The Best F2P Combat Guide (all levels)

Zaaps1

Say what? You want to get massive combat experience? You say you want to do with with minimal effort? You don't want to spend heaps of cash on food, or don't want to raise your fishing high enough to fish lobbies effectively? Seem impossible? It's not, in the next few...minutes/moments/hours it is a long guide, you will discover the secret to training ALL forms of combat. Can't wait to break the scroll thing on your mouse from anxiety? Want a spoiler? Here it is in three easy to remember words:

THE STRONGHOLD OF SECURITY

sosbannercopy.jpg

Oh shoot that's 4 words :-#

This is my guide for the Stronghold of Security (SoS from here on out). I will list all the best training places for EVERY combat skill (except prayer, that's kinda obvious), as well as some secondary skills. This is a F2P guide, but it works for members as well. Members can hope to get special drops including Shield Pieces and Clues.

Guess What? You're Reading my guide, why not post some criticism, or at least say nice guide.

Table of Contents

This guide uses a tag system. Use the search function (Ctrl+F) and type in the capitalized tag inside the brackets to quickly find the section you wish to read.

1.0-Basic Information [bASK]

~1.1 What is the Stronghold of Security? [WSOS]

~1.2 Where is the SoS? [WWSS]

~1.3 Suggested Levels [sGLV]

2.0-Equipment [EQIP]

~1.05 Notes on Equipment [ENOT]

~1.1 Ranged [RNGD]

~1.2 Mage [MGIK]

~1.3 Melee [MLEE]

3.0-Inventory [iNVN]

~3.1 A Note on Food [FOOD

4.0-Starting Out [sTRT]

5.0-Training [TRNG]

~ 5.1 How much EXP Will I get? [EXPH]

~5.2 Mage/Range [MARN]

~~~5.21 Level 1

~~~5.22 Level 2

~~~5.23 Level 3

~~~5.24 Level 4

~5.3 Melee [MLTR]

~~~5.31 Level 1

~~~5.32 Level 2

~~~5.33 Level 3

~~~5.34 Level 4

~5.4 The Training Monsters [TRNM]

6.0-For Fun [FRFN]

~6.1 The Sceptre [sCPTR]

7.0-Members MEMB

~7.1-Slayer

8.0-Ending Notes [ENNT]

9.0-Credits [CRDT]

[hide=1.0 BASIC INFORMATION -BASK-]1.1 WHAT IS THE STRONGHOLD OF SECURITY? [WSOS]

On July 4th, 2006, Jagex added a massive F2P update. The exact words follow.

4 July 2006 - Security and free-to-play update - the Stronghold of Security

Why not learn how to keep your account secure whilst having fun in game? Now all of our players can, be they members or free players, level 3 to 126. When the Barbarians moved their mining operations to the centre of the village, little did they know that they would unearth the strangest dungeon yet encountered in RuneScape. Haunted by lost spirits, which seem to have taken over the doors and infested with beasts never seen before, it makes an adventure and a half simply getting through each of the four levels.

The doors in the area will ask you questions about account security, and the best ways to make your account safe, such as using recovery questions. Take your time to think about the questions they ask and the answers available, and you'll get through the dungeon in no time at all. Remember their advice, and you can learn a thing or two on the way. After all, secure accounts are the best kind of accounts!

You can find out more about it by picking up a book in your local general store and investigating the first part of the dungeon thoroughly. As well as some new creatures and talking doors you might also pick yourself up a reward or two! Plunder the treasures of the Stronghold of Security to find new boots, a new sceptre, 4 new emotes and a whole heap of golden shiny things. Be aware that like any other dungeon with monsters, if you die you WILL lose your equipment, so come prepared for combat.

Simply said, it was created as hopes that players would learn about account security. They added rewards and excellent training places to lure more players to pass through the SoS.

Also, some suggested reading for further information:

<!-- m -->http://kbase.runescape.com/lang/en/aff/ ... cat_id=883<!-- m --> The Official RuneScape guide to it.

<!-- m -->http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=stron ... curity.htm<!-- m --> Tip.It guide to the SoS

Talking to Litara by the SoS will give you some information.

