus, the less likely you are to get hit. You will also receive less damage from a spell.

4388 to 99 cooking

Why these ranged and strength lvls? Every ranged lvl I give you here is a new max hit with addy arrows on rapid with maple shortbow. You just match the strength lvls with these ranged lvls. (without prayer !) Prayer 26 would add 1 extra hit.

To quote myself. Notice that i wrote a sentence between brackets: "without prayer !". Prayer 44 at ranged 97 adds 2 to your max hit. But this gets you a to high combat lvl to be worth it.

My ranged + 2h guide:

Click and post

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Magic is also good for castle pking, where you can bind people so you can catch up and 2H them. Just a tip. :P

Not a bad guide, but could be much better.

Tip: Try pictures. :P

irulepokergd4.jpg

Irulepoker.gif

My Farewell thread. Please post nicely, or die. :^_^:

Yea, I'd vote for him too. But I don't think they let Iraqis vote :P

Most people that pk at castle tele anyway. Bringing bind is semi-useless since you are a ranger so you probably have negative magic attack bonus. And if people run you don't want to get slow high hits, but fast constant hits.

And I can't really add pictures, there isn't much to show.

My ranged + 2h guide:

Click and post

Magic indeed gives magic defence and I updated that (I think). Binding is kinda useless:

- You wear armour that gives negative magic bonus.

- At castle or above wildy lev 10 everyone teleports.

- 1 and 40 def range pures do not win fights, they have to ko, so you will be running probably.

Getting any attack lvl over 40 is useless since a rune weapon will always be a rune weapon and it will always hit semi-bad on rune. Youh ave to prefer those 4-5 extra max hits over some dumb attack levels.

My ranged + 2h guide:

Click and post

thats wrong, i saw a f2p ranger hit 18 with addy

range prayers help alot :roll:

Good job on the guide! I like it a lot and I think I'll use it to decide in which direction to go with my pure(40 att, 60 str, 50 range, 27 mage <.< expensive to train)

Pirate Rosetta stone. Learn a language while you scape.

Sounds interesting, but these days how many people really speak Pirate?

Bind is also good for noobs who run from dms. Although you can't stop them from teleing [in f2p] if your in 5 wilderness and their on about 2-4 food, just keep binding and ranging. [it really depends on your range lvl. Better with higher range so they don't heal as much when you hit them]

Mudkipz.jpg

Mmm... Mudkipz...