In the Stronghold, take the notes from the dead body right after you enter. Read them for more information. (According to Jagex, the body is Litara's brother.)

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=470834">viewtopic.php?t=470834</a><!-- l --> a great guide by Keruly on Monster Blocking (or finding safespots out of no where).

1.2 Where is the SoS? [WWSS]

The SoS is located in the center of Barbarian Village. At the center of the mining site, there is an entrance. Climbing down it will lead to the SoS.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=633362">viewtopic.php?t=633362</a><!-- l --> - Kuroi_Ame's Ankou guide. I got permission to quote parts of it, you should read it for the original content.[/hide]

[hide=2.0 EQUIPMENT -EQIP-]Stats

I suggest 40 fishing to fish trout/pike/salmon quickly at the river

50ish cooking to stop burning those fish

Good defense for the higher levels

Examples of a good armor, with alternatives. The order will be helmet, ammy, body/legs, hands, boots, shield, and weapon.

2.05 Notes on Equipment [ENOT]

FOG Armor

I will put FOG armor as recommended for all of these. However, because of how it degrades, it is rarely worth the trouble and time. It is unmatched for stats, but not for effectiveness. I personally don't use FOG armor. However, if it is your preference, use it. If you do not, simply ignore it when mentioned.

The exception is for metal gauntlets, since they DO NOT degrade.

Treasure Trail Items

Since alike TT items all share the same stats with the base armor (ex. Sara armor, Zammy armor, and rune armor), it does not matter statistically if you wear it or not. I personally do, since it looks much better and I can easily afford it. However, note you also risk much more.

Explorer Ring

Since f2p means no better ring, you should ALWAYS wear this. The teleport replaces the need of any teleport runes (since it also places you reasonably close to a bank) and the alchs are useful at Ankous. Not to mention the run restore. ALWAYS USE THIS.

Defense

If you are Maging/Ranging and find yourself in need of defense, you have several options.

-Safespot

-Switch equipment.

While Magers will find themselves far wearing resorting to the ladder, it is the most useful since you don't need to switch training locations. You'll first want to swap the helm (Med helm, thanks Monk), then the body. Both should be switched to your best melee armor.

2.1 Ranged [RNGD]

rangearmour1tv1.gif

FOG Coif > Coif>Cowl>Med Helm>Full helm>Wizzy Hat

Power>Accuracy

Full D hide* > Studded > Regular

D hide vamps> regular vamps > gloves

Regular Boots>None (thanks Madder_Atkha)

Arrows

Bow (any)*

Explorer Ring

Wilderness Cape > Regular Cape

*But of course, use the best bow you can.

Note on arrows: Bronze and iron are the only good ones for training (thanks Monk). Although if you have the money, the better arrows may be worth your while.

2.2 Mage: [MGIK]

090111150927tr9.png

(Thanks 001hayden1)

Of course, simply swap about the Skill Cape for a Wilderness or Regular and pop on some Leather Boots. Switch the staff to suit your specific needs.

FOG Robes/Runecrafter Hat >Wizard Hat*>Coif/Cowl/Med/Full helms

Magic/Power**>Accuracy

Full FOG/RC Robes > Mage Robes*

RC gloves>Safety gloves>Gloves>Vamps

Regular Boots

Anti-Dragon shield>Wooden>Any

Elemental Staff>Magic Staff>Staff

Explorer Ring

Wilderness Cape > Regular

*Blue gives better bonuses than black (thanks jwrm22)

**Use this above magic if you need the defense for traveling the SoS or if you're using melee and range to supplement training. (Thanks Monk)

2.3 Melee [MLEE]

sosequipez6.png

Full Helm*>Med>Coif>Cowl>Wizard Hat

Power/Strength>Defense

Rune>any*

FOG gaunts > D hide Vamps>Gloves

SoS boots>Regular

Rune Berserker>Rune Spiked>Rune Kiteshield

Scimitar>Longsword

Explorer Ring

Wilderness Cape > Regular[/hide]

[hide=3.0 YOUR INVENTORY -INVN-]sosinventcw7.png

Explorer Ring>Varrock Runes>Falador Runes> None (if you wish to save space, just use home teleport or get the Ring)

Cornucopia and Desired food>Desired food>Feathers + Fly Fishing Rod

Strength potions (melee)>None

If you wish, you can bring a pickaxe and mine some ores after each run, although I don't recommend it.

A Note on Food [FOOD]

Alternatives to Fishing

Many of you high levels, myself include, may have out-leveled the desire to fish then cook your own food. This is understandable, since the process can be a huge time burden. No fear, there are banks at nearby Edgeville and Varrock. Here are my recommendations:

Cakes

EXTREMELY cheap food. For 85 gp, you get 12hp of healing, in other words, a lobster. For 200gp you can get 15hp on a Chocolate Cake. Of course, since you eat it in 3 bites, it may be problematic, but I shall solve that for you a bit further down.

Wine

Only useful if you are ranging or maging. This is also EXTREMELY useful. 77 coins for 11hp! Too bad it lowers attack, so Warriors won't enjoy this much. It is easily buyable in the GE.

Pizza

Plain being 270, meat 310, and anchovy 470, these can pack quite a lot of healing in, 14, 16, and 18 (!) respectively. You eat it in 2 bites, but it is possible to eat it within 1 round of combat. This is accomplished by eating the first half directly after you hit your opponent, then immediately after that eating the second half.

Pizza can get expensive though.

Stew

160gp for 11hp. Doesn't match wine, and it leaves an annoying empty bowl, but it's still cheap and warriors can use it!

Trout, Salmon, and Tuna

30, 70, and 110 gp;7, 9, and 10 hp respectively. Less useful than the foods above, but you can fish it and buy it quickly and cheaply. If you are having trouble obtaining the other foods, these fish are great also.

Fact is lobsters and swordfish are too expensive to be worth their while.

Cornucopia

Here's the big secret. This is probably one of the most underrated items in the game, perhaps the biggest in F2P. You get it by killing birds of any type. I recommend chickens or seagulls if the former is too crowded.

It holds 14hp worth of food, and you eat it in one bite, and there's no combat delay for filling it! This means you can take the Cornucopia and 27 cakes and essentially get 27 lobsters out of it. Simply click the Cornucopia to heal then use a cake on it to refill it. (Be sure not to eat the cake, although it doesn't matter much.) Pizza can also be stuffed in, although it is less useful. You can, of course, stuff 2 trout in it also, if you choose to fish your food.

Strength Potions

Not exactly food, but it is very helpful. It raises your strength by a nice amount, but it is expensive, 670 for (3) and 890 for (4). The price per dose is the same, but the (3) pots tend to be easier to buy. So the cheapest way to obtain these is to buy a bunch of (3) pots, then have the Herb (Advisor?) "decant" (that is, combine in (4)) your potions.

If you can afford it, always bring these for melee training.[/hide]

[hide=4.0 STARTING OUT -STRT-]Go to the Barbarian Village. Start by fishing a full load of fish. (Leave one space open for early drops, if you are a high level on lower levels you might not need food)

Go to the Helmet Shop (the one Peksa is in), in the center there is a fire. Cook your food there. If you find a fire already by the fishing place, by all means, cook it there. This method is to save 2 inventory spaces (Tinderbox and the wc axe)

Alternatively, if you have food in your bank, you can run to edgeville and take it out. This saves 2 inventory spaces and time. (thanks 25leaf). If your food is raw you can cook it at the stove in the house west of the bank. See section 3.1 (A note on Food) for information about what food to bring.

Enter the SoS and the level in which you desire.[/hide]

[hide=5.0 TRAINING -TRNG-]Levels 30-40: First Level

Levels: 40-90: Second Level

Levels: 65-126: Third Level

Levels: 90-126: Fourth Level

*Although optimal training ends at the third level. The Fourth Level offers no extra xp over the Third.

I know you can train on levels other than recommended, but the training won't be as good.

The color text corresponds to the color dot on the map where I suggested a training spot.

How Much EXP Will I Get? [EXPH]

Here's a formula you can use to find out just how much you will get per hour.

exp=[(60 x m) x h] x 4

m=monsters per minute

h =Monsters' hitpoints

Input the correct numbers in place of the varibles and you get how much exp you will get per hour. This is assuming that you kill a steady amount, so this is what I would do:

• For m average out of 5 different trails

When you get a decimal, round down

Here's a formula to see how many of a monster you have to kill to obtain a certain level or levels.

EXP Table You WILL need it unless your aiming for only one level. Then you can use the in-game stat panel.

Say I just got level 70 attack. I want to get 80 attack. So I have two options:

• I take my current exp and subtract it from the exp for level 80

Add up the totals on the XP Diff.

You will get a number that in t in our formula.

t/(h x 4)=monsters to kill

h= HP on the monster

/=divide

And if you want to know how long it will take to kill all those bubs, you have two options:

• k/ m = time for goal (in minutes)
    (h x 4) /exp per hour (in hours)

h= HP of monster

k= monsters to kill

Of course, if your getting a headache from all this just mindlessly massacring monsters in fine too.

At maxed stats, melee is 45k xp/hour is possible at Giant Spiders, and roughly 40k is possible at Flesh Crawlers. Range gets 35k xp/hr at Giant Spiders, and roughly 30k xp/hr at Flesh Crawlers. Of course, these figures will be lower if you are not at maxed stats.

5.2 RANGE/MAGE [MARN]

I will focus on safespots on which to train behind.

5.21Level One

lvl1.jpg

There is a gate, you can kill minotaurs on both ends. Heaven for Rangers as they drop iron arrows, easily replenishing your supply. Beware, the skeletons on the south-east corner are NOT barriers.

Not as good of a spot, stand west of the gate and kill the wolves plus the occasional wandering goblin.

5.22 Level Two

lvl2gn8.png

Stand in the middle, use the two giant rats as barriers so you can kill the Flesh Crawlers with ease

a bit harder to explain, there's a little gap on the North-West corner. Go to the North-Western most part and take ONE step east. This is a little known safespot. Standing here will protect you against MOST flesh crawlers, but not all. Theres also a safespot next to the southern door. I suggest either one, they give about the same range. Both fail occasionally if you move around a lot.

lvl1ss.jpg

lvl2ss2.jpg

An easy one, again, use the giant rat as a barrier to get to the zombies. Might be harder this time because the zombies take up only one square. If the rats wander, however, the safespot is not there. The zombies drop steel arrows, another reason for rangers to train on them.

5.23 Level Three

lvl3.jpg

One is again by the entrance. The other is west of the Stinking Tendrils. Both are good, but the second is better due to good range. The second also doesn't fail.

lvl3ss2.jpg

lvl3ss.jpg

Level Four

First off, this is an Ankou..

Ankou_-3-.gif

"A boney ghost."

And this is not..

Chicken.gif

"Yup, definately a chicken."

Q and A

Q: Why Ankous?

A: Ankous have 60-70HP and level 75-86 all with a max hit of 8. Their respawn rate is fairly quick. The down side is they are often crowded. Ankous are aggressive for 10 minutes.

Q: Where can I find Ankous?

A: Ankous are located at the bottom floor of the Security Stronghold (here's a URL to the map of the Security Stronghold: <!-- m -->http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=stron ... p.htm)<!-- m -->.

F2P Drops

Gold: 1-231

100%: Bones

Weapon:

Armour: Adamant med helm

Runes/Arrows: Law(2), Fire(15), Adamant(5-16)

Misc: Black robe, Rune essence(15 noted), Coal ore(4 noted), Mithril ore(3-7 noted), Uncut gems, Left skull half

P2P Only Drops

100%: Bones

Weapon: Black knife(1-10), Rune javelin(5), Rune spear, Dragon spear

Armour: -

Runes/Arrows: Death(10), Blood(5-11)

Misc: Herbs, Herb seed(1), Limpwurt seed(1), Watermelon seed(1), Jangerberry seed(1), Poison ivy seed(1), Bass, Pure essence(15 noted), Fried mushroom, Mithril ore(3-7 noted), Nature talisman, Weapon poison, Half key, Shield left half(dragon), Clue(lvl 3)

F2P Attack Methods

Note:

I do not have Security Stronghold boots, but these are the best boots in the F2P game, and I recommend using these for ALL F2P attack methods.

<Zaaps1's Edit> The Boots give negative bonuses for Mage and Range, only use them for Mage/Range if you absolutely need the extra defense.

Food

Lobsters>Salmon>Trout

heals 12>heals 9>heals 7

<Zaaps1's Edit>I suggest Salmon if your a high fishing level, and Pike if your not. Read section 3.1 for other (better) foods you can buy and bring.

Bottom floor of Security Stronghold (where Ankous are located, map courtesy Tip.It)

ankouarealj3.png

Safespots ("Room 2")

Any attack method will work down here.

These are not all of them, I'm sure, but these were the ones I found to be pretty good, but are a bit troublesome at times. They're in order from best safespot to worst.

safespot1xt9.png

safespot3tm8.png

safespot2gx9.png

5.3 MELEE [MLTR]

5.31 Level One

lv1sn0.png

Good spot, but there are far less south, so don't wander down.

Not as great, there are less minotaurs.

5.32 Level Two

lv2cf0.png

My Favorite Place! I don't use up too much food, and the drops are just right. Not too many that I have to bank every 2 minutes, and not too little that it's not worth training there.

An OK place, I only use it if I'm collecting Sceptre pieces though.

A good place to train. It has zombies mixed with flesh crawlers.

Not as good as the blue dot, but it's closer to an exit.

5.33 Level Three

lv3fz1.png

These dots are the best spider training grounds. There are more, but those aren't as good. I'd use the one closest to the exit, but use which ever is better for you.

Best place for Catablepons is the northeast one. However, if you're low on food, I suggest the southern most one. I don't usually train on these guys, once again it's for the Sceptre pieces.

5.34 Level Four

lv4sw6.png

Best Ankou place. Best training on the fourth level too. A note: only level 75 ankous are here.

If you want some variety, or are really high level, train here.

Melee

ankoumeleeftpinventzt5.png

This is pretty straight-forward. Lobsters are my favorite food to use as F2P, they are quite easy to catch and heal a reasonable amount of health. You can bring more, or less, but this is probably the best amount, judging by your HP level. I can be down there, for a little less than an hour before being forced to teleport. The profit isn't as great as with P2P, but you can get a bucket-load of Deaths and Adamant Arrows.

<Zaaps1's Edit> Addy med helms are great drops too! Thanks Theoknight2

Bottom floor of Security Stronghold (where Ankous are located, map courtesy Tip.It)

ankouarealj3.png

There are several areas you can kill Ankous in, I documented two.

This is the first ("Room 1"), which I recommend for Melee ONLY.

room1yi5.png

That's just about sums up the bulk of the guide.

The Training Monsters [TNGM]

Here I will provide Bestiary links to ALL monsters suggested IN THIS GUIDE.

Monsters in BLUE drop sceptre pieces (yes they are still clickable)

Level One

MINOTAURS

WOLVES

Level Two

ZOMBIES

FLESH CRAWLERS

Level Three

GIANT SPIDERS

(ALL) CATABLEPONS

Level Four

(ALL) ANKOUS

GHOSTS

SKELETONS[/hide]

[hide=6.0 FOR FUN -FRFN-]What I do for fun is I try to gather all four sceptre pieces while using only one inventory of food.

TIPS:

-Start from the top down, it's much easier on your food and morale

-Use the training spots shown in the training section of my guide

-If this were a mini-game, it would be a high-risk one. Run for it if you are about to die!

-I always used to get stuck on the Catablepons. I used up all my food on them. Turns out I went to the wrong place to kill them. Use the Northern ones, stay away from the south.

-Also regarding the Catablepons, they use weaken, which lowers your strength up to 9 levels below your regular level. It's not as much of a threat as it sounds, however. If your strength is below 60, take d hide. If not, stick with armor. Remember they still have a melee attack. (thanks thekiller308)

-Again regarding Catablepoons, if you are using a safespot, their magic attack won't be cast. Not that it would matter since you are using a safe spot -

THE SCEPTRE [sCPTR]

Shortbow (take the next level bow as well, as you could level up there) and iron/bronze arrows against the Minotaurs will usually give you more arrows than you started with, save and shoot bronze as well as iron.

Level 1 is truly the ranger paradise, unaggressive monsters, easy safespots (fences for both the 12's and 27's) and arrow droppers, what more can a ranger ask for. Maging on level 1 is a similar tactic to range, while for melee, they don't hit particularly high.

Level 2 has some "hard to work" safespots for the range/magers, a "slow" pair of Crawlers in the corridor to the est, for lower level melee. and a room full of "any level aggressive" Crawlers at the southeast to delight higher level melee fighters - the room to go to if you need their sceptre piece.

Level 3, now it gets scary, the things here can hit you for 6, even as you bail out through the door. The catablepon have a rocksolid safespot on the west wall of the northwest room, though you'll take a couple of hits getting there. They are a grade A pain to melee fighters, with their weaken spell and melee combat, and also seem quite resistant to magic attacks. They can weaken and attack at the same time, so don't waste strength potions, they'll neutralize the potion in no time and still hit you as well.

Level 4, the Ankou.... RESPECT: They can hit 8, and while they CAN be brought down by a rune weaponed Iron pure, it can be an eating contest.

A couple of very fragile cover spots in the northwest room are only effective when they are no longer aggressive, while there is a spot that is a bit more defensible in the south room, second room to the east.

They are a good target for crumble undead.

One bonus for cheapskate prayer trainers, the level 1 rats on any floor (well 1 and 2 at lest, I think there are also rats on 3) drop bones, unlike rats in the open.

[/hide]

[hide=7.0 MEMBERS SECTION -MEMB-]Just because your a member doesn't mean the SoS should be forgotten!

Although not as good as some member's training spots, the SoS is not obsolete. Slayer tasks take you there, and as a member you can stay longer and be more efficient in your training.

You can supplement your melee training with a cannon. The Giant Spider rooms on the 3rd level are great for this. As are most 4th level rooms.

I suggest the following for melee:

HELM- Slayer Mask (if on task) > Berserker/Neitzinot Helm

PLATE-Dragon > Fighter Torso > Granite > Rune

LEGS-D Skirt/Legs > Rune legs

SHIELD-Rune Defender > Obby shield

CAPE-Fire > Achievement > Obby

BOOTS-Dragon > Rune > Addy > Climbing

GLOVES-Best RFD > FOG Gaunts > Best Vamps

AMMY-*Salve (-/e) (for Ankou) > Fury > Glory > Power > Strength

I'm not much of a ranger. But I'd say best range gear with Crystal/Rune Xbow with broad bolts.

Of course, Void is best if you have it.

For training, ankous aren't bad. Averaging about 53k exp per hour. I wouldn't suggest barrows as it is overkill. They don't hit high for p2p. I'd use:

HELM-Beserker, warrior, black mask if you happen to be on slayer

AMMY-Salve or Salve(e)>Fury>Glory> all the other good stuff

PLATE-Fighter Torso>best other plate

LEGS-D skirt/legs>best other

RING-Beserker/warrior>wealth>ring of life. It's really not nessicary, but you never know!

GLOVES-Best rfd>FOG Gaunts > best vamps

BOOTS-dragon > rune> climbing > addy

Again, Void if you have it.

While Guthans is good for camping, bones to peaches (tabs or spell) is even better. It allows you to stay for an extremely long time, for as long as your runes/tabs allow. (Thanks squidsquash!)

7.1 Slayer

Suppose you've never been to the SoS before. Suddenly- "Your next task is to kill 120 Ankous". First reaction? WTF IS AN ANKOU?!? I would guess, but SoS Slayer isn't all that bad.

BURTHOPE TASKS-

Personally, I went here for the "wolf" and "spider" tasks. Wolf, first level, spiders, third. Although White Wolf Mountain is better for wolves as it is closer to the Master.

Not many people Burthope tasks anymore, but for those who do, the SoS is a very viable option.

Other than that, go to the needed room to complete your assignment. A few notes-

-DO NOT MAGE CATAPLEPOONS. The drops won't cover food/barrows/runes. (Although the clues might, but you won't get much from a level 2)

-Mage/Range FLESH CRAWLERS in the room with 2 giant rats west of the entrance ladder, unless you don't mind getting hit.[/hide]

[hide=8.0 ENDING NOTES -ENNT-]Once again, thanks for reading. Don-t forget to reply =). Also, please post any corrections or anything you would like to add here. Thanks.[/hide]

[hide=9.0 CREDITS -CRDT-]Tip.It for their awesome guides and the SoS pictures

Indizle for introducing the tabs system to me

Kuroi_Ame for letting me use bits and pieces of his guide on Ankous. Link can be found in the beginning of the guide

Monk for all the help correcting errors in the guide.

001hayden1 for the Magic Equipment picture.

Sonic3190, Redyellow4 and Pinkbullet for corrections

squidsquash for mentioning b2p for p2p ankous

AgingMiser for Ranged Xp Info

Me for making this guide :thumbsup:

And readers like you for posting!!! :wink:[/hide]

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll post some updates that I want to add here, as well as version updates.

FEB.25.2007-Images fixed, corrections made.

FEB.26.2007-Banner Added, corrections made, links to bestiary added.

MAR.15.2007-Small improvements, added How Much EXP Will I Get? section.

AUG.18.2007-MEMBERS SECTION added

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finding more safespots.

Improving formulas

Getting more members info

~reserved~

It's really good, you've obviously done some research and figured out exactly how to effectively train down there. 8/10 until you get the pics to work, then 9/10.

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

It's really good, you've obviously done some research and figured out exactly how to effectively train down there. 8/10 until you get the pics to work, then 9/10.

Thanks, I'm working on the pics now, getting them re-hosted on a different hoster.

*Black and Blue mage robes give the same bonuses

WRONG!!!!

nice guide anyway :wink:

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

It's a very nice guide but I think there are some small errors in it.

SOS boots give a negative range and magic bonus so normal boots or no boots should be used instead. And for training in the stronghold I would recommend a Shortbow and Iron arrows - that's what I did and a lot of monsters drop iron arrows so you don't lose that much while training.

You also misspelled Litria as Libra when you were talking about the skeleton in the first room. Aside from that great guide.

I'll fix those when I get the images booted up. Thanks for replying.

Oh, the Cookies (Images) are done!!!!!

Turns out all I had to do was delete the space after the :oops:

Shortbow (take the next level bow as wel, as you could level up there) and iron/bronze arrows against the Minotaurs will usually give you more arrows than you started with, save and shoot bronze as well as iron.

Level 1 is truly the ranger paradise, unagressive monsters, easy safespots (fences for both the 12's and 27's) and arrow droppers, what more can a ranger ask for.

Maging on level 1 is a similar tactic to range, while for melee, they don't hit particularly high.

Level 2 has some "hard to work" safespots for the range/magers, a "slow" pair of Crawlers in the corridor to the est, for lower level melee. and a room full of "any level aggressive" Crawlers at the southeast to delight higher level melee fighters - the room to go to if you need their sceptre piece.

Level 3, now it gets scary, the things here can hit you for 6, even as you bail out through the door. The catablepon have a rocksolid safespot on the west wall of the northwest room, though you'll take a couple of hits getting there. They are a grade A pain to melee fighters, with their weaken spell and melee combat, and also seem quite resistant to magic attacks. They can weaken and attack at the same time, so don't waste strength potions, they'll neutralize the potion in no time and still hit you as well.

Level 4, the Ankou.... RESPECT: They can hit 8, and while they CAN be brought down by a rune weaponed Iron pure, it can be an eating contest.

A couple of very fragile cover spots in the northwest room are only effective when they are no longer aggressive, while there is a spot that is a bit more defensible in the south room, second room to the east.

One bonus for cheapskate prayer trainers, the level 1 rats on any floor (well 1 and 2 at lest, I think there are also rats on 3) drop bones, unlike rats in the open.

Shortbow (take the next level bow as wel, as you could level up there) and iron/bronze arrows against the Minotaurs will usually give you more arrows than you started with, save and shoot bronze as well as iron.

Level 1 is truly the ranger paradise, unagressive monsters, easy safespots (fences for both the 12's and 27's) and arrow droppers, what more can a ranger ask for.

Maging on level 1 is a similar tactic to range, while for melee, they don't hit particularly high.

I'll quote you on that when I add a Sceptre part of the guide. Thanks.

C'mon people. Post away!

Anyone got any suggestions? I feel like it's missing something......

Not that this is anything big, but there's a better located fire in the longhall. There are two there, and it's a little bit closer than Peska's.

Also, I believe that the Catablepons use magic-based melee (similar to bloodvelds, pyrefiends, jellies, etc.) so bringing dragonhide specifically to kill them might be good for melee when going for the sceptre. I'm not 100% sure on this, though; if someone could confirm/refute this, it would be helpful.

EDIT: A quick look at the bestiary tells me that they use magic to lower your strength, but they don't use magic-based melee. Is this just a rumor/my imagination?

Just a couple things I think that might help the guide.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

Not that this is anything big, but there's a better located fire in the longhall. There are two there, and it's a little bit closer than Peska's.

Also, I believe that the Catablepons use magic-based melee (similar to bloodvelds, pyrefiends, jellies, etc.) so bringing dragonhide specifically to kill them might be good for melee when going for the sceptre. I'm not 100% sure on this, though; if someone could confirm/refute this, it would be helpful.

EDIT: A quick look at the bestiary tells me that they use magic to lower your strength, but they don't use magic-based melee. Is this just a rumor/my imagination?

Just a couple things I think that might help the guide.

The fire is closer to the fishing spot, but Peksa's is closer to the SoS. They balance out, but you might get distracted at Longhall.

True, the magic attack lowers your strength. I will add that. But after many "sceptre runs" (see the For Fun section) I've found that armor still works better. Unless your strength is exceptionally low, use armor.

No one's posting....that means my guides perfect then? It can't be perfect otherwise it would be in AoW :thumbsup: .

Anyway i can make this thing better?

Hey, this guide should have information about mosters and drops!

Also, recheck colours of your marks, sometimes kinda hard to notice at first sight.

I'll get working on the drops.

Might work on colors too if I got time.

I will list all the best training places or EVERY combat skill
might want to fix that.

Just laughed hysterically at that, I don't know why. Thanks.

3.2 Mage: Pic to come [MGIK]

Wizard Hat*>Coif/Cowl/Med/Full helms

Magic>Power>Accuracy

Full Mage Robes*>leather/armor**

Gloves>Vamps

SoS boots>regular

**Only if you need the defense and donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t care about the magic attack. If you REALLY need it, use the armor.

Sos boots give around a negative 3 magic bonus for attack, so You might not want to use them unless you really want the extra deffence.

If you already have food in your bank, just run up to Edgeville bank and grab between runs. It is quicker then fishing it, and it saves two inventory spots that are taken up by the pole and bait/fathers.

Other then that great guide! I will be using it when I go down there to do some training.

9/10.

3.2 Mage: Pic to come [MGIK]

Wizard Hat*>Coif/Cowl/Med/Full helms

Magic>Power>Accuracy

Full Mage Robes*>leather/armor**

Gloves>Vamps

SoS boots>regular

**Only if you need the defense and donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t care about the magic attack. If you REALLY need it, use the armor.

Sos boots give around a negative 3 magic bonus for attack, so You might not want to use them unless you really want the extra deffence.

If you already have food in your bank, just run up to Edgeville bank and grab between runs. It is quicker then fishing it, and it saves two inventory spots that are taken up by the pole and bait/fathers.

Other then that great guide! I will be using it when I go down there to do some training.

9/10.

Thanks and I'll add that now.